ImageImageImageImageImage

Super Bowl 58: 49ers vs Chiefs

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: Super Bowl 58: 49ers vs Chiefs 

Post#641 » by zman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:22 pm

So close, so close again and we couldn't quite stick the dagger in. As CMC said we beat ourselves. Credit to their defense too though. I think they had deebo and ba mostly blanketed and kittle likely mostly blocking and they still got a lot of pressure.

That punt rule needs to be changed. Stupid to make it a turnover on a fluke touching.

Sent from my SM-X610 using Tapatalk
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#642 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:I can't stop thinking about being up by 3 with 1:53 to go....Then up by 3 in overtime.

The overtime one is absolutely crushing. Literally the only thing the defense couldn't do was allow a TD. Any other outcome to that possession and either the 49ers are Super Bowl champions, or the offense gets the ball back in a sudden death situation with a chance to end the game with any score.

This one is going to take awhile to heal from.
After sleeping on it, there were obviously a ton of things we could've done better. But in a defensive slugfest like that the two 3rd downs, one before regulation and one in OT, were masive misses. To not have plays to quell the blitz that EVERYONE knew Spagnolo was going to bring is unconscionable. Why not get a play with Purdy in a bootleg or in motion? Brock was really good when he needed to be, i think kyle let him and the Oline down in those two spots.

If they convert that 3rd down after the 2 minute warning they salt the game way and either get a TD or FG leaving Chiefs with little or no time.

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#643 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:53 pm

arich35 wrote:The thought of people rather be a rebuilding team being irrelevant to being a top team in the league with a shot every year is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Also the whole fire Kyle crowd is crazy to me as well, he is considered a top 5 coach in the league. I am not sure who else you think we are going to get that is going to bring us to the promise land.

They’re not going to fire him but I worry more about another extension.

I don’t think he will ever get over the hump.

So as long as he’s in charge, 49ers have gotten close but not a threat to win. They’ve hit their ceiling already.

Give him another extension, to 2031 and that’s at least another 7 years of the team never winning another SB.

We’ve seen it before, they dominate the first quarter and it’s only 3-0. Then 3 straight possessions in the third quarter of 3 and outs. Play calling and game management just aren’t good enough and he’s set in his ways.

49ers may never find a HC good enough for at least another generation. But what is certain is that Kyle isn’t taking the team to a title. Maybe agonizingly close again but the “offensive genius” gets bested consistently in the big games.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,837

Post#644 » by SK21209 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:19 pm

The idea that Kyle is good enough to rack up 12+ win seasons, win multiple playoff games, and get to the Super Bowl, but when he's up double digits in a Super Bowl or an NFC championship game something inside him kicks in such that he's incapable of winning those games, is completely nonsensical. It's just stupid.

The real problem is that he's run into two of the three greatest QBs of all time in the biggest moments of his career. We have an extremely talented roster, but its evident that we have less margin for error than the Chiefs or even teams like the Bengals and Bills because we don't have the super human QB that can make up for other mistakes. The Chiefs have a defense good enough to keep them in any game and the most talented QB in the history of the sport to close games out for them.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#645 » by zman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:28 pm

How often do we hear that, he'll never get over the hump? Peyton will never get over the hump, Elway, LeBron etc, etc. I know those are players and not coaches but you get the point.

Their defense just outplayed us at critical points. That second down pass to kittle just about the two minute warning would normally be an easy 5 yards and a game clinching first down, but their pressure and coverage were great. Did Kyle cause that punt to bounce off Luters ankle? Or CMC to cough it up? We had 2 fumbles and lost both, they had 5 and lost one.

The biggest thing I see the niners need to do is to draft better in the early rounds. Kyle is fine. Most fans would give their eye teeth to have our success. Tough to be so close again for sure.

wco81
RealGM

Post#646 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:40 pm

SK21209 wrote:The idea that Kyle is good enough to rack up 12+ win seasons, win multiple playoff games, and get to the Super Bowl, but when he's up double digits in a Super Bowl or an NFC championship game something inside him kicks in such that he's incapable of winning those games, is completely nonsensical. It's just stupid.

The real problem is that he's run into two of the three greatest QBs of all time in the biggest moments of his career. We have an extremely talented roster, but its evident that we have less margin for error than the Chiefs or even teams like the Bengals and Bills because we don't have the super human QB that can make up for other mistakes. The Chiefs have a defense good enough to keep them in any game and the most talented QB in the history of the sport to close games out for them.

Marv Levy got to the SB 4 times. So getting there doesn’t mean squat.

In the first SF-KC SB, they controlled Mahomes until the 4th quarter. In this game, they contained Mahomes in the first half.

They squandered chances to build a big lead in both games.

Game management and play calling weren’t good enough but player personnel problems came back to haunt them. Since that 2020 SB, Chiefs have had much better drafts.

Any honest fan knew, despite the midseason hype about the best roster, that there were glaring problems in the OL and secondary. We saw in games like Cincinnati this season or when KC came into Levi’s last season and dominated.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#647 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:45 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This was the likely outcome, but just brutal.

We should consider Dre Greenlaw questionable at best for the 2024 season.

At least a 6 months recovery. He should reach out to Aaron Rodgers and inquire how he's recovering so quickly.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#648 » by Samurai » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:46 pm

zman1 wrote:How often do we hear that, he'll never get over the hump? Peyton will never get over the hump, Elway, LeBron etc, etc. I know those are players and not coaches but you get the point.

Their defense just outplayed us at critical points. That second down pass to kittle just about the two minute warning would normally be an easy 5 yards and a game clinching first down, but their pressure and coverage were great. Did Kyle cause that punt to bounce off Luters ankle? Or CMC to cough it up? We had 2 fumbles and lost both, they had 5 and lost one.

The biggest thing I see the niners need to do is to draft better in the early rounds. Kyle is fine. Most fans would give their eye teeth to have our success. Tough to be so close again for sure.

Kyle was a big part in why we even got to this game to even have this debate. And I don't blame Kyle for kicking the XP so low that it was blocked despite little penetration or the muffed punt. And it isn't Kyle's fault that Greenlaw got hurt (Kelce was a non-factor up to that point). But let's be honest in that this game didn't show Kyle at his best. Play-calling was very questionable (forgetting CMC was on the team for the 3rd quarter, not recognizing that KC blitzes more than anyone else). On several critical 3rd downs, KC blitzed and sent a free rusher at Purdy to blow up our play. As the play caller, Kyle needed to anticipate that and have a play called to counter their blitz and we didn't have that.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#649 » by zman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:02 pm

Samurai wrote:
zman1 wrote:How often do we hear that, he'll never get over the hump? Peyton will never get over the hump, Elway, LeBron etc, etc. I know those are players and not coaches but you get the point.

Kyle was a big part in why we even got to this game to even have this debate. And I don't blame Kyle for kicking the XP so low that it was blocked despite little penetration or the muffed punt. And it isn't Kyle's fault that Greenlaw got hurt (Kelce was a non-factor up to that point). But let's be honest in that this game didn't show Kyle at his best. Play-calling was very questionable (forgetting CMC was on the team for the 3rd quarter, not recognizing that KC blitzes more than anyone else). On several critical 3rd downs, KC blitzed and sent a free rusher at Purdy to blow up our play. As the play caller, Kyle needed to anticipate that and have a play called to counter their blitz and we didn't have that.
I get your point about the play calling. But on our last 3rd down my impression seeing Purdy's reaction was that Juan was supposed to adjust to the blitz by maybe running a fade and he didn't. But again, give their D a lot of credit. We didn't have 6 passes and two 3 and outs to start the 3rd quarter because our receivers and qb are no good. Normally we would have gotten a chunk play or two from deebo or aiyuk.

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#650 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:10 pm

wco81 wrote:
arich35 wrote:The thought of people rather be a rebuilding team being irrelevant to being a top team in the league with a shot every year is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Also the whole fire Kyle crowd is crazy to me as well, he is considered a top 5 coach in the league. I am not sure who else you think we are going to get that is going to bring us to the promise land.

They’re not going to fire him but I worry more about another extension.

I don’t think he will ever get over the hump.

So as long as he’s in charge, 49ers have gotten close but not a threat to win. They’ve hit their ceiling already.

Give him another extension, to 2031 and that’s at least another 7 years of the team never winning another SB.

We’ve seen it before, they dominate the first quarter and it’s only 3-0. Then 3 straight possessions in the third quarter of 3 and outs. Play calling and game management just aren’t good enough and he’s set in his ways.

49ers may never find a HC good enough for at least another generation. But what is certain is that Kyle isn’t taking the team to a title. Maybe agonizingly close again but the “offensive genius” gets bested consistently in the big games.

This statement is straight up nonsense.

Not even accounting for everything you have to accomplish to even get to the Super Bowl, the 49ers had the lead with under 2 minutes left, then took the lead again in Overtime.

Calling them a "non threat to win" is based on pure emotion and/or outright bias against Kyle. It literally has no basis in reality.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#651 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:16 pm

wco81 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:The idea that Kyle is good enough to rack up 12+ win seasons, win multiple playoff games, and get to the Super Bowl, but when he's up double digits in a Super Bowl or an NFC championship game something inside him kicks in such that he's incapable of winning those games, is completely nonsensical. It's just stupid.

In the first SF-KC SB, they controlled Mahomes until the 4th quarter. In this game, they contained Mahomes in the first half.

Game management and play calling weren’t good enough but player personnel problems came back to haunt them. Since that 2020 SB, Chiefs have had much better drafts.

Any honest fan knew, despite the midseason hype about the best roster, that there were glaring problems in the OL and secondary. We saw in games like Cincinnati this season or when KC came into Levi’s last season and dominated.

Tell that to Jets fans, Lions fans, Cardinals fans, Vikings fans, Browns fans, Dolphins fans, The last 30 years of Cowboys fans, Jaguars fans, Texans fans, Titans fans, Raiders fans, Chargers fans, Panthers fans, Falcons fans.

Tell them how annual deep playoff runs "don't mean squat."

I swear man some of y'all think the 49ers are entitled to automatically make the conference championship game.
wco81
RealGM

Post#652 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:19 pm

The leads mean nothing. As long as Kyle is in charge, the team won’t win it all.

In fact, with the looming salary cap situation and the relatively good health they had this season, they may not get another shot.

What he’s shown is that he can’t learn. In the clutch, he can’t deliver. Two 3rd downs in the red zone, everyone knew the blitz was coming both times and they don’t come close to converting because the play calls are poor.
wco81
RealGM

Post#653 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:24 pm

thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Tell that to Jets fans, Lions fans, Cardinals fans, Vikings fans, Browns fans, Dolphins fans, The last 30 years of Cowboys fans, Jaguars fans, Texans fans, Titans fans, Raiders fans, Chargers fans, Panthers fans, Falcons fans.

I swear man some of y'all think the 49ers are entitled to automatically make the conference championship game.

If you’re satisfied with coming close to winning rings, not actually winning rings, then you give Shanahan another extension, and another one after that. He will be here for over 20 years.

But he had leads!

OK moral victories FTW! :banghead: :roll:
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,837

Post#654 » by SK21209 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:51 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

If you’re satisfied with coming close to winning rings, not actually winning rings, then you give Shanahan another extension, and another one after that. He will be here for over 20 years.

But he had leads!

This isn't the NBA man. In the NFL you don't get to just sign KD due to a salary cap fluke and guarantee yourself 5 straight Finals. It takes luck to make it there once even if you're the best team in the league. Brady is the GOAT and it took a bunch of fluky **** in the 2014, 2016 and 2018 playoff runs for him to win any rings after 2004.

What exactly would you do? Get rid of Shanahan and hire whom? Belichik, who will be 72, demand control of roster decisions and hasn't fielded a competent offense in 5 years? Maybe Vrabel, who also blew a double-digit lead in the biggest game of his coaching career to the Chiefs? Give some coordinator a shot and hope he can someday win as many games as Kyle already has? What's the plan.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#655 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:58 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

But he had leads!

Yup leads, even ones extremely late in games, mean nothing. And with SF "not being a threat to win, I don't know why they even played the game. Would have saved everybody a lot of time and drama if they just gave KC the trophy before kickoff.

Who said anything about being satisfied? We're all crushed, some of us are just using some context and realize how hard it is to win in the NFL. You don't even have to believe me, just look at the list if Super Bowl champs, its a pretty exclusive club.

You aren't allowing your mind to expand beyond the confines of the 49ers. There are 31 other teams, and at least half of those start every season with no shot of being a legit contender. Its easy to pick apart our team because we obviously pay most of our attention to them, but to truly evaluate them fairly you have to factor in the leaguewide landscape.

Btw, classifying making the super bowl as a "moral victory" is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#656 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:01 pm

SK21209 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

But he had leads!

This isn't the NBA man. In the NFL you don't get to just sign KD due to a salary cap fluke and guarantee yourself 5 straight Finals. It takes luck to make it there once even if you're the best team in the league. Brady is the GOAT and it took a bunch of fluky **** in the 2014, 2016 and 2018 playoff runs for him to win any rings after 2004.

What exactly would you do? Get rid of Shanahan and hire whom? Belichik, who will be 72, demand control of roster decisions and hasn't fielded a competent offense in 5 years? Maybe Vrabel, who also blew a double-digit lead in the biggest game of his coaching career to the Chiefs? Give some coordinator a shot and hope he can someday win as many games as Kyle already has? What's the plan.

Yup, Thats the problem, and I made mention of it earlier today. None of these folks calling for Kyle's head ever mention who a better option would be.

They just stamp their feet and say they want a change.

Grass aint always greener folks.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#657 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:11 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

But he had leads!

Come on dude, who do you want? Who is going to magically come in, change pretty much everything and win us a Super Bowl?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#658 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:28 pm

If they give Purdy one extra second, it's an easy TD to BA....sigh
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#659 » by Samurai » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:30 pm

zman1 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I get your point about the play calling. But on our last 3rd down my impression seeing Purdy's reaction was that Juan was supposed to adjust to the blitz by maybe running a fade and he didn't. But again, give their D a lot of credit. We didn't have 6 passes and two 3 and outs to start the 3rd quarter because our receivers and qb are no good. Normally we would have gotten a chunk play or two from deebo or aiyuk.

Looking at a replay of our last 3rd down, it looks like Jennings got open (Shanahan said Jennings "killed" the defender) but McKivitz decided to let Chris Jones rush unimpeded as he inexplicably left him to go block the DE, who was already being blocked. So McKivitz ends up blocking NOBODY while Jones gets a free rush at Purdy, forcing him to throw too early. Purdy played well enough but there were just too many unblocked rushers in critical situations. Shanahan needs to call the plays that give Purdy and our playmakers a chance to win the game; his play calling didn't do that in too many critical downs.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#660 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:53 pm

Samurai wrote:
zman1 wrote:
Samurai wrote:Kyle was a big part in why we even got to this game to even have this debate. And I don't blame Kyle for kicking the XP so low that it was blocked despite little penetration or the muffed punt. And it isn't Kyle's fault that Greenlaw got hurt (Kelce was a non-factor up to that point). But let's be honest in that this game didn't show Kyle at his best. Play-calling was very questionable (forgetting CMC was on the team for the 3rd quarter, not recognizing that KC blitzes more than anyone else). On several critical 3rd downs, KC blitzed and sent a free rusher at Purdy to blow up our play. As the play caller, Kyle needed to anticipate that and have a play called to counter their blitz and we didn't have that.

Looking at a replay of our last 3rd down, it looks like Jennings got open (Shanahan said Jennings "killed" the defender) but McKivitz decided to let Chris Jones rush unimpeded as he inexplicably left him to go block the DE, who was already being blocked. So McKivitz ends up blocking NOBODY while Jones gets a free rush at Purdy, forcing him to throw too early. Purdy played well enough but there were just too many unblocked rushers in critical situations. Shanahan needs to call the plays that give Purdy and our playmakers a chance to win the game; his play calling didn't do that in too many critical downs.

It’s still kinda on coaching, but I felt execution on the OL was much more an issue than design. How many plays had Romo salivating except an OL got blown up or two OL’s blocked the same guy leaving a free runner, etc. It’s ironic that our initial momentum was killed by back to back holding calls on the best OT in football and holding was then almost never called for the rest of the game. If they ‘let them play’ for 4 quarters instead of 3.5, we’re probably up 10 or 14. And, as trite and unsatisfying as it feels, we were mostly burned by terrible luck. Bizzaro cascade of injuries to key players, balls grazing heels, a defender’s exhaustion inadvertently blowing up a huge play, Moody missing an XP, etc.

Now of course I have been among the loudest in decrying our arrogance re: the draft and OL, but this game wasn’t as much about not having healthy bodies who aren’t killing you, we didn’t really see the kind of play we would expect much better than from a 3rd or 4th round rookie OL, but that was an issue in earlier games. This game they were just overmatched by really good veteran defenders, a good defensive game plan/adjustments and the weirdness with pass pro calls on blitzing most of us saw coming. Whether that was overthinking or under thinking or what I’d have to hear from the Niners and I am avoiding all that at the moment, feel like I need a football hibernation. I still don’t know what happened between 2nd and 6 at the 30-something and Chiefs celebrating because of a troll level timing on a wifi cut out. Most frustrating experience of my entire sports fandom, the whole way this ended, for me and the game.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to San Francisco 49ers