Is CMC that selfish about the record at the expense of everything else?? Damn

Huh
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Re: Week 10: 49ers @ Jaguars 

Post#283 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:38 pm

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#284 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Yeah it's pretty obvious now. Nice try though

Is CMC that selfish about the record at the expense of everything else?? Damn

Well he's on my fantasy team.

OTOH, so is Deebo and I would have liked to have seen the Ambry Thomas return for TD stand but it didn't so the ensuing drive led to the Deebo TD.

Only .5 sack and 2 QB hits for Chase Young. But the whole DL produced 5 sacks and 10 hits. I don't know how many pressures, the box score doesn't show.

Hopefully sign of better things for the rest of the season with Young added to the mix.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#285 » by Jikkle » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:01 am

Man this is the very definition of a hot or cold team. When things click they really click and when they don't click it's awful.

Still good that the team looks like it did earlier on in the season and back on track.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#286 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:40 pm

Hragrave and Bosa led the way with 1.5 sacks a piece and I believe each had 3 QB hits. Great team effort. And looks like Oliver has been benched and Ambry Thomas has been put in. Fingers crossed.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#287 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:43 pm

Jikkle wrote:Man this is the very definition of a hot or cold team. When things click they really click and when they don't click it's awful.

Still good that the team looks like it did earlier on in the season and back on track.

Yeah, I don't know. In terms of things looking awful, they played poorly three games in a row, but were right in all three until the very end despite the bad play. Purdy was bad in the Cleveland game until the end, but he played well for the first three quarters of both the Minnesota and Cincinnati games. He - and our passing offense - aren't suited for making up deficits late in games.

Hopefully the three-game losing skid was the wakeup call this team needed, and they can lock in for the rest of the year. Inasmuch as we have some tough games coming up, the Eagles' next five are: at KC, vs. Buffalo, vs. us, at Dallas, at Seattle. That's got to be as tough a stretch of games as any team will face this season. If we can take care of business in Philly, there's a good chance we'll control our own destiny.

The Lions are the team that we should probably be worrying about for home-field advantage. They end the season with Minnesota sandwiching Dallas, which could be a bit of a challenge, but otherwise it's a cake schedule. Chicago twice, GB, NO, and Denver. It's hard to see them losing more than three or four for the season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#288 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:47 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Hragrave and Bosa led the way with 1.5 sacks a piece and I believe each had 3 QB hits. Great team effort. And looks like Oliver has been benched and Ambry Thomas has been put in. Fingers crossed.

This could be game-specific. JAX has smaller, shiftier slot guys. I wouldn't be shocked if Oliver got more looks against run-heavy teams or teams with bigger slot guys. Next week against TB should be interesting to see. Best-case might be Womack coming back and taking that outside job from Thomas on nickel downs. Thomas has some ability, as we saw with his nice play in the red zone this week, but he just can't defend deep stuff on the outside. He gets burned constantly. You can't have that.

Luter is also a possibility. He's probably more of a prototype outside corner than Womack, but hard to see them going with a rookie who hasn't played at all at this stage.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#289 » by arich35 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:Man this is the very definition of a hot or cold team. When things click they really click and when they don't click it's awful.

I don't think any game was awful. We never get blown out or haven't had a chance to win a game. We really should be 7-2 right now if it weren't for a missed kick.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#290 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:59 pm

arich35 wrote:

I don't think any game was awful. We never get blown out or haven't had a chance to win a game. We really should be 7-2 right now if it weren't for a missed kick.

Yeah, football inevitably comes down to a handful of key plays, and it's hard to play "what if" on a lot of them because they would change how the teams approached the game. We can fairly say they should have won the Browns game because they had a FG that is hit like 88% of the time throughout the league and they missed it. Harder on the others, but that TD at the end of the first half against the Vikings was huge. Not to mention the missed 40-yarder earlier in the game (though we hit from 55 and they missed from 50). If we didn't need a TD at the end there, we very likely win that game.

And against the Bengals, if we avoided the dumb/fluky INT in the deep red zone, that's very much a game. If Purdy just slid or went out of bounds, it would have been second-and-goal from the 10 in a 17-10 game. Wheels fell off after that, but if we scored there - even a FG - we would have been right back in it.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#291 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Hragrave and Bosa led the way with 1.5 sacks a piece and I believe each had 3 QB hits. Great team effort. And looks like Oliver has been benched and Ambry Thomas has been put in. Fingers crossed.

This could be game-specific. JAX has smaller, shiftier slot guys. I wouldn't be shocked if Oliver got more looks against run-heavy teams or teams with bigger slot guys. Next week against TB should be interesting to see. Best-case might be Womack coming back and taking that outside job from Thomas on nickel downs. Thomas has some ability, as we saw with his nice play in the red zone this week, but he just can't defend deep stuff on the outside. He gets burned constantly. You can't have that.

Luter is also a possibility. He's probably more of a prototype outside corner than Womack, but hard to see them going with a rookie who hasn't played at all at this stage.

Yea probably go with Womack for sure. Luter has not participated in any camp or preseason or minicamp even. Hard for a 5th rounder to get playing time with that.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#292 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:04 pm

Oliver’s had a weird year. Lots of big plays, not normal y what you want from a db, and yeah too many have been bad. But he’s also made a bunch of great plays, often in big moments. Can’t figure out if it’s system, or he’s a gambler, or he’s being targeted, or what. Been too depressed to watch the 22s lately, really just been burrowing as a 9ers fan, but maybe the win will get me back watching the film so I have a better idea. Thomas played well for the most part.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#293 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:12 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:

Oliver’s had a weird year. Lots of big plays, not normal y what you want from a db, and yeah too many have been bad. But he’s also made a bunch of great plays, often in big moments. Can’t figure out if it’s system, or he’s a gambler, or he’s being targeted, or what. Been too depressed to watch the 22s lately, really just been burrowing as a 9ers fan, but maybe the win will get me back watching the film so I have a better idea. Thomas played well for the most part.

His great plays have all been in the run game or coming up to make tackles on screens and crossers. He's been really good doing that. But in our three losses, I believe he allowed every single pass into his coverage area to be completed, including multiple TDs. He just wasn't hacking it in coverage. He got burned repeatedly with the endzone fade from 15-20 yards out. Just didn't get turned around in time and the WR blew by him.

Having said that, I believe Jimmie Ward also allowed every pass into his coverage to be completed for like a four-game span. So maybe scheme is part of it.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#294 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Yeah, football inevitably comes down to a handful of key plays, and it's hard to play "what if" on a lot of them because they would change how the teams approached the game. We can fairly say they should have won the Browns game because they had a FG that is hit like 88% of the time throughout the league and they missed it. Harder on the others, but that TD at the end of the first half against the Vikings was huge. Not to mention the missed 40-yarder earlier in the game (though we hit from 55 and they missed from 50). If we didn't need a TD at the end there, we very likely win that game.

And against the Bengals, if we avoided the dumb/fluky INT in the deep red zone, that's very much a game. If Purdy just slid or went out of bounds, it would have been second-and-goal from the 10 in a 17-10 game. Wheels fell off after that, but if we scored there - even a FG - we would have been right back in it.

In hindsight I'd rather have letdowns earlier in the season. The team needed some humbling after feeling themselves by beating up Dallas. Two of the losses were out-of-conference teams, so if you're going to drop games those are the ones to do it.

Beating Tampa, Seattle and Philly would be huge for seeding/tiebreaker purposes.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to San Francisco 49ers