Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#961 » by Big J » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:20 pm

thesack12 wrote:Back to Brock Purdy.

In a tie game, Led a potential game winning drive in regulation
In a tie game, led another potential game winning drive in Overtime.

Brock Purdy walked off the field with the lead in regulation.
Brock Purdy walked off the field with the lead in overtime.

The defense gagged the game away, twice.

The defense held Patrick **** Mahomes to 19 points in regulation. Purdy and the offense should have been able to muster more than that before the game even gets to OT.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#962 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:46 pm

thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
49ers offense was....

#1 in TD's scored
#1 in Rush TD's
#2 in Passing TD's
#3 in points per game
#1 in red zone TD rate
#2 in possession scoring %
#1 in yards per play
#2 in total yards
#1 in yards per pass attempt
#1 in pass completion %
#4 in passing yards
#4 in yards per carry
#3 in rushing yards
#4 in 3rd down conversion rate

So yeah man, there is obviously a ton of data that should make 49er fans legitimately concerned with Kyle as a playcaller.

They lost the game on the key play of the game or at least regulation by forcing a rushed pass against a 2DL, 7 DB look.

People are criticizing him for not running twice, on that play and going for it on 4th down, to burn the clock.

But finding out he chose NOT to run against a dime look, lets gloss over that.

Game could have been won right there.

This is why he's 0-3 in SBs.

Game could have been won if the defense managed a stop at the end of regulation
Game would have been won if the defense stops KC on 4th down in Overtime
Game could have been won if the defense didn't allow a TD in overtime
Game could have been won if Greenlaw didn't suffer a devastating injury early in the 2nd quarter
Game could have been won if KC doesn't recover 6/7 fumbles, even 1 less would have made a MASSIVE difference
Game could have been won if CMC doesn't fumble on the opening drive when the offense was marching down the field
Game could have been won if Luter's foot isn't in the 1 square foot part of the field where the punt lands
Game could have been won if Feliciano doesn't get hurt and have to leave the game
Game could have been won if Burford doesn't decide to freelance and thus miss a critical assignment
Game could have been won if Kittle isn't in the locker room during the Overtime drive
Game could have been won if Willis doesn't commit a holding penalty that called back a 1st down on the overtime drive
Game could have been won if Trent Williams doesn't get called for a holding penalty that negated an 18 yard play & 1st down
Game could have been won if Moody's PAT doesn't get blocked
Game could have been won if Banks doesn't have false start 1st play after the Mahomes' INT when 9ers were on edge of FG range
Game could have been won if Gipson doesn't lose the ball in the lights on Mahomes' moonshot popfly deep ball
Game could have been won if the refs don't miss a blatant hold on Bosa on 3rd & 10 in the 4th quarter, which KC converted

So yeah, lets "Gloss over" all of the other numerous factors that contributed to the outcome of the game and focus on one cherry picked play call.

Breaking down the game play by play and critiquing the situational playcalling, is all good and totally fair. That happens with every game, and naturally will get amplified because it was the Super Bowl. I'm sure Kyle and his staff themselves will do that ad nauseum.

But to claim the 49ers lost the game due to an isolated play call, and we should worry about Kyle as a playcaller overall, is flat out absurd.

A lot of those things are beyond the HC's control, like the fumbled punt return leading to the Chiefs' only score.

A lot of luck went the Chiefs way to give Mahomes a chance to win it.

But ONE of the things that Shanahan had control over was offensive play calling.

Either he **** up or Purdy didn't anticipate where the pressure was coming from or had the freedom to but didn't audible to a run.

Again, Chiefs got a lot of luck and the 49ers contributed a lot to the loss themselves with dumb decisions.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#963 » by arich35 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:58 pm

Big J wrote:

The defense held Patrick **** Mahomes to 19 points in regulation. Purdy and the offense should have been able to muster more than that before the game even gets to OT.

Ravens held him to 17, what is your point?
Big J
General Manager

Post#964 » by Big J » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:08 pm

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

My point is that you can't put the blame on the defense. They did their job in regulation. The offense should have scored more than 19 points. By the time OT started the D was gassed and they were missing key players due to injury.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#965 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:01 pm

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

My point is that you can't put the blame on the defense. They did their job in regulation. The offense should have scored more than 19 points. By the time OT started the D was gassed and they were missing key players due to injury.

You do realize that the Chiefs had a top 2 defense in the NFL, right?

While losing Greenlaw was a big factor in the game, the 49ers held the time of possession advantage over KC, The SF offense also started overtime with a 7:28 minute drive, which is more than ample time for the defense to rest.

The offense took the lead with 1:53 left to play, and took the lead again in overtime. The defense squandered 2 game winning drives by the offense. So yes, you can absolutely cast a fair share of the blame on the defense.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#966 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:05 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

They lost the game on the key play of the game or at least regulation by forcing a rushed pass against a 2DL, 7 DB look.

People are criticizing him for not running twice, on that play and going for it on 4th down, to burn the clock.

But finding out he chose NOT to run against a dime look, lets gloss over that.

Game could have been won right there.

This is why he's 0-3 in SBs.

Game could have been won if the defense managed a stop at the end of regulation
Game would have been won if the defense stops KC on 4th down in Overtime
Game could have been won if the defense didn't allow a TD in overtime
Game could have been won if Greenlaw didn't suffer a devastating injury early in the 2nd quarter
Game could have been won if KC doesn't recover 6/7 fumbles, even 1 less would have made a MASSIVE difference
Game could have been won if CMC doesn't fumble on the opening drive when the offense was marching down the field
Game could have been won if Luter's foot isn't in the 1 square foot part of the field where the punt lands
Game could have been won if Feliciano doesn't get hurt and have to leave the game
Game could have been won if Burford doesn't decide to freelance and thus miss a critical assignment
Game could have been won if Kittle isn't in the locker room during the Overtime drive
Game could have been won if Willis doesn't commit a holding penalty that called back a 1st down on the overtime drive
Game could have been won if Trent Williams doesn't get called for a holding penalty that negated an 18 yard play & 1st down
Game could have been won if Moody's PAT doesn't get blocked
Game could have been won if Banks doesn't have false start 1st play after the Mahomes' INT when 9ers were on edge of FG range
Game could have been won if Gipson doesn't lose the ball in the lights on Mahomes' moonshot popfly deep ball
Game could have been won if the refs don't miss a blatant hold on Bosa on 3rd & 10 in the 4th quarter, which KC converted

So yeah, lets "Gloss over" all of the other numerous factors that contributed to the outcome of the game and focus on one cherry picked play call.

Breaking down the game play by play and critiquing the situational playcalling, is all good and totally fair. That happens with every game, and naturally will get amplified because it was the Super Bowl. I'm sure Kyle and his staff themselves will do that ad nauseum.

But to claim the 49ers lost the game due to an isolated play call, and we should worry about Kyle as a playcaller overall, is flat out absurd.

A lot of those things are beyond the HC's control, like the fumbled punt return leading to the Chiefs' only score.

A lot of luck went the Chiefs way to give Mahomes a chance to win it.

But ONE of the things that Shanahan had control over was offensive play calling.

Either he **** up or Purdy didn't anticipate where the pressure was coming from or had the freedom to but didn't audible to a run.

Again, Chiefs got a lot of luck and the 49ers contributed a lot to the loss themselves with dumb decisions.

Agree with this post 100%.

Kyle's decisions and playcalling contributed to the loss, that is not debateable. Kyle's decisions and playcalling also got the team in very good position to win that game. Spags got Kyle some, and Kyle got Spags some.

With just a smidge better luck or one more thing breaking SF's way, and we would all be in a lot better mood right now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#967 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:12 pm

Started watching the JTO review of Purdy's game. It's absurdly long, and fairly repetitive, but some good insights so far. Purdy definitely missed a few reads and throws, but the drop-back passing game continues to struggle. Plenty of times when there was time to throw we just didn't have open players, and plenty of times our protection just broke down. I'd like to see Shanahan give Purdy a bit more autonomy next year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#968 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Re: Purdy in general, he played well in the Super Bowl. It wasn't too big for him, and he did enough for us to win, particularly given some bad breaks that went our way. But I noticed a change in him after the Ravens game. He seemed to lose a little bit of his edge. He appeared less confident of what he was seeing, less decisive in terms of hitting his back foot and throwing it. His footwork suffered at times.

If he plays next year the way he did through the playoffs, I think we've got a really tough decision ahead of us. That guy is a good starting QB who can absolutely keep a talented team in games. But that guy can't beat Mahomes when they have comparable talent on the field around them. If Purdy is going to be the long-term answer, he's got to get back to his early-season form an then improve upon it.
Big J
General Manager

Post#969 » by Big J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:03 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Purdy in general, he played well in the Super Bowl. It wasn't too big for him, and he did enough for us to win, particularly given some bad breaks that went our way. But I noticed a change in him after the Ravens game. He seemed to lose a little bit of his edge. He appeared less confident of what he was seeing, less decisive in terms of hitting his back foot and throwing it. His footwork suffered at times.

If he plays next year the way he did through the playoffs, I think we've got a really tough decision ahead of us. That guy is a good starting QB who can absolutely keep a talented team in games. But that guy can't beat Mahomes when they have comparable talent on the field around them. If Purdy is going to be the long-term answer, he's got to get back to his early-season form an then improve upon it.

Couldn't agree more. League started to figure him out as the year went on.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#970 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:19 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Purdy in general, he played well in the Super Bowl. It wasn't too big for him, and he did enough for us to win, particularly given some bad breaks that went our way. But I noticed a change in him after the Ravens game. He seemed to lose a little bit of his edge. He appeared less confident of what he was seeing, less decisive in terms of hitting his back foot and throwing it. His footwork suffered at times.

Logical for his game to have ebbs and flows in such a young career. It will be hugely beneficial this off-season for him to be able to immerse himself into the playbook more as well as improve his body, mechanics, etc. Especially since he doesn't have to spend it rehabbing like last year. Imperative that the 49ers invest in the O-line as well.

Agree with an above poster who mentioned that Brock should be given some autonomy at the LOS pre-snap to be able to make checks or audibles.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#971 » by Pattersonca65 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:11 am

Big J wrote:

. .clueless
That is not what he said . Where do you come up with this crap?
Big J
General Manager

Post#972 » by Big J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:04 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

. .clueless

You’re right, I’m agreeing with what he said and adding my own point to it. Your reading comprehension isn’t the best.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#973 » by Pattersonca65 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:01 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

. .clueless

You’re right, I’m agreeing with what he said and adding my own point to it. Your reading comprehension isn’t the best.

It isn't remotely what he said and it doesn't jive with your idiotic baseless comment
Big J
General Manager

Post#974 » by Big J » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:35 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:. .clueless

It isn't remotely what he said and it doesn't jive with your idiotic baseless comment

No **** it's not what he said. I just **** said that "I agreed with what he said"... and then added my own point on top of it. Never did I claim that my point was part of what he said. Again.. reading comprehension.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#975 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:32 pm

Big J wrote:

That's one possible explanation. I tend to think it was more internal than external, but we'll likely find out next year. Still head and shoulders above anything Trey Lance would have delivered for us this season. And we've got him on the cheap next year to see how he responds.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#976 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:36 pm

Incidentally, the Niners had a worse defense than the Chiefs this year, and Mahomes couldn't put up more points than Purdy. In fact, he needed a fluky turnover deep in Niner territory to match him. As said above, even the best struggle at times.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#977 » by Pattersonca65 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:55 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

No **** it's not what he said. I just **** said that "I agreed with what he said"... and then added my own point on top of it. Never did I claim that my point was part of what he said. Again.. reading comprehension.

Your reading compression is awful. IIt is as bad as your troll football analysis
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,516

Post#978 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:19 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Have you seen the Spags interview about the SB, specifically Purdy?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager

Post#979 » by Big J » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:49 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

No, I typically avoid coach interviews because none of them say what they are actually thinking to the media.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,516

Post#980 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:32 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

No, I typically avoid coach interviews because none of them say what they are actually thinking to the media.

Didn’t think so. He goes into very great detail, which I suppose could be down to Jedi mind tricks, but I think it’s overegging the pudding to have actually changed from playing disguised zone and keying on run blitzes and covering the intermediate in-breaking routes Brock excels in vs. zone coverage because Brock was off to an 8 of 10 start including a few dangerous intermediate passes into tight windows that were one tackle/stumble away from a TD, and he conceded that tightening up the coverage has become more important than keying on the run by going almost strictly man coverage the rest of the way…to the degree of doing it wa more in the last 3 quarters than any Niner opponent had in a full game all year…even though that means opening up the running game and risking Kittle breaking something big.

Oh, and he lied about assigning spys to Brock and stressing containment because, as you say, coaches huh? and even went the extra mile in selling the lie by…actually assigning spy’s on Brock in the game and playing contain. To make the lie a week after the SB that he was planning hold up a little better under scrutiny.

Question: I know you didn’t watch the interview, did you happen to watch the game?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to San Francisco 49ers