ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 12: 49ers @ Seahawks

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: Week 12: 49ers @ Seahawks 

Post#261 » by zman1 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:28 am

arich35 wrote:Glad Purdy bounced back a bit after that INT. It is good to see him not compound the mistakes
You know that pass was tipped twice right? Not necessarily a bad throw or decision.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#262 » by arich35 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:29 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
arich35 wrote:Glad Purdy bounced back a bit after that INT. It is good to see him not compound the mistakes

I know a healthy % of Int’s are tips, but that imo wasn’t that bad of a pass. My issues with him tonight were more that he was less aggressive than usual, but he didn’t really put the ball in danger much, that play aside.

He was high both those throws. It seemed like Kyle stopped going downfield as much after the first drive for some reason. I still think Purdy's elbow was bothering him a bit
arich35
General Manager

Post#263 » by arich35 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:30 am

zman1 wrote:
You know that pass was tipped twice right? Not necessarily a bad throw or decision.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I only saw the tip by CMC, didn't see the one at the line but if so then not a bad throw
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#264 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:32 am

arich35 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

I know a healthy % of Int’s are tips, but that imo wasn’t that bad of a pass. My issues with him tonight were more that he was less aggressive than usual, but he didn’t really put the ball in danger much, that play aside.

He was high both those throws. It seemed like Kyle stopped going downfield as much after the first drive for some reason. I still think Purdy's elbow was bothering him a bit

Could be the noise. Players say it’s so loud it affects your vision, like things actually shake…which is not ideal for quarterbacking. First time there and all. It’s definitely the least confident Kyle has seemed in Purdy that I can remember, but that might just be their strength being on the back end, too.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#265 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:14 am

Not sure what Seattle was running, but we can struggle against more aggressive coverage. If corners can disrupt routes, it affects Purdy's ability to make those deep crossing passes in rhythm. Not sure if that's what was going on tonight, but definitely noticed that against Cleveland.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#266 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:21 am

Dominant win. I never felt the W was in doubt. Even after the pick-6 which was tipped twice, oh well. That TD to Aiyuk was an absolute thing of beauty. Defensive line was incredible, as was Ward.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#267 » by 49er4life1979 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:07 pm

Wow Geno Smith's passer rating when targeting Ambry Thomas last night was 20.3. Though he did get away with a hold in the end zone in the 4th quarter. Still, great job. Wilks specialty is the secondary so maybe that's the positive affect.
arich35
General Manager

Post#268 » by arich35 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:14 pm

Ward said it was Kyle's idea to have him match up with Metcalf all night because it worked last year
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#269 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:49 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Wow Geno Smith's passer rating when targeting Ambry Thomas last night was 20.3. Though he did get away with a hold in the end zone in the 4th quarter. Still, great job. Wilks specialty is the secondary so maybe that's the positive affect.

He did, but even that was impressive, veteran move the way the ref was ~ shielded from what otherwise seemed incidental. There are exactly no great corners who don’t know how to do that.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#270 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:24 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Wow Geno Smith's passer rating when targeting Ambry Thomas last night was 20.3. Though he did get away with a hold in the end zone in the 4th quarter. Still, great job. Wilks specialty is the secondary so maybe that's the positive affect.

Thomas' challenge is consistency. He can look great one week and resemble a practice squad player the next. Not necessarily surprising that a young guy isn't consistent but that is clearly something he will have to work on to get to the next level. Hopefully Womack is showing enough in practice that Wilks will feel comfortable putting him in during the games Thomas is playing down to the floor of his ability.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#271 » by thesack12 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:53 pm

Its great to see Thomas make plays like the INT on Thursday and the fumble recovery against the Jags. And I of course would love to see him finally figure it out and become a solid player. But he is still miles from being a solid player.

Last week Ambry gave up a ridiculously easy TD in which Evans created like 3 yards of separation on a play that started at the 1 yard line. He would have given up a 2nd TD later in the game, if Brown didn't knock the ball out with a well timed/placed hit.

Ambry was also targeted and gave up the conversion on 4th down late in the 4th quarter that allowed Tampa to stay in the game at the time.

On Thursday, As mentioned Thomas got away with a blatant hold on his PBU in the end zone. So while it was a great result, it wasn't really a great play.

Dude is allowing an insane 75% completion percentage when targeted this season.

Ambry Thomas remains one of the worst players on the field when he's out there, most times THE WORST.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#272 » by Samurai » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:09 am

Ambry Thomas ended up being our highest PFF graded player against Seattle - 90.2. Just edging out Bosa (89.7) and Warner (88.5) and Woerner (88.1 but on only 18 snaps) and CMC (84.3) leading the offensive players. This was also the highest grade of Thomas' career, including an impressive 90.5 coverage grade. Thomas allowed only 2 catches for 16 yards on 4 targets with a pick. When targeting Thomas, Geno Smith had a dismal 20.8 passer rating. Obviously this is only one game and sadly we've all seen Thomas be one of the lowest graded players on defense too often. Nevertheless, it is encouraging to see just how high his ceiling could be when he is playing at his best.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#273 » by Jikkle » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:15 am

Thomas feels like he's in that Chris Cullivar and Ahkello Witherspoon category of CBs in that they tease you with some good games but just never quite put it all together on a consistent basis.

Love to be wrong though and that he's just a late bloomer or Wilks being a secondary guy has been able to get more out of him.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#274 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:31 pm

thesack12 wrote:Its great to see Thomas make plays like the INT on Thursday and the fumble recovery against the Jags. And I of course would love to see him finally figure it out and become a solid player. But he is still miles from being a solid player.

Last week Ambry gave up a ridiculously easy TD in which Evans created like 3 yards of separation on a play that started at the 1 yard line. He would have given up a 2nd TD later in the game, if Brown didn't knock the ball out with a well timed/placed hit.

Ambry was also targeted and gave up the conversion on 4th down late in the 4th quarter that allowed Tampa to stay in the game at the time.

On Thursday, As mentioned Thomas got away with a blatant hold on his PBU in the end zone. So while it was a great result, it wasn't really a great play.

Dude is allowing an insane 75% completion percentage when targeted this season.

Ambry Thomas remains one of the worst players on the field when he's out there, most times THE WORST.

Points well taken. So far this is all just a small sample size. Definitely some good things but also some concerns.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#275 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 2:36 am

Jikkle wrote:Thomas feels like he's in that Chris Cullivar and Ahkello Witherspoon category of CBs in that they tease you with some good games but just never quite put it all together on a consistent basis.

Love to be wrong though and that he's just a late bloomer or Wilks being a secondary guy has been able to get more out of him.

Stocks of players can go up and down, especially young ones.

For instance, in one of the Seahawks forums, they were really down on Woolen, who last year was suppose to be a key part of a new dominant defensive backfield

Apparently fast but can't tackle.

Return to San Francisco 49ers