CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 962

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#1021 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 2, 2024 5:07 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dude, your bias against Kyle is forcing you to be incredibly simple minded with this topic.

You are holding Kyle to literally the highest possible standard and demand he meet that standard or else he's a complete failure in your eyes. You are allowing exactly ZERO context to enter the equation.

To answer your question, Andy Reid immediately comes to mind. Reid was in Philly for 14 years, only making 1 Super Bowl appearance which he didn't win. Then it took it until his 7th season in KC to finally win a Lombardi at age 61. I think maybe, Patrick Mahomes, may just have a little bit to say on why Reid is now being considered an all time great despite it taking 20 years for him to get his 1st ring.

Bill Cowher didn't win a championship until his 14th year in Pittsburgh at age 48. He had one other SB appearance in his 4th year.

John Fox also comes to mind. Dude spend 9 years in Carolina making 1 Super Bowl appearance in his 2nd season which he didn't win. Then went on to Denver and won a Lombardi in his 3rd year there at age 58. I think maybe Peyton Manning and an all time caliber defense had a little something to do with that.

Tony Dungy was in Tampa for 6 years and only had 2 total playoff wins, then goes to Indy and despite having prime Peyton Manning the entire time, it took 5 more years to win a Lombardi there at age 51. In Dungy's 7 years in Indy, they only got past the 1st round of the playoffs 1 other time.

a 38 year old, first time head coach, Kyle inherited a 2-14 team that was all but devoid of talent, including NOTHING at QB. Dude got that 2-14 team to a Super Bowl in his 3rd season. Also got to the Super Bowl with 2 different QB's, both of which were highly unheralded. So yeah, I would be fine with Kyle should a rebuilding situation arise.

So you are considering a legitimate perennial Super Bowl contender to be a "high level treadmill team?" Its quite obvious you don't realize how hard it is to win in the NFL, let alone do it consistently.

As for me personally, yes I'm pretty happy when going into a season my team is firmly among the select few that have realistic/legitimate chances of bringing home the Lombardi. Let alone holding that position despite not having a truly elite QB. And Kyle Shanahan is a very big reason why 49er fans have been able to go into the last 4 seasons with those aspirations, and will do so again next season for the 5th consecutive year.

Go ask a Jets fan how they would feel about fielding your version of a "high level treadmill team."

Kubiak was coaching Denver when they won.

Ahh, you are right. Good call.

Kubiak is still a good example. 8 years in Houston with only 2 total playoff wins, then lands in Denver with historically good defense and Peyton Manning and wins a Lombardi his first year there. Although it is worth noting that Peyton was physically a shell of his former self that season, but his still elite brain was able to read/manipulate defenses.

Yeah, doesn't really change the overarching argument.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1022 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 6, 2024 6:50 pm

I hesitate to even post this, knowing how at least one person will react, but one guy's QB ranking, with Purdy coming in at 16:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-top-quarterbacks-patrick-mahomes-josh-allen-justin-herbert-lamar-jackson/

A few thoughts. (UPDATE: this turned into a lot of thoughts. I'm not well....)

First, it gets pretty difficult to parse guys the higher you go. These are all really good QBs, and you can't really divorce them from their situations. People - especially people who don't watch a lot of these players - will naturally elevate physical ability over mental acumen. Still, 16 seems hard to justify to me.

A lot is made of Purdy's supporting cast. And yes, it's very good. But which of these guys at or near the top doesn't have a really good supporting cast? Purdy's interior OL - and really his entire OL outside of Williams - is at best ordinary. So sure, he may have the best collection of skill players, though it's close with a few of these guys, but I would argue he has one of the worst OLs among the top contenders. And that never seems to be considered in looking at his supporting cast. People see Williams and the skill players and conclude it's a rock solid group. I assure you, it's not.

In terms of specific players that stood out (in relation to Purdy or overall ranking or rationale), Purdy is one spot above Mayfield. Mayfield has been a solid player, but he doesn't have much more arm talent than Purdy and Purdy is probably more mobile. And he's just demonstrably not nearly as good. He regularly doesn't come through in the clutch.

15) Kyler Murray. He has physical talent, but he doesn't see the field nearly as well a Purdy, and as a result hasn't had nearly the success Purdy has. Maybe that changes with Marvin Harrison and an improved roster overall, but I think it's a stretch to have him above Purdy. At least he's one guy who hasn't had a great cast around him.

14) Jalen Hurts. Another guy who clearly has physical talent. And he's at least brought his team to the threshold. But he kind of fell apart last year. Definitely some of that could be attributed to injuries, especially late in the year. But for a guy without a ton of track record, I think there's a strong argument he needs to prove it again to be ahead of some others. Granted I would personally have him higher than he is. Also another guy with an incredible supporting cast.

13) Jared Goff??? Seriously? Look, Goff is actually an underrated player. He's got a good arm. He's accurate. He's fairly smart. But he simply cannot play under pressure. You want to talk supporting casts? This year he had probably a top-3 OL, was throwing to an elite WR, had a borderline elite TE who came on down the stretch, and probably the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league. And maybe he beats the Niners in the NFCCG if his receivers make one or two more catches, but he also choked in crunch time when the pressure was getting home. He scored zero points in the second half of his last game, until it was under a minute and his team was down 10. The flip side of the Niners' great comeback was Detroit being unable to score, though some of that at least is on Campbell. With the Rams, he was very much along for the ride with an incredible run game and elite defense.

12) Kirk Cousins. A very good QB who is still a half-step behind the best, and who hasn't been able to get it done when it counts. His supporting cast is also very good, with an elite WR and TE, though his OL hasn't always been great. He sees it, he can make the throws, but he just hasn't been able to get over the hump with signature wins when it counts.

11) Dak Prescott? Come on. Again, good QB. He is somewhat more physically limited than others on this list, but he's got more than enough talent to play at a high level. And in the regular season, he has crushed it. But how can you rank a guy with his degree of playoff collapses over others on this list? Not for me.

10) Trevor Lawrence. This might be the biggest surprise. I'm going to do a deeper dive on this one since it's hard for me to reconcile with what we've seen from him.

Look, Lawrence is very talented. And you could argue his supporting cast wasn't as good as others on this list last year. And sure, he was banged up down the stretch this past year. But let's consider that schedule differential (8-3, then 0-5 down the stretch). In the 8-3 run, he beat the Bills at home 25-20, the Steelers on the road 20-10, and the Texans on the road 24-21. Those were the three playoff teams he beat last season. The three losses were by more than one score to KC, HOU, and us, and the latter two were blowouts. During the losing streak, he dropped games to the Bengals, Browns, Ravens, Bucs, and Titans. So it sure seems like he drew most of the tough games late in the year.

He had a solid game against the Bills (315 and a TD, no INTs), but nothing phenomenal. The ground game accounted for 196 yards and 2 TDs (he had 31 yards). He also fumbled three times and lost two. The team had two nice drives toward the end of the game to put them in the lead, but the run game did the heavy lifting. The first drive ended with Etienne runs of 10, 11, and 6 yards for a TD. Tough to credit him too much when he didn't attempt a pass in the red zone. On the next, Etienne scored on a 35-yard run. In fact, in both drives, he accounted for only 74 yards (168 yards total). And when they had a chance to put the game away late, they ran it three times and did not convert (tough to fault them for running it given the recent success).

Against the Steelers, Pickett got injured shortly before halftime. Boswell hit a 55-yarder that would have made it 9-6, but it was nullified by a false start and he missed the 61-yarder. Trubisky came in, put up a passer rating of 51 in the second half, and they lost 20-10. Against the Texans, he had a good game, but turtled up late, producing only three points in the fourth quarter and ending the last two drives with a nine-yard drive that resulted in a missed 55-yard FG attempt (Houston didn't pick up a fourth down) and 29-yard drive for a punt (he was 1 of 3 for 6 yards). Houston got the ball back with three minutes left down by three, but missed their own long FG. And then his team went down the crapper against a lineup of good teams.

When he made the playoffs in 2022, he was downright awful to start his first playoff game, against the Chargers, but bounced back to have a big-time performance and a win. Then he struggled a bit in a loss to the Chiefs. Lawrence could be one of the better QBs in the league at some point, but he's not nearly there yet. Top-10 is generous for a guy who just hasn't gotten it done. Though again, not a great cast.

9) Aaron Rodgers. I mean, on legacy, sure. Today? I don't know. If ever there was a dude who needs to prove it on the field before resuming this spot, it's him. Serious injury, he's old, maybe crazy, and we haven't seen him play with this new team. He still put up good numbers in 2022, but well off his pace from former seasons: fewest yards of his healthy seasons, second-worst YPA of his career, tied for worst TDs, and worst INTs outside of his first year as a starter. Lowest passer rating of his career, and lowest QBR by 17 points. I think it's far from a guarantee he bounces back to be one of the elites.

8) Jordan Love. This is a real surprise, too. Seems high for a guy who only has one successful season and collapsed down the stretch in the playoffs himself. Very talented player who was a bit of a revelation in his first season as the starter, especially as he was playing with a very young supporting cast. He absolutely blew out the Cowboys on the road in the playoffs. Though we all know what that's worth. But I would argue we need to see more of him. Teams will be better prepared to defend him this year. And make no mistake: the Niners only made the SB this year because he collapsed down the stretch. He was awful in the last few drives of the playoff game against the Niners, while Purdy stepped up and played his best ball of the game. If Purdy had a similar playoff collapse, people would be saying it was all a mirage and he doesn't belong in the league.

Skipping a few here that are tough to argue with.

5) CJ Stroud. Look, really promising player. And maybe he's already on the mountain top. But it feels pretty early to have him here. He took an awful team and brought them to relevance startlingly quickly. But he also has an awesome coach. Like Love, when last we saw him, he was floundering against the Ravens. And certainly Purdy had a similarly awful (frankly a lot worse) performance against the Ravens, but this was a rematch and a playoff game. He had 5.3 YPA for no TDs. He just...didn't do anything. I think you've got to knock a guy for that.

4) Justin Herbert. Really, really talented. But fourth? For a guy who has made the playoffs once in four years? And in that one game, lost to Lawrence when Lawrence threw four picks? Mustered only 273 yards and a TD against a mediocre D? Come on. Based on projection, you could argue putting him up here. But I need to see more from a guy to rank him this high. Especially when he wasn't elite in big games in college. Going a little deeper here, too.

Herbert was 2-1 in bowl games, but he didn't perform well in those games. He lost his first one 38-28 to 25th-ranked Boise State. He threw for 233 yards, two TDs and two INTs. His team had two pick-sixes and he still lost by 10. The offense didn't generate points until there were ten minutes left in the game (and 67 first-half yards), and only scored a second time with one minute left trailing by 17. He won his second bowl game 7-6 against unranked Michigan State - he threw for 166 yards and one TD.

And he beat 8th-ranked Wisconsin 28-27, but he threw for 138 yards, no TDs, and an INT (to be fair, he ran for three TDs). I didn't watch this one, seems like an odd one. Oregon scored 28 and won despite generating 204 yards of total offense. Glancing at the box score and play-by-play, they had one long TD drive (75 yards) to start the game. After that, they went INT, punt (0 yards on the drive), punt (4 yards), punt (-3 yards), punt (2 yards), downs (9 yards) before mustering a TD off an INT (Herbert threw for 15 yards, RB for 13, then Herbert for five-yard TD run). In the second half, they punted three times (drives of seven, 25, and four yards) and had a TD on a one-play, Herbert TD run (30 yards). Just bizarre.

Broadening the scope beyond bowl games, his career is just a weird one. In 2019, he knocked off #5 Utah, but he threw for 193 yards and a TD while his RB went for 208 yards and three TDs. His best game was a 35-31 win against #25 Washington where he threw for 280 yards and 4 TDs. That's the closest thing he had to a signature win. And again, just a weird game. Long TD drive to start, then three three-and-outs followed by a punt after five plays. After that, he got into more of a groove.

So yeah, Herbert is super talented. And he's played well in the league. But he's a guy who struggled to find signature wins against good competition in college, and the same trend has continued in the pros. I need a guy to do that to rank him fourth overall.

3) Joe Burrow. Less to quibble with here as Burrow has won a lot more than Herbert. He's a really talented QB. But I don't know that his ceiling is all that much higher than Purdy's. He's physically talented, with a good if not great arm and solid athleticism, but at the end of the day, you're probably talking two or three throws again that he makes that Purdy cannot. He also has a very good supporting cast, though his OL might be the worst of the guys who are at the top of this list and have had actual NFL success other than Purdy. Ultimately, I can't think of a guy who deserves this spot more.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1023 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 6, 2024 6:59 pm

And I haven't even really gotten to Purdy. So where does he stack up? Probably the most physically limited player among the top-16. He's more mobile than many of these guys (Goff and Stafford spring to mind), and more accurate than many. Those are physical abilities that can be underrated if you're not Lamar or Kyler in terms of athleticism. But his vision, anticipation, pocket presence, and toughness rival any of the other guys on this list except perhaps the very best IMO.

This author is dismissive of advanced metrics, which may be fair to a point, but when all a guy has done is produce, it's hard to continue to discount him. Look at overall stats, and Purdy has been phenomenal for this stage of his career. Look at the wins and losses, and he's even better.

Look at his performance in playoff games, and he arguably looks better still. In a limited sample size, he came out the gate in his first playoff game and struggled against a fired-up Seattle team. He then buckled down and absolutely shredded them to win comfortably. He wasn't great against Dallas, but he didn't make mistakes, made some clutch plays late, and got the win. This year, he struggled in bad weather (a major concern for him, still) against GB, but again buckled down and made the necessary plays late. When he got the ball late, down four, he engineered a long TD drive. He accounted for 49 passing yards and 9 rushing yards (58 total) in the 69-yard drive. His nine-yard scramble on 2nd and 10 set up McCaffrey's game-winning TD run on 3rd and 1. He was again dynamic in the comeback against the Lions, making plays with his legs to seal the game. And he had the best playoff performance against the Chiefs by far this year, putting his team in the lead the last three times he touched the ball.

Ultimately, he's a hard guy to rank, but I feel confident that he's better than 16th.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: 

Post#1024 » by Jikkle » Tue May 7, 2024 5:53 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I hesitate to even post this, knowing how at least one person will react, but one guy's QB ranking, with Purdy coming in at 16:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-top-quarterbacks-patrick-mahomes-josh-allen-justin-herbert-lamar-jackson/

A few thoughts. (UPDATE: this turned into a lot of thoughts. I'm not well....)

First, it gets pretty difficult to parse guys the higher you go. These are all really good QBs, and you can't really divorce them from their situations. People - especially people who don't watch a lot of these players - will naturally elevate physical ability over mental acumen. Still, 16 seems hard to justify to me.

A lot is made of Purdy's supporting cast. And yes, it's very good. But which of these guys at or near the top doesn't have a really good supporting cast? Purdy's interior OL - and really his entire OL outside of Williams - is at best ordinary. So sure, he may have the best collection of skill players, though it's close with a few of these guys, but I would argue he has one of the worst OLs among the top contenders. And that never seems to be considered in looking at his supporting cast. People see Williams and the skill players and conclude it's a rock solid group. I assure you, it's not.

In terms of specific players that stood out (in relation to Purdy or overall ranking or rationale), Purdy is one spot above Mayfield. Mayfield has been a solid player, but he doesn't have much more arm talent than Purdy and Purdy is probably more mobile. And he's just demonstrably not nearly as good. He regularly doesn't come through in the clutch.

15) Kyler Murray. He has physical talent, but he doesn't see the field nearly as well a Purdy, and as a result hasn't had nearly the success Purdy has. Maybe that changes with Marvin Harrison and an improved roster overall, but I think it's a stretch to have him above Purdy. At least he's one guy who hasn't had a great cast around him.

14) Jalen Hurts. Another guy who clearly has physical talent. And he's at least brought his team to the threshold. But he kind of fell apart last year. Definitely some of that could be attributed to injuries, especially late in the year. But for a guy without a ton of track record, I think there's a strong argument he needs to prove it again to be ahead of some others. Granted I would personally have him higher than he is. Also another guy with an incredible supporting cast.

13) Jared Goff??? Seriously? Look, Goff is actually an underrated player. He's got a good arm. He's accurate. He's fairly smart. But he simply cannot play under pressure. You want to talk supporting casts? This year he had probably a top-3 OL, was throwing to an elite WR, had a borderline elite TE who came on down the stretch, and probably the best 1-2 punch at RB in the league. And maybe he beats the Niners in the NFCCG if his receivers make one or two more catches, but he also choked in crunch time when the pressure was getting home. He scored zero points in the second half of his last game, until it was under a minute and his team was down 10. The flip side of the Niners' great comeback was Detroit being unable to score, though some of that at least is on Campbell. With the Rams, he was very much along for the ride with an incredible run game and elite defense.

12) Kirk Cousins. A very good QB who is still a half-step behind the best, and who hasn't been able to get it done when it counts. His supporting cast is also very good, with an elite WR and TE, though his OL hasn't always been great. He sees it, he can make the throws, but he just hasn't been able to get over the hump with signature wins when it counts.

11) Dak Prescott? Come on. Again, good QB. He is somewhat more physically limited than others on this list, but he's got more than enough talent to play at a high level. And in the regular season, he has crushed it. But how can you rank a guy with his degree of playoff collapses over others on this list? Not for me.

10) Trevor Lawrence. This might be the biggest surprise. I'm going to do a deeper dive on this one since it's hard for me to reconcile with what we've seen from him.

Look, Lawrence is very talented. And you could argue his supporting cast wasn't as good as others on this list last year. And sure, he was banged up down the stretch this past year. But let's consider that schedule differential (8-3, then 0-5 down the stretch). In the 8-3 run, he beat the Bills at home 25-20, the Steelers on the road 20-10, and the Texans on the road 24-21. Those were the three playoff teams he beat last season. The three losses were by more than one score to KC, HOU, and us, and the latter two were blowouts. During the losing streak, he dropped games to the Bengals, Browns, Ravens, Bucs, and Titans. So it sure seems like he drew most of the tough games late in the year.

He had a solid game against the Bills (315 and a TD, no INTs), but nothing phenomenal. The ground game accounted for 196 yards and 2 TDs (he had 31 yards). He also fumbled three times and lost two. The team had two nice drives toward the end of the game to put them in the lead, but the run game did the heavy lifting. The first drive ended with Etienne runs of 10, 11, and 6 yards for a TD. Tough to credit him too much when he didn't attempt a pass in the red zone. On the next, Etienne scored on a 35-yard run. In fact, in both drives, he accounted for only 74 yards (168 yards total). And when they had a chance to put the game away late, they ran it three times and did not convert (tough to fault them for running it given the recent success).

Against the Steelers, Pickett got injured shortly before halftime. Boswell hit a 55-yarder that would have made it 9-6, but it was nullified by a false start and he missed the 61-yarder. Trubisky came in, put up a passer rating of 51 in the second half, and they lost 20-10. Against the Texans, he had a good game, but turtled up late, producing only three points in the fourth quarter and ending the last two drives with a nine-yard drive that resulted in a missed 55-yard FG attempt (Houston didn't pick up a fourth down) and 29-yard drive for a punt (he was 1 of 3 for 6 yards). Houston got the ball back with three minutes left down by three, but missed their own long FG. And then his team went down the crapper against a lineup of good teams.

When he made the playoffs in 2022, he was downright awful to start his first playoff game, against the Chargers, but bounced back to have a big-time performance and a win. Then he struggled a bit in a loss to the Chiefs. Lawrence could be one of the better QBs in the league at some point, but he's not nearly there yet. Top-10 is generous for a guy who just hasn't gotten it done. Though again, not a great cast.

9) Aaron Rodgers. I mean, on legacy, sure. Today? I don't know. If ever there was a dude who needs to prove it on the field before resuming this spot, it's him. Serious injury, he's old, maybe crazy, and we haven't seen him play with this new team. He still put up good numbers in 2022, but well off his pace from former seasons: fewest yards of his healthy seasons, second-worst YPA of his career, tied for worst TDs, and worst INTs outside of his first year as a starter. Lowest passer rating of his career, and lowest QBR by 17 points. I think it's far from a guarantee he bounces back to be one of the elites.

8) Jordan Love. This is a real surprise, too. Seems high for a guy who only has one successful season and collapsed down the stretch in the playoffs himself. Very talented player who was a bit of a revelation in his first season as the starter, especially as he was playing with a very young supporting cast. He absolutely blew out the Cowboys on the road in the playoffs. Though we all know what that's worth. But I would argue we need to see more of him. Teams will be better prepared to defend him this year. And make no mistake: the Niners only made the SB this year because he collapsed down the stretch. He was awful in the last few drives of the playoff game against the Niners, while Purdy stepped up and played his best ball of the game. If Purdy had a similar playoff collapse, people would be saying it was all a mirage and he doesn't belong in the league.

Skipping a few here that are tough to argue with.

5) CJ Stroud. Look, really promising player. And maybe he's already on the mountain top. But it feels pretty early to have him here. He took an awful team and brought them to relevance startlingly quickly. But he also has an awesome coach. Like Love, when last we saw him, he was floundering against the Ravens. And certainly Purdy had a similarly awful (frankly a lot worse) performance against the Ravens, but this was a rematch and a playoff game. He had 5.3 YPA for no TDs. He just...didn't do anything. I think you've got to knock a guy for that.

4) Justin Herbert. Really, really talented. But fourth? For a guy who has made the playoffs once in four years? And in that one game, lost to Lawrence when Lawrence threw four picks? Mustered only 273 yards and a TD against a mediocre D? Come on. Based on projection, you could argue putting him up here. But I need to see more from a guy to rank him this high. Especially when he wasn't elite in big games in college. Going a little deeper here, too.

Herbert was 2-1 in bowl games, but he didn't perform well in those games. He lost his first one 38-28 to 25th-ranked Boise State. He threw for 233 yards, two TDs and two INTs. His team had two pick-sixes and he still lost by 10. The offense didn't generate points until there were ten minutes left in the game (and 67 first-half points), and only scored a second time with one minute left trailing by 17. He won his second bowl game 7-6 against unranked Michigan State - he threw for 166 yards and one TD.

And he beat 8th-ranked Wisconsin 28-27, but he threw for 138 yards, no TDs, and an INT (to be fair, he ran for three TDs). I didn't watch this one, seems like an odd one. Oregon scored 28 and won despite generating 204 yards of total offense. Glancing at the box score and play-by-play, they had one long TD drive (75 yards) to start the game. After that, they went INT, punt (0 yards on the drive), punt (4 yards), punt (-3 yards), punt (2 yards), downs (9 yards) before mustering a TD off an INT (Herbert threw for 15 yards, RB for 13, then Herbert for five-yard TD run). In the second half, they punted three times (drives of seven, 25, and four yards) and had a TD on a one-play, Herbert TD run (30 yards). Just bizarre.

Broadening the scope beyond bowl games, his career is just a weird one. In 2019, he knocked off #5 Utah, but he threw for 193 yards and a TD while his RB went for 208 yards and three TDs. His best game was a 35-31 win against #25 Washington where he threw for 280 yards and 4 TDs. That's the closest thing he had to a signature win. And again, just a weird game. Long TD drive to start, then three three-and-outs followed by a punt after five plays. After that, he got into more of a groove.

So yeah, Herbert is super talented. And he's played well in the league. But he's a guy who struggled to find signature wins against good competition in college, and the same trend has continued in the pros. I need a guy to do that to rank him fourth overall.

3) Joe Burrow. Less to quibble with here as Burrow has won a lot more than Herbert. He's a really talented QB. But I don't know that his ceiling is all that much higher than Purdy's. He's physically talented, with a good if not great arm and solid athleticism, but at the end of the day, you're probably talking two or three throws again that he makes that Purdy cannot. He also has a very good supporting cast, though his OL might be the worst of the guys who are at the top of this list and have had actual NFL success other than Purdy. Ultimately, I can't think of a guy who deserves this spot more.

I'd take Purdy over Kyler, Hurts, Cousins, Goff, and Dak. Love and Stroud are up for debate but they are ranked too high on this list especially Stroud. But the difference between Love, Stroud, and Purdy wasn't that large so I don't see how you rank Love and Stroud in the top 10 but have Purdy ranked 16th.

Was never a fan of the weapons argument when used against Purdy because it never takes into account the offensive line which outside of Trent was complete garbage in pass protection and why isn't it used against other QBs? Both Goff and Hurts played behind excellent offensive lines and have good supporting casts so how come they aren't knocked for that?

The Purdy narrative is just one of the oddest ones I've seen in football in a while because goalposts are constantly jumping all over the place. Plays well but people want to see how he does in adversity so he has adversity but people complained that he didn't play well despite coming up clutch to win the Packers and Lions playoff games....So somehow he has to play a perfect game but have guys fumble the ball all the time and defense give up points so he can play a great game but still have adversity.

I'm not even head over heels for Purdy like a lot of fans are in thinking he's Joe Montana 2.0 but he definitely gets way more criticism than he deserves and hey he's got far better results in games that matter so far than a lot of QBs listed higher than him.

I mean Rodgers, Lamar, Allen, and Dak are all big time chokers in the playoffs so would you take the less talented guy that gets it done when it matters or the more talented MVP type guys that always fall short when it matters most.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1025 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 7, 2024 4:12 pm

Yeah, there's certainly still reason to temper expectations for Purdy. Like some of these other guys, he's pretty young, and teams are still adjusting to how they defend him. When teams can press our receivers and get quick pressure, he struggles. But which QB in this league is that not true of? Again, the Chiefs left a collection of broken QBs behind them in the playoffs this past year, and Purdy was by far the best (with his arm, anyway; factor in the legs and Allen was arguably better).

Purdy may not be top-5, but I think it's hard not to have him at least top-12 given the body of work relative to his peers.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,259

Post#1026 » by clyde21 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:36 pm

Purdy at 16 is hilarious, and lol @ Jalen Hurts or Kyler Murray above him

people still haven't moved passed the late round pick stuff when it comes to Purdy...he could literally have the same exact resume and if he was a 1st rounder there is no way he'd be out of anyone's top 10
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1027 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 7, 2024 10:02 pm

clyde21 wrote:Purdy at 16 is hilarious, and lol @ Jalen Hurts or Kyler Murray above him

people still haven't moved passed the late round pick stuff when it comes to Purdy...he could literally have the same exact resume and if he was a 1st rounder there is no way he'd be out of anyone's top 10

Yeah, give Trey Lance that career arc and he's probably top-5.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#1028 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 11:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Purdy at 16 is hilarious, and lol @ Jalen Hurts or Kyler Murray above him

Yeah, give Trey Lance that career arc and he's probably top-5.

At least. The draft-ism is insane. It's like all these people can't admit their pre-draft eval was so wrong that the 'worst' qb in the draft is now a top 10 qb. Having QBs he beat the brakes off of above him (e.g. Dak) is just insulting to everyone's intelligence.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#1029 » by Jikkle » Wed May 8, 2024 10:06 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, there's certainly still reason to temper expectations for Purdy. Like some of these other guys, he's pretty young, and teams are still adjusting to how they defend him. When teams can press our receivers and get quick pressure, he struggles. But which QB in this league is that not true of? Again, the Chiefs left a collection of broken QBs behind them in the playoffs this past year, and Purdy was by far the best (with his arm, anyway; factor in the legs and Allen was arguably better).

Purdy may not be top-5, but I think it's hard not to have him at least top-12 given the body of work relative to his peers.

I see Purdy at the very least elite mentally so I'm not overly concerned about defenses adjusting to him.

The formula to beat this offense has been the same for years and that's press the receivers and get quick pressure especially up the middle to give the QB nothing to work with.

It's why I've been pounding the table for an upgraded offensive line because pressed receivers will eventually work themselves open and I'm fully confident Purdy can identify and get the ball to them but he has to have the time to allow them to get open and if you're constantly getting guys up the middle in your face you're in for a long day.

I don't see any massive leaps in terms of performance for Purdy but I do feel like he does have room to polish his game up though as I don't think he's quite peaked mentally or even physically.

I do think it's a big deal for him to have a normal offseason and be the undisputed starter. I expect his arm to be a bit better this upcoming season being a year removed from surgery which will hopefully lead to a more accurate deep ball and he'll have another season in Kyle's system along with having a full season of seeing what defenses will throw at him and exposing some of the areas he needs to work on.

On a side note he really needs to figure out what's comfortable for him in bad weather. He might not be a physical specimen but his hand size is comparable to other QBs that don't have issues in poor weather and his arm strength isn't elite but still strong enough some wind and rain shouldn't cause him to throw that poorly in bad weather.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1030 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 8, 2024 8:48 pm

More Purdy disrespect?

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#1031 » by Jikkle » Thu May 9, 2024 6:58 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:More Purdy disrespect?

Read on Twitter

Eh I'll go with sorta because I don't think the offense will ever pass enough for Purdy to have the most pass yardage but if he did have the attempts like the other guys he far and away would've had enough pass yardage to be #1.

Hard to argue with anyone on that list though and probably a bigger snub than Purdy was Justin Herbert.

If they want to argue that Purdy and Herbert weren't on the list because they are in run-oriented offenses I can buy that reasoning.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1032 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 9, 2024 8:59 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:More Purdy disrespect?

Read on Twitter

Eh I'll go with sorta because I don't think the offense will ever pass enough for Purdy to have the most pass yardage but if he did have the attempts like the other guys he far and away would've had enough pass yardage to be #1.

Hard to argue with anyone on that list though and probably a bigger snub than Purdy was Justin Herbert.

If they want to argue that Purdy and Herbert weren't on the list because they are in run-oriented offenses I can buy that reasoning.

That's fair. Last year was something of a down year for QBs (Purdy would have been 8th in 2022, 2021, and 2020, but the top number was much higher in those years), and Herbert has eclipsed 5,000 yards before, so that's a clear snub. Though as you say, he's going to be playing in a much less pass-happy system. That said, I think Purdy should still be squarely in that conversation. He's going into his second year as the starter, he's fully healed from a serious injury, and his team not only didn't lose any significant offensive pieces, they gained a couple passing weapons. I think you have to assume, barring injury, that he's going to exceed the numbers he put up last year. And if he does, he should be in the mix for the top performers.

Anyway, I don't really buy into the disrespect angle, just hoping that Purdy sees it and it motivates him.

Return to San Francisco 49ers