2022 Draft Discussion

Moderator: Cactus Jack

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,403

Re: Draft Discussion 

Post#21 » by Danny Darko » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:So what's your preferred Wishlist?

Assuming a guy like Thibodeaux goes off the board early.

9th pick- Sauce, Ekwonu, Cross

There's a very good chance that at least one is still available at 9. Take them & don't trade back!

Picks 40 & 41- Breece Hall & either an Edge or OT. Corral might also be the guy here.

I was wondering if there was a success in the draft by position metric and there is actually, of course. Considering we are needy in several positions I wanted to use that as a guide by my own perception of what we need (tackle, CB, Edge, LB, RB)

A few of my observations from the metrics here:

1- DE&DT are the most drafted position in the 1st round and they have a crappy success to bust rate

2-QB is a tough pick by success rate. I was surprised the extent to which drafting a QB failed

3- OT was one of the most reliable positions to draft and the 2nd highest drafted in the 1st round was OL, so that's a strong indicator if you want to. minimize risk imo.

4- CB was heavily drafted with middle of the road success

----

9th- Ickey(starting to slip in drafts post pro days due to others getting hype)
Then Pennington, Cross (in that order).
Then Gardner
*wildcard draft mayhem fantasy Neal, then Thibodeaux

It kills me to put any OT that isn't the clear best or 2nd best in class ahead of Sauce, but I'm playing the numbers game. If there is strong belief Gardner is generational I think he's drafted ahead of us and if it comes down to Neal or Ickey still on the board vs CB I regretfully have to go tackle mostly because of the lack of FA on the board and money to pay them in combination with the metrics on success.

40, 41
Corral or Ridder QB & Faalele RT
I've heard a pretty good case for Ridder to us recently and QB is still such an emphasis and need for us, clearly i'm a fan of andre the giant at RT and I realize that might be foolish there, but I was also way into Maita with a nearly identical background and he's now starting at LT for the eagles.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#22 » by Danny Darko » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:37 pm

I will say this looking at our 1st round for this Front Office- they don't have a position they just like to stock up on in the 1st.
The most common thing they did in the 1st was not have a pick 5 of 10 years.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#23 » by Danny Darko » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 am

another random thought... if we are running a 3-4... and Hamilton is there... regardless of having Diggs and Adams (and his abomination contract). I'm tempted to make Hamilton a starting SS and create some weird pass D heavy L OLB position for Adams.

Hamilton is one of the best thought of safeties in years and years and that position in the 1st round is almost 50/50 pro bowl or better. Adams isn't good at deep coverage and he can be a dangerous rusher with the option to drop back to cover TE/RB routes... I'm open to that idea.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#24 » by Danny Darko » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:38 am

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,466

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:58 am

Willis was sacked 51 times last year. Do you think that will improve at the next level? Doubtful.

People watch his highlights & think he should be a top 10 pick.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#26 » by Danny Darko » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:37 am

Decent chance Corral is there in the 2nd I would say.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:41 am

Danny Darko wrote:Decent chance Corral is there in the 2nd I would say.

I don't know. I've seen mocks with him going in the teens. It depends on how early guys like Willis & Pickett end up going. I could see him going somewhere in the 20's- early 2nd. I don't think he'll still be there at 40.

Would I take him at 9? God no. But I could definitely see them trading up from 40.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#28 » by Danny Darko » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:48 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I don't know. I've seen mocks with him going in the teens. It depends on how early guys like Willis & Pickett end up going. I could see him going somewhere in the 20's- early 2nd. I don't think he'll still be there at 40.

Would I take him at 9? God no. But I could definitely see them trading up from 40.

what picks would you move to get into where he might get drafted in the 1st?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#29 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:07 pm

Danny Darko wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

what picks would you move to get into where he might get drafted in the 1st?

The difference between the 31st & 40th picks is about 100 points. So that's essentially a 4th & 5th in value.

Moving up from 40 to 25 would mean giving up pick #72 (3rd) in value.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#30 » by Danny Darko » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:05 pm

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Re: Offseason News/Free Agency 

Post#31 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:53 pm

Duane will be 37 & had a down year last year. PFF grades him as an above average LT. You have to find his replacement here soon. You might as well do it now (Cross).

Curhan is likely best suited to be a backup. PFF graded him as 77th/83 for OT. His pass blocking is pretty bad. Him as the starter? That's a problem. I would make signing Shell a priority.

I've kind of gone back & forth with this. But they need to prioritize the o-line.

LT- Cross
LG- Lewis
C- Linderbaum/?
RG- Jackson
RT- Shell

That's not a bad looking line. I would even look to add a Guard to eventually replace Gabe Jackson.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Re: Offseason News/Free Agency 

Post#32 » by Danny Darko » Sat Apr 2, 2022 7:13 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Duane will be 37 & had a down year last year. PFF grades him as an above average LT. You have to find his replacement here soon. You might as well do it now (Cross).

Curhan is likely best suited to be a backup. PFF graded him as 77th/83 for OT. His pass blocking is pretty bad. Him as the starter? That's a problem. I would make signing Shell a priority.

Blythe looks like a stopgap at Center. He's nothing special. But he knows the system. Only signed a one year deal. But you could potentially add Linderbaum. If you add him & Cross. Then you could have a really good line going forward. This is probably the ideal scenario.

They've also been linked to G Zion Johnson. He's projected to go in the back half of the 1st.

Team sources told WalterFootball.com that targeting offensive line help is the Seahawks' favored priority with their first selection in the 2022 NFL Draft.

The Seahawks are without their first-round pick thanks to the Jamal Adams trade, but fortunately for them, there could be some quality offensive line prospects available in Round 2. The Seahawks like Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum, although he probably won't get to their second-round pick. Seattle also really likes LSU guard Ed Ingram and Boston College guard Zion Johnson. Another blocker who intrigues the organization is Georgia's Jamaree Salyer, who is more of a guard for the NFL but played offensive tackle for the Bulldogs. All of those linemen are viewed as being capable of starting quickly.

Conclusion: I've kind of gone back & forth with this. But they need to prioritize the o-line. Unless Thibs somehow falls to you. Take Cross or trade down & take either Penning or Linderbaum. Ideally I'd love to grab two of those guys.

If you deal Metcalf, you likely would get a 1st (mid-late) & maybe a 2nd. Which would leave you with 5 picks in the first two rounds.

That would give you enough capital to solve the o-line (2/3 guys). Possibly grab a WR (deep class) & an Edge/LB.

LT- Cross/Penning
LG- Lewis
C- Linderbaum
RG- Gabe Jackson
RT- Shell

That's not a bad looking line. I would even look to add a Guard to eventually replace Gabe Jackson.

Linderbaum is supposed to be about the best center ever to come out right? we saw the Unger effect, so...
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#33 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 4, 2022 11:45 pm

Sources close to the Panthers tell PFN that right now, it comes down to a pair of players for Carolina – Charles Cross or Ikem Ekwonu. However, it’s questionable that Ekwonu lasts until the sixth pick.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#34 » by Danny Darko » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:03 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Sources close to the Panthers tell PFN that right now, it comes down to a pair of players for Carolina – Charles Cross or Ikem Ekwonu. However, it’s questionable that Ekwonu lasts until the sixth pick.

Assuming Ekwonu goes within the top 5. Cross should go at 6.

With all 3 Tackles gone. Are you more inclined to trade down?

If Kayvon starts to slide. I could see a scenario where they trade up & grab him. Going from #9 to #7. Likely wouldn't cost all the much. Maybe you swap a 3rd for a 4th. Based on value.

Another option is trading down. You could swap picks with New Orleans (#9 for #16). Pick up an extra 2nd. Assuming guys like Linderbaum & Johnson are in play. I think this is the most likely outcome. Rumor is New Orleans is targeting a QB. So a trade up for them makes sense.

yeah i agree with your outlook I guess it comes down to what we really think of Willis to some degree and if they like one of Hamilton, Sauce, Thibs, or Travon that much.

We need a tackle so badly right now and Brown is still a possible stop gap, but trading back puts us at Linderbaum OR Pennington where our need is Pennington and the better player likely Linderbaum

I don't know the points system like you do, but I'm tempted to try to find a way to get both top 3 tackle AND Linderbaum unless at 9 we really like Willis, Sauce, Gardner as a special player.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#35 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:49 pm

It's fair to say that Ike Ekwonu is very high on their draft Board. He is everything they want in an OL prospect. But will in all likelihood be a top 5 pick. He won't fall to them.

I think they have their eye on Sauce. But will likely be gone before they pick.

Everything seems to indicate that they like Linderbaum. Is a scheme fit. Would they take him at 9? Doubtful.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#36 » by Danny Darko » Wed Apr 6, 2022 1:23 am

So 3 tackes, Hutchinson, Walker, = 5

That leaves Hamilton (you know how i feel about safety metrics being good bets), Sauce, Thibs, Stingley, Pennington, Willis, Linderbaum).

Of those staying at 9 I could palate Hamilton, Sauce, Thibs, Willis... the rest trade back but going back if you have a target guy is dangerous so you have to either have a dark horse or be cool with one of x that might be left as a likelihood.

if you want a star I think you pick at 9

But we know JS... he's trading back... maybe waaaay the f back

I still think more likely than not really Cross is there and Panthers go Willis or Pickett.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 6, 2022 3:45 am

Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#38 » by Danny Darko » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:21 am

Sam Howell looks like an IT professional in that pic.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#39 » by Danny Darko » Wed Apr 6, 2022 9:09 am

I see so many recent mocks saying thibs falls to us... no way in hell i'm trading back if he's there.

... also no way to mock a John Schneider draft outside of the call to the selection.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#40 » by Danny Darko » Wed Apr 6, 2022 9:16 am

I actually can see a scenario where two QBs are selected by 9, as well. I like that scenario- opens up a few guys I would keep instead of trading back for.

Seahawks seem to be working the "we have a really good secondary already angle" right now and it's bluff o'clock so... while I like that Coleman is back, Sydney is an NFL player, and Burns is a fav of the the new secondary coach... would pete and John pass on a Sherman only better college career type of guy in Sauce? idk.

sports illustrated which is about as payola clickbait muppet as rolling stone: https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/pete-carroll-believes-seahawks-secondary-could-be-one-of-our-best-groups

Return to Seattle Seahawks