ImageImageImageImageImage

The Brock Purdy Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#1 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:12 pm

Figured this was more appropriate for QB discussions at this point, and we could let the Trey Lance thread die.

Good breakdown of JT, highlighting Purdy's generally very strong play. In particular, JT highlights the poise, comfort, vision and anticipation. Those are the things Purdy possesses that are just incredibly rare for a QB at his level. Now, pros and cons to that. If he already has a lot of that vision, anticipation, comfort, etc., it may be fair to question how much room he has to improve. Those are things that even the greats have typically struggled with in a way that Purdy just hasn't.

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#2 » by zman1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:54 pm

But does he have to improve? From the way he plays and the record he has produced, I would say no, I think he can carry us to a super bowl win right now. A good part of the reason for that is also the talent around him, but he sure is playing really well.

But he WILL improve. Just more experience will do that over time. He will never be Patrick Mahomes, but maybe since he doesn't turn it over 4 times in a game he's better than Josh Allen. Not more talented but more capable of winning games?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#3 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:55 pm

zman1 wrote:But does he have to improve? From the way he plays and the record he has produced, I would say no, I think he can carry us to a super bowl win right now. A good part of the reason for that is also the talent around him, but he sure is playing really well.

But he WILL improve. Just more experience will do that over time. He will never be Patrick Mahomes, but maybe since he doesn't turn it over 4 times in a game he's better than Josh Allen. Not more talented but more capable of winning games?

Does he have to improve to win now? No. Does he have to improve to win if he's making $30+ million? Probably. I have every reason to expect that he will, but it wouldn't be all that incredible for a guy to backslide.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#4 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:10 am

zman1 wrote:But does he have to improve? From the way he plays and the record he has produced, I would say no, I think he can carry us to a super bowl win right now. A good part of the reason for that is also the talent around him, but he sure is playing really well.

Problem is that he most likely won't improve much, and will end up looking worse as the cast around him deteriorates. He has all of the tools to run this system during the regular season, but the greats have an extra gear or physical ability that Purdy lacks. That's extremely important in playoff games when teams take away the easy stuff.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:45 pm

Big J wrote:

Problem is that he most likely won't improve much, and will end up looking worse as the cast around him deteriorates. He has all of the tools to run this system during the regular season, but the greats have an extra gear or physical ability that Purdy lacks. That's extremely important in playoff games when teams take away the easy stuff.

None of us can really say at this point. He can't get a contract extension for two seasons, so we've got some time to see how he develops before we have to make a decision.
Big J
General Manager

Post#6 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

None of us can really say at this point. He can't get a contract extension for two seasons, so we've got some time to see how he develops before we have to make a decision.

It’s not hard to say it because there is maybe 1 qb in league history who has had similar physical limitations and won a SB, and that was Drew Brees, and nobody in their right mind is comparing Purdy to Drew Brees.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#7 » by arich35 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dink and dunk QB
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by zman1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:28 pm

arich35 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dink and dunk QB
Dink and dunk may be where it's at now: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38378450/nfl-death-long-passing-deep-ball-aerial-yards-negative-trend

zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by zman1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:31 pm

Big J wrote:

Well, Jimmy G got us right on the verge, and I think Purdy is better. As Josh Allen proved Monday night, physical skills don't always win games.

zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by zman1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:48 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

It’s not hard to say it because there is maybe 1 qb in league history who has had similar physical limitations and won a SB, and that was Drew Brees, and nobody in their right mind is comparing Purdy to Drew Brees.
What about Joe Montana? How does he rate on arm strength or running? About average I would say. Purdy's strengths are more like Joe's and maybe good enough?

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#11 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

Because Brees kind of sucked to start his career while Purdy has been kind of amazing?

Brady is the winningest QB of all time despite lackluster physical skills. The same could be said for Montana, though he was much more mobile than Brady. Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer have won SBs. Troy Aikman wasn't particularly physically gifted. I kind of lose my frame of reference if we go much earlier than that.

Additionally, how many QBs who fit Brock Purdy's physical profile (specifically, under 6'1" with a relatively weak arm) have really been given a shot? He was the last pick in the draft. Regardless of what happens from this point, that was clearly a huge miss by 32 teams - over and over and over. And he never would have gotten a chance unless the two guys in front of him just happened to get hurt. It's a fluke that we're seeing what he can do. How many guys languished as career backups, or never even got a shot in the league at all, who might have been able to do something if they'd gotten the same sort of chance the guys with physical gifts were given?

Obviously Purdy would buck some pretty strong trends if he becomes a top QB. But it's silly to just decide right now that he can't do it. The dude has been amazing to date, like historically good. He's markedly better already than more talented players in similar situations (see: Pickett, Kenny). So let's just see what he can do.
Big J
General Manager

Post#12 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:09 pm

zman1 wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dink and dunk QB
Dink and dunk may be where it's at now: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38378450/nfl-death-long-passing-deep-ball-aerial-yards-negative-trend

Yea, except in order to be able to get the wide open short throws you have to have the threat of being able to throw the long ball. Otherwise good defenses will start taking away the easy stuff.
Big J
General Manager

Post#13 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:11 pm

zman1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

What about Joe Montana? How does he rate on arm strength or running? About average I would say. Purdy's strengths are more like Joe's and maybe good enough?

So now he’s Joe Montana? GTFOH
Big J
General Manager

Post#14 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Because Brees kind of sucked to start his career while Purdy has been kind of amazing?

Brady is the winningest QB of all time despite lackluster physical skills. The same could be said for Montana, though he was much more mobile than Brady. Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer have won SBs. Troy Aikman wasn't particularly physically gifted. I kind of lose my frame of reference if we go much earlier than that.

Additionally, how many QBs who fit Brock Purdy's physical profile (specifically, under 6'1" with a relatively weak arm) have really been given a shot? He was the last pick in the draft. Regardless of what happens from this point, that was clearly a huge miss by 32 teams - over and over and over. And he never would have gotten a chance unless the two guys in front of him just happened to get hurt. It's a fluke that we're seeing what he can do. How many guys languished as career backups, or never even got a shot in the league at all, who might have been able to do something if they'd gotten the same sort of chance the guys with physical gifts were given?

Obviously Purdy would buck some pretty strong trends if he becomes a top QB. But it's silly to just decide right now that he can't do it. The dude has been amazing to date, like historically good. He's markedly better already than more talented players in similar situations (see: Pickett, Kenny). So let's just see what he can do.

He’s been good because he has insanely good weapons, and he does a good job being a system qb. Gardner Minshew put up huge numbers when he was a starter too. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be able to beat elite defenses & QBs deep in the playoffs.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#15 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:27 pm

Montana was All-State in football, baseball and basketball and received scholarship offers for 4 different sports. He could reverse dunk 2 handed. Watch film of him in college, he was a great athlete, but never looked like one. For his era he was considered very mobile, but used it more like Mahomes, to buy time for passing plays rather than runs, but he’d burn teams on runs a lot too. I think in the SB against Marino it was his running ability that caused the Dolphins such headaches.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:35 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Montana was All-State in football, baseball and basketball and received scholarship offers for 4 different sports. He could reverse dunk 2 handed. Watch film of him in college, he was a great athlete, but never looked like one. For his era he was considered very mobile, but used it more like Mahomes, to buy time for passing plays rather than runs, but he’d burn teams on runs a lot too. I think in the SB against Marino it was his running ability that caused the Dolphins such headaches.

Yes, you've said. :D Definitely not meaning to knock Joe. And he used that athleticism to escape the pocket, keep plays alive, etc. (e.g., the Catch). But I think Purdy has similar qualities in that area. Joe was short, didn't have a great arm. Some pretty strong parallels to Purdy, frankly, and in many ways it's easier to play QB today than it was in Joe's era.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:36 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

He’s been good because he has insanely good weapons, and he does a good job being a system qb. Gardner Minshew put up huge numbers when he was a starter too. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be able to beat elite defenses & QBs deep in the playoffs.

He literally beat an elite defense in the playoffs last year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#18 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:23 pm

And Gardner Minshew is 8-16 as a starter, including 1-3 with the Eagles over the past two years.
Big J
General Manager

Post#19 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

He literally beat an elite defense in the playoffs last year.

Yes, but the Cowboys have Dak Prescot at QB who is incompetent himself.
Big J
General Manager

Post#20 » by Big J » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:42 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:And Gardner Minshew is 8-16 as a starter, including 1-3 with the Eagles over the past two years.

That's because he doesn't have Shanahan setting the table for him.

Return to San Francisco 49ers