Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#301 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really interesting signing. As it's a one-year deal, I'm assuming it's not terribly expensive. Likely a prove-it deal for a guy trying to show he's a full-time starter. He's got a real shot to be on the field about 60+% of the time if he can win that outside job when Lenoir goes inside, and he was quite good last year in a fairly limited sample size. Seems like a fairly low-risk, high reward proposition.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#302 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 pm

He played over 500 defensive snaps for the Saints last year.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#303 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:36 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really interesting signing. As it's a one-year deal, I'm assuming it's not terribly expensive. Likely a prove-it deal for a guy trying to show he's a full-time starter. He's got a real shot to be on the field about 60+% of the time if he can win that outside job when Lenoir goes inside, and he was quite good last year in a fairly limited sample size. Seems like a fairly low-risk, high reward proposition.

He had a PFF score of 81 last season
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#304 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:No idea why Jimmy would take this deal, guess he gets to stay in LA and maybe play if Stafford gets hurt?

Read on Twitter

If Jimmy wants to stay in the NFL, I think his options are limited. Last season with the Raiders was a disaster. He looked like a capable if unremarkable starter his last season in SF. He looked nothing like that in Las Vegas and he got hurt again.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#305 » by Samurai » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:42 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
Read on Twitter

His PFF grade is just a shade behind Mooney Ward and better than our other CB's. Good size, length and physicality to press receivers and provide run support. Drawback is his 4.52 40 time makes him the slowest among Ward, Lenoir, Thomas, and Womack. But if he can play up to that PFF grade, he could definitely upgrade our secondary. Until proven otherwise, I'm happy with this signing. Anyone that can keep Ambry Thomas limited to just special teams will make me happy!
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#306 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:20 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:No idea why Jimmy would take this deal, guess he gets to stay in LA and maybe play if Stafford gets hurt?

Read on Twitter

If Jimmy wants to stay in the NFL, I think his options are limited. Last season with the Raiders was a disaster. He looked like a capable if unremarkable starter his last season in SF. He looked nothing like that in Las Vegas and he got hurt again.

So the Rams lose Aaron Donald to retirement but gain Jimmy G. I'll take that.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#307 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:46 am

Bears trade Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th. Wow. Talk about virtually no return. That's less than we got for Lance. Steelers are cleaning up on bargain bin quarterbacks. They could actually be pretty dangerous next year.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#308 » by Samurai » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:16 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Bears trade Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th. Wow. Talk about virtually no return. That's less than we got for Lance. Steelers are cleaning up on bargain bin quarterbacks. They could actually be pretty dangerous next year.

Great move for the Steelers. Let Fields learn from the vet for a year, clean up some mistakes, and see what Fields can do after that.

Separately, kinda wondering about re-signing Conley. He had a few good moments for us last year and he contributes on special teams, but he isn't a returner and if he's supposed to take Ray Ray's seat in the WR room, then we still need to find a punt/kick returner in the draft. Given our other needs on both sides of the ball, couldn't we find a WR in the draft who can give us what Conley does as well as being our kick returner?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#309 » by Jikkle » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:02 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Bears trade Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th. Wow. Talk about virtually no return. That's less than we got for Lance. Steelers are cleaning up on bargain bin quarterbacks. They could actually be pretty dangerous next year.

From what I understand it's a 2025 conditional pick that can turn into a 4th based on playing time.

It still shows the league doesn't think highly of him and I just don't think he'll ever be able to process well enough to be a top tier QB in the league.

His best path to success to me is being in an offense like the Ravens where QB runs are a heavy part of the offense and he can be that Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts kind of QB.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,517

Post#310 » by Harry Palmer » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 am

Would you guys agree that there seems to be an organizational shift in terms of recognizing the need for depth of serviceable depth and STs over a big name or two and trusting our coaches to rebuild disappointing or injury-question bargains?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#311 » by Jikkle » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 am

Harry Palmer wrote:Would you guys agree that there seems to be an organizational shift in terms of recognizing the need for depth of serviceable depth and STs over a big name or two and trusting our coaches to rebuild disappointing or injury-question bargains?

There is a shift but I don't see it as a philosophical one but one out of necessity.

The magic carpet ride of paying a QB at way below market value is just about run its course so they just can't afford any more big names when they want to resign Aiyuk who will make just about top of the WR market and Purdy who if he continues to play at a high level is going to make over 45 million a year average.

The 2nd thing is all our star players are returning sans Armstead who was debatable as being labeled a star. The team is heavy on top end talent what it needed was to raise the floor and get some guys that are consistent and durable along with a couple that do have some upside.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#312 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:52 pm

Jikkle wrote:

From what I understand it's a 2025 conditional pick that can turn into a 4th based on playing time.

It still shows the league doesn't think highly of him and I just don't think he'll ever be able to process well enough to be a top tier QB in the league.

His best path to success to me is being in an offense like the Ravens where QB runs are a heavy part of the offense and he can be that Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts kind of QB.

Yeah, it can become a fourth if he plays 51% of the snaps, I believe. Still, that's not a great return for at least a serviceable NFL quarterback who still has quite a bit of upside. He's probably never going to be anywhere close to elite at reading the field, pre-snap recognition, etc., but he also hasn't had stellar offensive coaching to date (defensive HC, two OCs including one in his first time in that role), so you've got to think there's upside there. Seems like a total steal for the Steelers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#313 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:09 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Would you guys agree that there seems to be an organizational shift in terms of recognizing the need for depth of serviceable depth and STs over a big name or two and trusting our coaches to rebuild disappointing or injury-question bargains?

There is a shift but I don't see it as a philosophical one but one out of necessity.

The magic carpet ride of paying a QB at way below market value is just about run its course so they just can't afford any more big names when they want to resign Aiyuk who will make just about top of the WR market and Purdy who if he continues to play at a high level is going to make over 45 million a year average.

The 2nd thing is all our star players are returning sans Armstead who was debatable as being labeled a star. The team is heavy on top end talent what it needed was to raise the floor and get some guys that are consistent and durable along with a couple that do have some upside.

I tend to agree. Other than adding the one impact guy they have the past couple years (well, would-be impact guys in the case of Hargrave last year, unfortunately...), the FA period has been pretty similar to their recent MO: add guys on reasonable contracts who shore up your most obvious holes so you go into the draft without a clear need.

They're being a bit more aggressive this year about addressing some of those holes, but as said, I think that's a practical adjustment. In past years, we might have had younger players stepping into some of those roles. We just don't have the depth any more. Once Armstead was gone, and , we basically only had Hargrave who could be relied upon to handle NFL starts. I still hope Kalia Davis can show something, but he sure hasn't to date. No one else on the roster even had NFL snaps. Similarly, it's pretty clear we can no longer rely on Drake Jackson (going into last season, that was the plan), and Beal barely played either. There literally weren't other players on the roster.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,508

Post#314 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm

No real impact this draft, but damn, losing a 5th next year

Read on Twitter
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#315 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm

I just read that the 49ers DID engage in trade talks with the Jaguars regarding Aiyuk - reportedly the 49ers wanted the Jags 17th overall pick and WR Zay Jones for Aiyuk. Jaguars thought price was too high. Daaamn.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#316 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

Wow, can't believe he got that much. Good for comp pick next year

Read on Twitter
Samurai
General Manager

Post#317 » by Samurai » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:No real impact this draft, but damn, losing a 5th next year

Read on Twitter

Sounds like someone in the Finance department should be seeking the unemployment line.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#318 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:No real impact this draft, but damn, losing a 5th next year

Read on Twitter

Ugh. Come on, guys. Can't have that. Unforced errors....
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#319 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Wow, can't believe he got that much. Good for comp pick next year

Read on Twitter

I'm not shocked. He's a solid player who still has tantalizing upside. Huge disappointment for his draft stock, but he can certainly be a productive player who plays 60% of snaps for a good team. I wouldn't have paid it, but glad someone out there would.

Should be a fourth- or fifth-round comp pick, depending on any more additions we have. As of now, only due two comp picks, I think. And now down a pick....
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#320 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:43 pm

This is a surprise after the Zach Wilson rumors
Read on Twitter

Return to San Francisco 49ers