ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 16: Ravens @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Re: Week 16: Ravens @ 49ers 

Post#401 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:33 am

threw that right into the teeth of triple coverage.

Was bout to get sacked again, so ehh who cares
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#402 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:33 am

Why call the TOs Kyle?

Take the loss like a man and end this game so everybody can go home.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#403 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:50 am

This is where dumpster diving for offensive linemen kill us.

The offense can't handle defenses it can't create obvious mismatches and the offensive line can't handle top-tier defensive lines to buy enough time to get open.

If Kyle can't use all the razzle-dazzle and use all the tools in the toolbox the offense just completely falls apart as we've seen time and time again.

This is why the draft can be so frustrating because we burn 3rd round picks on RBs that don't even see the field, draft a Kicker, a TE that we basically redshirted because he sucked instead of using picks on offensive linemen the thinnest weakest position group.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#404 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:27 am

1st at the 2 and they call pass, run, pass (sack), pass (INT)
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#405 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:19 am

The good news it sounds like Trent will be just fine. Kyle said Trent wanted to go back out but he held him from going back in.

Banks aggravated his turf toe injury so that's probably not good news

Moore has a concussion and given it's a short week it'll be a question if he's available but hopefully we won't need him.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#406 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:20 pm

Had the game on in the background but from what it looked like I didn't miss much. Sort of bizarre that Kyle's teams, historically, struggle playing from behind. You'd think a 4-point deficit at halftime isn't some insurmountable lead. Tough day at the office for the offense and Purdy, but it's not always going to be sunshine and roses. They have to get way better at playing from behind.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#407 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:34 pm

I thought this week was another game where the team's lack of depth showed up. Interior OL continues to be a problem. We have no real depth behind the starters at OT, and no real prospects of developing anyone. Bell caught the late TD, but we really only have three viable WRs right now. Verrett allowed the first TD, and he really shouldn't be on the field when all our CBs are healthy. Oliver has been a huge disappointment. I don't know if we have a FS of the future, though we seem to at least have two solid safeties in Huf and Brown.

I feel like a broken record, but his FO has really struggled in the first three rounds. Got to break that pattern this year and add some quality depth across the board. I want at least two or three picks on the OL. At least one corner. Probably another pass rusher. And maybe multiple WRs, too.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#408 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:37 pm

Just to harp for another minute, Nico Collins went one pick after Trey Sermon. Romeo Doubs went several picks after both Davis-Price and Danny Gray. We've really let that WR cupboard get bare while wasting picks on RBs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#409 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:40 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Had the game on in the background but from what it looked like I didn't miss much. Sort of bizarre that Kyle's teams, historically, struggle playing from behind. You'd think a 4-point deficit at halftime isn't some insurmountable lead. Tough day at the office for the offense and Purdy, but it's not always going to be sunshine and roses. They have to get way better at playing from behind.

Yeah, given that it doesn't really affect the standings, maybe this game will be a good wakeup call heading into the playoffs. They need to really lock in.

As I said during the game, Kyle's teams don't really do all that well with adversity. Compared to teams coached by Belichick, Harbaugh, hell, even Carroll, where they tend to get the most our of their talent and just seem to consistently execute play in and play out, Shanahan's teams have a tendency to get sloppy and have things snowball on them. Momentum is a real thing, and it swung in a huge way in this one - particularly at the start of the second half, when we were really right in it despite not deserving to be. This team has got to show that it can stop the bleeding and rebound when things aren't going great.

Now, they were able to do that against Philly after a couple tough drives, against the Hawks, but it seems like once they fall behind by double-digits, it can get dicey really quickly on both sides of the ball.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#410 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:11 pm

Despite the offense being Jekyll and Hyde in the first half, it was only a small deficit and they got the ball back. I thought the play-calling left a ton to be desired. They kept trying to force it 15-20 yards over the middle and it seemed (without looking at film) like the Ravens were very well prepared for such an attack. They abandoned the running game way too quick (which eliminates the play-action). As uneven and poor as Brock's play was, the play-calling was pretty poor. Then once the Ravens scored twice in the third, Shanahan tried to quell the rush with some designed bubble-screens when he should've been doing that in the first half.

I wonder if it is arrogance from him to think that "my gameplan will always work." Whatever it is, that was most assuredly a major wakeup call heading into the playoffs. Priority #1 should be devising and focusing on executing 2-min hurry-up offense for adverse situations.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#411 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:21 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Despite the offense being Jekyll and Hyde in the first half, it was only a small deficit and they got the ball back. I thought the play-calling left a ton to be desired. They kept trying to force it 15-20 yards over the middle and it seemed (without looking at film) like the Ravens were very well prepared for such an attack. They abandoned the running game way too quick (which eliminates the play-action). As uneven and poor as Brock's play was, the play-calling was pretty poor. Then once the Ravens scored twice in the third, Shanahan tried to quell the rush with some designed bubble-screens when he should've been doing that in the first half.

I wonder if it is arrogance from him to think that "my gameplan will always work." Whatever it is, that was most assuredly a major wakeup call heading into the playoffs. Priority #1 should be devising and focusing on executing 2-min hurry-up offense for adverse situations.

The Ravens started blitzing after the first couple of drives when Purdy was hitting Kittle on some intermediate crosses.

They couldn't cover if Purdy had time, so they decided to speed him up and the 49ers had no good answers. It wouldn't have been as catastrophic if they didn't get deflections. But they did a good job of making him uncomfortable instead of getting into his usual good rhythm.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#412 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:35 pm

wco81 wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Despite the offense being Jekyll and Hyde in the first half, it was only a small deficit and they got the ball back. I thought the play-calling left a ton to be desired. They kept trying to force it 15-20 yards over the middle and it seemed (without looking at film) like the Ravens were very well prepared for such an attack. They abandoned the running game way too quick (which eliminates the play-action). As uneven and poor as Brock's play was, the play-calling was pretty poor. Then once the Ravens scored twice in the third, Shanahan tried to quell the rush with some designed bubble-screens when he should've been doing that in the first half.

The Ravens started blitzing after the first couple of drives when Purdy was hitting Kittle on some intermediate crosses.

They couldn't cover if Purdy had time, so they decided to speed him up and the 49ers had no good answers. It wouldn't have been as catastrophic if they didn't get deflections. But they did a good job of making him uncomfortable instead of getting into his usual good rhythm.

Yeah, but he's usually so good against the blitz. The Ravens are known for disguising their coverages and blitz packages, so maybe they were confusing him.

The good news is that Shanahan and, seemingly, Purdy seem to do better after seeing a team once. So hopefully we'll be better prepared if we meet in the SB. And, of course, we won't have to go through them to get there. Right now, it feels like we've got some real work to do in order to get there ourselves. At least the Eagles and Cowboys are both flailing a bit, and I don't think Detroit can go on the road and win against a decent opponent. Rams might be the scariest NFC opponent right now...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#413 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:53 pm

Yeah Rams are playing as well as any other NFC team. They played much better vs. the Ravens than the 49ers did obviously. I don't know if Kupp is playing quite as well as he did in their SB year but they also have Nacua, who's having a great rookie season.

I don't know about the Lions DL but their OL can potentially stone the 49ers DL and they have a lot of playmakers on offense. If they get the right matchup against the nickel DB, not to mention Laporta.

And I don't count out the Cowboys or Eagles, both have lines that can disrupt games and slow down the 49ers DL just enough.

What the Ravens did wasn't even that exotic, they blitzed corners, either from the slot or the outside, to make Purdy go to a hot read right away and they relied on their ability to stop the ballcarrier, prevent RAC like the 49ers have feasted on this year.

Other teams are going to do that, try to bring fast pressure from a DB from the outside or the B gaps and make Purdy decide right away instead of going through his progression and waiting for the intermediate in cuts to Aiyuk and others.

I don't recall the 49ers trying too many bubble screens last night. But the Ravens blitzers were great at making it difficult for Purdy to get the ball out to the edge right away.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#414 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah Rams are playing as well as any other NFC team. They played much better vs. the Ravens than the 49ers did obviously. I don't know if Kupp is playing quite as well as he did in their SB year but they also have Nacua, who's having a great rookie season.

I don't know about the Lions DL but their OL can potentially stone the 49ers DL and they have a lot of playmakers on offense. If they get the right matchup against the nickel DB, not to mention Laporta.

And I don't count out the Cowboys or Eagles, both have lines that can disrupt games and slow down the 49ers DL just enough.

What the Ravens did wasn't even that exotic, they blitzed corners, either from the slot or the outside, to make Purdy go to a hot read right away and they relied on their ability to stop the ballcarrier, prevent RAC like the 49ers have feasted on this year.

Other teams are going to do that, try to bring fast pressure from a DB from the outside or the B gaps and make Purdy decide right away instead of going through his progression and waiting for the intermediate in cuts to Aiyuk and others.

I don't recall the 49ers trying too many bubble screens last night. But the Ravens blitzers were great at making it difficult for Purdy to get the ball out to the edge right away.

Definitely not taking any of our potential opponents lightly. Especially if we're not the #1 seed. This team is really good, but last night demonstrated that they certainly aren't unbeatable.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#415 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:08 pm

Seems like the Rams might be in the same situation the 49ers were in 2021/22. Win final game to get in (or lock in 6th spot). At least it's at home.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#416 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:48 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Seems like the Rams might be in the same situation the 49ers were in 2021/22. Win final game to get in (or lock in 6th spot). At least it's at home.

They play the Giants next week. If they win, I think there's a fair chance they could clinch their playoff spot, though they could get into a crazy tie-breaker scenario if they lose either of the next two, I guess. I'm not sure how the tie-breaking procedure shakes out. Right now, they're 67% likely to make the playoffs, which suggests they own tie-breakers.

Regardless, even if they're just playing spoiler, I expect them to show up for the Niner game.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#417 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:43 pm

Yeah, the Rams will play tough. Can't bring a C+ game or else we lose.

Return to San Francisco 49ers