2024 Off-Season

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#221 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:50 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:PFF not a big fan of our moves, especially Gross-Matos. That said, pretty strong argument he was playing out of position as the big DE in a 3-4. He should be a better fit as a base DE in a 4-3, and could surprise. Still, decent chunk of change for a guy who hasn't done much to date in his career. Tools seem to be there, though. Good size, great length, good jumps. Oddly, he didn't do any of the movement drills, though. Even the 40.

Thought our moves have been fine thus far none of the contracts so far are going to be an albatross and cause cap issues.

Floyd is the best pass rusher we've had opposite of Bosa since Ford and he's proven to be durable and consistent. It's the two things we've desperately needed for a while now at the spot.

Gross is an overpay but given his age and potential it could end up as ultimately a good contract. He might be one of those types that teams are higher on than fans because teams study the film and probably feel like he can be better in their system then the one he was in. He could end up being our next Arden Key and if he busts again it's not like it's a devasting cap hit or anything.

Yeah, the Gross-Matos thing reminds me a bit of Ebukam a few years ago. I figured that was a one-year deal, but he stuck for two and played well. I think Gross-Matos could bring a bit more as a pass-rusher. Still more than I expected we would sink into the DE spot, and if it comes at the expense of Aiyuk it's a problem IMO.

Incidentally, I may have been wrong about Gross-Matos. He may have been in the OLB role. Regardless, seems like he'd be a more natural fit at 4-3 DE.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#222 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 pm

Big J wrote:Wouldn’t mind seeing what Kyle could mold Zach Wilson into.

One of Kyle's right-hand-men in Mike LaFleur couldn't do anything with Wilson for two years. And LaFleur was great in an OC role in his first year with the Rams this year, so it's not like he's just a guy who can't coach on his own. Not sure why we would expect a significant jump from Wilson. If he gets cut, I'd kick the tires, but that dude has some issues on the mental side of things that may not be fixable.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#223 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:09 pm

Incidentally, seems like maybe we should have made LaFleur an OC on our team and taken some of the responsibilities off Kyle. Feels like Kyle does too much, and although he's been really good overall, it doesn't feel like he's crushing all his roles.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#224 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:21 pm

George Odum coming back on a two-year deal. Good STs player, not a good safety. Hopefully it's at or near league minimum.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#225 » by Samurai » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:George Odum coming back on a two-year deal. Good STs player, not a good safety. Hopefully it's at or near league minimum.

Sounds like a 2 year extension for a max of $10.8M; the extension saves us $80K in cap space. He was a first-team All Pro in 2020 and second-team All Pro in 2022 so I'd consider him closer to an elite STs player rather than just "good". We just need better players around him to fix our ST problems, but Odum is a stud ST player.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#226 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:George Odum coming back on a two-year deal. Good STs player, not a good safety. Hopefully it's at or near league minimum.

Sounds like a 2 year extension for a max of $10.8M; the extension saves us $80K in cap space. He was a first-team All Pro in 2020 and second-team All Pro in 2022 so I'd consider him closer to an elite STs player rather than just "good". We just need better players around him to fix our ST problems, but Odum is a stud ST player.

Yes, he's a very good STs player. He's dealt with some injuries lately, which results in a bit of a downgrade, but he's still excellent when he's on the field so far as I'm aware. I certainly meant no disrespect when calling him "good."
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#227 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:46 pm

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:Team needs another QB now. One that can actually compete with Purdy.

All you talk about is QB. You hate Purdy, move on.

It is all he talks about here. He loves raw talent that goes nowhere and wanted the 49ers to sign Fields. If the 49ers signed fields we would never hear the end of it all next season.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,460

Post#228 » by Big J » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Incidentally, seems like maybe we should have made LaFleur an OC on our team and taken some of the responsibilities off Kyle. Feels like Kyle does too much, and although he's been really good overall, it doesn't feel like he's crushing all his roles.

No one can run Kyle's system as well as he does though. He always crushes it on offense. Team just needs good DC & Special Teams coaches so that Kyle doesn't have to worry about that stuff.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#229 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:53 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:PFF not a big fan of our moves, especially Gross-Matos. That said, pretty strong argument he was playing out of position as the big DE in a 3-4. He should be a better fit as a base DE in a 4-3, and could surprise. Still, decent chunk of change for a guy who hasn't done much to date in his career. Tools seem to be there, though. Good size, great length, good jumps. Oddly, he didn't do any of the movement drills, though. Even the 40.

Thought our moves have been fine thus far none of the contracts so far are going to be an albatross and cause cap issues.

Floyd is the best pass rusher we've had opposite of Bosa since Ford and he's proven to be durable and consistent. It's the two things we've desperately needed for a while now at the spot.

Gross is an overpay but given his age and potential it could end up as ultimately a good contract. He might be one of those types that teams are higher on than fans because teams study the film and probably feel like he can be better in their system then the one he was in. He could end up being our next Arden Key and if he busts again it's not like it's a devasting cap hit or anything.

Yeah, the Gross-Matos thing reminds me a bit of Ebukam a few years ago. I figured that was a one-year deal, but he stuck for two and played well. I think Gross-Matos could bring a bit more as a pass-rusher. Still more than I expected we would sink into the DE spot, and if it comes at the expense of Aiyuk it's a problem IMO.

Incidentally, I may have been wrong about Gross-Matos. He may have been in the OLB role. Regardless, seems like he'd be a more natural fit at 4-3 DE.

That is what he is know for 4-3 end
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,520

Post#230 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#231 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:17 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Incidentally, seems like maybe we should have made LaFleur an OC on our team and taken some of the responsibilities off Kyle. Feels like Kyle does too much, and although he's been really good overall, it doesn't feel like he's crushing all his roles.

No one can run Kyle's system as well as he does though. He always crushes it on offense. Team just needs good DC & Special Teams coaches so that Kyle doesn't have to worry about that stuff.

He did not on 3rd and 5 coming out of the two-minute warning in the SB. That was one of the worst play calls I've seen from him.

I still want Kyle mostly in control of the offense, but I wouldn't mind some more folks willing to disagree with him in the room. Ultimately, whatever we might have offered LaFleur was not likely to satisfy a guy like that, who has ambitions of being a legit coordinator and maybe HC. Still, hate to see guys like that go when our HC is pretty clearly stretched too thin.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#232 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:42 pm

DT depth? PFF was not good last season
Read on Twitter
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#233 » by Samurai » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:16 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:DT depth? PFF was not good last season
Read on Twitter

Without knowing more about him, this one is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. As you noted, his PFF score is pretty bad. Scouting report on him seemed to be that he was not very impactful as a pass rusher but also not known as a run-stopper. Some have speculated that he essentially replaces Kinlaw. Since Kinlaw was often seen getting pushed backwards, not sure spending $10M for that specialty is the best use of our cap space. I'm assuming Kris Kocurek saw something more positive in Elliott, I just don't know what that is.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#234 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:33 pm

Samurai wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:DT depth? PFF was not good last season
Read on Twitter

Without knowing more about him, this one is a bit of a head-scratcher to me. As you noted, his PFF score is pretty bad. Scouting report on him seemed to be that he was not very impactful as a pass rusher but also not known as a run-stopper. Some have speculated that he essentially replaces Kinlaw. Since Kinlaw was often seen getting pushed backwards, not sure spending $10M for that specialty is the best use of our cap space. I'm assuming Kris Kocurek saw something more positive in Elliott, I just don't know what that is.
I would guess Kinlaw isn't getting 5M for one year
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#235 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:38 pm

Despite his bad rap, Kinlaw really improved toward the end of the year, and was one of our better DL against the run late in the season and in the playoffs. Not sure what his contract will look like, as he's had injuries and some attitude questions, but I think it will be for more than this.

Seems to me like this is the sort of depth piece you can add later on the cheap, but the team likes to have at least passable players at every spot before entering the draft, so we had to do something at DT.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#236 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:14 pm

Yea Elliott is definitely a depth piece to replace Kinlaw. Hope they can bring back Givens for more depth. But definitely will be drafting a DT it's a very talented and deep class. But I just read that back in 2022 the Rams made a huge push to trade for Brian Burns. They offered 1st rounders on 2024 and 2025 as well as a 2nd rounder in 2025. Panthers rejected it. I am site they're pissed now as they only netted a 2nd and 5th from Giants. I personally would've loved it if Panthers agreed. Don't get me wrong, I think Burns is a very good player. But he's not in the same group as guys like Bosa, Myles Garrett, and TJ Watt. So I would've loved to see the Rams mortgage their future again.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,603

Post#237 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:59 pm

Whats the word around Gregory? Any chance we see him return?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#238 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:37 pm

Dammit
Read on Twitter
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#239 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:39 pm

Eagles have had a busy off-season....

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#240 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Eagles have had a busy off-season....

Read on Twitter

Yes, but they lost stalwarts Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox. They also lost Kevin Byard, though he wasn't spectacular for them. Can't take them lightly, but until they prove they aren't the team that collapsed down the stretch, I'm not going to get too worked up about them.

Return to San Francisco 49ers