Super Bowl 58: 49ers vs Chiefs

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: Super Bowl 58: 49ers vs Chiefs 

Post#621 » by zman1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:23 am

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:2013: Down by 5 with 2:39 left, but set up 1st & goal at the 7 yard line.

2020: Up by 10 with 8:33 left

2024: Up by 3 with 1:53 left, then up by 3 in overtime

Crushing devastation.

In this era of enforced parity due to the salary cap, all SBs are now close, usually 1-score games. I guess the fans like that.

The 49ers of the '80s and the early '90s blew out their opponents in the SB.

That and I think the officiating biases towards not allowing game to get out of control.

NFL is the richest league so they're going to get big TV ratings regardless of whether there's parity or a couple of dominant teams.

You can say smaller market teams like the Steelers engineered the cap to dismantle dynasties like the 49ers. Or the league decided to control salaries, which means under the cap, the stars who earn big money, they're cut or forced to restructure and there's heavier reliance on players on rookie contracts.

Does that result in better football? Well it results in closer games.
Those things, and defenses have taken away the deep pass.

Sent from my SM-X610 using Tapatalk
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#622 » by Big J » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:24 am

Dodub wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Not only that, but we need a new coach and a system that allows for drop back passing. This isn’t 1998

Don't feed this troll

I don’t know him, but I’m serious that we need a reboot.

I would rather be a bad rebuilding team than what we are now

I just don’t get why we can’t get a qb with elite traits. Think of how good Kyle’s system would look being run by a Josh Allen type. Limited guys like Jimmy & Purdy just don’t have enough to take the team to the finish line.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,264

Post#623 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:27 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:How does Chris Jones go up the middle unblocked

I mean the weak OL is one of the things which some of us suspected would put a ceiling on this team below championship. Both guards were being pushed back into Purdy's face a couple of times. One I saw Trent pushed and knocked on his butt so maybe his decline is starting.

The team has invested a ton of money on the DL instead and the DL isn't dominating like it did in 2020 or even last year when Bosa had DPOY performance.

Next season or the one after, some of those big salary guys will either have to restructure or be off the team. I don't know how many snaps Kinlaw had today but he's out of his rookie deal. Young probably won't be back either. The cap numbers for Hargrave are insane.

So they're going to probably have to draft DL again rather than shore up holes in the roster.
Jax_23
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#624 » by Jax_23 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:42 am

#FireShanahan

You're not that guy pal, you're not that guy.

Don't wanna here the media say anything about "mastermind" again. He hasn't won anything. He's a choke-artist. -0-3 in super bowls. Should've never trailed to the lowly Packers and Lions. Underachieved. This team was stacked af. Pro-bowlers everywhere. They need a coach that has grit and doesn't get lost in the moment.
Jax_23
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#625 » by Jax_23 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:51 am

Shanahan is the definition of "Almost". He just doesn't step up in big moments and gets flustered. Andy Reid does. Saw this with Jimmy G, saw that when it mattered most in this year. He doesn't install confidence in the team, and his playcalling reflects that.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#626 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:55 am

Read on Twitter

This was the likely outcome, but just brutal.

We should consider Dre Greenlaw questionable at best for the 2024 season.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#627 » by Big J » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:55 am

Shanahan is fine. He’s never had an elite qb to work with. Can’t judge him for losses with Jimmy & Purdy. The fact that he got those guys to SBs is pretty damn impressive.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#628 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:57 am

The thought of people rather be a rebuilding team being irrelevant to being a top team in the league with a shot every year is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Also the whole fire Kyle crowd is crazy to me as well, he is considered a top 5 coach in the league. I am not sure who else you think we are going to get that is going to bring us to the promise land.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#629 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:05 am

Big J wrote:Shanahan is fine. He’s never had an elite qb to work with. Can’t judge him for losses with Jimmy & Purdy. The fact that he got those guys to SBs is pretty damn impressive.

What is impressive is how dumb you are
arich35
General Manager

Post#630 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 am

Read on Twitter

I mean, what are we doing? They give Purdy just 2 seconds he finds Aiyuk wide open in the end zone or Jennings on the out for a first down possibly TD
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 458

Post#631 » by Swift21 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:42 am

49ers will never get over the hump with Kyle.

Not running the football on 3rd and 4 at the 2 minute mark in the 4th quarter was just another one of his many brain farts with clock management. Worst case scenario you get stopped short but you atleast make KC burn one of their final 2 timeouts. Best case scenario CMC picks up the first down or makes it fourth down and short.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#632 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:00 pm

I don't think some folks realize how good that Chiefs defense is.

2nd lowest points per game allowed
3rd lowest pass yards per attempt
8th lowest completion % allowed
#1 in the NFL in sack %
#2 in pressure %
10th lowest 3rd down conversion rate

Where the Chiefs were vulnerable was in the running game, where they allowed the 9th most yards per carry at 4.5 a clip. However, last night they bottled up the run quite effectively allowing only 110 yards on 31 carries (3.5 per.) SF's longest run of the night was only 11 yards.

The 49er offense sputtered in the 3rd quarter, but closed the game TD, FG, FG. Both of the FG drives would have been game winning drives if the Defense could muster a stop.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#633 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:19 pm

arich35 wrote:The thought of people rather be a rebuilding team being irrelevant to being a top team in the league with a shot every year is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Also the whole fire Kyle crowd is crazy to me as well, he is considered a top 5 coach in the league. I am not sure who else you think we are going to get that is going to bring us to the promise land.

I get the emotion and frustration, I really do. We are all experiencing that right now.

That said, I'll never understand the fire Kyle crowd.

Since 2019, Outside of the historically bad run of injuries in 2020, the 49ers have been to 2 Super Bowls and 2 NFCCG's. Which equates to making the final 4 in 4/5 seasons. In one of those NFCCG's the 9ers weren't even capable of making a forward pass for like 50% of the game, after losing QB1 like 7 minutes into the game.

Because the 49ers have been so good the last 5 years, I think some folks lose grip on just how hard it is to win in the NFL. Making annual deep playoff runs aren't mundane accomplishments nor are they forgone conclusions.

On top of all this, the 49ers have remained a legit contender despite MASSIVE turnover among the coaching staff. No team in the league has endured the amount of turnover that SF has. And if you don't think coaching continuity is important just look at the Eagles this season.

Of course Kyle has flaws, and he gets quite upsetting at times. Still, he's a high end coach in this league.

Also, as you alluded to as well, there is one thing people calling for Kyle's head always leave out. They never include a name that would be a better option.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#634 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:28 pm

I can't stop thinking about being up by 3 with 1:53 to go....Then up by 3 in overtime.

The overtime one is absolutely crushing. Literally the only thing the defense couldn't do was allow a TD. Any other outcome to that possession and either the 49ers are Super Bowl champions, or the offense gets the ball back in a sudden death situation with a chance to end the game with any score.

This one is going to take awhile to heal from.
arich35
General Manager

Post#635 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:45 pm

thesack12 wrote:I can't stop thinking about being up by 3 with 1:53 to go....Then up by 3 in overtime.

The overtime one is absolutely crushing. Literally the only thing the defense couldn't do was allow a TD. Any other outcome to that possession and either the 49ers are Super Bowl champions, or the offense gets the ball back in a sudden death situation with a chance to end the game with any score.

Everyone knew Mahomes was going to respond both times, honestly I am surprised Reid didn't go for the TD in regulation with 6 seconds left and a timeout.

I think not getting that last first down in regulation is the biggest thing. If we got that, we run the clock down to under 30 seconds and kick a FG. Kyle not having a blitz beating play for both 3rd downs was crucial.
arich35
General Manager

Post#636 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:55 pm

Punt hitting Luter in the leg and McCloud not falling on the ball plus Greenlaw injury are just two of the unluckiest things that changed the game.
Greenlaw being out really helped Kelce get going in the 2nd half.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#637 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:39 pm

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I can't stop thinking about being up by 3 with 1:53 to go....Then up by 3 in overtime.

Everyone knew Mahomes was going to respond both times, honestly I am surprised Reid didn't go for the TD in regulation with 6 seconds left and a timeout.

I think not getting that last first down in regulation is the biggest thing. If we got that, we run the clock down to under 30 seconds and kick a FG. Kyle not having a blitz beating play for both 3rd downs was crucial.

I hear you.

Its just crushing loss.

Outside of a pick/fumble 6 while trying to drain the clock, a hell mary or some other similar fluky thing, I can't think of a more devastating way to lose a Super Bowl than a walkoff while holding the lead.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#638 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:I don't think some folks realize how good that Chiefs defense is.

2nd lowest points per game allowed
3rd lowest pass yards per attempt
8th lowest completion % allowed
#1 in the NFL in sack %
#2 in pressure %
10th lowest 3rd down conversion rate

Where the Chiefs were vulnerable was in the running game, where they allowed the 9th most yards per carry at 4.5 a clip. However, last night they bottled up the run quite effectively allowing only 110 yards on 31 carries (3.5 per.) SF's longest run of the night was only 11 yards.

The 49er offense sputtered in the 3rd quarter, but closed the game TD, FG, FG. Both of the FG drives would have been game winning drives if the Defense could muster a stop.

To add further context to how good the KC defense is.

This is their playoff performances:

Allowed 7 points to Miami (2nd best offense in the NFL)
Allowed 24 points to Buffalo (6th best offense in the NFL)
Allowed 10 points to Baltimore (4th best offense in the NFL)
Allowed 22 points to San Francisco (3rd best offense in the NFL)

The Chiefs defense is LEGIT elite, yet somehow they flew under the radar.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,507

Post#639 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:05 pm

This hurts so much
Read on Twitter
?t=ZkuTFRClgHdKyeR8NZ-YUA&s=19
RedTillImDead
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#640 » by RedTillImDead » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:14 pm

arich35 wrote:

That's on Kyle. It was what 2d and 5 and you have the best skill player in the NFL, the best LT in the NFL, the best blocking TE in the NFL and the best FB in the NFL, and you throw the ball twice. Moody should have been kicking as time expired.

Return to San Francisco 49ers