The Brock Purdy Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#941 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:34 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:I'm not criticizing him for it but on that 3rd down play where Chris Jones came at him unblocked, I don't know if he had room to juke and get outside of him.

Certainly the best play-making QBs have done that, evade a free rusher and make a big play against cover 0, which the 49ers struggled against in this game.

We've even seen Purdy make pass rushers miss and make plays off schedule.

Definitely the fault lies with the OL, though I don't know if Purdy is adjusting protections at the LOS.

Maybe he saw that Jennings was open and trying to get it to him as soon as he could. Even if he avoided Jones, if he escaped to the outside, the blitzers might get to him, not to mention Jennings might no longer be open.

But that is the one thing that the QBs who've won big games have been able to do, still make plays when other players break down and erase their mistakes.

On that particular play, we showed a look I can't recall seeing before - which could explain why our blocking scheme was shaky. McCaffrey had split out, but he motioned just before the snap and was coming across the formation with a modified play action at the snap. The play called for Purdy to fake it to him and then drop back from there. Jones was two steps away with a head of steam as soon as Purdy came out of the fake handoff, and he was supposed to drop back from that spot so there wasn't an open read.

My first instinct was that virtually no one could have escaped that situation. Reviewing it right now, I'm not sure that's entirely right. Jones was right up the gut, and Karlaftis was to the right coming off Kittle's block as Kittle released into the pattern (McKivitz made this block, but Purdy couldn't have bailed to his right). Purdy COULD feasibly have spun away from Jones toward the left and gotten free long enough to find Aiyuk wide open in the back of the endzone. But that would have been an exceptional play that even Allen or Lamar only makes one in ten plays. Instead, Purdy put it up toward a player who was breaking open.

I don't have any problem with that decision whatsoever. IMO, there's a much higher likelihood of Jennings shaking the coverage a second earlier and adjusting to the ball than there is of Purdy (or any QB) getting loose from Jones.

This play was pretty **** from the beginning. I think they implemented it for this game, and it has some potential, but the guys aren't up on it. Pulling the center just wasn't a good call. McCaffrey actually comes open and could have picked up the first down if not a TD, but he kind of chipped the DE who Brendel couldn't entirely get to (he was still open).

I mean, look, we had Aiyuk, McCaffrey, and Jennings all open in the deep red zone. So it's not like we should just throw that play away. But Burford probably didn't practice that play much and sure seems to have botched the protection. Give Brock a half-second more and I have no doubt we score a TD on that play.
Burford has said that he didn't stick to his assignment, went on instinct instead. So he knew what to do, just didn't do it.

Sent from my SM-X610 using Tapatalk
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#942 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:36 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
The one where he hit the receiver in the hands? That Romo called a great throw, just not worth the risk? Are you forgetting the many occasions where Mahomes threw it up and was called ‘fortunate’ he wasn’t picked (more than he was). I guarantee you if Purdy had been picked and Mahomes not, you would be saying that was the difference in the game. That’s certainly what people said about Jimmy in the last one. Brock didn’t muff the punt, he didn’t miss the extra point, he didn’t fumble, he wasn’t called for back to back holding on our opening drive, etc. Almost every thing he did in the game helped us and almost nothing he did hurt us. You aren’t objective about this, imo. It really doesn’t sound like you watch more than the highlights much of the time.

The only reason Purdy Montana was able to muster a touchdown on that final drive in the 1988 super bowl was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If theChiefs Bengals defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy Montana would have been the goat. Isn't it great how that works.

...except Montana ended up winning that game. Bad example.
If you were around back then, you would have said that the Niners won despite Montana and that Dwight Clark bailed him out.

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,516

Post#943 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:46 pm

zman1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
The only reason Purdy Montana was able to muster a touchdown on that final drive in the 1988 super bowl was because of the dropped pick early in the drive. If theChiefs Bengals defender had held onto that ball the game would have been over and Purdy Montana would have been the goat. Isn't it great how that works.

If you were around back then, you would have said that the Niners won despite Montana and that Dwight Clark bailed him out.

Way before my time, but I THINK the catch game actually ended with a db bringing down the winning Dallas TD by his fingertips. Good thing he did or Montana would have been a much worse qb. (I know for sure it happened in a big game and The Catch one is the one know the least so am ~ confident)
Consequentialism is a completely worthless outlook, and though that’s widely understood in most spheres, sports unfortunately does promote its silliness as somehow valid so it’s an uphill battle to try and get past it.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#944 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 pm

No, it ended with a strip sack by the niners. Play before that a cowboys receiver almost broke away but got taken down with a horse collar. The game was definitely not over when Clark made the catch.

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#945 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:08 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
zman1 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Way before my time, but I THINK the catch game actually ended with a db bringing down the winning Dallas TD by his fingertips. Good thing he did or Montana would have been a much worse qb. (I know for sure it happened in a big game and The Catch one is the one know the least so am ~ confident)
Consequentialism is a completely worthless outlook, and though that’s widely understood in most spheres, sports unfortunately does promote its silliness as somehow valid so it’s an uphill battle to try and get past it.

The only reason the catch even happened was Montana overthrew a wide open Freddie Solomon in the end zone on a prior down. Mistakes happen even by the best in the game. You know you've got nothing left when you are resorting to that kind of argument against a QB
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#946 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:48 am

I think they put up stats, Montana didn’t throw an int in the 4 Super Bowls.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#947 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:21 am

wco81 wrote:I think they put up stats, Montana didn’t throw an int in the 4 Super Bowls.

I watched all four of those games. He didn't. The 49ers dominated three of them. The 1988 was a defensive battle
wco81
RealGM

Post#948 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:17 pm

Greg Cossell discussed s9me of the plays in the SB on Russ Tucker podcast.

On the third down play where Purdy got immediate pressure in the left B gap and threw incomplete, the Chiefs had 7 DBs and 2 linemen. Cossell said it’s more difficult for linemen to find which DBs to block first against that personnel.

CMC was split out wide to the right side and Kittle was in the backfield, to Purdy’s right.

Cossell said:

1. Maybe Kittle could have moved left to pick up McDuffie, the b-gap blitzes.

2. Aiyuk from slot and Jennings from wider position both ran slants. The slot slant was open, though that may not have been his first read.

I guess they didn’t anticipate where the pressure would come from, though that’s a pretty
Vanilla blitz and pass rush combo, the DE going wide to take the LT with him, leaving a wide open pass rush lane in the B-gap.

Does Purdy get to change protections or audible?

Could he have called a run vs. 2 DL and 7 DBs? Run it twice against the KC light package and if they don’t get 4-5 yards, they probably burn enough clock and KC timeouts so they’d be tied.

Or at least audible to CMC in the backfield so KC at least has to Think about the run.

I guess we won’t really know if Shanahan called a play with options to beat that blitz or if Purdy is allowed to make audibles in that situation. Someth8ng tells me that Kyle hasn’t given him such responsibilities.

Some “analysts” did question why they didn’t run twice there but they didn’t necessarily break down the formation and play called.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#949 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:18 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Great example. You are wrong as always. Both produced leads. Defense had it last. Except that Brock's pass wasn't a bad pass. He threw it only where Debo could catch it but Debo knock the ball up. Montana literally threw it into the hands of the defensive backs. But you can keep coming up with pure BS. It is expected

Ahh right, he's better than Montana. This is why there is so much vitriol towards Purdy homers.

That's not what he said, LMAO. Nick Wright would be proud.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#950 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:54 pm

wco81 wrote:Greg Cossell discussed s9me of the plays in the SB on Russ Tucker podcast.

On the third down play where Purdy got immediate pressure in the left B gap and threw incomplete, the Chiefs had 7 DBs and 2 linemen. Cossell said it’s more difficult for linemen to find which DBs to block first against that personnel.

CMC was split out wide to the right side and Kittle was in the backfield, to Purdy’s right.

Cossell said:

1. Maybe Kittle could have moved left to pick up McDuffie, the b-gap blitzes.

2. Aiyuk from slot and Jennings from wider position both ran slants. The slot slant was open, though that may not have been his first read.

I guess they didn’t anticipate where the pressure would come from, though that’s a pretty
Vanilla blitz and pass rush combo, the DE going wide to take the LT with him, leaving a wide open pass rush lane in the B-gap.

Does Purdy get to change protections or audible?

Could he have called a run vs. 2 DL and 7 DBs?
Run it twice against the KC light package and if they don’t get 4-5 yards, they probably burn enough clock and KC timeouts so they’d be tied.

Or at least audible to CMC in the backfield so KC at least has to Think about the run.

I guess we won’t really know if Shanahan called a play with options to beat that blitz or if Purdy is allowed to make audibles in that situation. Someth8ng tells me that Kyle hasn’t given him such responsibilities.

Some “analysts” did question why they didn’t run twice there but they didn’t necessarily break down the formation and play called.

That's my big question. I believe that one was 3rd and 4. Pretty criminal not to run the ball when they have two DL and seven DBs on a 3rd and 4.

I went into the highlights of the game film and paused just before the snap on this play. Can't figure out how to post it in here, unfortunately. It's brutal. Jones is lined up outside RT with a DB shaded just inside of him, Karlaftis outside LT, Willie Gay and Nick Bolton are lined up in two-point stances over the A gaps. And there is NOTHING behind them. No one up the middle except the safeties who are ten yards deep. But we have Kittle in the backfield and no clear run-play audible.

If we had McCaffrey back there and called a run, it could have gone for 15 if not a TD. Hell, even an audible to a draw to Purdy would have been worthwhile in that situation. That's rough.
wco81
RealGM

Post#951 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:54 pm

Romo said that Spagnolo was going to blitz or should so that the 49ers don't bleed the clock. Either the 49ers score easily and leave enough time for Mahomes or we get a rushed throw against a 2 DL/7 DB look.

That has to be malpractice that they didn't switch to a run.

I remember a clip of Kyle when he was OC for the Browns and he was telling Pettine the HC what was going to happen and it did so he was looking smug. Pettine didn't challenge Shanahan talking to him like that.

Maybe Kyle is so into his schemes that he won't admit to anyone that he was wrong. In the first playoff game, the announcer said that Kyle doesn't audible out of a run when there's 8 or 9 men in the box because he doesn't want the defense dictating when he can run or not.

If that's an accurate quote, it suggests a degree of narcissism or a kind of rigid lack of self-awareness.

Does he ever believe in taking what the defense gives you or he's going to go down with his play design and play calling, no matter what?

I'm wary of him continuing with all his powers, particularly in the draft. But now I have to wonder about his play calling too, which is suppose to be his forte.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#952 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:06 pm

wco81 wrote:Romo said that Spagnolo was going to blitz or should so that the 49ers don't bleed the clock. Either the 49ers score easily and leave enough time for Mahomes or we get a rushed throw against a 2 DL/7 DB look.

I remember a clip of Kyle when he was OC for the Browns and he was telling Pettine the HC what was going to happen and it did so he was looking smug. Pettine didn't challenge Shanahan talking to him like that.

Maybe Kyle is so into his schemes that he won't admit to anyone that he was wrong. In the first playoff game, the announcer said that Kyle doesn't audible out of a run when there's 8 or 9 men in the box because he doesn't want the defense dictating when he can run or not.

If that's an accurate quote, it suggests a degree of narcissism or a kind of rigid lack of self-awareness.

Does he ever believe in taking what the defense gives you or he's going to go down with his play design and play calling, no matter what?

I'm wary of him continuing with all his powers, particularly in the draft. But now I have to wonder about his play calling too, which is suppose to be his forte.

I will say, there's something of a fine line there. When you're talking about running into an 8-man box, this team would never have run the ball at all under Shanahan if we didn't do that. This offense flows through the run, and Shanahan schemes it up as well as anyone. If he let another team take away our strength simply by putting an extra guy in the box, we wouldn't be nearly as good as we have been. There's a strong argument that the Ravens lost because they let KC dictate their offense through KC's defensive scheme.

But that's only valid to a point. When a team trots out seven DBs, two LBs, one DT and one DE, and you only need four yards to basically salt away the game, you RUN THE DAMN BALL.

Man, I was already struggling to get over this one. Seeing that play again from this perspective (I had done a quick review focusing only on the pressure) is really putting a damper on my day.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#953 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 pm

wco81 wrote:Romo said that Spagnolo was going to blitz or should so that the 49ers don't bleed the clock. Either the 49ers score easily and leave enough time for Mahomes or we get a rushed throw against a 2 DL/7 DB look.

49ers offense was....

#1 in TD's scored
#1 in Rush TD's
#2 in Passing TD's
#3 in points per game
#1 in red zone TD rate
#2 in possession scoring %
#1 in yards per play
#2 in total yards
#1 in yards per pass attempt
#1 in pass completion %
#4 in passing yards
#4 in yards per carry
#3 in rushing yards
#4 in 3rd down conversion rate

So yeah man, there is obviously a ton of data that should make 49er fans legitimately concerned with Kyle as a playcaller.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#954 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:29 am

Back to Brock Purdy.

In a tie game, Led a potential game winning drive in regulation
In a tie game, led another potential game winning drive in Overtime.

Brock Purdy walked off the field with the lead in regulation.
Brock Purdy walked off the field with the lead in overtime.

The defense gagged the game away, twice.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#955 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:48 am

Read on Twitter

This reflects what CrimsonCrew has been talking about, in that the somehow the offensive line play gets deleted from the equation in regards to the Purdy detractors' claims that he only looks good because of the talent around him.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,516

Post#956 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:40 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This reflects what CrimsonCrew has been talking about, in that the somehow the offensive line play gets deleted from the equation in regards to the Purdy detractors' claims that he only looks good because of the talent around him.

One thing, his most viewed games before this were either his worse games or outliers like Philly where we legit did just short pass/YAC because of their pass rush and imo those cemented many casual fans into a misconception of him. Although the SB wasn’t one of his better games and didn’t have as many wow plays as usual, I do feel it was the first highly watched game that sort of captured how and why he is a lot more than his detractors say he is, and my general impression is that most fans (who aren’t just trolling) actually came away with a bit better understanding of what he is and what he’s been doing, and the OL’s weaknesses were on full display. Might have been Trent’s worst game in a while too, which might be overegging the pudding.

Of course most of what he does that’s exceptional happens between the ears and fans, especially fans who don’t regularly watch the team are oblivious to a lot of that, but until he gets enough wins under his belt a la Brees/Warner/Brady/Montana types that’s just how it’s going to be, but while I think many came away from the SB less impressed with Kyle, I think…I’d love feedback on whether others are seeing the same thing…but my general sense is that he outperformed casual fans’ expectations. So it feels like a lot of the criticism has softened a bit.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM

Post#957 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:50 am

thesack12 wrote:

49ers offense was....

#1 in TD's scored
#1 in Rush TD's
#2 in Passing TD's
#3 in points per game
#1 in red zone TD rate
#1 in yards per play
#2 in total yards
#1 in pass completion %
#4 in passing yards
#4 in yards per carry
#3 in rushing yards

So yeah man, there is obviously a ton of data that should make 49er fans legitimately concerned with Kyle as a playcaller.

They lost the game on the key play of the game or at least regulation by forcing a rushed pass against a 2DL, 7 DB look.

People are criticizing him for not running twice, on that play and going for it on 4th down, to burn the clock.

But finding out he chose NOT to run against a dime look, lets gloss over that.

Game could have been won right there.

This is why he's 0-3 in SBs.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#958 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:55 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

49ers offense was....

#1 in TD's scored
#1 in Rush TD's
#2 in Passing TD's
#3 in points per game
#1 in red zone TD rate
#1 in yards per play
#2 in total yards
#1 in pass completion %
#4 in passing yards
#4 in yards per carry
#3 in rushing yards

They lost the game on the key play of the game or at least regulation by forcing a rushed pass against a 2DL, 7 DB look.

People are criticizing him for not running twice, on that play and going for it on 4th down, to burn the clock.

But finding out he chose NOT to run against a dime look, lets gloss over that.

Game could have been won right there.

This is why he's 0-3 in SBs.

Game could have been won if the defense managed a stop at the end of regulation
Game would have been won if the defense stops KC on 4th down in Overtime
Game could have been won if the defense didn't allow a TD in overtime
Game could have been won if Greenlaw didn't suffer a devastating injury early in the 2nd quarter
Game could have been won if KC doesn't recover 6/7 fumbles, even 1 less would have made a MASSIVE difference
Game could have been won if CMC doesn't fumble on the opening drive when the offense was marching down the field
Game could have been won if Luter's foot isn't in the 1 square foot part of the field where the punt lands
Game could have been won if Feliciano doesn't get hurt and have to leave the game
Game could have been won if Burford doesn't decide to freelance and thus miss a critical assignment
Game could have been won if Kittle isn't in the locker room during the Overtime drive
Game could have been won if Willis doesn't commit a holding penalty that called back a 1st down on the overtime drive
Game could have been won if Trent Williams doesn't get called for a holding penalty that negated an 18 yard play & 1st down
Game could have been won if Moody's PAT doesn't get blocked
Game could have been won if Banks doesn't have false start 1st play after the Mahomes' INT when 9ers were on edge of FG range
Game could have been won if Gipson doesn't lose the ball in the lights on Mahomes' moonshot popfly deep ball
Game could have been won if the refs don't miss a blatant hold on Bosa on 3rd & 10 in the 4th quarter, which KC converted

So yeah, lets "Gloss over" all of the other numerous factors that contributed to the outcome of the game and focus on one cherry picked play call.

Breaking down the game play by play and critiquing the situational playcalling, is all good and totally fair. That happens with every game, and naturally will get amplified because it was the Super Bowl. I'm sure Kyle and his staff themselves will do that ad nauseum.

But to claim the 49ers lost the game due to an isolated play call, and we should worry about Kyle as a playcaller overall, is flat out absurd.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#959 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:39 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Great example. You are wrong as always. Both produced leads. Defense had it last. Except that Brock's pass wasn't a bad pass. He threw it only where Debo could catch it but Debo knowck the ball up. Montana literally threw it into the hands of the defensive backs. But you can keep coming up with pure BS. It is expected

Ahh right, he's better than Montana. This is why there is so much vitriol towards Purdy homers.

I didn't say that idiot. It is idiots like you who continually move the goal posts and come up with BS narratives.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#960 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

There are only few, but is the same claim made over and over again by the board clown. What is amusing is his list of better QBs that he touted during the regular season flamed out during the playoffs but he can always play the talent game because it is his only card left.

Return to San Francisco 49ers