Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#981 » by Big J » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Have you seen the Spags interview about the SB, specifically Purdy?

No, I typically avoid coach interviews because none of them say what they are actually thinking to the media.

Didn’t think so. He goes into very great detail, which I suppose could be down to Jedi mind tricks, but I think it’s overegging the pudding to have actually changed from playing disguised zone and keying on run blitzes and covering the intermediate in-breaking routes Brock excels in vs. zone coverage because Brock was off to an 8 of 10 start including a few dangerous intermediate passes into tight windows that were one tackle/stumble away from a TD, and he conceded that tightening up the coverage has become more important than keying on the run by going almost strictly man coverage the rest of the way…to the degree of doing it wa more in the last 3 quarters than any Niner opponent had in a full game all year…even though that means opening up the running game and risking Kittle breaking something big.

Oh, and he lied about assigning spys to Brock and stressing containment because, as you say, coaches huh? and even went the extra mile in selling the lie by…actually assigning spy’s on Brock in the game and playing contain. To make the lie a week after the SB that he was planning hold up a little better under scrutiny.

Question: I know you didn’t watch the interview, did you happen to watch the game?

Nah bro, I missed the most watched television program of all-time. :roll:
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#982 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:18 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
No, I typically avoid coach interviews because none of them say what they are actually thinking to the media.

Didn’t think so. He goes into very great detail, which I suppose could be down to Jedi mind tricks, but I think it’s overegging the pudding to have actually changed from playing disguised zone and keying on run blitzes and covering the intermediate in-breaking routes Brock excels in vs. zone coverage because Brock was off to an 8 of 10 start including a few dangerous intermediate passes into tight windows that were one tackle/stumble away from a TD, and he conceded that tightening up the coverage has become more important than keying on the run by going almost strictly man coverage the rest of the way…to the degree of doing it wa more in the last 3 quarters than any Niner opponent had in a full game all year…even though that means opening up the running game and risking Kittle breaking something big.

Oh, and he lied about assigning spys to Brock and stressing containment because, as you say, coaches huh? and even went the extra mile in selling the lie by…actually assigning spy’s on Brock in the game and playing contain. To make the lie a week after the SB that he was planning hold up a little better under scrutiny.

Question: I know you didn’t watch the interview, did you happen to watch the game?

Nah bro, I missed the most watched television program of all-time. :roll:

I don’t know, maybe you feel some kinda way about watching a bunch of players who don’t play hard when the moon is in it’s fourth house or w/e, it’s your irrelevant blanket statement/guess(?) not mine. Meantime you are making an absolute declaration that it’s rarely worth even watching coaches communicate because all coaches lie all the time so you never know what’s going on in their heads, so what they say is meaningless.

Hey, would it be revealing trade secrets to tell me how you do it? And with absolutely certainty too! Can you remember the first time you cracked the uncrackable safe? Or were you born intuitively knowing that all coaches are always thinking ‘never tell anyone in media anything that you’re thinking’?

Was it divination on that one, then? Did you track some coaches to their lair? Or are there Greek gods in your ear, and they have you coming and going in some kind of variant on Cassandra, like blessed with the ability to see inside coaches souls but unable to profit because, ironically, being the only one in the know makes everyone else kind of write you off as full of ****? Too meta too soon?

Actually don’t worry about telling me ****, I kinda like you in an inverted sort of way, so I’m gong to do you a solid and ask: Don’t you hear opportunity pounding on your door, man? Think about this for a sec, remembering 2 incredibly important facts:

1) when speaking to the media, coaches are always lying about what they are thinking, so there’s zero point in listening to anything they say because no one knows what they are thinking.

2) except you.

Don’t you see the obvious next move? You personally hold a monopoly on the ability to read coaches. Meanwhile the media has absolutely nothing worth filming/recording/writing on the matter of coaches thinking/strategy. And I’m pretty sure this means you’re never going to go hungry again. You are the gatekeeper to the golden goose.

Few ways you could go, but if I were you (lol, a guy can dream!) and was the only door/chokepoint between seriously competitive and filthy rich major media corporations and wha they need to be able to talk about. You could sell out to one for the huge upfront payday a share in monopoly brings, you could go private, hire yourself out as a coach whisperer/human lie detector like in that show I never watched with the guy from seX, lies, and videotape? Or wait, wrong show I didn’t watch, pretty sure it’s the show I didn’t watch starring Tim Roth. So adopt extravagant gestures and wardrobe (Hey, never said I hadn’t seen the commercials) and rake. The world is your oyster, my friend. Don’t forget who drew you the map, though, yeah?

Edit; apologies, **** exhausted and I get even less laconic when i post in that state, and there are these occasional whimsical flourishes I’m not sure plays to a sports crowd, so it’s all pretty confusing. God, how good would it be to know someone who could look inside you and then impartially and potentially profitably scry your mind’s eye for you and can save you years of therapy and let you have an honest conversation with yourself…wait a **** minute! The stars are aligning! I do know someone with that gift, and I can sign up to coach some rec team… Lévinas was right all along! I can achieve a kind of peace…Big J, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this! I’d even…whoops, sorry, see what I mean? Just so **** tired of the same **** thought running through my mind (and out of my metaphorical mouth) over and over, day after day, week after week, no matter what occurs. Can you imagine going through that, Big J? Again, I really appreciate you, in the classic sense of the word, my good man. Cheers again, sorry again for all the allness.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#983 » by Big J » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:08 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#984 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:01 pm

One thing I was thinking of as I was watching and listening to some reviews of the game: if Shanahan is not going to give Purdy more control at the LOS - for instance, audibling to a run on that devastating failed 3rd and 4 coming out of the two-minute warning - then I think there's a strong argument that you can't pay a guy like Purdy an elite QB salary. That's depriving Purdy of one of the things that could make him special, and given the physical limitations, you can't afford to do that. If he's the guy, Shanahan needs to trust him to be the guy with more pre-snap discretion. And if Shanahan won't do that, then you might need to consider looking for another cheap player who can do enough when surrounded by elite players.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#985 » by Samurai » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:One thing I was thinking of as I was watching and listening to some reviews of the game: if Shanahan is not going to give Purdy more control at the LOS - for instance, audibling to a run on that devastating failed 3rd and 4 coming out of the two-minute warning - then I think there's a strong argument that you can't pay a guy like Purdy an elite QB salary. That's depriving Purdy of one of the things that could make him special, and given the physical limitations, you can't afford to do that. If he's the guy, Shanahan needs to trust him to be the guy with more pre-snap discretion. And if Shanahan won't do that, then you might need to consider looking for another cheap player who can do enough when surrounded by elite players.

I would guess that may be changing this season for several reasons: 1) Shanahan has never been particularly trusting of young guys (at any position) and 2) Purdy didn't get a normal off-season to prepare last year as he was recovering from his surgery. With a full-offseason to prepare and another year under his belt, Shanahan may be starting to trust the 24-year old more. KC clearly had Purdy (and likely Shanahan as well) confused with how well they were able to hide their blitzes, but Purdy should improve in this area as he gains more experience. One of the areas Purdy tested as elite was in his pre-snap recognition, so learning this should be in his wheelhouse.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#986 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:31 am

I mean did he even like it when Ryan audibles or did he prefer the play he called to be run exactly as he drew it up?

It may not be about trusting young QBs so much as thinking of his play calling as sacred.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#987 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:39 pm

wco81 wrote:I mean did he even like it when Ryan audibles or did he prefer the play he called to be run exactly as he drew it up?

It may not be about trusting young QBs so much as thinking of his play calling as sacred.

I do think there's an element of that. Shanahan is extremely arrogant. And again, he's also really, really good at a lot of things, so there's some merit to it. But if we're going to more conventional drop-back stuff and less play action, then he needs to really improve that part of his game. I hope he recognizes that and works on it in the offseason.

Late in the year and throughout the playoffs, it just seemed like any time we went empty set bad things happened. Hard to pinpoint exactly what the issue was there. I feel it was primarily a combination of less dynamic play design out of pure drop-back sets and the OL being unable to hold up without the threat of a run. I put less of it on Purdy, as it seemed like he would generally make the plays that were there to make, he just didn't have as much time and his guys weren't getting open as quickly as we needed them to. Either way, I'm all for incorporating that into our offense more, but we've got to do a better job of it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#988 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
So what. Talk is cheap when the oline is letting defensive lineman run free to the QB

It’s not cheap if they backed it up. They stacked the box and still stifled out passing attack. If anything Brock looked more Jimmyeqe than ever this game. Teams played him exactly the same way that they played him and he was just as stifled as Jimmy.

I’ll no pretend that Brock played well. Even when he had lots of time, he checked it down. He missed two big throws that would have decided the game similar to Jimmy missing Sanders.

I still have tons of doubts, in my eyes he’s still just a more mobile Jimmy. He’s got to prove that he’s not that.

Absolutely fair to have doubts, but a more mobile Jimmy isn't fair IMO. He's already got much better recognition and anticipation, even though those were areas of strength for Jimmy. He can/will make throws that Jimmy would not. Admittedly he doesn't seem willing or able to hit that corner fade down field, but to date, that is the only conspicuously lacking club in his bag. In this game, he protected the ball, he moved us down the field, he repeatedly led comeback drives for points and did enough to win the game. Jimmy, on the other hand, basically needed a single first down down the stretch and couldn't muster it in his Super Bowl.

That said, there's a long distance from Jimmy to true franchise QB, so I do think lingering questions about Brock are fair. I still need to watch some All-22 tape to see what was happening downfield. Was he missing open guys? Or were our guys just not coming open within the flow of the play? I can't say right now. But calling him a more athletic Garoppolo dramatically understates what this guy has shown to date.

Also worth mentioning that the league MVP went 20 of 37 for 272 yards, one TD (admittedly should have had a second but for the receiver fumbling), one bad INT, a 75.5 rating, a 41.6 QBR, and a PFF grade below 67.1 (can only find a top-5 list of Ravens' offensive players to date) against this D. Purdy had a rating of 89.3, a QBR of 69.8, and an 88.4 PFF grade.

This D completely embarrassed Tua in the playoffs (weather helped). Josh Allen had a good game, but it was mostly with his legs as he was 26 for 39 passing for 186 yards (4.8 YPA) and a TD. Granted that's a big part of why Allen is a top-5 QB, but it's not like this was a shaky pass defense. This was very arguably the best passing D in the league playing at their peak level. And Purdy did enough for this team to win.

I wanted to return to this discussion of the Chiefs' D in the playoffs for a moment.

I will concede that Purdy has the best supporting cast among the Chiefs' playoff opponents. But I don't think it's all that far off. Tua has arguably the best WR in the game - certainly the most dangerous - a very good #2, and an incredible run game in terms of scheme and personnel. Allen has an excellent #1 receiver and two very solid TEs, a very good young RB, though admittedly inconsistent receiving options at WR behind Diggs (Davis will look like the next big thing one week and completely disappear the next). And Jackson has an excellent OL, an elite TE (granted who wasn't 100%), a very good backup TE, and a pretty solid and deep cast of WRs and RBs.

Jackson and Tua were flat-out embarrassed by the Chiefs. Tua had a 15.3 QBR (his next-lowest was 30) and produced seven points. It was almost certainly his worst game of the season. Lamar Jackson's performance was also one of his worst. His 41.6 QBR ranks fourth-worst for the season, and his lowest (11.3) came in a 25-9 win against Houston in week one in which he just didn't have to do anything to win. In fact, Jackson won all three of those other games, two by double-digits.

Allen had the best game against the Chiefs, but as said above, his passing wasn't great. He did most of his damage with his legs. And most crucially, he couldn't get it done down the stretch. Once the Chiefs went ahead, he went three-and-out gaining five yards (turnover on downs on a fake punt, salvaged only by Hardman fumbling through the endzone on the next Chiefs drive) and three-and-out gaining -2 yards. At that point, he did put together a bit of a desperation drive that should have tied the game with a 44-yard FG, but he still would have given Patrick Mahomes the ball back with 1:43 and two timeouts left (in the super bowl, Purdy gave Mahomes the ball back with 1:50 and two timeouts).

By contrast, when the Niners fell behind, Purdy engineered a 75-yard TD drive. Purdy accounted for 60 of those yards, including converting a clutch 4th down. After KC tied it, Purdy marched the team 40 yards for a FG. Purdy accounted for 23 yards. The drive ended when we ran on first down, had a completion for no yards to Kittle on second, and then the infamous 3rd and 4 or 5 deflection by a blitzing McDuffie. And he led a FG drive in OT that likely would have been a TD if his OL had given him any time whatsoever.

This is not to say that Purdy is better than Allen or Jackson by any means. And there were stretches in this game where he struggled with accuracy and decision-making (though no awful decisions in this one). But in the Super Bowl, playing an elite defense, he put his team in the lead the last three times he touched the ball. It's hard to ask all that much more of a guy.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#989 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:

It’s not cheap if they backed it up. They stacked the box and still stifled out passing attack. If anything Brock looked more Jimmyeqe than ever this game. Teams played him exactly the same way that they played him and he was just as stifled as Jimmy.

I’ll no pretend that Brock played well. Even when he had lots of time, he checked it down. He missed two big throws that would have decided the game similar to Jimmy missing Sanders.

I still have tons of doubts, in my eyes he’s still just a more mobile Jimmy. He’s got to prove that he’s not that.

Absolutely fair to have doubts, but a more mobile Jimmy isn't fair IMO. He's already got much better recognition and anticipation, even though those were areas of strength for Jimmy. He can/will make throws that Jimmy would not. Admittedly he doesn't seem willing or able to hit that corner fade down field, but to date, that is the only conspicuously lacking club in his bag. In this game, he protected the ball, he moved us down the field, he repeatedly led comeback drives for points and did enough to win the game. Jimmy, on the other hand, basically needed a single first down down the stretch and couldn't muster it in his Super Bowl.

That said, there's a long distance from Jimmy to true franchise QB, so I do think lingering questions about Brock are fair. I still need to watch some All-22 tape to see what was happening downfield. Was he missing open guys? Or were our guys just not coming open within the flow of the play? I can't say right now. But calling him a more athletic Garoppolo dramatically understates what this guy has shown to date.

Also worth mentioning that the league MVP went 20 of 37 for 272 yards, one TD (admittedly should have had a second but for the receiver fumbling), one bad INT, a 75.5 rating, a 41.6 QBR, and a PFF grade below 67.1 (can only find a top-5 list of Ravens' offensive players to date) against this D. Purdy had a rating of 89.3, a QBR of 69.8, and an 88.4 PFF grade.

This D completely embarrassed Tua in the playoffs (weather helped). Josh Allen had a good game, but it was mostly with his legs as he was 26 for 39 passing for 186 yards (4.8 YPA) and a TD. Granted that's a big part of why Allen is a top-5 QB, but it's not like this was a shaky pass defense. This was very arguably the best passing D in the league playing at their peak level. And Purdy did enough for this team to win.

I wanted to return to this discussion of the Chiefs' D in the playoffs for a moment.

I will concede that Purdy has the best supporting cast among the Chiefs' playoff opponents. But I don't think it's all that far off. Tua has arguably the best WR in the game - certainly the most dangerous - a very good #2, and an incredible run game in terms of scheme and personnel. Allen has an excellent #1 receiver and two very solid TEs, a very good young RB, though admittedly inconsistent receiving options at WR behind Diggs (Davis will look like the next big thing one week and completely disappear the next). And Jackson has an excellent OL, an elite TE (granted who wasn't 100%), a very good backup TE, and a pretty solid and deep cast of WRs and RBs.

Jackson and Tua were flat-out embarrassed by the Chiefs. Tua had a 15.3 QBR (his next-lowest was 30) and produced seven points. It was almost certainly his worst game of the season. Lamar Jackson's performance was also one of his worst. His 41.6 QBR ranks fourth-worst for the season, and his lowest (11.3) came in a 25-9 win against Houston in week one in which he just didn't have to do anything to win. In fact, Jackson won all three of those other games, two by double-digits.

Allen had the best game against the Chiefs, but as said above, his passing wasn't great. He did most of his damage with his legs. And most crucially, he couldn't get it done down the stretch. Once the Chiefs went ahead, he went three-and-out gaining five yards (turnover on downs on a fake punt, salvaged only by Hardman fumbling through the endzone on the next Chiefs drive) and three-and-out gaining -2 yards. At that point, he did put together a bit of a desperation drive that should have tied the game with a 44-yard FG, but he still would have given Patrick Mahomes the ball back with 1:43 and two timeouts left (in the super bowl, Purdy gave Mahomes the ball back with 1:50 and two timeouts).

By contrast, when the Niners fell behind, Purdy engineered a 75-yard TD drive. Purdy accounted for 60 of those yards, including converting a clutch 4th down. After KC tied it, Purdy marched the team 40 yards for a FG. Purdy accounted for 23 yards. The drive ended when we ran on first down, had a completion for no yards to Kittle on second, and then the infamous 3rd and 4 or 5 deflection by a blitzing McDuffie. And he led a FG drive in OT that likely would have been a TD if his OL had given him any time whatsoever.

This is not to say that Purdy is better than Allen or Jackson by any means. And there were stretches in this game where he struggled with accuracy and decision-making (though no awful decisions in this one). But in the Super Bowl, playing an elite defense, he put his team in the lead the last three times he touched the ball. It's hard to ask all that much more of a guy.

All of these QBs that were supposed to have something extra that Purdy does not choked in the playoffs. Purdy will still have the same detractors moving the goal posts so they can continue the narrative.

Return to San Francisco 49ers