Man losing after missing a game winning FG sucks lol
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Re: Week 6: 49ers @ Browns 

Post#442 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:18 pm

arich35 wrote:Man losing after missing a game winning FG sucks lol

Losing always sucks.

This time in particular feels bad and weird at the same time.

The NFCCG was the last time they lost. But that game was essentially over early in the 1st quarter and we all expected to lose that one by halftime. So that loss felt different, although the stakes were MUCH higher of course.

Save for that NFCCG, The 9ers haven't tasted a loss for 51 weeks. Which of course is only 1 week shy of an entire calendar year.

So yeah, this feeling is kind of foreign and I don't like it!
thesack12
RealGM

Post#443 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:56 pm

Definitely not out of the woods yet, but apparently Xrays on Deebo's shoulder were - and his injury is not considered serious. Set for more tests tomorrow.

Concerning post game news for Trent Williams, he was seen limping around the locker room and is now in a walking boot. Which isn't a great sign.

Haven't heard any updates on CMC yet, although apparently he's dealing with a rib issue along with the oblique.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#444 » by 49er4life1979 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:20 pm

thesack12 wrote:Definitely not out of the woods yet, but apparently Xrays on Deebo's shoulder were - and his injury is not considered serious. Set for more tests tomorrow.

Concerning post game news for Trent Williams, he was seen limping around the locker room and is now in a walking boot. Which isn't a great sign.

Haven't heard any updates on CMC yet, although apparently he's dealing with a rib issue along with the oblique.

The 49ers did not deserve to win this game. 11 penalties, 160 rushing yards surrendered, and Purdy had a bad game. No other reason why we lost
thesack12
RealGM

Post#445 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:37 pm

Bengals beating Seattle, and Jets taking down the Eagles takes some of the sting out of today's loss.

Didn't lose any ground to two of the most important rivals
thesack12
RealGM

Post#446 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:39 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Definitely not out of the woods yet, but apparently Xrays on Deebo's shoulder were - and his injury is not considered serious. Set for more tests tomorrow.

The 49ers did not deserve to win this game. 11 penalties, 160 rushing yards surrendered, and Purdy had a bad game. No other reason why we lost

Seems like you may have quoted the wrong post, but I agree with you.

9ers have nobody to blame but themselves for that loss. All 3 phases got thoroughly outplayed by their counterparts.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,304

Post#447 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:41 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:

They didn't deserve to win but they should have won.

They were outplayed most of the game but they made enough plays and got what should be a 95%+ FG attempt. If Moody misses a couple more of those, similar game situation, similar distance, then they have to move on from him. You see kickers fired for those kinds of misses all the time. However, that 3rd round pick will sting.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,304

Post#448 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:43 pm

thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

9ers have nobody to blame but themselves for that loss. All 3 phases got thoroughly outplayed by their counterparts.

I hope the players are humbled and get more hungry, because their behavior pre-game could indicate that they bought in too much to the hype.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,562

Post#449 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:51 pm

The timing and concurrence of the bad calls at the end definitely feels like a stolen win, but otoh they outplayed us pretty much all game and the refs were making bad calls both ways…early on we were getting the benefit. So weird, unsatisfying but not alarming feeling. The injuries otoh…and let’s not forget Trent had his ankle rolled, that might get worse overnight…that felt all too familiar.

As far as Kyle’s coaching, I have no problem with the way he handled the end of the game…no need to run another play, that should be well within the doable range, and yeah he’d missed earlier, but you can’t coach that way. Otoh, he seemed to want/invite the kind of muddy ‘adversity’ we got and coached like it. His conservative calls imo set the tone, and I think that more than anything got Brock off to a rough start, it’s like we were playing scared before anything to be scared of had happened, it was very odd, not sure how to think about it.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#450 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:20 am

So just found out Deebo injury occurred when he was a RB on a 3rd and 23 play. No chance for a 1st down. Clearly was avoidable. That one is on Kyle. Doesn't help that Deebo leads with his shoulder and his violent play style.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,455

Post#451 » by Big J » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:25 am

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

I hope the players are humbled and get more hungry, because their behavior pre-game could indicate that they bought in too much to the hype.

Purdy definitely needs to stop listening to the media members calling him the next Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Steve Young, ect.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#452 » by arich35 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:05 am

Big J wrote:
wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Purdy definitely needs to stop listening to the media members calling him the next Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Steve Young, ect.

How do you know what he is and isn't listening to?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#453 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:10 am

Wow, just a perfect storm of a week. Early start against a really good D coming off a bye, so definitely some elements of a trap game. I figured even with those factors, the D would be enough for us to pull out the win in this one. Hard to figure where to begin on this one. The entire team seemed out of sorts, especially the offense. It's been a hallmark of Shanahan teams that they can get sloppy, but this was the first time we saw it this season.

I'll start with the D, as there's less to say. The D generally played pretty well, though allowing 19 to a Browns team helmed by PJ Walker ain't great, though the offense certainly did them no favors. I was surprised to see the rushing totals, as it didn't seem like they were gashing us on the ground, at least until the end of the game, but there were a lot of 5-6 yard runs. Plenty of plays where we missed Greenlaw knifing through blockers to make a tackle for minimal gain. And they couldn't seem to get stops when they needed to. One silver lining is that Gregory looked pretty good in fairly limited snaps. That could be a nice addition going forward.

The offense was just off all day. Purdy wasn't hitting the balls he usually hits. Seems like the weather was a factor for one or two drives, but even factoring that in, he wasn't as crisp as usual. Aiyuk had a couple big drops, granted one or two on tough balls. We seemed to be trying to utilize a lot of misdirection and horizontal movement instead of moving the ball vertically. That felt like a mistake early on. Because the D kept us in it, Purdy did have a chance to stage a comeback, and he should have done enough. It's worth noting that Purdy has now had two opportunities for game-winning drives (this one and last year against the Raiders), and both drives resulted in missed 41-yard FGs.

I can understand the logic behind not trying to get more yards before kicking it, but it felt like the wrong decision in the moment. We had them on their heels a little bit. I would have tried to get another play or two in. Maybe you roll Purdy out and trust him to throw it away if nothing's there. But you don't just let the final 40+ seconds tick away when you have a rookie kicker who has been a bit shaky (granted it's hard to ding him for narrowly missing a 54-yarder earlier).

Frustrated with the injuries, but at least none of them should be season-ending. With a week to prep, we should be able to beat the Vikings without CMC and Deebo if we need to, but their D is pretty good. Big Trent may be the biggest question as the drop-off is just so big. Hopefully it wasn't too serious and he can play.

The good news is that the Eagles and Hawks also lost. Much as it stings that we didn't capitalize on that, might be a good thing ultimately to have a let-down game and have to regroup from it. I laughed out loud when the broadcasters said that Shanahan was thankful for a weather game. That was exactly the opposite of what we needed.

There were some awful calls against both sides, and ultimately probably the biggest one went against us to give them go-ahead points instead of forcing a punt on 4th and 10. Still, we were sloppy all damn game with offensive penalties repeatedly putting us behind the sticks. We absolutely have to tighten that up.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#454 » by arich35 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:36 pm

Seems like Jim Schwartz is in Kyle's head big time. Felt like the play calling and game plan were very strange, I don't know if it was because Deebo was gone so early or what was going on. He was trying too many screens that the Browns were all over every time, not much over the middle of the field like we usually do. That could be because of the pass rush but I don't think Kyle put the offense in a great position to succeed
Purdy had a really good deep pass to Aiyuk that he dropped which might have changed the game and confidence of the offense going forward. In the 2nd half it seemed like we were always starting at the 15 yard line after penalties or awful first down plays
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#455 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Man losing after missing a game winning FG sucks lol

Losing always sucks.

This time in particular feels bad and weird at the same time.

The NFCCG was the last time they lost. But that game was essentially over early in the 1st quarter and we all expected to lose that one by halftime. So that loss felt different, although the stakes were MUCH higher of course.

Save for that NFCCG, The 9ers haven't tasted a loss for 51 weeks. Which of course is only 1 week shy of an entire calendar year.

So yeah, this feeling is kind of foreign and I don't like it!

Hopefully no serious injuries. This team was not going to go undefeated and the offense go through a season without a bad game. Was going to happen at some point. Hoping they recover from it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#456 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:27 pm

Posted this in the Purdy thread, and figured I'd post it here, too. Drive-by-drive review of the game. My biggest takeaways are that the offense as a whole didn't show up. Purdy had two or three drives where he looked awful, seemingly impacted by the wetness. Other than that, several drives felt like he just didn't have a chance given penalties, the protection collapsing, etc.

So, drive-by-drive review of the offense and Purdy, as best I can remember it:

We scored on the first drive without Brock doing much of anything. I don't really count shovel passes as TD passes (though I would count his backward pass to McCaffrey a couple weeks ago to be a TD pass, so they probably shake out in the wash).

Next drive, poor playcall and execution (Garrett just tossed big Trent, McCaffrey ran into him, and there were two LBs on top of him as soon as he caught it) led to an immediate eight-yard loss. Then Kittle had a false start. Suddenly it was 2nd and 23. I thought Samuel dropped the second-down pass, but it was not a great ball and would have resulted in 3rd and 17 or so even if caught. We ran on 3rd and 23 and then missed the FG (and Deebo was hurt).

Next drive, Purdy converted a pass to Kittle on 3rd and 3, but penalty on Burford led to a 3rd and 13. Under quick pressure, Purdy uncorked what I thought was a nice ball to Aiyuk, but Aiyuk couldn't bring it in. Was it a "drop"? I don't know. It wasn't an easy ball. But it hit his hands and he usually catches those. He needed to here for what could have been a big play, likely a TD. We punted.

Next drive, Purdy had a couple nice connections including a longer ball to Aiyuk. He scrambled for the first on 3rd and 2 (or maybe this was the long sneak?). After running it twice in the red zone, Purdy got it to CMC for four. No great looks, though I think McCloud could have picked up the first down if Purdy hit him in the middle (probably would have been close). I think he was the third read at best. We were about to go up 10-0 at worst and our D looked in control, so I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan played it safe.

Next drive we did a lot of running. Solid pass to Juice for nine on first down. This is the drive where he missed CMC on a likely TD if he hit him. Should have thrown the ball inside, threw it outside instead. He was under quite a bit of pressure as memory serves. Hit Jennings on a decent ball, though Jennings made a nice grab at full extension. That's when the weather started in and Purdy seemed affected. The ball wasn't coming out cleanly. We had the delay of game penalty (looked like McCloud was uncertain of his motion covering for Deebo). Then Purdy lost the ball and got sacked.

Next drive to start the second half was the INT. Just an inaccurate ball. Looked like it slipped and didn't come out cleanly, but so it goes. Got to play through weather sometimes.

Next drive they blitzed on the first play and it wasn't picked up. Possibly Purdy should have seen it, or Mitchell should have picked it up, but it was play action, so hard for me to say. Immediately lost 10. We basically phoned the drive in with a short pass and a run.

Next drive we gained six on first down, but a hold wiped it out. Then a false start. It became first and 25. Purdy was sacked (can't really remember this one), and we just ran it twice and punted.

Next drive he almost hit Aiyuk on the out route on 3rd and 10, but it was too far ahead of him. Got the TD on the next drive after the Demo INT.

Then the drive where we could have salted it away. Browns were getting consistent pressure by this point. Had the intentional grounding on immediate pressure and then a throwaway on third and 11.

Then the final drive. Got bailed out with a PI on third down, but it was a legit penalty. He hit Aiyuk, and admittedly Aiyuk did most of that after the catch. Then he hit Aiyuk again, converted to Jennings. We ran it once and that was it. I thought that was a mistake. The offense was actually starting to click, had the D on their heels a bit. I would have run another play or two.

Anyway, no major revelations here. Purdy didn't look like himself. But circumstances out of his control also repeatedly backed us up and put us in tough situations. The pass rush was unrelenting, and the Browns were able to disrupt timing with man coverage. To me, that was arguably the story for our offense. Purdy has been so good because of his ability to anticipate where his receivers and defenders will be. But if a defense can disrupt that timing, it can be a problem. A couple misses to Aiyuk could probably be chalked up to man coverage and some contact at the line. Greg Olsen was probably right that we should have gotten Kittle more involved as he's a great weapon against man. And of course, losing CMC hurts a lot against man D.

Got to chalk it up and move on, learn from it, and get that passion back for next week. We absolutely have to beat the Vikings.

Return to San Francisco 49ers