ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs, Conference Championship Round: Lions @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Re: Playoffs, Conference Championship Round: Lions @ 49ers 

Post#581 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 am

Right now this has to be the greatest win in Shanahan's coaching career.

The first half was a nightmare and to salvage a win out of it was just incredible.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#582 » by Dodub » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:06 am

I called Shanny out in the first half, I’ve been a supporter of his but I lost faith. He completely proved me wrong and shut my mouth. Now for the big game
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#583 » by Dodub » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:06 am

I called Shanny out in the first half, I’ve been a supporter of his but I lost faith. He completely proved me wrong and shut my mouth. Now for the big game
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#584 » by Bald Bull » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:07 am

We going to the superbowl!!!! :o :o :o :o :o
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#585 » by Bald Bull » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:09 am

Lamar choked when it mattered most, will his bad game wipe out his whole season like they did with Brock?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#586 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:13 am

Dodub wrote:I called Shanny out in the first half, I’ve been a supporter of his but I lost faith. He completely proved me wrong and shut my mouth. Now for the big game

Still got one monkey to get off his back....and its a big one
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#587 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:17 am

Bald Bull wrote:Lamar choked when it mattered most, will his bad game wipe out his whole season like they did with Brock?

No because the physical measureables, skillset, pedigree, and general perception of Lamar is vastly different than Brock Purdy's profile.

That said, Lamar certainly contributed to the Ravens loss today. That decision to throw into the teeth of triple coverage blanketing the receiver in the end zone, was horrifically bad. That pass had 0% chance to get completed, and was predictably intercepted.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#588 » by Bald Bull » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:19 am

i noticed they kept cutting to shots for ford field while lions had the lead, didn't show them once when niners came back
J8Ball
Junior
And1: 248

Post#589 » by J8Ball » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:48 am

Lions dumb coach Flintstone gambling twice on 4th down is the only reason 9ers won today. Lions outplayed them otherwise

Sent from my SM-N986W using RealGM mobile app
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#590 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:04 am

Wilks might be the worst first half DC but best 2nd half DC I've seen.

We routinely look bad on defense in the 1st half but play a heck of a lot better in the 2nd halves of games.

Kinda of a weird flip from Saleh and Ryans where I thought they called games better in the 1st half than the 2nd half never seeming to make the correct adjustments.

However, I would like to see some film study on this one to see how much was scheme and how much was on the players not getting it done. Off hand I thought we had a handful of plays where guys just weren't plugging the gaps like we were supposed to. But I do think the scheme was an issue because I don't know why we didn't have an extra man up front to stuff the run when they clearly were going to run the ball and keep running it if it was successful.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#591 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 pm

Bald Bull wrote:i noticed they kept cutting to shots for ford field while lions had the lead, didn't show them once when niners came back

I said the same thing. I guess the network didn’t want to be dub as rubbing it in / having bad sportsmanship.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#592 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:41 pm

So happy for Trent Williams, first Super Bowl
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#593 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:50 pm

Still can't believe that just happened last night. Was with a couple of friends who are 49er fans at a local 49er fan club chapter bar. We all went berserk in that second half. But in the middle of the comeback I looked at my friends (I think it was after the Lions fumbled) and sarcastically asked "are sports really fixed?" since the 49ers were about as dominant as ever in that third quarter and the Lions looked helpless.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#594 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Wild, wild game. Not gonna lie, I was pretty despondent at half time. Didn't think they could come back from that. And admittedly, it took a fair bit of luck and some really poor play by the Lions at times. But these dudes stepped up and put it away in resounding fashion (wish we hadn't made it quite so interesting at the end....). Hats off to them.

This team has shown that they can play through adversity after all. Maybe Kyle was onto something early in the year after all. But wouldn't mind them not having to dig themselves out of a huge, largely self-inflicted hole in two weeks. They've got to figure out their run fits. Our outside contain has been appalling for two weeks now, and you'd better believe KC has noticed. They allowed 14 points before Goff completed a pass more than five yards downfield. It should have been clear going into the game that stopping the run was the priority. They (mostly) cleaned it up in the second half, so let's hope that's a positive sign of things to come. But the first half was as bad as I've seen in terms of defending the run.

OL wasn't stellar in this one, but they did just enough, and Brock made plays with his feet when they weren't there with his arm. Interested to see some breakdowns to see if Brock just wasn't seeing open guys, or if people truly were covered. Like the D, the offense and Brock in particular have seemed a little jumpy to start the last two games. Got to start this one locked in and play to win.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,527

Post#595 » by Mk0 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:39 pm

I love this channel so much. Papa's audio over the highlights
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#596 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:46 pm

This is pretty remarkable. Until Brock did it last night, apparently no QB in the last 30 years has, in a single half (regular or post-season), completed 80% of passes, thrown for 150+ yards, rushed for 45+ yards, averaged 10+ YPC, and had no turnovers. Obviously if you make a big enough list, you can find a way to dramatically narrow any field. But these are pretty mundane things. Only the yards per carry is even slightly arbitrary. And he did it in the NFCCG en route to tying the biggest comeback in the history of that game. Not bad.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#597 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:29 am

Man, interior OL all scored in the 50s in pass-block grade. Those dudes need to step up or Chris Jones is going to eat our lunch again.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#598 » by zman1 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:This is pretty remarkable. Until Brock did it last night, apparently no QB in the last 30 years has, in a single half (regular or post-season), completed 80% of passes, thrown for 150+ yards, rushed for 45+ yards, averaged 10+ YPC, and had no turnovers. Obviously if you make a big enough list, you can find a way to dramatically narrow any field. But these are pretty mundane things. Only the yards per carry is even slightly arbitrary. And he did it in the NFCCG en route to tying the biggest comeback in the history of that game. Not bad.
Incredibly impressive. The young man is just a gamer.

We got so so SO lucky with him. Nfl radio guys were talking about a failed pick like Trey Lance can set a franchise back for 5 or 10 years and instead Purdy has us in a Super bowl. What a great story . And why isn't he in the running for comeback of the year after getting his throwing arm ruined?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#599 » by arich35 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:06 am

When Thomas went out Logan Ryan became the slot corner and actually did pretty well in his limited snaps. I wouldn't be mad if they went that way for the Super Bowl
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#600 » by Jikkle » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:38 am

On defense it's kinda what I thought in that it was a mixture of our scheme, Lion's scheme, and guys on defense not attacking the correct gaps. Seemed like later in the game the scheme got better and the players executed better.

Like I said before this game I think the defense is capable of being more effective against the run but it's execution hasn't been as sharp as it has in years past especially these last two games. Wilks can call a better game for sure but some of these big runs weren't the call but guys not doing what they are supposed to do.

Offensively you got your answer as to why the outside runs worked better in the 2nd half compared to the 1st as Kyle made the proper adjustments at halftime to get it to work.

Return to San Francisco 49ers