Titans v. Seahawks: Game Thread

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Titans v. Seahawks: Game Thread 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:34 am

i expect most people have better things to do on a Saturday evening but in case they don't...

Some thoughts for far:

1. Wilson has already shown why he, not Kelly Jennings, should start opposite Trufant.
2. The defense gave up big gain after big gain on the first drive, all while not generating much of a pass rush. The line looked good on a goal line stand, but ineffective everywhere else.
3a. On the first offensive drive, the pass protection looked good, Hass looked comfortable, but the drive stalled.
3. On the second offensive drive, Hass got sacked, then Jones ran for no gain, then Hass checked down to Jones on 3rd and long for an incomplete pass. Same **** as last year.
4. This should be the only time Julius Jones starts with the first team offense this year.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Titans v. Seahawks: Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:35 am

Defensive line looked much better on the third series...when the Titans 2nd team offense came in [although I think it was their 1st team O-Line]. Vickerson and Bryant got into the backfield to stop the oppoing RB, and Clemons ended the drive with a speed rush/sack. Against Chris Simms. Blargh...

Whitehurst and Forsett in, and Forsett's shiftiness immediately produces something more than Jones running straight ahead into a wall of nothing. Mike Williams with a 50+ yard TD on a simple throw by Whitehurst and a nifty little spin move when the CB came to make the hit. That was GREAT to see.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 am

Whitehurst has a pretty good arm...seems to stick with his primary read; he hasn't really forced anything yet but I'd like to see him look at other WR. And take a shot deep...show off the cannon!

...and as I type that, he throws a pick. That picks may have been the WR's fault though. Whitehurst expected Williams to break toward the sideline after contact with the defender, and instead Williams made contact and just sort of stood there.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:34 am

Thurmond's in, and makes a tackle on a pass near the first down marker where he basically picked the WR...and threw him down on the ground. If he's healthy, I think he supplants Jennings on the depth chart. A trio of Trufant/Wilson/Thurmond could be pretty awesome.

First half is over. While there were some bad things, there were some reasons to be positive.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#5 » by TTown » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Good to hear on WT3 (Thurmond). He was a 2nd rounder until he blew out his knee. He lost himself some money and Seattle got a steal.

What was the starting DL from end to end?
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 pm

Clemons at the Leo [LDE] matched up against the blindside tackle, then Mebane/Cole/Bryant. The first series was not good, but there were some things to take away from how the line played:

1. Bryant was able to push his man in the backfield and look stout against the run. Doesn't answer the questions about his pass rushing ability though.

2. Mebane did the same but no plays went his direction so it didn't account for much.

3. Clemons has speed and can clearly pass rush. Whether he can play against the run is big concern...he did not look good on a screen play. Every time he makes a mistake I'm going to find myself wonder if Tapp would've handled the situation better.

4. Cole will never do much to help the pass rush. He's big, and doesn't really get pushed around, but he generates no pressure.

5. When Vickerson came in for Cole, the line changed completely. Vickerson was constantly disruptive. He's got Cole's size but appears to be able to do something with it. If he can play regularly like he did last night, he'll make life much easier for Bryant and Mebane. He needs to be starting.

6. Foley isn't the second coming of Nick Reed.

7. Dexter Davis can get to the QB. He's been playing both LEO and OLB in camp, and I wonder if that might mean we'll see him used to give 3-4 and 4-3 looks in the future. I doubt he contributes much this year, but he's good depth and potential.

8. I know Curry has seen some time in the LEO position this offseason, but with the head injury he suffered, and the lack of LB depth due to injury we have right now, he wasn't used there this game. I'd like to see a DL line of Bryant/Vickerson/Mebane, Curry as a LB/DE hybrid, and a LB corps of Hill/Hawthorne/Tatupu. Or even Herring instead of Hill since he's better at covering TE/RB out of the backfield. Curry seems like a better playmaker when he's in the backfield, and looked like a liability last year when he was providing pass coverage.

In short, I went into the game thinking our DL was the worst part of the team. Now? I see some possibilities.

As for Kam Chancellor, in case anyone's wondering...he was only visible on two plays. One was a unremarkable gimme interception that basically ended the game, and the other was a hit to Stafon Johnson that destroyed the kid's ankle. Genuinely heartbreaking since that kid's been through a lot, but as for the play itself...it was a violent, legal hit that ended the play. Just speed and a shoulder...boom...done.

Earl Thomas is a lot of things, but he certainly is not a hitter. Chancellor may be young and lacking polish, but I don't think he would slip through waivers to the practice squad, and I can see why people dream of Thomas/Chancellor as the safety duo of the future. Thomas's speed/range and Chancellor's hitting ability look like they can be game changers.

I do not believe this is a playoff team, but I think it's a team that will be more fun to watch than it has been the past couple years and might be .500 team. Which is progress. With the draft we had, I think this team can only continue to get better in the future. The point in the season where Hass is benched and Whitehurst comes in will be interesting to watch. I think Hass knows he's being phased out...he's a smart enough guy, and I hope he's fine being a mentor to Whitehurst.

Return to Seattle Seahawks