ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NFL Draft prospects

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

2024 NFL Draft prospects 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:13 pm

Not really following the draft but for nostalgia value for 49ers fans, Jerry Rice and Frank Gore’s sons are in the draft.

Brendan Rice scored 12 TDs for USC and is rated maybe a 3rd or 4th round prospect, though may be taller and faster than his father.

Frank Gore Jr. is rated only the 14th RB prospect so maybe in the last couple of rounds. Only 5-9, 185 pounds.

No 40 times for either yet.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Re: 2024 NFL Draft prospects 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:25 am

At this point the only prospects I want this team to look at is offensive linemen.

Obviously, they wouldn't but I can't say I would hate it if they used every pick on offensive linemen.

Of course, this team could use defensive line depth and DBs as well and I hope that's the only 3 positions we draft all draft.

The offensive line is the one that always confuses me because I get why they go cheap on it but with that said I don't get why it's not more of a focus for them to draft on.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#3 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:48 pm

Jikkle wrote:At this point the only prospects I want this team to look at is offensive linemen.

Obviously, they wouldn't but I can't say I would hate it if they used every pick on offensive linemen.

Of course, this team could use defensive line depth and DBs as well and I hope that's the only 3 positions we draft all draft.

The offensive line is the one that always confuses me because I get why they go cheap on it but with that said I don't get why it's not more of a focus for them to draft on.

Preach! Been saying this since the draft. and maybe you can argue no one where we were picking helps us much this year. Okay, still prefer talented warm bodies in there, but for argument’s sake, okay. But OL is going to be an issue next year, too, and moving forward, and that excuse for not addressing your number 1 (or 2, you could argue DB was) area of weakness in an entire draft but we’re taking luxury picks…it borders on negligence for me. Now the biggest OL problem moving forward is the hardest to solve, replacing Trent if/when he’s done. And we’re probably not picking in any place where it’s reasonable to expect anything close to that. But that makes levelling up from journeyman everywhere else along the line (okay, say Banks is a keeper) more essential.

Otherwise, as I keep saying, our window as a SB contender is Trent. When he’s out our OL drops from middling to amongst the league’s worst and we become borderline dysfunctional. And we can see this coming from miles out, granted you don’t just pick up another Trent Williams, but you should be taking lots of shots. Instead of drafting kickers and TE projects.

The only argument that makes any sense beyond the kind of arrogance Kyle can be prey to is if there is a legit organizational philosophy on the investment-to-payoff of OL’s vs. getting guys on the cheap and developing, but I would argue IF that’s been something they have decided works, it must be considered that having Trent there is a major part of why it works, and that guy is at the stage where every year might be his last. We have so much talent that will be just going to waste if our OL can’t block anyone.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:47 pm

Part of the frustration for me is that OL, and particularly interior OL, is a spot where you can find good players later in the draft. They've had a glut of those mid-round picks, but haven't hit on players. They actually did use a high-value pick on OL in 2021 when they took Aaron Banks, but he's been a disappointment as the second interior OL taken in that draft. And they took him over Creed Humphrey, who may be the best young interior OL in the league. I was screaming for them to take an OT in the third round this year, and they took Latu instead. Bleh. Hopefully they are realizing they have to prioritize the position a bit more.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:49 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Jikkle wrote:At this point the only prospects I want this team to look at is offensive linemen.

Preach! Been saying this since the draft. and maybe you can argue no one where we were picking helps us much this year. Okay, still prefer talented warm bodies in there, but for argument’s sake, okay. But OL is going to be an issue next year, too, and moving forward, and that excuse for not addressing your number 1 (or 2, you could argue DB was) area of weakness in an entire draft but we’re taking luxury picks…it borders on negligence for me. Now the biggest OL problem moving forward is the hardest to solve, replacing Trent if/when he’s done. And we’re probably not picking in any place where it’s reasonable to expect anything close to that. But that makes levelling up from journeyman everywhere else along the line (okay, say Banks is a keeper) more essential.

Otherwise, as I keep saying, our window as a SB contender is Trent. When he’s out our OL drops from middling to amongst the league’s worst and we become borderline dysfunctional. And we can see this coming from miles out, granted you don’t just pick up another Trent Williams, but you should be taking lots of shots. Instead of drafting kickers and TE projects.

The only argument that makes any sense beyond the kind of arrogance Kyle can be prey to is if there is a legit organizational philosophy on the investment-to-payoff of OL’s vs. getting guys on the cheap and developing, but I would argue IF that’s been something they have decided works, it must be considered that having Trent there is a major part of why it works, and that guy is at the stage where every year might be his last. We have so much talent that will be just going to waste if our OL can’t block anyone.

Regarding this, if that was the plan, it's not working. They have had all sorts of interesting developmental interior OL (not so much OTs) with intriguing measurables in guys like Jason Poe, Joey Fisher, even Nick Zakelj. To date, those dudes haven't come close to panning out. I'm definitely not saying let's start throwing high picks at OGs, but how about some thirds and fourths?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:37 pm

Burford had a 36.2 PFF grade, though only on 26 snaps, so maybe he didn't play as much as I thought. McKivitz had a 40.5. Not really sure why we moved him to LT and put Moore in at RT. Seemed like we made two positions worse instead of just the one.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#7 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:55 am

Kyle from what I can tell pretty much puts a premium on LT and somewhat on C. But at this point it's clear Kyle views the group to go cheap on and coach them up.

My belief is from Kyle's point of view he believes his scheme can give the offensive line favorable blocking opportunities so you don't need to burn a significant amount of resources into the group because the scheme is going to allow them to win.

The massive issue is when we face defenses where the scheme and razzle-dazzle doesn't work it completely blows up in his face as we saw with the Ravens. When the razzle-dazzle doesn't work you need the offensive line to just flat-out win and Trent is the only one that can do that consistently. You need time for guys to work themselves open but you can't get that time because the offensive line is losing once the ball is snapped so the QB is stuck with no one to throw it to and nowhere to run.

I'll say that Kyle obviously drafted and counted on these guys to be at least better than what they are and I doubt this is how he envisioned the offensive line performing. Clearly they didn't draft guys for everyone to be All-Pros but I can't imagine they thought guys were going to be this bad.

This is why I feel they should just overdraft it as the more they draft it the higher the odds that someone will rise to the top and either meet or outperform expectations.

With all these picks year after year and a roster loaded with talent why not burn them on the weaker position group and one of the most important at that in the offensive line. I mean I'd rather pick 5 offensive linemen and whiff on 3 or 4 of them if you get a bonafide quality starter at one of the positions compared to making a bunch of luxury picks for like a kicker or RB.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:14 pm

Jikkle wrote:Kyle from what I can tell pretty much puts a premium on LT and somewhat on C. But at this point it's clear Kyle views the group to go cheap on and coach them up.

My belief is from Kyle's point of view he believes his scheme can give the offensive line favorable blocking opportunities so you don't need to burn a significant amount of resources into the group because the scheme is going to allow them to win.

The massive issue is when we face defenses where the scheme and razzle-dazzle doesn't work it completely blows up in his face as we saw with the Ravens. When the razzle-dazzle doesn't work you need the offensive line to just flat-out win and Trent is the only one that can do that consistently. You need time for guys to work themselves open but you can't get that time because the offensive line is losing once the ball is snapped so the QB is stuck with no one to throw it to and nowhere to run.

I'll say that Kyle obviously drafted and counted on these guys to be at least better than what they are and I doubt this is how he envisioned the offensive line performing. Clearly they didn't draft guys for everyone to be All-Pros but I can't imagine they thought guys were going to be this bad.

This is why I feel they should just overdraft it as the more they draft it the higher the odds that someone will rise to the top and either meet or outperform expectations.

With all these picks year after year and a roster loaded with talent why not burn them on the weaker position group and one of the most important at that in the offensive line. I mean I'd rather pick 5 offensive linemen and whiff on 3 or 4 of them if you get a bonafide quality starter at one of the positions compared to making a bunch of luxury picks for like a kicker or RB.

In general, they're right not to use high picks or a lot of money at OG. But they also shouldn't effectively ignore the position (or center, for that matter, where Brendel has struggled this year). You can find quality interior offensive linemen in the fourth or fifth round. It's a lot harder to find quality OTs, CBs, or pass rushers - though, of course, quality players are found in that range at those positions every year, just not at the same rate.

Hopefully this season is driving home the importance of having more competition at those interior OL spots. I wouldn't mind using our first-round pick on a future OT who could potentially play OG for a year or two before Trent hangs them up. I wanted them to do that a few years ago with Tristan Wirfs (well, I wanted him to start at LT after Staley retired, but we signed Trent the next day). And I would still look to add an interior OL or two with our six picks between rounds three and five.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#9 » by arich35 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Burford had a 36.2 PFF grade, though only on 26 snaps, so maybe he didn't play as much as I thought. McKivitz had a 40.5. Not really sure why we moved him to LT and put Moore in at RT. Seemed like we made two positions worse instead of just the one.

That isn't what happened. Moore went into concussion protocol rather quickly after he came in. That forced them to move McKivitz to LT and they put Burford at RT. This was after they cut Matt Pryor before the game for Verrett, so bad timing there.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:29 am

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Burford had a 36.2 PFF grade, though only on 26 snaps, so maybe he didn't play as much as I thought. McKivitz had a 40.5. Not really sure why we moved him to LT and put Moore in at RT. Seemed like we made two positions worse instead of just the one.

That isn't what happened. Moore went into concussion protocol rather quickly after he came in. That forced them to move McKivitz to LT and they put Burford at RT. This was after they cut Matt Pryor before the game for Verrett, so bad timing there.

Yeah, that makes more sense.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#11 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 5, 2024 11:22 pm

Been digging into the draft a bit more recently. The first round is pretty loaded with OTs, fortunately. I see seven guys who should be on our radar at 31: Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, Mims, and Guyton. Fair chance one of those guys falls to us, but we need to at least entertain the thought of a trade up into the 20s. Given our needs and the draft's strength at that position, it's frankly hard to see us coming away from the first round without addressing that position, though certainly possible.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#12 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:06 am

Man, just ran a mock draft simulation and all seven of these guys went by pick 25. That's wild. As said, may require us to trade up a bit to secure one of them. To get up that high, we'd probably have to include one of our third-rounders.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#13 » by arich35 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:24 pm

Is there a DT prospect that could end up being reasonable at 31? If they have fallen in love with someone I wouldn't doubt if we go that way in round 1 and the G in round 2
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:30 pm

arich35 wrote:Is there a DT prospect that could end up being reasonable at 31? If they have fallen in love with someone I wouldn't doubt if we go that way in round 1 and the G in round 2

The dream at 31 would probably be Byron Murphy from Texas. It's somewhat unlikely he's there, but certainly not impossible as I've seen plenty of mocks in which he falls out of the first round. Jer'Zhan (Johnny) Newton has also been rising up draft boards, with several mocks putting him in the 20s. Both guys are kind of smaller penetrator types (especially Newton), but I think that's fine as long as we also add a bigger body to plug the middle at times.

The second round is also an interesting spot for DT. You could see a Kris Jenkins from Michigan or Braden Fiske from Florida State could be there and would demand attention (good chance they're both gone). In the third, maybe T'Vondre Sweat of Texas, though not sure he'd appeal to our coaching staff. He's huge (360+), but a great run-stuffer. Mekhi Wingo could be a guy in the third or fourth.

It's not a bad draft for DTs, and seems like there could be a chance to land a value pick. I'm worried the coaching staff might reach, though....

Have I mentioned I'm super pissed our comp pick for Jimmy G. is a fourth instead of a third? I was really hoping to come out of the first three rounds with one or two OL, a CB, and a DE/DT (was leaning DE until yesterday, now pretty firmly onto DT).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:30 pm

The good news is that many mock drafts either have one of the OTs falling or have Murphy available.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 pm

Oh, totally forgot about Ruke Orhorhoro. He'd be a good candidate at DT in the second round.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#17 » by Jikkle » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 am

This team is at some interesting crossroads with this draft because do you approach aggressively and trade up to get higher-end guys that have larger odds of making a big impact or do you take a more passive approach and try to add more players to inject some youth into the roster and start to transition in the era of having your cap space eaten by the QB?

Thinking about it I do feel this team at the least needs to aggressively get an OT. I'm not sure if or how far they'd have to trade up but to me getting an OT is a must.

Need a guy that can shift to LT when Williams retires and we need a guy in that spot now to bolster the line. The running game is waaaaay to left-handed so desperately need to get the right side at least functional. Looking back I believe 2019 was probably our best year running the ball in the Shanahan era and that's because you had Staley on one side and McGlinchey who despite his faults in the passing game was a pretty good run blocker before the injuries sapped him

After that I'd say take the more passive approach and stand pat or make slight trade downs for future picks to start getting younger and start developing guys to replace the guys that getting older and too expensive.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#18 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:47 pm

Jikkle wrote:This team is at some interesting crossroads with this draft because do you approach aggressively and trade up to get higher-end guys that have larger odds of making a big impact or do you take a more passive approach and try to add more players to inject some youth into the roster and start to transition in the era of having your cap space eaten by the QB?

Thinking about it I do feel this team at the least needs to aggressively get an OT. I'm not sure if or how far they'd have to trade up but to me getting an OT is a must.

Need a guy that can shift to LT when Williams retires and we need a guy in that spot now to bolster the line. The running game is waaaaay to left-handed so desperately need to get the right side at least functional. Looking back I believe 2019 was probably our best year running the ball in the Shanahan era and that's because you had Staley on one side and McGlinchey who despite his faults in the passing game was a pretty good run blocker before the injuries sapped him

After that I'd say take the more passive approach and stand pat or make slight trade downs for future picks to start getting younger and start developing guys to replace the guys that getting older and too expensive.

It's a really good OT draft, but to get a guy with a future at LT, we might have to move up into the early 20s. Dallas and Green Bay both lost their LTs, so I think we'd have to jump them. That probably means trading our first and third. I could live with it, but after so few high picks lately, it would definitely sting to only make two picks on the first two days of the draft.

If we don't get one of the top guys, we could possibly move back into the early second and look at a guy like Suamataia from BYU, or hope Amegadjie from Yale is there in the late second (which might be a bit of a reach, but we may not have a choice). Those guys are more projects, but seem to have the physical tools to play LT. Paul from Houston might, too, but my sense is that he doesn't move as naturally.

I'm all for adding impact players, but this team needs quality depth in the worst way. We're no longer the deepest team in the league. After the front line players, it drops off pretty quickly....
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#19 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 pm

Having said the above, there are still a lot of mock drafts in which one of the OTs is still there at 31. Guyton and Fautanu seem to be the most common names. But I'm not really counting on that in reality.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#20 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm

PFF mocked Guyton to the Niners. Wouldn’t hate it..actually, that sounds too negative, I’d be pretty happy with it…but it’d be another OL we’re semi-redshirting as he develops.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to San Francisco 49ers