ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#621 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:16 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-owners-have-complained-about-49ers-compensatory-picks-for-developing-people-of-color

That's a good look. This is crazy, but maybe if your team developed some minority coaching candidates, it wouldn't be such a problem.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#622 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, I just managed to delete a pretty lengthy post I was almost done with. Short version: Young hasn't been great, but disappointing high picks are judged more harshly than they should be, especially when they are playing for other teams. Clelin Ferrell was an absolute bust as a top-5 pick, but he's actually a solid base end who is a valuable part of a rotation. Young should be in a role where he is playing 30 snaps a game, mostly rushing the passer, but now he's playing 50+, so we're going to see more mistakes.

The Ferrell injury sucks, as he isn't the player against the run that Ferrell is, and he's also worse against the pass as he's not fresh. But the run D was looking shaky before Ferrell went down. Arizona crushed us on the ground, going for 234 yards (150 by RBs). Several teams that didn't run for a lot of overall yardage still had lead backs average nearly 5 YPC. We need the entire defensive unit to come out aggressive, clean up their assignments, angles, etc. We have the potential to really stymie this KC offense, but it's going to take very strong execution by all eleven guys on the field.

I don't think Ferrell is/has been judged harshly overall by 49er fans. We knew coming in what he was good at and what he wasn't good at during his time with the Raiders. I don't think the expectations were that high to begin with and he has done what I think most people were expecting of him. CY on the other hand, it depends. If he really is messing up assignments and not stopping the run this is a valid cause of concern and knock in him. And if any of the rumors are true that he hasn't been playing hard at certain times than any criticism he gets is well deserved.

Ferrell was absolutely judged harshly by the Raiders fan-base. He came in to the Niners on a cheap one-year deal, so expectations were low and he probably exceeded them (though not in the pass rush vein). I guess the point I'm trying to make is that expectations for Young shouldn't have been that much different. We got him for a pick that will likely fall after #100. That's almost nothing (granted slightly more than we got for Trey Lance....). Anyone expecting him to be a game-changer was fooling themselves.

We know Ferrell was judged harshly by the team that drafted him but I thought the point here was how the subsequent fan base judged him. At least from what I've been reading the criticisms that Young is getting is in part having to do with a lack of effort and taking plays off which no one is saying Ferrell was doing. Also, Ferrell's issue coming from the Raiders is that he wasn't a good pass rusher but he has been an effective run stopper. Whereas Young was supposed to be a good pass rusher but he isn't doing anything particularly well and actually hurting the defense by blowing assignments. I don't think the same thing could be said of Ferrell
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#623 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:59 am

Read on Twitter

Dude is easily the best, non QB, offensive player.

What a great, incredibly versatile player.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#624 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:06 am

Read on Twitter

Well deserved, dude was incredible.

While his career may have lacked longevity, he was truly ELITE for the duration of his run.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#625 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:31 am

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#626 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:50 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

While his career may have lacked longevity, he was truly ELITE for the duration of his run.

So glad he finally made it in. He's been waiting too long, even with the short career. He was among the best in the game basically from the time he stepped on the field until he stepped off it. No doubt Kuechly will make it much sooner despite remarkably similar careers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#627 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:53 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lamar deserved it. Totally bogus that Dak bested Brock by so much, but presumably Brock and CMC split the vote a bit. Hopefully it fires up Brock and the team going into the SB.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#628 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

So glad he finally made it in. He's been waiting too long, even with the short career. He was among the best in the game basically from the time he stepped on the field until he stepped off it. No doubt Kuechly will make it much sooner despite remarkably similar careers.

For a brief time, I thought Bowman was better.

And he was a vocal leader on that defense.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#629 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:25 pm

In terms of great news, Trent reaffirming that he’s here to stay for at least a couple more win or lose is up there.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#630 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 pm

wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

For a brief time, I thought Bowman was better.

And he was a vocal leader on that defense.

Together they were insane. Partly it was different era; hard to play better than Fred is under the new rules, but as hard as he hits it pales in comparison with what those two wildcats were putting out over there, and the amount of turf those two alone kept clean was astonishing. When Alton was off to maybe the best pass rushing start in history next to them and a toolbox like Brooks, they had the makings of one of the greatest lb corps in history. Then, of course, everything happened all at once.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#631 » by Jikkle » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:30 am

I know I sound like a broken record but if this offensive line isn't revamped this offseason I don't know how closely I'll follow this team next season.

I'm just frustrated beyond words about it and I just can't wrap my head around how garbage it is

Don't get me wrong I understand the philosophy behind it. I get that offensive line in generally is grossly overpaid vs the production you get. I get that Shanahan wants smaller guys and that he can scheme guys into favorable blocks. But that doesn't change the fact that it can't be as awful as it has been and other teams run similar offenses and still have at least decent offensive line.

I think what frustrates me the most is with as much draft capital as we've had over the years why they haven't allocated more resources into the position group especially if you want it to be "cheap" labor.

Look at our 3rd rounds over the past couple of seasons. Kicker, 2 RBs that had 0 impact on the team, and a TE that was completely useless and they basically redshirted oh and another WR that we basically didn't bother to activate this year either. We should be overdrafting the position until it's right.

We don't even need a top 5 line or anything. If we had a top 15 offensive line we'd be celebrating a Super Bowl victory right now

Return to San Francisco 49ers