CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#921 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:46 pm

Dodub wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Chiefs DB’s would disagree. They said that the gameplan was to make Purdy throw the ball and shut down CMC. That’s literally the same gameplan they had in 2019.

So what. Talk is cheap when the oline is letting defensive lineman run free to the QB

It’s not cheap if they backed it up. They stacked the box and still stifled out passing attack. If anything Brock looked more Jimmyeqe than ever this game. Teams played him exactly the same way that they played him and he was just as stifled as Jimmy.

I’ll no pretend that Brock played well. Even when he had lots of time, he checked it down. He missed two big throws that would have decided the game similar to Jimmy missing Sanders.

I still have tons of doubts, in my eyes he’s still just a more mobile Jimmy. He’s got to prove that he’s not that.

Absolutely fair to have doubts, but a more mobile Jimmy isn't fair IMO. He's already got much better recognition and anticipation, even though those were areas of strength for Jimmy. He can/will make throws that Jimmy would not. Admittedly he doesn't seem willing or able to hit that corner fade down field, but to date, that is the only conspicuously lacking club in his bag. In this game, he protected the ball, he moved us down the field, he repeatedly led comeback drives for points and did enough to win the game. Jimmy, on the other hand, basically needed a single first down down the stretch and couldn't muster it in his Super Bowl.

That said, there's a long distance from Jimmy to true franchise QB, so I do think lingering questions about Brock are fair. I still need to watch some All-22 tape to see what was happening downfield. Was he missing open guys? Or were our guys just not coming open within the flow of the play? I can't say right now. But calling him a more athletic Garoppolo dramatically understates what this guy has shown to date.

Also worth mentioning that the league MVP went 20 of 37 for 272 yards, one TD (admittedly should have had a second but for the receiver fumbling), one bad INT, a 75.5 rating, a 41.6 QBR, and a PFF grade below 67.1 (can only find a top-5 list of Ravens' offensive players to date) against this D. Purdy had a rating of 89.3, a QBR of 69.8, and an 88.4 PFF grade.

This D completely embarrassed Tua in the playoffs (weather helped). Josh Allen had a good game, but it was mostly with his legs as he was 26 for 39 passing for 186 yards (4.8 YPA) and a TD. Granted that's a big part of why Allen is a top-5 QB, but it's not like this was a shaky pass defense. This was very arguably the best passing D in the league playing at their peak level. And Purdy did enough for this team to win.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#922 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:57 pm

We can argue the analytics of receiving, going for it on fourth, etc. as those are coaching decisions. But the last two times Purdy and the offense left the field, it was with a lead. Jimmy G basically wilted in that 4th quarter four years ago and couldn't help lead one good drive to ice the game.

Going forward there are certainly still questions. Purdy still follows the letter of the law in Kyle's offense, mostly. Many of the All-22 crowd (JTO, Chase Daniels, etc.) point to Kyle's dropback passing scheme being relatively pedestrian and rigid. Having a balanced attack is awesome, but there is some work to be done in obvious passing situations. Hurry-up offense, 2-min offense, etc. You can't always expect the running game and play-action game to be amazing.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#923 » by Big J » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:07 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:We can argue the analytics of receiving, going for it on fourth, etc. as those are coaching decisions. But the last two times Purdy and the offense left the field, it was with a lead. Jimmy G basically wilted in that 4th quarter four years ago and couldn't help lead one good drive to ice the game.

Going forward there are certainly still questions. Purdy still follows the letter of the law in Kyle's offense, mostly. Many of the All-22 crowd (JTO, Chase Daniels, etc.) point to Kyle's dropback passing scheme being relatively pedestrian and rigid. Having a balanced attack is awesome, but there is some work to be done in obvious passing situations. Hurry-up offense, 2-min offense, etc. You can't always expect the running game and play-action game to be amazing.

The only reason Purdy was able to muster a fg on that OT drive was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If the chiefs defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy would have been the goat.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#924 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 pm

Big J wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:We can argue the analytics of receiving, going for it on fourth, etc. as those are coaching decisions. But the last two times Purdy and the offense left the field, it was with a lead. Jimmy G basically wilted in that 4th quarter four years ago and couldn't help lead one good drive to ice the game.

The only reason Purdy was able to muster a fg on that OT drive was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If the chiefs defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy would have been the goat.

The one where he hit the receiver in the hands? That Romo called a great throw, just not worth the risk? Are you forgetting the many occasions where Mahomes threw it up and was called ‘fortunate’ he wasn’t picked (more than he was). I guarantee you if Purdy had been picked and Mahomes not, you would be saying that was the difference in the game. That’s certainly what people said about Jimmy in the last one. Brock didn’t muff the punt, he didn’t miss the extra point, he didn’t fumble, he wasn’t called for back to back holding on our opening drive, etc. Almost every thing he did in the game helped us and almost nothing he did hurt us. You aren’t objective about this, imo. It really doesn’t sound like you watch more than the highlights much of the time.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#925 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:25 pm

Big J wrote:

That was arguably a drop by Deebo. Not an easy ball, but it went off his hands. Purdy wouldn't have been the goat if that deflection led to a pick.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#926 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:27 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

The one where he hit the receiver in the hands? That Romo called a great throw, just not worth the risk? Are you forgetting the many occasions where Mahomes threw it up and was called ‘fortunate’ he wasn’t picked (more than he was). I guarantee you if Purdy had been picked and Mahomes not, you would be saying that was the difference in the game. That’s certainly what people said about Jimmy in the last one. Brock didn’t muff the punt, he didn’t miss the extra point, he didn’t fumble, he wasn’t called for back to back holding on our opening drive, etc. Almost every thing he did in the game helped us and almost nothing he did hurt us. You aren’t objective about this, imo. It really doesn’t sound like you watch more than the highlights much of the time.

Mahomes' only long ball of the game SHOULD have been picked. We had bracket coverage on MVS, but Gipson couldn't locate the ball. In addition to his awful read and throw that was actually picked. Every guy is going to make mistakes, even the greats. Granted Mahomes didn't make any of those mistakes down the stretch, though we weren't exactly blanketing his receivers in the short middle of the field.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#927 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:20 am

I don't remember the exact #'s, but on the radio today I heard a crazy stat.

In the Playoffs against KC while being under pressure Tua/Allen/Lamar had a combined 7 QBR. Whereas as in the Super Bowl, Purdy's QBR was 75.

Overall QBR against KC:

Tua (On the road): 15.3
Allen (At Home): 65.2
Lamar (At Home): 41.6
Purdy (Neutral site): 69.8
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#928 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:14 am

If you didn’t come away from that game impressed with Purdy…and I don’t mean t was remotely one of his best games, but his play over and over when it was on the line, and the guy making the most decisions on the field was almost never the guy who made the wrong decision when we failed, going toe to toe with Mahomes in clutch time and not just leading your team to several should-have-been-tds…I was just watching a clip, not verified, but i think they broke the last throw to the corner and I think the defender was literally on him less than a second after being visible, like there was literally no way Brock or Mahomes or Montana makes that play with that protection…and doesn’t blink, when he’s being **** on nationally for literally being amazing and all about the team, and he showed up, man. He’s a winner. Hell, unless the old rules he won.

Btw, seeing a lot of chatter that Kyle did not know the new OTSB rules, and he apprentices made it evident by the way he answered a question, like when asked about the ot decision he said he just wished the Niners had scored a TD so KC doesn’t even get a chance…which I admit if true looks not great. But there seems to be a groundswell of support for the idea of firing him and I think that’s crazy as ****. Almost every team in the league would trade with us in a millisecond.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#929 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 am

I'm not criticizing him for it but on that 3rd down play where Chris Jones came at him unblocked, I don't know if he had room to juke and get outside of him.

Certainly the best play-making QBs have done that, evade a free rusher and make a big play against cover 0, which the 49ers struggled against in this game.

We've even seen Purdy make pass rushers miss and make plays off schedule.

Definitely the fault lies with the OL, though I don't know if Purdy is adjusting protections at the LOS.

Maybe he saw that Jennings was open and trying to get it to him as soon as he could. Even if he avoided Jones, if he escaped to the outside, the blitzers might get to him, not to mention Jennings might no longer be open.

But that is the one thing that the QBs who've won big games have been able to do, still make plays when other players break down and erase their mistakes.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#930 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:I don't remember the exact #'s, but on the radio today I heard a crazy stat.

In the Playoffs against KC while being under pressure Tua/Allen/Lamar had a combined 7 QBR. Whereas as in the Super Bowl, Purdy's QBR was 75.

Overall QBR against KC:

Tua (On the road): 15.3
Allen (At Home): 65.2
Lamar (At Home): 41.6
Purdy (Neutral site): 69.8

Those guys are physically talented though and they don't have the same weapons to carry them (sarcasm font)
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#931 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:52 pm

wco81 wrote:I'm not criticizing him for it but on that 3rd down play where Chris Jones came at him unblocked, I don't know if he had room to juke and get outside of him.

Certainly the best play-making QBs have done that, evade a free rusher and make a big play against cover 0, which the 49ers struggled against in this game.

Definitely the fault lies with the OL, though I don't know if Purdy is adjusting protections at the LOS.

Maybe he saw that Jennings was open and trying to get it to him as soon as he could. Even if he avoided Jones, if he escaped to the outside, the blitzers might get to him, not to mention Jennings might no longer be open.

But that is the one thing that the QBs who've won big games have been able to do, still make plays when other players break down and erase their mistakes.

Chris Jones flew through there untouched. Even if Purdy somehow could have side stepped that and gathered his footing to throw that pass, it was too late to hit Jennings. There was nothing there.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#932 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:17 pm

Purdy said himself he wants to work on his arm strength, mobility and "mastery" of the offense. Do we know if Shanahan allows his QB's to check out of certain protections or plays? My guess is he has a "back-up" call in certain formations where he can check to a run or pass.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#933 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:35 pm

One thing I would love to see added to brocks repertoire is just taking the ball and running, like Mahomes did to beat us. Purdy has certainly shown he has the legs to do that.

Sent from my SM-X610 using Tapatalk
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#934 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 pm

zman1 wrote:One thing I would love to see added to brocks repertoire is just taking the ball and running, like Mahomes did to beat us. Purdy has certainly shown he has the legs to do that.

I think he did take of running a couple of times but did not get the big gains Mahomes did. Our defense just broke down on those plays
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#935 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:49 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

The only reason Purdy Montana was able to muster a touchdown on that final drive in the 1988 super bowl was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If theChiefs Bengals defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy Montana would have been the goat. Isn't it great how that works.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#936 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:06 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

The only reason Purdy Montana was able to muster a touchdown on that final drive in the 1988 super bowl was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If theChiefs Bengals defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy Montana would have been the goat. Isn't it great how that works.
Keeping things in perspective is a good thing to do. I will add one more historical item. In our epic victory over the boys to get to our first SB, Montana had 3 interceptions.

Those who think our coach sucks need to talk to a chargers fan.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#937 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:55 pm

wco81 wrote:I'm not criticizing him for it but on that 3rd down play where Chris Jones came at him unblocked, I don't know if he had room to juke and get outside of him.

On that particular play, we showed a look I can't recall seeing before - which could explain why our blocking scheme was shaky. McCaffrey had split out, but he motioned just before the snap and was coming across the formation with a modified play action at the snap. The play called for Purdy to fake it to him and then drop back from there. Jones was two steps away with a head of steam as soon as Purdy came out of the fake handoff, and he was supposed to drop back from that spot so there wasn't an open read.

My first instinct was that virtually no one could have escaped that situation. Reviewing it right now, I'm not sure that's entirely right. Jones was right up the gut, and Karlaftis was to the right coming off Kittle's block as Kittle released into the pattern (McKivitz made this block, but Purdy couldn't have bailed to his right). Purdy COULD feasibly have spun away from Jones toward the left and gotten free long enough to find Aiyuk wide open in the back of the endzone. But that would have been an exceptional play that even Allen or Lamar only makes one in ten plays. Instead, Purdy put it up toward a player who was breaking open.

I don't have any problem with that decision whatsoever. IMO, there's a much higher likelihood of Jennings shaking the coverage a second earlier and adjusting to the ball than there is of Purdy (or any QB) getting loose from Jones.

This play was pretty **** from the beginning. I think they implemented it for this game, and it has some potential, but the guys aren't up on it. Pulling the center just wasn't a good call. McCaffrey actually comes open and could have picked up the first down if not a TD, but he kind of chipped the DE who Brendel couldn't entirely get to (he was still open).

I mean, look, we had Aiyuk, McCaffrey, and Jennings all open in the deep red zone. So it's not like we should just throw that play away. But Burford probably didn't practice that play much and sure seems to have botched the protection. Give Brock a half-second more and I have no doubt we score a TD on that play.
Big J
General Manager

Post#938 » by Big J » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:02 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

...except Montana ended up winning that game. Bad example.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#939 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:15 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

Great example. You are wrong as always. Both produced leads. Defense had it last. Except that Brock's pass wasn't a bad pass. He threw it only where Debo could catch it but Debo knowck the ball up. Montana literally threw it into the hands of the defensive backs. But you can keep coming up with pure BS. It is expected
Big J
General Manager

Post#940 » by Big J » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:12 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Great example. You are wrong as always. Both produced leads. Defense had it last. Except that Brock's pass wasn't a bad pass. He threw it only where Debo could catch it but Debo knowck the ball up. Montana literally threw it into the hands of the defensive backs. But you can keep coming up with pure BS. It is expected

Ahh right, he's better than Montana. This is why there is so much vitriol towards Purdy homers.

Return to San Francisco 49ers