2024 Off-Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

2024 Off-Season 

Post#1 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:53 pm

Greenlaw will be out some of the year at least

Just announced Klint Kubiak is gone for the Saints OC spot, more coach turnover.

List of upcoming free agents: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Would love to keep Jennings, Burks, Young, Feliciano (depth), and Ferrell if we can get a team friendly deal with him coming off injury
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 pm

The 49ers have never been the type to give early extensions especially under the current regime. So while Aiyuk is a huge priority, I don't think his long term situation will get resolved until 2025 offseason.

Even with him being a restricted FA, I think Jennings is gone. In which case he will be missed, as a lot of what he does and provides doesn't show up in box scores. He also has a penchant to make some seriously clutch catches.

As far as DL goes, as crazy as it sounds I think I'm going dumpster diving. Well dumpster diving is probably too strong of a label, but I would be quite hesitant to dump more resources into the DL. They already have so much invested in that group, and continue to pour more and more resources into it every year, yet it never really seems to pay off in a big way. It also seems like they get better results out of the less heralded under the radar type of pickups. I trust Kocurek to coach up the under the radar guys.

Feliciano might have priced himself out of SF's market. Coming off a very good year, he's likely looking for one last payday here in the latter part of his career.

I wouldn't hate it if Darnold returned as the backup. But I also wouldn't be mad if they looked into cheaper options. I also wouldn't be shocked if they traded a late round pick for Mac Jones. No that I would like the move, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did such a thing.

I'd be ok if Ray Ray came back if his number is pretty close to what it was. And if he doesn't return, it won't be a huge loss.

Chase Young can leave, I'm not interested in giving him a contract.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:14 pm

As for things not related to free agency:

He's on a clear decline, and outside of possibly Miami and Houston there will basically be no market for a 33 year old fullback. So I'm calling Juice into the office and telling him, we'd love to have you back but you will need to take a sizable pay cut to stay with the team. He will carry a 7.5 mil cap figure in '24 and '25, but only has 2.5 mil left guaranteed. So I'm giving him an offer that looks something like 2 years/$4 mil. If he balks at that, it will be time to look elsewhere.

Haven't really thought about the draft much yet, but every OL position/WR/LB/CB/DE all immediately come to mind as needs. Free Safety is also a need unless either Hufanga or Brown can make the full time switch from SS.
arich35
General Manager

Post#4 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 pm

thesack12 wrote:As for things not related to free agency:

He's on a clear decline, and outside of possibly Miami and Houston there will basically be no market for a 33 year old fullback. So I'm calling Juice into the office and telling him, we'd love to have you back but you will need to take a sizable pay cut to stay with the team. He will carry a 7.5 mil cap figure in '24 and '25, but only has 2.5 mil left guaranteed. So I'm giving him an offer that looks something like 2 years/$4 mil. If he balks at that, it will be time to look elsewhere.

Haven't really thought about the draft much yet, but every OL position/WR/LB/CB/DE all immediately come to mind as needs. Free Safety is also a need unless either Hufanga or Brown can make the full time switch from SS.

I think they will restructure Juice if possible. He is such a big part of the offense in ways you don't see, can't lose him and Jennings IMO.

I believe they drafted Brown in thoughts of him being the started next year so you would have Huf and Brown as your safeties, I could see Gipson coming back on a small contract if he doesn't have other offers out there.

I hate to say it but it wouldn't shock me if we draft a DL with our first round pick. I hope there is an OL around then that can take over at RT next year but I also know Kyle doesn't like banking on rookies having a huge impact. Whatever we do, we need to upgrade at least 2 spots on the OL, either C, RG, or RT IMO. I can live with Banks at LG, he took a step back this year but getting closer to a new contract and another off-season I think he can go in the right direction
arich35
General Manager

Post#5 » by arich35 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:11 am

Read on Twitter

Feel like we can make something work with Jennings.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#6 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:28 am

thesack12 wrote:The 49ers have never been the type to give early extensions especially under the current regime. So while Aiyuk is a huge priority, I don't think his long term situation will get resolved until 2025 offseason.

Even with him being a restricted FA, I think Jennings is gone. In which case he will be missed, as a lot of what he does and provides doesn't show up in box scores. He also has a penchant to make some seriously clutch catches.

As far as DL goes, as crazy as it sounds I think I'm going dumpster diving. Well dumpster diving is probably too strong of a label, but I would be quite hesitant to dump more resources into the DL. They already have so much invested in that group, and continue to pour more and more resources into it every year, yet it never really seems to pay off in a big way. It also seems like they get better results out of the less heralded under the radar type of pickups. I trust Kocurek to coach up the under the radar guys.

Feliciano might have priced himself out of SF's market. Coming off a very good year, he's likely looking for one last payday here in the latter part of his career.

I wouldn't hate it if Darnold returned as the backup. But I also wouldn't be mad if they looked into cheaper options. I also wouldn't be shocked if they traded a late round pick for Mac Jones. No that I would like the move, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did such a thing.

I'd be ok if Ray Ray came back if his number is pretty close to what it was. And if he doesn't return, it won't be a huge loss.

Chase Young can leave, I'm not interested in giving him a contract.

Great points. As for DL, it would he super nice if Drake Jackson did something consistently to win that job. But definitely a position of need opposite Bosa. DTs could use some youth. Both Armstead and Hargrave are 30 and Armstead has missed at least a dozen games last two seasons with that foot issue. OL obviously at C and RG. Too much pressure on Purdy up the middle. And nickel corner. Move Lenoir back outside.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:30 am

thesack12 wrote:As for things not related to free agency:

Yea Brown was drafted to replace Gipson and team with Hufanga.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#8 » by Dodub » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:44 pm

Will we get salary cap help if Trent retires? He was AWFUL down the stretch
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:12 pm

Dodub wrote:Will we get salary cap help if Trent retires? He was AWFUL down the stretch

He said before the Super Bowl he planned to play 2 more seasons at least. The bigger issue is the interior of the OL. If we can get a C, and RG or RT the line will be much better. I am ok with Banks at LG, he wasnt as good as he was last year, but did have some injuries this year. The biggest needs are C and one of the two spots on the right.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:50 pm

In addition to the OL and DE opposite Bosa, nickel corner is also a need. Move Lenoir back outside to his natural spot and get a solid nickel like we hade with Jimmie Ward or K'Waun Williams. Knowing the Niners though, they will always prioritize the DL. With Kinlaw a free agent and likely a goner, I can see them going after a DT in the draft as both Armstead and Hargrave are 30 and Armstead in particular has had lingering foot issues the last two seasons. Hargrave was solid with 7.5 sacks but didnt do much in the latter part of the season towards the very end, perhaps ran out of gas?
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:53 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:In addition to the OL and DE opposite Bosa, nickel corner is also a need. Move Lenoir back outside to his natural spot and get a solid nickel like we had with Jimmie Ward or K'Waun Williams. Knowing the Niners though, they will always prioritize the DL. With Kinlaw a free agent and likely a goner, I can see them going after a DT in the draft as both Armstead and Hargrave are 30 and Armstead in particular has had lingering foot issues the last two seasons. Hargrave was solid with 7.5 sacks but didnt do much in the latter part of the season towards the very end, perhaps ran out of gas?
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#12 » by Bald Bull » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:57 pm

arich35 wrote:Greenlaw will be out some of the year at least

Just announced Klint Kubiak is gone for the Saints OC spot, more coach turnover.

List of upcoming free agents: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Would love to keep Jennings, Burks, Young, Feliciano (depth), and Ferrell if we can get a team friendly deal with him coming off injury

I don't want Burks as anything but special teams, he is a massive liability if he's on the field. He's part of why Niners lost. Mahomes went 9 for 9 with a QB rating of 134 when picking on him. He keeps attacking the wrong holes on running plays and missing tackles as well. LB depth needs an upgrade. The drop off from Azeez was noticeable.

I wouldn't give Young the type of deal he might feel entitled to. He didn't finish pass rush plays anywhere near as much as i hoped, and he was a weakness for the run defense. He plays too soft IMO, I'd let him leave and take the comp pick if his price is too high.

I feel like draft needs are similar to last year, OL, EDGE, CB, LB, A speedy deep WR.

Doing nothing to address the O-line last year hurt us in the superbowl. Purdy's down games where largely due to O-line struggles as well, Cleveland and Baltimore where in his face all day. If niners keep their weapons and can give Purdy more time to pass, the window will stay open.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:00 pm

arich35 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Feel like we can make something work with Jennings.

Yeah, seems like a second-round tender would make sense, but it's a big pay bump, and we're pretty hard up against the cap. Wouldn't shock me if he walks.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#14 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:03 pm

OL (biggest), Nickel CB and DE are biggest priorities.

My reactionary take: What if there was a huge offer for Deebo?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:23 pm

Re: positions of need, OL is the most obvious. We could use one or two starters along the interior, and I'd like to add an OT to possibly take over at RT and groom for LT. I'd like to add another WR in the first three or four rounds, ideally a guy with some speed as Danny Gray is looking like a bust. Offense should be okay otherwise, though we may need a backup QB.

Seems like we have more needs on defense. We need another DE opposite Bosa and maybe two. Not sure we can put much hope in Drake Jackson at this point, and we're set to lose over 1,000 snaps at that position in Ferrell, Young, and Gregory. Maybe we try to hold onto Ferrell. Hopefully Beal can step up next year, but he's a role player. We will need a run-stopping DT. We're losing Kinlaw, who actually stepped up down the stretch. Armstead and Hargrave are still good players, but as said above, they're getting older and neither is a prototypical two-gap run-plugger. And we need more cornerbacks, as it always seems like we do. Lenoir is eligible for an extension this year, and we need to at least consider that though we could wait for next year. We need a true slot corner. We need depth. We're probably okay at safety, though we could use depth.

We're still going to be one of the more talented teams in the league, but our stars are aging and we have a lot of holes. We need a real influx of talent this offseason. Cannot blow picks, especially in the early rounds. First draft without Peters could be interesting....
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:55 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: positions of need, OL is the most obvious. We could use one or two starters along the interior, and I'd like to add an OT to possibly take over at RT and groom for LT. I'd like to add another WR in the first three or four rounds, ideally a guy with some speed as Danny Gray is looking like a bust. Offense should be okay otherwise, though we may need a backup QB.

Seems like we have more needs on defense. We need another DE opposite Bosa and maybe two. Not sure we can put much hope in Drake Jackson at this point, and we're set to lose over 1,000 snaps at that position in Ferrell, Young, and Gregory. Maybe we try to hold onto Ferrell. Hopefully Beal can step up next year, but he's a role player. We will need a run-stopping DT. We're losing Kinlaw, who actually stepped up down the stretch. Armstead and Hargrave are still good players, but as said above, they're getting older and neither is a prototypical two-gap run-plugger. And we need more cornerbacks, as it always seems like we do. Lenoir is eligible for an extension this year, and we need to at least consider that though we could wait for next year. We need a true slot corner. We need depth. We're probably okay at safety, though we could use depth.

We're still going to be one of the more talented teams in the league, but our stars are aging and we have a lot of holes. We need a real influx of talent this offseason. Cannot blow picks, especially in the early rounds. First draft without Peters could be interesting....

Definitely this upcoming draft is critical with us being up against the cap and especially with Purdy on his cheap rookie deal only one more season. Who could be some salary cap casualties? Armstead? He's missed a dozen games last two seasons and is 30 with a huge cap number. Juszczyk would be another one. 33 yo with a high cap #. Maybe extend Mooney Ward to lower his cap # - He's had an excellent season so maybe reward him and in the process help ourselves. Same with Kittle who has 2 years left on his deal. What about Deebo's contract? He makes way too much money despite not being a # 1 receiver and can be counted on to miss a few games every year. Any other cost saving moves?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#17 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:58 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: positions of need, OL is the most obvious. We could use one or two starters along the interior, and I'd like to add an OT to possibly take over at RT and groom for LT. I'd like to add another WR in the first three or four rounds, ideally a guy with some speed as Danny Gray is looking like a bust. Offense should be okay otherwise, though we may need a backup QB.

Definitely this upcoming draft is critical with us being up against the cap and especially with Purdy on his cheap rookie deal only one more season. Who could be some salary cap casualties? Armstead? He's missed a dozen games last two seasons and is 30 with a huge cap number. Juszczyk would be another one. 33 yo with a high cap #. Maybe extend Mooney Ward to lower his cap # - He's had an excellent season so maybe reward him and in the process help ourselves. Same with Kittle who has 2 years left on his deal. What about Deebo's contract? He makes way too much money despite not being a # 1 receiver and can be counted on to miss a few games every year. Any other cost saving moves?

Isn’t Purdy on the can’t renegotiate rookie scale for 2 more years?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#18 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Think the team would quietly shop Deebo in a trade?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,519

Post#19 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:11 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Think the team would quietly shop Deebo in a trade?

It’s a real challenge because he is amongst the most superfluous for our being functional but his combination with CMC, their multiplicity, is the key to what makes our offense great when it is. And he’s also a huge guy in the locker room, I don’t mean as a vocal leader or w/e but he’s kind of the team’s spirit animal or w/e.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:02 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

Isn’t Purdy on the can’t renegotiate rookie scale for 2 more years?

He will be eligible for an extension after 2024 - which would be his 3rd season.

Return to San Francisco 49ers