ImageImageImageImageImage

Niners First Pick

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Who do you want the 49ers to take in the draft?

Total votes: 0

UKF
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Niners First Pick 

Post#1 » by UKF » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:53 am

Who do you want the 49ers to take in the draft?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,510

Post#2 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:00 am

Of those, Adams. Branch is actually more realistic than Adams, imo.

After Adams or Branch, ummm...and aside from trading up for CJ...Ginn Jr. and then Willis, I guess, than Landry and Okoye.

Jarrett might not even make the first round.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Sid the Squid » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:06 am

49ers have the cap room and the picks to move up and grab *you know who*.
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#4 » by HitMan52 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:42 am

Out of those selections I would like Gaines Adams then Laron Landry. The rest of them I say no and I would be upset if we picked them with our #11. Gaines Adams and Laron Landry will most likely be gone by the time we pick so realistically we would most likely end up with Adam Carriker who I would not be mad at if we picked because he fills a big need in DL, he may not be the sexy pick but does play an important position in the 3-4 defense. But we may never know what the niners do because it seems that they are unpredictable this year as opposed to last year when everyone knew we were going to pick Vernon Davis.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#5 » by ticknyler » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:10 am

Laron Landry is going to be a great Pro but we ddont have enough talent to take him over a D-Lineman, P. WIllis, or even a WR right now. Our safetys and secondary is solid. We have Michael Lewis, Mark Roman, and Keith (killer) Lewis as our 3 safetys right now all under contract at least for the next 3 years. Love Landry just doesnt make any sense with all our hole on the D-LIne
ticknyler
Junior

Post#6 » by ticknyler » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:10 am

Laron Landry is going to be a great Pro but we ddont have enough talent to take him over a D-Lineman, P. WIllis, or even a WR right now. Our safetys and secondary is solid. We have Michael Lewis, Mark Roman, and Keith (killer) Lewis as our 3 safetys right now all under contract at least for the next 3 years. Love Landry just doesnt make any sense with all our hole on the D-LIne
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#7 » by -bob- » Wed Apr 4, 2007 11:42 pm

B.Y. won't be here forever, I want Alan Branch! I have a good feeling he will be there at #11.
opzoneworld
Junior

Post#8 » by opzoneworld » Thu Apr 5, 2007 2:52 pm

My perfect Day 1 for the 49ers would be this:

1st Round: Branch or Okoye. Need to go DL first and formost. I do not like Carriker at all and will be somewhat upset if we pick him if either Branch or Okoye is still available. Either will be a great pick.

2nd Round: It is possible that Jarrett and or Rice could fall to the second round with poor pro-days. If either does, the 49ers should take him in the second as they need a good WR almost as bad as DL.

2nd Round: I would package my 3rd round pick and get into the middle of the 2nd and pick up Lamarr Woodley. This kid is going to be a beat in the NFL imo. Put him at LB in the 3-4 and just turn him loose on the pass rush. He just finds a way of getting to the QB and was one of the main reasons Michigan had one of the best if not the best D in the NCAA last year. He would do wonders for our poor passrush.

My two cents.
Rainmaker
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Rainmaker » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:56 pm

Patrick Willis without question. Then I'd like to see them trade up into the frist round again and pick up Dwayne Bowe.
God is a Red Sox fan
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#10 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 6, 2007 1:06 am

Gaines Adams
Amobi Okoye
Dwayne Jarrett
Patrick Willis
Laron Landry
Ted Ginn Jr.

Of these guys I'd have to say Adams followed by Okoye, Willis, Ginn, Landry, and Jarrett.

Jarett would be a terrible pick at #11 - he's going to be a high 2nd rounder at best after running terrible times at his pro day. Adams will probably be gone.

My board for the #11 would be:

Trade up for Calvin Johnson (super optomistic)
Jamaal Anderson (optomistic)
Alan Branch
Patrick Willis
Amobi Okoye
Ted Ginn
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#11 » by HitMan52 » Sat Apr 7, 2007 11:30 pm

Do any of you guys have a reason why you do not like Adam Carriker?
Is is because he is white?

The guys is a good football player and he is perfect for the 3-4. Alan Branch is a pass rusher and not a run stuffer same thing applies with Okoye. Adam Carriker is a guy who can take on multiple blockers and can stuff the run and has a never quit attitude. Okoye is very good and I wouldn't be made if selected him. Alan Branch is someone I do not want. He seems too lazy.
bleedredandgold
Ballboy

Post#12 » by bleedredandgold » Sun Apr 8, 2007 12:27 am

TheNext23? wrote:Do any of you guys have a reason why you do not like Adam Carriker?
Is is because he is white?

The guys is a good football player and he is perfect for the 3-4. Alan Branch is a pass rusher and not a run stuffer same thing applies with Okoye. Adam Carriker is a guy who can take on multiple blockers and can stuff the run and has a never quit attitude. Okoye is very good and I wouldn't be made if selected him. Alan Branch is someone I do not want. He seems too lazy.

Not because he is white...but because he is an overrated player an what was an overrated defense...you can look at that Auburn game all you want...but Auburn was a mediocre offense...Carriker might be a decent pro but not worth a #11 pick and definitely not worth taking over guys like Willis, Landry, Okoye or even Branch....

SPEAKING OF WHICH...

It seems as though now Branch is being called lazy in here...is it because you heard that on sportscenter?? If you didnt watch Michigan games this past year...you wouldnt know that BRANCH was the reason they had a top 3 run defense...he took on 2 and sometimes 3 blockers...he was a manchild inside...

Funny...I remember 12 years ago people labeling another defensive lineman a little too lazy...said he had all the tools but not the drive and was a problem in the locker room...oh yeah...his name is Warren Sapp...dont bite on everything ESPN says...remember...those are the same folks who thought the Browns were set for the next 12-15 years with Tim Couch
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#13 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Apr 8, 2007 4:22 pm

They also labled a super talented tackle out of USC as *lazy* a few years ago..but the raiders went ahead and drafted him :nonono: .
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#14 » by edney2polynice_ » Mon Apr 9, 2007 6:18 am

stop with the okoye at 11, he does not fit our 3-4 scheme. christ almighty.

branch has gained weight, and has "motivational issues" aka lazy mofo...that kinda scares me.
thanew_
Freshman

Post#15 » by thanew_ » Mon Apr 9, 2007 6:51 am

i dunno if i'd waste a first rounder on dwayne jarrett..

he slacks a lot of the time and really lacks the work ethic that i'd want in a receiver that I was taking in the first round
"...put your cape on" - Ronny Turiaf (11/1/06)
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 9, 2007 1:20 pm

I want Anderson or Willis with the #11. One or both ought to be there, and they both have talent and fit our scheme.

I will cry if we draft Carriker. He has zero chance to be an impact player in the NFL.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#17 » by ticknyler » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:34 am

Anderson is not going to fit in the 3-4 sorry. It will be Willis, Branch, or Carriker. I dont like Carriker but hes a better 3-4 end than Anderson. I also dont see why Okoye couldnt play end in the 3-4
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:53 pm

The ideal move would be to make a deal with Detroit or Cleveland to move up and grab Calvin Johnson. Let's say with Cleveland...

for

2007 1st rounder (#11)
2007 2nd rounder (#42)
2008 2nd rounder
2007 4th rounder (#124)

Harry Palmer figured out that this is roughly equal point-wise. I'd gladly make the move up for CJ if this is the basic cost.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by gswhoops » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:01 pm

ticknyler wrote:Anderson is not going to fit in the 3-4 sorry. It will be Willis, Branch, or Carriker. I dont like Carriker but hes a better 3-4 end than Anderson. I also dont see why Okoye couldnt play end in the 3-4

Why won't Anderson fit in a 3-4 as an end? He's 6' 5" and 290 pounds - only one inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Carriker. He's also a much better pass rusher who can beat a tackle with power or finesse moves, plus good against the run. Carriker is a terrible pass rusher and has almost no upside.

Barring a trade, if Anderson is still on the board when we pick he's my #1 choice
ticknyler
Junior

Post#20 » by ticknyler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 am

my fault i guess, didnt realize he was that big. If thats the case, id take anderson over Carriker too.

Return to San Francisco 49ers