ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 17: 49ers @ Commanders

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: Week 17: 49ers @ Commanders 

Post#241 » by zman1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:13 pm

Treat next game like last pre season game, starters go for one quarter maybe.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#242 » by Bald Bull » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:13 pm

the moment 49ers learned philly lost
Read on Twitter
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#243 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:15 pm

Go Steelers, hoping Rams can rest next week too
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#244 » by Bald Bull » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:20 pm

Trent when he seen the cards score lmao He didn't expect it.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#245 » by zman1 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:25 pm

Bald Bull wrote:Trent when he seen the cards score lmao He didn't expect it.
Joy in niner land!

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#246 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:34 pm

zman1 wrote:Philly deserves 5th seed.

Blowing last minute leads to the Seahawks and the Cardinals is not a great way to end the season.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#247 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:04 pm

Right now I'd rather play PHI than DAL at home in 3 weeks so worked out good so far
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#248 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:02 am

This is such a strange week coming up. We know we get the 1 seed and a bye so next week doesn't matter but resting starters for almost 3 weeks of real game action probably isn't the smartest thing to do. But you risk a serious injury that could cost the whole season
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#249 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:28 am

arich35 wrote:This is such a strange week coming up. We know we get the 1 seed and a bye so next week doesn't matter but resting starters for almost 3 weeks of real game action probably isn't the smartest thing to do. But you risk a serious injury that could cost the whole season

It's one of those good problems to have but I'd still rather risk rust over risking injury. It's a vet team that's been in the playoffs a number of times so I'd trust them to be ready.

For starters, you have to look at your opponent who you could potentially see in the playoffs so there is no way you're going to pull out all the stops with your gameplan.

Also when you start looking at who you're almost certain not playing it starts to become a little pointless putting everyone out there.

Like on offense. You're for sure not playing CMC, Banks, and I doubt you'd play Williams. So do you want to see Purdy out there running a vanilla offense with backups on the left side especially since he's had to exit games twice recently?

Maybe you keep out a couple of key vets and banged-up guys and play the rest of the starters for a quarter or at most a half before you pull everybody.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#250 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:55 pm

Jikkle wrote:
arich35 wrote:This is such a strange week coming up. We know we get the 1 seed and a bye so next week doesn't matter but resting starters for almost 3 weeks of real game action probably isn't the smartest thing to do. But you risk a serious injury that could cost the whole season

It's one of those good problems to have but I'd still rather risk rust over risking injury. It's a vet team that's been in the playoffs a number of times so I'd trust them to be ready.

For starters, you have to look at your opponent who you could potentially see in the playoffs so there is no way you're going to pull out all the stops with your gameplan.

Also when you start looking at who you're almost certain not playing it starts to become a little pointless putting everyone out there.

Like on offense. You're for sure not playing CMC, Banks, and I doubt you'd play Williams. So do you want to see Purdy out there running a vanilla offense with backups on the left side especially since he's had to exit games twice recently?

Maybe you keep out a couple of key vets and banged-up guys and play the rest of the starters for a quarter or at most a half before you pull everybody.

Non injured Starters probably play a quarter or at the most a half.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#251 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 1, 2024 9:25 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Non injured Starters probably play a quarter or at the most a half.

Sounds good but not sure that is feasible. As Shanahan said when asked if he would be resting all the starters, he said it wasn't possible because there aren't that many players on the roster to do so.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#252 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 2, 2024 7:59 pm

Can't rest all the starters, particularly along the OL. But you want to avoid getting your stars hurt. I'd give the starters a few series and then start pulling the stars. No reason to have Kittle and Samuel banging into defenders in a meaningless game. And it's a good opportunity to get some seasoning for our younger players.

Return to San Francisco 49ers