Post#662 » by 49er4life1979 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:40 am

Why was Ryan in instead of Brown?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Re: Playoffs, Divisional Round: Packers @ 49ers 

Post#663 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:05 am

zman1 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Jennings deserves a shout out, he had a helluva game. Made several tough chain moving catches
100%. He is getting some nice YAC too.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Agree. Just much prefer him as our 3rd receiver instead of our #2 if Deebo is out.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#664 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:13 am

Conflicting game because you probably can only get away with playing like this once and get away with it. You're not winning the NFC Championship let alone the Super Bowl if you put out this performance again. On the other hand the thing you want to see from your team is when they do play like garbage 98% of the time the 2% of the time you do play well are in key moments that win you the game.

The defense played like crap most of the game but when they needed to rise to the occasion and mitigate the damage for the most part they did.

Same with the offense and when they needed a drive to get points to not let the game get out of hand they usually came up with them.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#665 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 am

Any late word on Deebo? If I had to bet, I’d take out because if it’s minor enough to heal in a week they probably try and get him out there today. (Unless they were also looking at the concussion protocol).
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#666 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:43 am

Here's a hot take from me on this game.

Looking back on the game while I don't think the defense was great I also don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be.

What I saw there were a handful of really bad plays at bad times which made it feel like the defense was awful.

Take out that 53-yarder from Jones he only has 55 yards on 17 carries which gives him an average of 3 yards a carry. That math carries over for the entire Packers rushing attack at 3 yards a carry if you take that one run off.

While we didn't get sacks we did get pressure and force the issue by making Love move off his spot quite often. It's not like we were allowing him to sit back and slice and dice us back there like Burrow and Cousins were able to do early in the year. I think Love deserves credit handling the pressure and making sure he didn't get sack and made some really nice throws.

They just really need to clean up the PI and if it rains make sure they have the right cleats on and not find out after they slip and give up huge plays.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#667 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 am

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/deebo-samuel-shoulder-injury-update-3/1693866/

Looks like some good Deebo news as on first glance it doesn't seem like his shoulder is as bad as what happened in Cleveland.

Not sure if that means he suits up and plays Sunday but looks like there is a chance and doesn't seem like a long term injury on first blush.

Having that extra day of rest might be a difference maker here.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#668 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:07 am

Feels weird as a 90s kid watching the 9ers get owned by the Cowboys in the first half of the 9ers and the Packers in the latter half of the 90s to own both those teams in the playoffs lately.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#669 » by zman1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:23 pm

Well, we got the W and that's a huge relief. No big surprises as our weaknesses were weak: Ambry, Brock in the rain, underperforming Dline, special teams. Our strengths came through with our receivers, linebackers, and CMC.

I hope that it's a big confidence boost for Brock to pull it together and lead us to a win. And thanks to Jordan Love for a bad 4th quarter.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#670 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:50 am

Lions it is
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#671 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Why was Ryan in instead of Brown?

According to Kyle, they felt that putting a very aggressive rookie into a playoff start without having been on the field in like a month was not fair to him, just too many obstacles to overcome. I am unsure if this means Ryan will be starting throughout the playoffs or not.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#672 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 am

Welp if SF can get past Detroit next week, they are going to get a super bowl rematch no matter who comes out of the AFC.

Rematch against Baltimore from 2013. However, John Harbaugh is only guy left from those 2013 teams.
Rematch against Kansas City from 2020. There is a a lot of overlap from those 2020 teams, so that would be more more of a legitimate "rematch"

Either way, if the 9ers can bring home the Lombardi they will attain some redemption and heal some old wounds.

But, first things first, gotta take care of Detroit next week before any of that "rematch" chatter becomes valid.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#673 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 am

Some interesting observations on the PFF grades against the Packers. Outside of Trent (83.5), Feliciano was our highest graded OL at 79.9. While there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about our OL overall, Feliciano has been a bright spot. The lack of holes for CMC in the run game (at least compared to what we've become accustomed to) isn't solely the fault of our OL. Juice's overall grade of 36.8 was the lowest of his career, largely driven by his career worst 34.0 run blocking grade. Even Kittle, who is usually a reliable people mover in the run game, had a career low 36.9 run blocking grade.

Ambry Thomas was our lowest graded player, which shouldn't surprise anyone who watched the game. I hope Wilks gives Womack a very close look in practice this week; can't see how he could be any worse than Thomas and he can also help on special teams (another unit that continues to leak oil fast). With no rain in the forecast for the Detroit game, Moody needs to get touchbacks on every kickoff since our special teams are anything but 'special'.

CMC's pass blocking grade of 81.0 was a season high, which likely explains why he was kept in to block more than I would have liked. I think CMC being guarded by a LB in the passing game is a mismatch that we should exploit more but not possible if our OL can't protect Purdy and we have to keep CMC and Kittle in for pass protection. Since Detroit had 2 of their 4 sacks today on safety blitzes, we may need to do more of the same next week, taking two of our top pass catching weapons off the table.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#674 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:35 am

I hope Wilks comes up with a better game plan for Detroit. The Lions have one of the best olines in the league and the 49ers dline has struggled to get pressure even against marginal teams. They can't just give Goff time all day
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#675 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:20 am

They also have some explosive weapons. Gibbs might be a young CMC, making big runs and receiving plays late in his rookie season.

St. Brown is a challenge for any CB.

Laporta doesn’t seem to have the same speed as before the injury but he may be healing.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#676 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:18 am

The defense's second-half performance was encouraging because they really only gave up two huge plays and nothing else. Take away that 41-yard PI on 3rd and 15 and that 53-yard run from Jones the Packers didn't move the ball much.

Those kind of things are more fixable than if we were just constantly getting gashed up and down the field sorta like the first half of the game but even in the first half they at least tighten up and kept them out of the end zone.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#677 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Still in question whether he will be available for Sunday or not, but this is certainly encouraging
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#678 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm

Can the 49ers beat the Lions without Deebo? Yes. Can they beat the Ravens or Chiefs without Deebo? No....but you have to get there first
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#679 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:32 pm

Really liked how the offense engineered that last 4th quarter drive. Plenty of time and nothing was forced downfield. Short to medium high percentage passes. They used up enough time that the offense was going to win or lose on that drive. I think there was less than one minute left. Reminds me of the big drives Bill Walsh engineered in the playoffs. During the 1988 Super Bowl the last drive were almost all short to mid range completions to Jerry Rice and Roger Craig who made yards after the catch. The 49ers ate up the clock and left Cincinnati little time to do something once they got the ball back. Still peeved about that bomb Jimmy G attempted to Emannual Sanders in the Super Bowl. Even if he caught it and scored, left too much time for Mahomes to respond.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#680 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Jikkle wrote:Here's a hot take from me on this game.

Looking back on the game while I don't think the defense was great I also don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be.

What I saw there were a handful of really bad plays at bad times which made it feel like the defense was awful.

Take out that 53-yarder from Jones he only has 55 yards on 17 carries which gives him an average of 3 yards a carry. That math carries over for the entire Packers rushing attack at 3 yards a carry if you take that one run off.

While we didn't get sacks we did get pressure and force the issue by making Love move off his spot quite often. It's not like we were allowing him to sit back and slice and dice us back there like Burrow and Cousins were able to do early in the year. I think Love deserves credit handling the pressure and making sure he didn't get sack and made some really nice throws.

They just really need to clean up the PI and if it rains make sure they have the right cleats on and not find out after they slip and give up huge plays.

I would add the 49ers gave up over 100 yards rushing. On some of those outside runs there wasn't a 49er defender to be found. To many third and short opportunities making it much easier on Love to convert on third downs. One of the goals for the defense that game was to force Love into third and long situations. While that is always a goal it was more critical for Love.

Return to San Francisco 49ers