ImageImageImageImageImage

Aiyuk contract status

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,269

Aiyuk contract status 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 pm

Wanted to break this apart from the big 2024 offseason thread.

I don't know if his contract status will be during the season or it will go into the last possible period when he can be retained.

But I saw an article on a 49ers fans site nothing that DeVonta Smith just signed an extension that might be a model for Aiyuk's extension.

Smith's extension is 3 years, $75 million. But Shefter says he was told that $51 million is guaranteed.

So this site pointed out that Smith's production in the past 3 years is very similar to Aiyuk's production in the same 3 seasons.

I guess on the Eagles, Brown still gets more targets and is the #1 whereas on the 49ers, Aiyuk may have produced more in the 3 seasons than Deebo.

The differences between Smith and Aiyuk are that Aiyuk is a year older, drafted #25 in the 2020 draft and Smith was drafted #10 in the 2021 draft.

But Aiyuk and his agent may not see things the same way, even though the production has been similar.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Re: Aiyuk contract status 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:12 pm

He's probably going to get slightly more than Smith but the question is for how many years.

I anticipate the deal getting done because between Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle it's pretty clear Aiyuk has the longest future with the team.

Because after 2025 guys like CMC, Deebo, and Kittle are all FA and among all the weapons Aiyuk is the youngest and will still be viable in 2026 and beyond so it makes sense to lock him up long term.

It'll be a contract that puts the Paraag to the test because I don't think it's impossible but it will require some juggling and you might have to hope Purdy is cool with his extension putting his money down a little bit down the line rather than upfront.
wco81
RealGM

Post#3 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:01 pm

Lions just signed Amon Ra St. Brown to 4 years, $120 million, $77 million guaranteed. St. Brown was First Team All-Pro last year.

So Aiyuk should slot below that contract but still too much for the 49ers unless they move some other big contracts.

There's talk about 49ers getting a 1st round pick, anywhere from #15 to the end of the first round or into the second round.

But they're not going to get a better WR than Aiyuk in the second half of the first round, even in a strong WR class.

They'd save a lot of money to reset with a rookie WR but they're in the window now to try to win a SB so they can't downgrade at WR in the next couple of seasons.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 948

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:01 pm

IF we're going to trade Aiyuk, I would expect it to be after this season. We can tag and trade him then. If they did move him this year, it would have to be to get one of the top five OTs in this draft. Then we take our Aiyuk replacement at 31 or in the second round.

If we extend Aiyuk, we probably can't avoid giving him something north of $25 million/year, but that's the going rate. And we can call it an "extension," so we spread out the cap hit. He shouldn't be paid as well as St. Brown, who has comparable numbers despite a year less of experience, and who has posted better numbers every season (granted as the primary weapon in a pass-heavy offense). St. Brown has demonstrated he is a #1 receiver. Jury is still out a little bit on Aiyuk as he has tended to struggle without Samuel (I place some of the blame for that on Kyle, who doesn't mix up how he uses Aiyuk).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

Another note on St. Brown: he was scheduled to make only $3.5 million this season. They are "extending" him for four years, but that means they can spread some money into this season that is considered part of the extension. In practical terms, it's more of a five-year, $124 million deal. Still a lot of money, but not quite as reported.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#6 » by Jikkle » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:13 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:IF we're going to trade Aiyuk, I would expect it to be after this season. We can tag and trade him then. If they did move him this year, it would have to be to get one of the top five OTs in this draft. Then we take our Aiyuk replacement at 31 or in the second round.

If we extend Aiyuk, we probably can't avoid giving him something north of $25 million/year, but that's the going rate. And we can call it an "extension," so we spread out the cap hit. He shouldn't be paid as well as St. Brown, who has comparable numbers despite a year less of experience, and who has posted better numbers every season (granted as the primary weapon in a pass-heavy offense). St. Brown has demonstrated he is a #1 receiver. Jury is still out a little bit on Aiyuk as he has tended to struggle without Samuel (I place some of the blame for that on Kyle, who doesn't mix up how he uses Aiyuk).

After having to stomach back-to-back years of difficult negations with Deebo and Bosa I do question if the team wants another year of drama and hassle.

Stepping aside the discussion of Aiyuk the player because in a pass-oriented offense I do think he would put up much better numbers I just question in our specific offense if he's really impactful enough to pay him top WR money. He had 9 catches and basically 0 impact in the playoffs outside of that flukey play in the Lions game where he got 51 yards.

So with that said the money is just better spent on other areas and replacing him with a guy that maybe not elite but just pretty good.

If we're going to say Purdy is a special QB and he's gifted mentally then he should be able to make pretty good guys work. That's why I continue to pound the table for offensive line because I feel if you give Purdy just a little more time to work the progressions he can make guys that are just pretty good work.

My gut tells me he gets traded for a 2nd along with some other picks. If we get a 1st I can see it being a future 1st as those are kinda 2nd round pick value-wise.

I wouldn't completely rule out an extension though but it would require some clever structuring to make it work. But I could see them structuring it where the bigger cap hits come in a couple years when as I mentioned in the off season thread a lot of contracts will fall off at that time.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#7 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:14 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:IF we're going to trade Aiyuk, I would expect it to be after this season. We can tag and trade him then. If they did move him this year, it would have to be to get one of the top five OTs in this draft. Then we take our Aiyuk replacement at 31 or in the second round.

After having to stomach back-to-back years of difficult negations with Deebo and Bosa I do question if the team wants another year of drama and hassle.

Stepping aside the discussion of Aiyuk the player because in a pass-oriented offense I do think he would put up much better numbers I just question in our specific offense if he's really impactful enough to pay him top WR money. He had 9 catches and basically 0 impact in the playoffs outside of that flukey play in the Lions game where he got 51 yards.

So with that said the money is just better spent on other areas and replacing him with a guy that maybe not elite but just pretty good.

If we're going to say Purdy is a special QB and he's gifted mentally then he should be able to make pretty good guys work. That's why I continue to pound the table for offensive line because I feel if you give Purdy just a little more time to work the progressions he can make guys that are just pretty good work.

My gut tells me he gets traded for a 2nd along with some other picks. If we get a 1st I can see it being a future 1st as those are kinda 2nd round pick value-wise.

I wouldn't completely rule out an extension though but it would require some clever structuring to make it work. But I could see them structuring it where the bigger cap hits come in a couple years when as I mentioned in the off season thread a lot of contracts will fall off at that time.

I don't see difficult negotiations as a deterrent. Every negotiation is difficult, and if you're having those conversations, it means you have good players.

The point about this offense is a fair one. We have been a run-first team for Shanahan's entire tenure. And we haven't treated Aiyuk as a #1 the way other teams do, by moving him around the formation, motioning him, feeding him the ball. That said, if we're leaning into Purdy and paying him top dollar, we need to become more pass-oriented. And even with a dedication to the run game, we were fourth in the league in pass yards per game. We need to build around Purdy, and that means shoring up his OL - especially the interior - and giving him passing weapons.

Between the two, I'd rather keep Aiyuk longterm than Deebo. Deebo is a unique player, but he's not nearly the receiver Aiyuk is. And with Purdy at QB, we need guys who can uncover quickly and will be in the right place at the right time. That's isn't Deebo.

I wouldn't be shocked if they move on from Aiyuk, and it's a good draft to do it, but I don't think they're looking to do it this year.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#8 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:40 pm

wco81 wrote:Lions just signed Amon Ra St. Brown to 4 years, $120 million, $77 million guaranteed. St. Brown was First Team All-Pro last year.

So Aiyuk should slot below that contract but still too much for the 49ers unless they move some other big contracts.

There's talk about 49ers getting a 1st round pick, anywhere from #15 to the end of the first round or into the second round.

But they're not going to get a better WR than Aiyuk in the second half of the first round, even in a strong WR class.

They'd save a lot of money to reset with a rookie WR but they're in the window now to try to win a SB so they can't downgrade at WR in the next couple of seasons.

The only receiver who will probably be available in the second half of round one is Brian Thomas Jr of LSU. Big, fast, runs great routes. But we would for sure need to trade up to at least # 20 to get him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#9 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Lions just signed Amon Ra St. Brown to 4 years, $120 million, $77 million guaranteed. St. Brown was First Team All-Pro last year.

The only receiver who will probably be available in the second half of round one is Brian Thomas Jr of LSU. Big, fast, runs great routes. But we would for sure need to trade up to at least # 20 to get him.

If they moved Aiyuk for a pick in the middle of the first round, I'd much rather they take a different position with that pick and look at WR at 31 or later. Ideally, we'd get an OT with the higher pick (Fautanu or Latham?). If the top OTs are gone, I'd look at the DL (Ts and Es). Then take the Aiyuk replacement later. Mitchell, McConkey, or Franklin is a possibility at 31. Could go with a Wilson, Pearsall, or Polk in the second round (might have to move up).
wco81
RealGM

Post#10 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 pm

Main issue about any rookie WR is that it may not be realistic for him to replace a lot of the production that Aiyuk would be expected to deliver this season.

Their window is closing so the team may want to keep the core as intact as possible for another run over the next couple of seasons.

That is unless they can move Deebo during this draft.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#11 » by arich35 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 pm

Rumors now floating around we have had discussions about Aiyuk/Deebo for a draft pick including one team in the top 10
wco81
RealGM

Post#12 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm

arich35 wrote:Rumors now floating around we have had discussions about Aiyuk/Deebo for a draft pick including one team in the top 10

I think a lot of these draft rumors are pushed by media and Twitter reporters who try to gain followers.

So it's done for ratings and for followers and likes.

That's in addition to agents and GMs also pushing rumors for their own agenda.
arich35
General Manager

Post#13 » by arich35 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 pm

wco81 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Rumors now floating around we have had discussions about Aiyuk/Deebo for a draft pick including one team in the top 10

I think a lot of these draft rumors are pushed by media and Twitter reporters who try to gain followers.

It was Dianna Russini who I believe is pretty respected
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,517

Post#14 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm

arich35 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Yep
Read on Twitter

No way anyone gives up a top 10 pick, even a 1st, for Deebo. BA maybe, depending if that included a pick with him
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
arich35 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Yep
Read on Twitter

No way anyone gives up a top 10 pick, even a 1st, for Deebo. BA maybe, depending if that included a pick with him

Bill Barnwell had the Niners trading Aiyuk, #31, and #93 to the Chargers for the #5 pick, which he had us using on Malik Nabers. That was an all-trade mock, so mostly for kicks. That would be an asinine trade. Move off a great WR and give up two more quality picks to...get a worse (though cheaper and arguably higher-upside) at one position. That would be a devastating trade for a team with super bowl aspirations.

If we could move Deebo and #31 to get one of the top OTs, I would strongly consider that, even this year when we should be maximizing our chances of going the distance. We can't replace what Deebo does, but I think we can replace the raw production with a good rookie receiver and by featuring Aiyuk in a more diverse role.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#16 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 pm

Deebo is more easily replaceable now that CMC is on the team vs BA. I'd try to keep both and blow it up next year with the CBs both FAs
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#17 » by thesack12 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:33 pm

Yeah, in all likelihood having 55-60 mil/season on the cap for WR's, and only 2 of them at that, is not a sustainable model. It might not even be a workable situation in the short term.

Between Deebo and Aiyuk, its obvious that Aiyuk is clearly the better Wide reciever. However, it wouldn't be hard to make an argument that Deebo is the better football player. Deebo is just so versatile possesses a unique skillset. Its also pretty clear that Kyle relies and leans heavily on using Deebo as his chess piece. As we saw in the playoffs, not having Deebo significantly reduces the overall effectiveness of the offense. Deebo's versatility, ability to line up all over the field, and immense amount of pre-snap motion puts a lot of stress on the opposing defenses and gives them a ton to think about. Both in the film room, and also on the field on Sundays.

Depending on the return, I wouldn't hate trading Deebo. However, as great as Aiyuk is, and he is great, I tend to think that replacing him will be easier than Replacing Deebo. At least "replace" in terms of getting something resembling quality pure WR play/prodution.

I just think that Deebo's impact goes far beyond the numbers and stats.

All that said, health is always a concern with Deebo. Which is unlikely to change as he ages, especially considering his physical style of play.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#18 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 am

Dammit

Read on Twitter
arich35
General Manager

Post#19 » by arich35 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Dammit

Read on Twitter

Eagles are not going to be good, fringe playoff team IMO.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#20 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:25 am

arich35 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Dammit

Read on Twitter

Eagles are not going to be good, fringe playoff team IMO.
Doesn't matter, it just set the bar higher for BA's contract

Return to San Francisco 49ers