ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs, Conference Championship Round: Lions @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Playoffs, Conference Championship Round: Lions @ 49ers 

Post#1 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:51 pm

Its time to punch a ticket to the Super Bowl!!!

Forecast: Low 70's, 0% chance of rain, Winds 0-5 MPH... So unlike last week, ideal weather.

SF is 7.5 point favorites at home to a feisty Lions team that is riding high and playing well.

9ers have the advantage of an extra day of rest coming off a Saturday game while Detroit is coming off a Sunday game.

Again, a very short injury list for SF:
Burks is questionable
They opened the practice window for Kalia Davis, but he was not activated from IR

Willie Snead and Curtis Robinson are the practice squad elevations. Both could wind up being inactive. Robinson may be activated if Burks gets ruled out.

Deebo was completely cleared after a limited practice on Thursday and full go on Friday. He seemingly won't have any limitations, which is an amazing development.

Again like last week, the defense will be going up against a very good offensive line. OL is definitely a strength for Detroit, and they are about equally as good with run blocking as pass protection. That said they are banged up, G Jonah Jackson is out and C Ragnow s nursing a few different ailments. Jared Goff is about as immobile of a QB as there is in today's NFL, so if you can get to him he's not shown much ability to escape the pocket to extend plays or do damage on the run. DL needs to actually make an impact in this game. The have been more or less MIA for awhile now. Lions have a very solid tag team at RB in Gibbs and Montgomery. The biggest matchup concern overall is Detroit's run offense is #6 in EPA while SF's run defense is #26. Lions have been a different team (for the worse) on the road and on grass this season. They will be playing in both those siutations today.

Detroit's defense is solid against the run but struggle in the passing game. Their CB's are very vulnerable in coverage. Their starting CB's are a 140 and 122 passer rating. They have allowed a receiver to attain at least 6+ catches/140+ yards/TD in each of their last 5 games. They are especially suscpetible to giving up plays on deep passes, which is an area that Brock Purdy ranks and rates out as the #1 QB.

There isn't really much use in getting into too much depth about special teams. Its pretty simple, we know they aren't going to be a + factor in the game, but the 49ers unit has got to play and execute better. They absolutely need to find a way to provide as close to neutral impact as possible.

Lets get it!!!
thesack12
RealGM

Re: Playoffs, Conference Championship Round: Lions @ 49ers 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter

A complete different player on the road. Gotta hope that continues today
thesack12
RealGM

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter

This is an exploitable matchup for SF

Read on Twitter

Sacks don't tell the whole story and maybe not the best metric, but this is pretty disappointing and telling of the pass rush overall. On the pass rush as a whole, I'm kind of sick f talking about how disappointing the DL has been in that regard. They are allowing QB's to get way to comfortable and forcing the coverage to hold for too long. The DL has an insane amount of resources invested into it, and the results are just unacceptable. They are consistently being neutralized and outplayed by opposing teams' O-lines.

Today specifically, is really a time when the DL needs to step up and bring consistent pressure. Not just because its a huge game, which is reason enough, but Jared Goff has the tendency to get rattled and play poorly if you can consistently put heat on him. He's also not a guy that is a threat to break the pocket and extend plays or run. If the DL can get some push and penetration on their OL, they can control the game.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#4 » by zman1 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Yup, time for our highly paid DL to dominate. I kinda think they will with an immobile QB.

I have a good feeling about this game and I think we win fairly easily. The rain was a huge factor last week and we are dry this week. We almost blew an excellent superbowl chance just by having the wrong cleats!.

Reading reporters out of Detroit, they might be overconfident. They dismiss the outdoor factor, think our run defense is weak, and their running backs are all world. The biggest mismatch looks like our deep passing game against their corners: we are best and they are about worst.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#5 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:47 pm

Our run defense must do better to stop Detroit's running game. Goff is not only immobile but loves throwing over the middle of the field. If we can take advantage of Detroit's injuries in the interior of their line and put pressure right up the middle in Goff's face, he tends to struggle. And Purdy needs to show the accuracy and elite decision-making from earlier in the season; no wet ball excuses today. Aiyuk and Deebo can take advantage of Detroit's secondary if Brock gets a clean pocket. Detroit has a great run defense that can hold CMC in check, but that shouldn't prevent us from utilizing CMC as a receiving threat out of the backfield.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#6 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:30 pm

Oren Burks is out which is going to hurt our base defense against the run.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:58 pm

arich35 wrote:Oren Burks is out which is going to hurt our base defense against the run.

Ugh
thesack12
RealGM

Post#8 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:00 pm

The Deebo/CJGJ matchup should be interesting.

For those that aren't aware, a couple months back Johnson called Deebo a "little boy" and labeled him a running back.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:31 pm

Another factor to keep in mind, is Dan Campbell is basically the opposite of Kyle Shanahan. DC never stops being aggressive and loves to gamble.

Fake punt, fake field goal, surprise onside kick, going for 2 at any point in the game, going for it on 4th down in an unconventional situation, dialing up zero blitzes multiple times, etc will all be on the table today.

Hopefully the coaching staff has prepared for such things this week. 9ers are going to have to stay on their toes and be hyper aware that any of those situations could happen at any point. Got to stay alert and be ready to compete on every play.

For example, can't exhale and let up after a 3rd down stop. Can't just go through the motions expecting a touchback on a kickoff, etc, etc.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#10 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Do we still have to participate in special teams play?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#11 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:47 pm

I feel the defense is capable of being great it's just they maddeningly slip up in execution too much. It's like they'll play great 2 out of 3 downs and the one down they don't is what keeps the opposing offense's drive alive. If they can clean up their execution I think they'll be just fine out there today.

As far as the offense goes they just need to be on their toes with the various blitzs and stunts they'll see and able to pick them up and guys ready to be hot.

I feel like it should be a 10-point 9ers win something like 34-24 but this team usually doesn't do what I think it'll do so it's anyone's guess. We have blowout wins when I think it'll be close and we'll lose games I think we'll win.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#12 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:48 pm

Apparently Burks was testing his shoulder while in pads about 15/20 min ago so he might end up going
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#13 » by Pattersonca65 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:12 pm

Jikkle wrote:I feel the defense is capable of being great it's just they maddeningly slip up in execution too much. It's like they'll play great 2 out of 3 downs and the one down they don't is what keeps the opposing offense's drive alive. If they can clean up their execution I think they'll be just fine out there today.

As far as the offense goes they just need to be on their toes with the various blitzs and stunts they'll see and able to pick them up and guys ready to be hot.

I feel like it should be a 10-point 9ers win something like 34-24 but this team usually doesn't do what I think it'll do so it's anyone's guess. We have blowout wins when I think it'll be close and we'll lose games I think we'll win.

Watching the Ravens defense they are making the plays when they have to or this game would be over
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#14 » by zman1 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:21 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:I feel the defense is capable of being great it's just they maddeningly slip up in execution too much. It's like they'll play great 2 out of 3 downs and the one down they don't is what keeps the opposing offense's drive alive. If they can clean up their execution I think they'll be just fine out there today.

Watching the Ravens defense they are making the plays when they have to or this game would be over
Lamar better step up. Should have been intercepted last drive.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,255

Post#15 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:21 pm

I think this should be a clean win for the Niners if Purdy plays with enough composure to attack the Lions' defense. Niners need to play with relatively few mistakes.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
thesack12
RealGM

Post#16 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:22 pm

The defense is certainly capable of being great, but they aren't going to do it on talent alone.

The pass rush has got bring the heat to Goff early and often. The pass rush routinely falls well short of acceptable, despite an immense amount of resources invested into it.

They have to be able to get off the field. Not forcing a single punt until the 4th quarter isn't going to cut it. They need to stop struggling in 3rd and long situations, which also reflects on the lackluster pass rush.

They need to stiffen up in the run game. DL has to set the edges better and the 2nd and 3rd levels have to be on point with their tackling.

Oh and Ambry Thomas should not step foot on the field.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Despite it not looking good earlier today, Oren Burks is indeed active. That should help the run defense.

Inactive list: Ronnie Bell, Willie Snead, Jalen Graham, Matt Pryor, Samuel Womack, Curtis Robinson.

As with last week, I'm not sure why Womack is inactive. Especially with the struggles in special teams coverage last week, coupled with Ambry Thomas' terrible game. I guess they like Luter better, and he's passed Womack on the depth chart and trust level.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#18 » by Pattersonca65 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:27 pm

thesack12 wrote:

The defense is certainly capable of being great, but they aren't going to do it on talent alone.

The pass rush has got bring the heat to Goff early and often. The pass rush routinely falls well short of acceptable, despite an immense amount of resources invested into it.

They have to be able to get off the field. Not forcing a single punt until the 4th quarter isn't going to cut it. They need to stop struggling in 3rd and long situations, which also reflects on the lackluster pass rush.

They need to stiffen up in the run game. DL has to set the edges better and the 2nd and 3rd levels have to be on point with their tackling.

The amount the 49ers invested in the Dline is what males it so frustrating
thesack12
RealGM

Post#19 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:31 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

The amount the 49ers invested in the Dline is what males it so frustrating

For sure.

Many premium draft picks and 3 separate top of the market caliber contracts
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#20 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:40 pm

Watching this AFC Championship game I feel the 9ers need a clean convincing win against the Lions.

Both the Chiefs and Raven's defenses have been amazing and if we struggle to beat the Lions who have a way worse defense and a worse QB than it doesn't give me much confidence in whoever we play in the Super Bowl.

Return to San Francisco 49ers