"Thornton's play getting noticed"

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

"Thornton's play getting noticed" 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:49 am

Victories have been scarce for the Clippers. As a result, center Chris Kaman's chances of making the Western Conference All-Star team as a reserve are slim. Coaches typically look at how a team is faring when deciding to cast their votes to fill out the seven reserve slots.

So despite ranking second in the NBA in rebounding, third in blocked shots and third in double-doubles, Kaman is a longshot to make his first All-Star team.

But the Clippers could have a player at All-Star weekend next month in New Orleans. Forward Al Thornton's recent play has enhanced his chance to be selected to the team for the annual Rookie Challenge Game, which pits this season's first-year players against last season's rookies.

"Al brings a lot of athleticism to the floor," Clippers assistant coach Rory White said. "He shoots the ball well, and he plays on the defensive end as well. Plus, I think that it would boost his confidence if he were able to be selected and participate."

OC Register
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#2 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:16 pm

al should be in the rookie game and the dunk contest
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#3 » by ClipperDomination » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

If Al gets a invite to the slam dunk contest, it should be very interesting to watch.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#4 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:15 pm

it is the "rising stars" dunk contest. they usually only invite guys in their first two years in the league so i'd say al has a shot.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mkwest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:40 pm

I think him getting consistent minutes over the last little bit is going to help his chances in the rookie game. He has a little bit of competition at the forward position.

I'd also love to see him get an invite to the dunk contest. I'm glad little man won't be there this year though.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#6 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

At the beginning of the of the season I was afraid that Al wouldn't get invited to the Rookie game because of his numbers. Now with his increased playing time he is showing everyone why he played so well in the pre-season. I think that he has a good chance of playing in the Rookie game.

No doubt that he should be in the dunk contest. I don't always agree with the players they choose for the dunk contest. I think it should be the leagues best dunkers, who ever picks them just seems to almost do it at random.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by JJ LoDuca » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:16 am

thanumba2clippersfan wrote: I think it should be the leagues best dunkers, who ever picks them just seems to almost do it at random.

No kidding, my thoughts exactly!
I hadn't even thought about Al being in any All-Star Weekend events until this thread. I don't see why he wouldn't play in the rookie game now with his minutes, and I definitely wanna see him throw down in the dunk contest! Like #2 said I don't know who picks the competitors...but so far, they haven't been doin such a great job. I wanna see Al up in there.
-Ms. JJ
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by mkwest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:50 am

JJ LoDuca wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No kidding, my thoughts exactly!
I hadn't even thought about Al being in any All-Star Weekend events until this thread. I don't see why he wouldn't play in the rookie game now with his minutes, and I definitely wanna see him throw down in the dunk contest! Like #2 said I don't know who picks the competitors...but so far, they haven't been doin such a great job. I wanna see Al up in there.

Same here. I wanted him to be in the rookie game at least, but Al being in the dunk contest never crossed my mind. Nowadays you don't see a lot of guys entering after getting beat (while still putting up great dunks). It needs to be more like back in the day where the best of the best are in each year.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#9 » by ClipperDomination » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:47 am

mkwest wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Same here. I wanted him to be in the rookie game at least, but Al being in the dunk contest never crossed my mind. Nowadays you don't see a lot of guys entering after getting beat (while still putting up great dunks). It needs to be more like back in the day where the best of the best are in each year.

Absolutely agree with mk, JJ, and #2. Dunk contests need to have the best of the best in them, or else they won't live up to the hype everyone expects them to be at.

Al's play from the past month or so should definitely earn him a spot on the Rookie/Sophmore game.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#10 » by mj_shoefanatic » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:27 am

Al should be a lock for the rook game.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers