madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,844

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#161 » by madmaxmedia » Thu May 9, 2024 7:19 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Signing him to 4 years is only going to be compounding the problem now. At the time the basis for the trade was generally acceptable. But giving him a max now now guarantees likely 2 really bad years at the end, and significantly decreases his trade value IMO.

I think a 3 year deal is still value positive, a 4 year/$220 max is value negative no matter what we traded to get him originally.

I don't disagree with you. I would love to see the Clippers move on from the 213 era which has failed much like the lob city era has. But, the Clippers decided to extend the 213 era by signing Leonard to a new three year deal. The problem has already been compounded. How do you salvage next season, the next three years, by letting PG13 walk away with nothing in return?

it seems like the FO has pretty clearly tapped into this line of thinking, which i suppose is why PG hasn't been handed a 4 year max thus far, and i would imagine they think exactly what we think: try to get him for 3 because he's playable and tradeable at 3, but at 4 we're better off gritting our teeth and letting him go, in spite of everything we gave up to acquire him in the first place.

i imagine also they're kinda banking on other teams having no interest in giving him the 4 year max possible, either.

whatever the case, while i understand the sentiment of wanting to move on as fans, especially after the emotions of the series and season ending the way it did, i'm glad to see that we have people (mostly) thinking about how to extract maximum value for what we have. like i get it if people wanna move on, but yo, cmon, let's think like we're a divorce lawyer so we can try to get whatever we possibly can for the client lol. some assets are always better than none, and given how asset-starved we are to begin with, each one has much greater relative value to us.

Yeah that is exactly my thinking. In a vacuum, 3 year deals for Kawhi and PG are reasonably fine- each has their own risks but are not value negative signings IMO. But 4 year contracts would be, for either player. The main risk factor for both is age, but slightly different in each case. Kawhi is holding up better on the court, but isn't on the court enough. PG has had better health, but his game seems to be declining faster. Hypothetically if both had demanded 4 years, giving it to them would make us better next year but significantly worse in the back half of those deals and also reduces their trade value significantly IMO.

Of course, one could have the opinion that there's not that much difference between 3 and 4 years, that they'll hold up reasonably fine all 4 years. From that perspective the obvious choice is to try for 3 but give them 4 if needed to get the deals done.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,953

Post#162 » by esqtvd » Thu May 9, 2024 7:34 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
They generally didn’t play enough big league minutes, for now we have to go by G-League and college to determine if they at least have potential to adjust to NBA defenses. Bones has a NBA 3-pointer for sure, Kobe could, BBj could as well. Miller did well in G-League. They’re also the youngest we got, and are children compared to our collection of 35 year olds.

If Ballmer wants to throw good money after bad that is his prerogative. But where it goes sour for me is if he prioritizes win now moves at the expense of our future. We’re definitely at the point of diminishing returns here, don’t make our outlook in 2028, 2029, 2030 worse than they have to be.

Good money after bad? Ballmer has more money than he can ever count, let alone spend. The real question is whether Ballmer wants to win 45 or 50 games a year or take it up the butt in the loss column playing "kids" who are closer to being the next Sindarius Thornwell than the next Jalen Brunson.

3-pt%:
Bones 32.6%
Kobe 29.2%
BBJ 26.9%

Ugh. Kobe [33%] and Miller [31%] didn't shoot the 3 that well in G-League either. And they turn 25 next year.

It's worth looking at the G-League leaders, especially the ones who outperformed ours. Hardly any are ever going to make a dent in the NBA, even with more NBA minutes--they already would be getting them somewhere.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/leaders/

At least Bones and BBJ are only 24 and 23 respectively next year. But they were redundant--Mann and Powell got those minutes. Surely nobody believes those "kids" could have done better with those minutes. Both shot under 30% from 3 with the big club; Powell shot 43% and after his horrendous start, so did Mann [after the ASB].

Ballmer is 68. It's one thing to pay some dues to develop your "kids" but it's another to suffer for nothing. And he couldn't do "The Process" if he wanted--the draft picks are gone and/or pick-swapped until like 2030. No Wembys in Ballmer's future. And EVERYBODY'S looking for the same thing--"young and athletic" 6'8" three-and-Ds.

We all smelled this coming--he's boxed in, and his fellow owners boxed him in double [along with Joe Lacob of the Dubs] with this new CBA. 50-win seasons are starting to sound like a ceiling, not a floor. Even a goal.

I meant good money after bad figuratively. For example giving PG 4 year max would be throwing good money after bad. Every year going forward he’s gonna have to spend more for less wins- like you said, probably a 50 win ceiling next year. But I actually don’t even care about that, it’s making moves that cost us in the future to get those 50 wins is the big problem now.

But forget about Ballmer- what would you actually do?

Can't separate the two--Ballmer IS the Clippers. With his age [68] and opening the new Ballmerdome, he probably pays the ransom to PG and to a lesser degree Beard, aims for 50 wins, and maybe take my lumps in a couple years when the clock REALLY strikes. I agree with you that trading any more future draft capital has to be a big no, but I think the Harden trade was already the last straw on that.

There are some lean years coming up in the future, just as the Spurs, Dubs and probably Suns have just learned, but if I'm Ballmer I just temporize for now. I can't open the new arena with a laughingstock.

Ty Lue has a great reputation among players but L-Frank doesn't and should go. Even if he's not bad, he's not lucky. And it was Ty who elevated Hartenstein over Ibaka and demoted both Reggie and Russ. I trust his judgment more and I think he can sell hard decisions to veterans.

But Ballmer being Ballmer--going back to his Microsoft days when Apple innovated rings around him--I [he] will probably stick with yes-man L-Frank. IMO, Ballmer calls the shots and always has, starting with the PG deal and we know he personally completed the Beard deal. Ballmer is not known for bold moves, and the one he did make [Kawhi/PG] has to be rated as a fail.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,772

Post#163 » by KL2 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:01 pm

Read on Twitter
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 394

Post#164 » by wakelaunch1 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:24 am

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

whos that
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#165 » by ejftw » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:
KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

whos that

Country singer
KL2
Analyst

Post#166 » by KL2 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:46 am

He’s from Villanova. He was the second leading scorer for them in 2021-2022 before tearing his Achilles at the end of the elite 8. Highs and lows since.

6’5 shooting guard.

Overview of him here:

https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/justin-moore/13677

I wasn’t sure if we should post these type of workouts here or if someone would start a draft type thread.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#167 » by jengmann3 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:30 am

I'm surprised ppl don't want to blow it up. I feel like a hypocrite. A huge part of me doesn't. I say this all the time but I grew up watching Stockton and Malone, Kemp and Payton. Reggie Miller. Like guys failed over and over until they got to the chip. And those dudes for the most part didn't even win it but still have the respect from fans. But I never really seen a dude be hurt consistently and be entrusted with the keys to the franchise. I guess the difference is he has played some really good basketball. But like D Rose in Chicago, Penny in Orlando, Tracy Mcgrady, C Web, franchises just eventually move on. Maybe it's cuz they don't have the draft picks cuz of the okc trade they don't want to admit defeat. Once again Kawhi my favorite player but I'm surprised ppl don't want to trade him. I guess cuz his value is low. But if I'm Atlanta, y wouldn't I trade Dejounte. If I'm the nets can I give you cam Johnson and cam Thomas. If I'm Miami can I give u hero. And maybe this would be trade deadline stuff. But idk of a player with that type of injury history that eventually begins playing in the post season and is healthy. Maybe embiid. Anyway I certainly hope he does get healthy.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,126

Post#168 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri May 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Thinking it over, maybe it would be for the best if PG13 signs with the Sixers?

The Sixers saved the bacon of the Clippers twice now. First, when they signed Elton Brand. And second, when they signed Tobias Harris. In hindsight, both of those would have been terrible re-signings for the Clippers.

So maybe the Sixers are trying to save the Clippers from themselves one more time lol.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#169 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri May 10, 2024 4:28 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Thinking it over, maybe it would be for the best if PG13 signs with the Sixers?

The Sixers saved the bacon of the Clippers twice now. First, when they signed Elton Brand. And second, when they signed Tobias Harris. In hindsight, both of those would have been terrible re-signings for the Clippers.

So maybe the Sixers are trying to save the Clippers from themselves one more time lol.

In fairness to Tobias Harris- they don't use him properly. He excels when you run some plays for him in the post or off screens. They basically just tell him to sit in the corner and spot up for 3s and he isn't really suited for that
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#170 » by wakelaunch1 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:50 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:Thinking it over, maybe it would be for the best if PG13 signs with the Sixers?

In fairness to Tobias Harris- they don't use him properly. He excels when you run some plays for him in the post or off screens. They basically just tell him to sit in the corner and spot up for 3s and he isn't really suited for that

Id take Harris on a cheaper deal as role player for the Clippers. He gives effort. I liked him on the Clippers. I know he is older now but 2 for 20, something like that similar to how we used Batum. But overall I think we need to do a slow rebuild without PG. PG wants the max and hes not even a top 20 player. I could list at least 30 players I would rather have than PG. If Kawhi wants to leave without PG than trade him too. We need to get younger quick. I would love to keep Powell but he is a great trade piece for a young player.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,993

Post#171 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 7:08 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:He excels when you run some plays for him in the post or off screens.

He did plenty of that as a Sixer and didn't excel.
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#172 » by wakelaunch1 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:18 pm

KL2 wrote:He’s from Villanova. He was the second leading scorer for them in 2021-2022 before tearing his Achilles at the end of the elite 8. Highs and lows since.

6’5 shooting guard.

Overview of him here:

https://villanova.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/justin-moore/13677

I wasn’t sure if we should post these type of workouts here or if someone would start a draft type thread.

I would love a young athletic guard who can guard the point guards. We havent had that in a long time. But my fear is that Ty wont play any young guards and let them make mistakes. We really need to add an athletic big which is why I love Ledee from SDSU. I watched him all last year and he plays really really hard and athletic. Would be a great 4/5 off the bench like Harrell was. He can also dribble and shoot a little as well.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#173 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri May 10, 2024 8:08 pm

Stanford wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:He excels when you run some plays for him in the post or off screens.

He did plenty of that as a Sixer and didn't excel.

I guess I didn't watch him that closely on the Sixers- I thought they would basically just run things through Embiid, Maxey, and Harden (last season).

He played well against the Clippers this season in that role when they played at Staples with Embiid out
KL2
Analyst

Post#174 » by KL2 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:49 pm

jengmann3 wrote:I'm surprised ppl don't want to blow it up. I feel like a hypocrite. A huge part of me doesn't. I say this all the time but I grew up watching Stockton and Malone, Kemp and Payton. Reggie Miller. Like guys failed over and over until they got to the chip. And those dudes for the most part didn't even win it but still have the respect from fans. But I never really seen a dude be hurt consistently and be entrusted with the keys to the franchise. I guess the difference is he has played some really good basketball. But like D Rose in Chicago, Penny in Orlando, Tracy Mcgrady, C Web, franchises just eventually move on. Maybe it's cuz they don't have the draft picks cuz of the okc trade they don't want to admit defeat. Once again Kawhi my favorite player but I'm surprised ppl don't want to trade him. I guess cuz his value is low. But if I'm Atlanta, y wouldn't I trade Dejounte. If I'm the nets can I give you cam Johnson and cam Thomas. If I'm Miami can I give u hero. And maybe this would be trade deadline stuff. But idk of a player with that type of injury history that eventually begins playing in the post season and is healthy. Maybe embiid. Anyway I certainly hope he does get healthy.

I’m not against blowing it up. I just don’t think it’s realistic for several reasons.

The FO for whatever reason want brand names. They want finished products over players who need time to develop. Not even a little interest in a 50-50 roster. They’re riding this Leonard era until the wheels all come off it appears.

The problem with trading for Leonard is teams would be doing so for the playoffs. Like Toronto banking he gets you over the hump finally. Playoff Leonard is special but only if he’s available which he hasn’t been.

They'll continue to trade the fringe players along with perhaps Mann, Zu, or Powell depending on who they’re targeting.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,844

Post#175 » by madmaxmedia » Sat May 11, 2024 9:57 pm

If Dallas pulls out this series, it actually makes us look a lot better. With all due respect to the Mavs, I feel we pull out that series with Kawhi.

That being said, I’m still really against giving PG a 4 year deal. 3 years, and we can start the season and see how it goes. We shouldn’t blow it up to blow it up, but PG and Harden on shorter deals will be value positive trade assets if we start exploring that.

Worst case and most depressing scenario is giving both of them long contracts that are questionable in trade value, and we we don’t have a good half season we are stuck with them anyway.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,122

Post#176 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:If Dallas pulls out this series, it actually makes us look a lot better. With all due respect to the Mavs, I feel we pull out that series with Kawhi.

Actually, it makes the Clippers look worse. You know how I always say "Magical things always happen when your opponent is the Clippers!" in such a giddy fashion. What this means is, whatever weaknesses a team usually has that can be exploited by elite, playoff and even lottery teams, those weaknesses all vanish in the blink of an eye against one specific team because of their losing history. Worst 3-point shooting, worst free throw shooting, worst passing, worst offense, worst defense, worst players, and so on: all become elite just because of the Clippers reputation as Bad News Bears.

How does this relate to Mavericks? Say a team has never won a 1st round series in 10 or 20 years, never got out of the 2nd round, has a conference finals drought, or never won an NBA championship. Here's the Clippers, a team of misfits made by corrupt management that always does things wrong because their priorities are not befitting the interests of the league, media, or its own fans. In the Clippers case, they care more about wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers than doing what's right. Defeating Clippers is two-fold: you don't want to lose to the losers, and this is the greatest easiest opportunity ever. Defeating Clippers for Mavs may send them back to the NBA Finals by default, or worse, win them an NBA championship.

In the years the Clippers have made the playoffs, including the Braves years, their defeats resulted in the following:

1974: Vs. Celtics in "2nd" round... NBA champions
1975: Vs. Bullets in 2nd round... NBA Finals
1976: Vs. Celtics in 2nd round... NBA champions
1992: Vs. Jazz in 1st round... first ever conference finals berth
1993: Vs. Rockets in 1st round... 2nd round exit
- Rocket's first title would come next season
1997: Vs. Jazz in 1st round... first ever NBA Finals berth
2006: Vs. Suns in 2nd round... lost in conference finals
2012: Vs. Spurs in 2nd round... lost in conference finals
2013: Vs. Grizzlies in 1st round... first ever conference finals berth
2014: Vs. Thunder in 2nd round... lost in conference finals
- 1st round vs. Warriors results in NBA championship the year after and birth of a new dynasty
2015: Vs. Rockets in 2nd round... first conference finals berth since 1997 (18-year drought)
2016: Vs. Blazers in 1st round... 2nd round exit
2017: Vs. Jazz in 1st round... 2nd round exit
2019: Vs. Warriors in 1st round... lost in NBA Finals
2020: Vs. Nuggets in 2nd round... first conference finals berth since 2009 (11-year drought)
- Nuggets would become NBA champions in 2023
2021: Vs. Suns in conference finals... first NBA Finals since 1993 (28-year drought)
2023: Vs. Suns in 1st round... 2nd round exit

See the pattern? All you have to do is draw the Clippers in your conference playoffs, and you will experience success immediately or the year after that. Two of their playoff appearances resulted in NBA championships - granted that was in the years of the Braves, but still, Clippers fared no better than their predecessors based on the number of berths and broken droughts associated with them. Should Maverick's first title come out of this, the Clippers will hold an unbreakable reputation of being lucky charm salesmen trying to sell an easy championship to their opponents in exchange for relevancy.

So the next time I say "Magical things always happen" when it comes to the Clippers, remember that it has to do with outliers which og15 once brought up here (if you can, please re-elaborate) and I attempted to expand on a little further. Let's not add championships to the list of weaknesses that go away when facing the Clippers.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,290

Post#177 » by Clemenza » Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:If Dallas pulls out this series, it actually makes us look a lot better. With all due respect to the Mavs, I feel we pull out that series with Kawhi.

Actually, it makes the Clippers look worse. You know how I always say "Magical things always happen when your opponent is the Clippers!" in such a giddy fashion. What this means is, whatever weaknesses a team usually has that can be exploited by elite, playoff and even lottery teams, those weaknesses all vanish in the blink of an eye against one specific team because of their losing history. Worst 3-point shooting, worst free throw shooting, worst passing, worst offense, worst defense, worst players, and so on: all become elite just because of the Clippers reputation as Bad News Bears.

How does this relate to Mavericks? Say a team has never won a 1st round series in 10 or 20 years, never got out of the 2nd round, has a conference finals drought, or never won an NBA championship. Here's the Clippers, a team of misfits made by corrupt management that always does things wrong because their priorities are not befitting the interests of the league, media, or its own fans. In the Clippers case, they care more about wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers than doing what's right. Defeating Clippers is two-fold: you don't want to lose to the losers, and this is the greatest easiest opportunity ever. Defeating Clippers for Mavs may send them back to the NBA Finals by default, or worse, win them an NBA championship.

Man you say this in every other post you make. They were bad or unlucky under Sterling because he was cheap and the biggest scumbag on earth. We're a better organization now with Ballmer but always fall short not because we're trying to be loved and be like the Lakers, its because Ballmer is Microsoft. The guys who didn't really build anything themselves, but they were the guys who raided Silicon Valley of every new tech item and invention, bought it out completely, and made it their's. That's kind of what Ballmer has done for us. Not much development at all, just reaching and grabbing already known players, past their prime and all, and adding them to the team. Yeah he's got the slogans and whatnot, refurbished all the city courts in the city of LA, etc., but the team is a reflection of Ballmer and the Microsoft way of doing things. Maybe things change in the future as L. Frank is saying we now have to get younger. We'll see.

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,290

Post#178 » by Clemenza » Sun May 12, 2024 12:43 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Id take Harris on a cheaper deal as role player for the Clippers. He gives effort. I liked him on the Clippers. I know he is older now but 2 for 20, something like that similar to how we used Batum. But overall I think we need to do a slow rebuild without PG. PG wants the max and hes not even a top 20 player. I could list at least 30 players I would rather have than PG. If Kawhi wants to leave without PG than trade him too. We need to get younger quick. I would love to keep Powell but he is a great trade piece for a young player.

Harris was one of the most frustrating players to watch. Philly just celebrated the fact that his contract is over with on the team. This fanbase gets into a tizzy at every bad game PG plays. Harris will be 10x worse if he were to rejoin our team.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,953

Post#179 » by esqtvd » Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 am

Clemenza wrote:Man you say this in every other post you make. They were bad or unlucky under Sterling because he was cheap and the biggest scumbag on earth. We're a better organization now with Ballmer but always fall short not because we're trying to be loved and be like the Lakers, its because Ballmer is Microsoft. The guys who didn't really build anything themselves, but they were the guys who raided Silicon Valley of every new tech item and invention, bought it out completely, and made it there's. That's kind of what Ballmer has done for us. Not much development at all, just reaching and grabbing already known players, past their prime and all, and adding them to the team. Yeah he's got the slogans and whatnot, refurbished all the city courts in the city of LA, etc., but the team is a reflection of Ballmer and the Microsoft way of doing things. Maybe things change in the future as L. Frank is saying we now have to get younger. We'll see.

I think we mostly agree. Actually, I do think it was/is ownership. The buck stops there.

Sterling had the worst, most understaffed and underpaid organization in the NBA until Dunleavy and then Doc pulled it out of being a Charlie O. Finley joke, where he sucked every dollar out of every season and leeched off the success of the league by having the lowest payroll and overhead. I don't know if Finley made money every year, but Sterling did. The Clippers were a joke but Sterling made a fat profit every year and laughed all the way to the bank.

The irony was that Sterling started enjoying having a playoff contender so much he was even flirting with paying the luxury tax at the end there before he put his foot in his mouth, and got busted by his mistress [the great V. Stiviano aka Maria Vanessa Perez] of all things.

As for Ballmer, I keep repeating that he got his billions by being in the right place at the right time. Microsoft was the big dog and did well--but finished second to Apple. He tried the tried and true with Kawhi/PG and buying a championship, but guessed wrong on the guys who were supposed to do it--The Phantom and the Ghost.

They evaporated [pfffffft] when the chips were down.

Oh fk. I'm starting to sound like Wammy. Oh well. Somebody's gonna have to take his place as resident Sibyl. ;-)
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,050

Post#180 » by Sofia » Mon May 13, 2024 10:23 am

I had a thought… on the assumption that

a) PG wants out to the Sixers
b) Clippers want to keep competing now
c) Clippers are not capable of bottoming out without first round picks this decade
d) the #46 pick would likely not see any playing time anyway…

Sixers could renounce Tobias Harris and sign PG outright, or… they could do Tobi a favour by facilitating a trade back to LA and getting a 2nd rounder to take a flyer on someone to fill out the end of a very bare roster, while still landing PG.

3 years @ $21m saves a ton of tax money while bringing back a guy who was well liked when he was in town, and fills a roster spot that would have otherwise been filled with an MLE if PG walked.

It doesn’t make LAC competitors, but they weren’t competing anyway.

PG
2nd rounder 2024

for

Tobi 3 years @ $20m
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub

Return to Los Angeles Clippers