Week 16: Ravens @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Week 16: Ravens @ 49ers 

Post#1 » by thesack12 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:55 pm

Merry Christmas Niner Nation!

Both teams are 11-3. Current #1 AFC seed traveling to face the current #1 NFC team.

Armstead, Jennings, Mitchell, Dwelley, Burks, Womack all out.

Womack being out is surprising, which will weaken an already shaky special teams unit.

Hargrave was questionable, but is active tonight

Jason Verrett has been temporarily promoted from the practice squad for tonight's game. I'm quite happy for him, that guy has been through an insane amount of devastating injuries, but he keeps fighting to come back and live his dream. Good for you JV.

Willie Snead with a full time promotion to the active roster. Jennings being out tonight certainly played a factor in that, but it could also signify that Ray Ray might not be particularly close to returning from IR.

Missing Armstead and Burks is not a great situation to be in considering how run heavy Baltimore's offense is. Especially considering how bad the defense struggles against the ground game last week against the Cards. Hopefully Kinlaw can step in again and provide a boost.

I mentioned in another thread early in the week, that missing Jennings could low-key be a big factor in this game. With Ray Ray already on IR, without Jennings the 49ers really only have 2 reliable WR's. We might be looking at Bell getting a lot of meaningful snaps on offense, which is scary. Hopefully either Conley or Snead can make a + impact tonight.

Also in regards to Jennings being out, he's an excellent downfield blocker. He's sealed defenders on a lot of the 49ers explosive plays this season. "3rd and Jauan" will also be missed tonight, in a game that seems like its going to be tight and the offense will need some clutch catches to move the chains tonight.

Go get this W, to maintain control over their own destiny to get that #1 seed.
thesack12
RealGM

Re: Week 16: Ravens @ 49ers 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:45 am

Next week feels like it could be a trap game.

Short week, Cross country trip to the East coast, Early kickoff time, Washington team with nothing to play for other than to play a spoiler role, they just benched their season long starting QB now have a decent veteran option stepping in which could be a spark for them, 9ers likely put a lot pyschologically and emotionally into this weeks games against another elite team which could be a recipe for a letdown and taking the Commies too lightly next week.

One week at a time of course, got to play tonight's big game first, but I gotta admit I'm a little concerned with the equation going into next week's game. Which just makes getting a win tonight all the more important.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#3 » by Jikkle » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:53 am

thesack12 wrote:Next week feels like it could be a trap game.

Short week, Cross country trip to the East coast, Early kickoff time, Washington team with nothing to play for other than to play a spoiler role, they just benched their season long starting QB now have a decent veteran option stepping in which could be a spark for them, 9ers likely put a lot pyschologically and emotionally into this weeks games against another elite team which could be a recipe for a letdown and taking the Commies too lightly next week.

One week at a time of course, got to play tonight's big game first, but I gotta admit I'm a little concerned with the equation going into next week's game. Which just makes getting a win tonight all the more important.

Because the #1 seed is on the line I think we'll avoid the trap win or lose tonight's game.

If we win tonight they know all they have to do is beat the Commanders and they can let off the gas so to speak until playoff time and if they lose they know they have to win out to be sure to have the #1 seed.

So either way I expect the team to be focused next week and if they aren't that's a red flag to me.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#4 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:54 am

Of course the refs won't let the Eagles lose
thesack12
RealGM

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:04 am

Jikkle wrote:

Because the #1 seed is on the line I think we'll avoid the trap win or lose tonight's game.

If we win tonight they know all they have to do is beat the Commanders and they can let off the gas so to speak until playoff time and if they lose they know they have to win out to be sure to have the #1 seed.

So either way I expect the team to be focused next week and if they aren't that's a red flag to me.

You are probably right. I'm just concerned because this era of 49ers do have a tendency to take bad teams for granted and expect to win just because they put their uniforms on.

But as you said gunning for that #1 seed is HUGE motivator.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,255

Post#6 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:07 am

thesack12 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

You are probably right. I'm just concerned because this era of 49ers do have a tendency to take bad teams for granted and expect to win just because they put their uniforms on.

Does Washington even want to win though? They could be looking at a top-3 pick in the draft.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:11 am

Catchall wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Does Washington even want to win though? They could be looking at a top-3 pick in the draft.

I don't think tanking is really much of a thing in the NFL. At least not nearly as much as it is in the NBA.

Players don't want to put bad film on tape, Coaches are always looking to keep their jobs and/or eyeing their next job.

As for Washington specifically, with a new owner now in place, its a highly possible the current front office won't be making that draft picks anyways. I think its pretty safe to say that Rivera won't be around for it either.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#8 » by Dodub » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:16 am

Potential Super Bowl preview
thesack12
RealGM

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:17 am

Bad tackling and bad special teams coverage already on display
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#10 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:17 am

Special teams is gonna be the end of this team
Dodub
General Manager

Post#11 » by Dodub » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:18 am

Warner with a great opening play
thesack12
RealGM

Post#12 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:18 am

Nice play by Ambry to break that up
Dodub
General Manager

Post#13 » by Dodub » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:18 am

There you go Ambry!
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#14 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:19 am

Great D
thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:19 am

3 & Out, yess

Great start by the D, keep it boys
Dodub
General Manager

Post#16 » by Dodub » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:19 am

Heck of a start
thesack12
RealGM

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:20 am

Not gonna get anything positive from punt returns tonight. just gotta hope for no - impact in that facet
thesack12
RealGM

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:21 am

Juice got hit early
Dodub
General Manager

Post#19 » by Dodub » Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:21 am

That was dangerous