Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#901 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also of note, the Chiefs had NINE unblocked pressures off blitzes.

Read on Twitter

Unfortunately, on the two crucial 3rd and 4 plays which ended our two final drives, they sent the house and our protection package allowed free rushers up the middle. On the first, Trent took the DE and McDuffie came right up the B gap in Purdy's face. On the second, McKivitz went outside even though Kittle was out there and Jones came untouched through the B gap on the other side. I can't be certain the OTs were to blame, but they both went outside when the typical responsibility matrix is inside-out.

Very few QBs in this league can make a play when a defender comes literally unblocked up the middle. Especially when the back end has two of the best man-coverage corners in the league.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#902 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:39 am

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kid is only going to get better. His footwork in the pocket and the way he handles pressure is impressive, if we can build a better line around him that would help out a lot

The empty sets were making me crazy yesterday. They're a clear indication that Shanahan trusts Purdy. The problem is, he can't trust our OL, especially on the interior. Without the threat of a run to slow down the pass rushers, our OL just can't control the LOS in pass-blocking sets.

Seemed like every 3rd and manageable we would move McCaffrey out of the backfield and they would tee off. Granted we only had like four 3rd and manageable downs all game, because it was more often 3rd and 12.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#903 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:02 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Yea, I just fear that if the team pays him big money we’re going to see the fallout when we can’t sign all of the other guys. I can easily name 10 guys better than him. It’s not like we haven’t made the Superbowl with other mid QBs.

All your Qbs choked in the playoffs

Mahomes didn’t.

Why, though? Because Bosa (yet again) didn't maintain his edge discipline on a 4th down play? What if we won the SB there? Does that mean Mahomes choked? Or just that he lost a tough game against a good defense?

Saying that Purdy isn't a really good QB because he didn't beat Mahomes is silly. There are still legitimate questions as to whether he is a great QB. As things stand, two years into his career, he has answered virtually every question that has been put in front of him. If Trey Lance had played the way Purdy did this year in his second year, everyone would be saying we have a QB of the future and that would be the end of it.

There are very legitimate questions about whether you can afford to pay a guy who isn't in the top-5 top dollar at the QB position. It's the Kirk Cousins issue. You're good enough to be in the mix, but not really close to being a contender every year. Will that be Purdy? It's possible. But the kid - in his second year - has shown that he has unique vision, anticipation, pocket presence, accuracy, toughness, etc., etc., etc. If he has a slightly stronger arm or had been drafted four rounds sooner, there would be no serious questions about him. And he's going to be the starter next year on an absurdly cheap contract, so we don't have to make a decision right now.

As always, just saying he can't be the guy based on what we've seen to date is ridiculous. What we've seen to date is amazing for a QB in his second season, and we should only expect him to get better.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#904 » by Big J » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:16 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
All your Qbs choked in the playoffs

Mahomes didn’t.

Why, though? Because Bosa (yet again) didn't maintain his edge discipline on a 4th down play? What if we won the SB there? Does that mean Mahomes choked? Or just that he lost a tough game against a good defense?

Saying that Purdy isn't a really good QB because he didn't beat Mahomes is silly. There are still legitimate questions as to whether he is a great QB. As things stand, two years into his career, he has answered virtually every question that has been put in front of him. If Trey Lance had played the way Purdy did this year in his second year, everyone would be saying we have a QB of the future and that would be the end of it.

There are very legitimate questions about whether you can afford to pay a guy who isn't in the top-5 top dollar at the QB position. It's the Kirk Cousins issue. You're good enough to be in the mix, but not really close to being a contender every year. Will that be Purdy? It's possible. But the kid - in his second year - has shown that he has unique vision, anticipation, pocket presence, accuracy, toughness, etc., etc., etc. If he has a slightly stronger arm or had been drafted four rounds sooner, there would be no serious questions about him. And he's going to be the starter next year on an absurdly cheap contract, so we don't have to make a decision right now.

As always, just saying he can't be the guy based on what we've seen to date is ridiculous. What we've seen to date is amazing for a QB in his second season, and we should only expect him to get better.

I'm not saying he can't be great because he didn't beat Mahomes. My whole thing has been that he's an accurate, but limited QB that's been carried by his elite weapons and the best offensive HC in the league. My, and many others like me have the biggest issue with people overrating the hell out of him because he's won games on other guys backs.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#905 » by arich35 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:32 am

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Mahomes didn’t.

I'm not saying he can't be great because he didn't beat Mahomes. My whole thing has been that he's an accurate, but limited QB that's been carried by his elite weapons and the best offensive HC in the league. My, and many others like me have the biggest issue with people overrating the hell out of him because he's won games on other guys backs.

I don't think you watch the games.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#906 » by Dodub » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:35 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Unfortunately, on the two crucial 3rd and 4 plays which ended our two final drives, they sent the house and our protection package allowed free rushers up the middle. On the first, Trent took the DE and McDuffie came right up the B gap in Purdy's face. On the second, McKivitz went outside even though Kittle was out there and Jones came untouched through the B gap on the other side. I can't be certain the OTs were to blame, but they both went outside when the typical responsibility matrix is inside-out.

Very few QBs in this league can make a play when a defender comes literally unblocked up the middle. Especially when the back end has two of the best man-coverage corners in the league.

Chiefs DB’s would disagree. They said that the gameplan was to make Purdy throw the ball and shut down CMC. That’s literally the same gameplan they had in 2019.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#907 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:10 am

Dodub, did you mean to quote my post?

No doubt they took the same approach to attack our offense. The crucial difference in my mind is that this year's KC defense was much better, especially against the pass.

I need to see the All-22 before I can evaluate Purdy's performance. Early on in the game, he had lots of time in the pocket, but seemed indecisive. Late in the game, they were getting home with pressure. We have tended to struggle against man-heavy teams that can disrupt the timing of our receivers' routes. The Chiefs are capable of that. Can't say for sure right now if they did it.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#908 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:21 am

Purdy's a stud. I came away from the game thinking that Kyle and the o-line let him down. I can see him becoming something akin to Brees.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#909 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:15 am

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Mahomes didn’t.

This is a total bullsht narrative you having been spewing all fall. You either don't watch the games or just an idiot
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#910 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:18 am

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Chiefs DB’s would disagree. They said that the gameplan was to make Purdy throw the ball and shut down CMC. That’s literally the same gameplan they had in 2019.

So what. Talk is cheap when the oline is letting defensive lineman run free to the QB
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#911 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:19 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I don't think you watch the games.

He is stuck on stupid and butthurt the 49ers traded Lance away
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#912 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:06 pm

I forget which podcast but one person speculated that Kyle could still move off Purdy and try to sign someone like Kirk Cousins.

I know they have a history together but Cousins hasn't performed in the playoffs. He's been good the last couple of years because he has Jefferson and a pretty good TE too.

The guy wasn't saying that's what the 49ers should do, just that it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that the 49ers go all-in on Purdy. He thought Purdy played well.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#913 » by Dodub » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

So what. Talk is cheap when the oline is letting defensive lineman run free to the QB

It’s not cheap if they backed it up. They stacked the box and still stifled out passing attack. If anything Brock looked more Jimmyeqe than ever this game. Teams played him exactly the same way that they played him and he was just as stifled as Jimmy.

I’ll no pretend that Brock played well. Even when he had lots of time, he checked it down. He missed two big throws that would have decided the game similar to Jimmy missing Sanders.

I still have tons of doubts, in my eyes he’s still just a more mobile Jimmy. He’s got to prove that he’s not that.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#914 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:45 pm

Nah man he's better than Jimmy G. Jimmy would've been sacked 5 times minimum with that kind of pressure. He was not excellent in the game by any stretch, but he was very solid. I also wished he would've made that throw to Deebo, but sometimes you have to tip your cap to an all-world DT in Chris Jones for blowing up three of our most important plays. The Sanders throw from Jimmy he had plenty of time with no one bearing down on him.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#915 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

Dodub wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Dodub wrote:

It’s not cheap if they backed it up. They stacked the box and still stifled out passing attack. If anything Brock looked more Jimmyeqe than ever this game. Teams played him exactly the same way that they played him and he was just as stifled as Jimmy.

I’ll no pretend that Brock played well. Even when he had lots of time, he checked it down. He missed two big throws that would have decided the game similar to Jimmy missing Sanders.

I still have tons of doubts, in my eyes he’s still just a more mobile Jimmy. He’s got to prove that he’s not that.

What did they backup? How many picks did they have? He looked nothing like Jinny G. On the deep throws he had no time to throw and had to alter his throw because the pocket collapsed. The announcers even pointed it out. Look at the pff scores. Brovmck had a score in the 70s and almost all if the lineman were in the 50s. You wonder why? Anyone who compares him to Jimmy G clearly hasn't watched the games this year
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#916 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:38 pm

Honestly, for this upcoming season I'm eager to see how Brock develops and (hopefully) commands more control of the offense. Kyle needs to accept more feedback from him on things and not be so rigid with his scheme. We could've used an old-fashioned Sprint Right option play a few times on Sunday.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#917 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:45 pm

Honestly, for this upcoming season I'm eager to see how Brock develops and (hopefully) commands more control of the offense. Kyle needs to accept more feedback from him on things and not be so rigid with his scheme. We could've used an old-fashioned Sprint Right option play a few times on Sunday.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#918 » by Big J » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:46 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Honestly, for this upcoming season I'm eager to see how Brock develops and (hopefully) commands more control of the offense. Kyle needs to accept more feedback from him on things and not be so rigid with his scheme. We could've used an old-fashioned Sprint Right option play a few times on Sunday.

Purdy going off script is a terrible idea. He had an insane number of dropped picks throughout the season. If he’s given free reign he would take way too many risks.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#919 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:51 pm

Big J wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Honestly, for this upcoming season I'm eager to see how Brock develops and (hopefully) commands more control of the offense. Kyle needs to accept more feedback from him on things and not be so rigid with his scheme. We could've used an old-fashioned Sprint Right option play a few times on Sunday.

Purdy going off script is a terrible idea. He had an insane number of dropped picks throughout the season. If he’s given free reign he would take way too many risks.

He also had a number of awesome plays off-script that were repeatedly made. Dude, I get it that you think he's limited, but you're greatly exaggerating his supposed shortcomings to make a point. And "off-script" is something different than Purdy making a protection adjustment pre-snap.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#920 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:56 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:

He also had a number of awesome plays off-script that were repeatedly made. Dude, I get it that you think he's limited, but you're greatly exaggerating his supposed shortcomings to make a point. And "off-script" is something different than Purdy making a protection adjustment pre-snap.

Not a point. A bullsht narrative he keeps pushing.

Return to San Francisco 49ers