ImageImage

Capellan's agent seeks trade

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Capellan's agent seeks trade 

Post#1 » by Captain Erv » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:22 pm

MILWAUKEE -- The agent for relief pitcher Jose Capellan contacted the Brewers Sunday and requested a trade after the right-hander was the final pitcher cut from the Opening Day roster.

Capellan went 4-2 with a 4.40 ERA for the Brewers last season in 61 relief appearances, second on the team to Derrick Turnbow's 64, but the Brewers elected to keep right-hander Greg Aquino on the roster over Capellan and Chris Spurling. Aquino was 2-0 with a 4.47 ERA in 42 games with Arizona last season, and was traded in November to Milwaukee.

"I have a lot of respect for [Brewers general manager] Doug Melvin, but I made it clear that I think it's time for the Brewers to relinquish control of Capellan," said Bill Rego, Capellan's Florida-based agent. "I sense he was open to the idea after we talked.

"It is my opinion that you have to look at what a player did to contribute to an organization in the previous year," Rego said. "You look at 60-plus appearances, 16 holds. He was a workhorse for the Brewers."

Capellan was asked to report by Wednesday to Nashville, which opens its season at home. Rego would not say whether the player planned to report, and was asked what would happen if the team could not arrange a trade.

"I guess we will have to answer that question when the time comes," Rego said.

Capellan was upset when given the news Sunday that he was not on the team. He left Miller Park, skipping a scheduled autograph session and the team's final spring workout. The 26-year-old even told some teammates he might retire.

"That was said in the heat of battle," Rego said. "Jose has a lot of years left in baseball. He of course was disappointed."

In 11 Spring Training games, Capellan had a 5.06 ERA. Aquino had a 4.50 ERA in 12 games, and according to Melvin and Brewers manager Ned Yost, outperformed both Capellan and Spurling.

"And it's not just Spring Training," Melvin said, pointing to Capellan's 8.00 ERA last September.

"I talked to the agent, and I told him I'm not going to give Jose Capellan away," Melvin said. "I understand he's not happy here, but he's got to go play. We didn't have Francisco Cordero [at the beginning of] last year. We didn't have Elmer Dessens last year. We didn't have Carlos Villanueva last year at this time. We're just deeper and better. There's no doubt that Capellan can be in the big leagues. He's the 13th man on a 12-man staff right now."

Melvin said the Brewers are still mulling Capellan's role should he report to Nashville. Dennis Sarfate is expected to get most of the opportunities to close games, and Melvin said Capellan could see action in multiple-inning stints, and may even start games.

"He needs to get some innings," Melvin said.

discuss.
Buck4Life
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Buck4Life » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:28 pm

That sucks, I really think the dude has closer potential. He was a good reliever for us last year and I still dont understand why we sent him down in the first place. We could certainly get some solid value for him in a trade but Id rather keep him and call him up again.
BrewKrew
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by BrewKrew » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:29 pm

Wow, hes obvously pretty mad. Hate to see him go, but if thats what he needs to do, so be it.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#4 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:55 pm

I don't blame him. Capellan's been apart of this team for the better part of two seasons. I was really, really surprised to see him sent down, and hope he shows up back on the team shortly because he has some nasty stuff.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#5 » by cam2win » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:30 am

I think this is a true testament to the depth of this club. Capellan clearly has the talent to be a big leaguer and on most clubs he would be. I'd rather he stayed and provided depth in case of injury but it will be interesting to see his value on the market. Maybe combine him with Mench to get an upgraded corner OF type of guy.
SugarRay34
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#6 » by SugarRay34 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:52 pm

He should be on this team. Last year he pitched great in the 2nd half. High 90's fastball with a great slider. Some team is going to be very happy when they get him and he will be a good reliever maybe even a starter for a team. He did come into Milwaukee as a stater and I was pretty high on him. Pretty mad that hes most likely gonna end up leavin
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#7 » by wichmae » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:34 pm

Yeah ho should have gotten onto the team I agree. Maybe the staff saw something we didnt...
Captain Erv
General Manager

Post#8 » by Captain Erv » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:15 pm

Capellan definitely was overworked last year due to our awful starting pitching. However, he didn't have an standout performances last year or this spring. He is still a young guy who still has a few kinks to work out. He should just worry about making himself a good pitcher in the meantime.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,084

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:20 pm

He had a better year than Dessens did last year. And he's a lot younger.
Captain Erv
General Manager

Post#10 » by Captain Erv » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:He had a better year than Dessens did last year. And he's a lot younger.

That's hard to argue, but I think it's better to have a veteran guy out in the pen who can make a start or two if need be and also eat up a lot of innings. Capellan has the ability to pitch a lot of innings, but he has been groomed to be more of a middle reliever. If anything, Villanueva should be starting in Nashville and Capellan should be on the club.

I don't question that as much as taking Gywnn over Rottino. Yeah, Gywnn has great speed and is ideal off the bench, but I'd rather have him getting everyday opportunities in AAA than sitting on the bench for 3/4 the season.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,794

Post#11 » by Ayt » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:44 pm

Melvin won't trade him anytime soon. He's too valuable. Someone out of the pen will really struggle and Latin Cappy will get called back up.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,254

Post#12 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:06 pm

I heard he showed up this spring well overweight and acted like the spot in the bullpen was his to lose.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#13 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:33 pm

Wasn't he going to be a starter at some point?
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#14 » by wichmae » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:50 pm

Yeah starter or closer.He really hasnt lived up to the hype of when we got him.
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#15 » by MajorDad » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:08 pm

you can't really compare cap to dessens. Dessens has made a career of being a long reliever and spot starter. capellan started out as a starter and then decided he was better at being a short reliever. the brewers had a need for a long reliever- thus they acquired dessens.

Capella n started his career as a starter. however, once he got to the AAA level, he found he could no longer use his 2 pitches to get players out after they had seen him twice. At the AAa level and in few starts in the majors, he was burning out after 4-5 innings. he just couldn't maintain hsi stuff for 6-8 innings. So he was switched to short relief where he excelled.

a questio n should be not is capellan better than dessens, but rather is he better than turnbow or Wise or Acquino? Those are the three pitchers who essentually beat him out. Dessens made the team as a long reliever. Shouse made the team because he's a lefty, and cordero is the closer. and Villuenaza made the team as a short reliever.

of that bunch, the only guy cappellan might be better than is Acquino. and frankly, i didn't notice much difference. the brewers now have depth in their bull pen. I'm sorry capellan is upset. but if he came to Spring training and worked hard and was effective, it would have been Acquino as the odd man out.

there comes a time when a prize phenom is no longer treated with kid gloves and is expected to elevate his game.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers