ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Re-Sign Austin Rivers to $35M Over 3 Years

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,434

Re: Clippers Re-Sign Austin Rivers to $35M Over 3 Years 

Post#101 » by wco81 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:50 am

End of a rather uneventful chapter in franchise history.

Well he was a part of a team which failed to break through in the playoffs but the CP3-BG-DJ core also involved Doc Rivers, who was accused of giving his son too many minutes.

Could they have acquired someone else who might have contributed more? With Paul and Reddick, they could have used a guy who was at least 6-5 with length to complement them.
wco81
RealGM

Post#102 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:19 am

So he's worn out his welcome at Washington.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1776626

What took them so long? He's far from their biggest problem, so maybe teams will overlook big drop in shooting from the last two seasons with the Clippers.

Really curious what kind of market there will be for him in July.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#103 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:31 pm

Damn.

He just hasn’t ever been a good NBAer and just never will be.

Well at least he can take care of himself and any future family he creates.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
wco81
RealGM

Post#104 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 am

Looks like Suns bought him out, even though they could use a ball handler, though he’s not a playmaker.

Good thing for Clippers fans that Doc isn’t GM.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#105 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 pm

He is still young. Wonder if he will find his way to a better career. I think he could be a solid reserve if he shot less or more efficiently and looked to set guys up more. Kind of rare for a guard who is a coaches son to be bad at free throws.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#106 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:05 am

Galloisdaman wrote:He is still young. Wonder if he will find his way to a better career. I think he could be a solid reserve if he shot less or more efficiently and looked to set guys up more. Kind of rare for a guard who is a coaches son to be bad at free throws.

Twitter is interesting, half hate him, half think he'd be a good pickup, esp for minimum wage.

Leaving out the Wiz mess--and he was bad, very bad there, but that whole deal there is dysfunctional--last year he shot 42%/38%, and was over 40% on 3s for much of the season. His asst/TO ratio was better than 2-to-1, which is all you can really ask from a combo guard. And although advanced stats have never been kind to him, he had really great analytics on catch-and-shoot and on isos.

Those are the high points. 15 ppg is OK for a marginal NBA starter, which is what he's best at. Unfortunately for him, he's not been very effective off the bench. And it's safe to say that on a team that's failing with Wall and Beal, two all-star level guards, no coaching adjustments were made to accomodate Austin's strengths. I've watched a few of their games, and although Austin went in with the mindset to be a good soldier, the complementary guard they needed, that's not a skill he's yet to develop. He's always been a lead guard and it was only when he got to spread his wings a little last year that his numbers really came around.

I always liked him for the Sixers, especially when they had a hole at starting SG. It's no coincidence that Austin was set to take JJ's place here when JJ's price went up, and that JJ [@ $23M last year and $12.5M this year, same as Austin] is filling the 2 hole for the Sixers now. As an aside, JJ's playing great in Philly at 18 ppg, but at the moment his 3-pt shooting is down to 35%. And although many think Austin's defense has gone to hell, it's hard to argue JJ's is better.

When the Clips acquired him, Austin was one of the worst players [statistically] in NBA history. With the Wizz, he returned to the statistical pits. I really don't know if there's a place for him in the league, but he did work his asss off to finally become a useful player, although at the moment--esp with his 3-pt shooting circling the bowl--that's in serious question once again.

Still, he has playoff experience, and he's got attitude. He's worth a flyer for one of the fetus teams like the Wolves and even the Sixers. He's still only 26. Y'know, he's made almost $50M in this game without really accomplishing much, but unlike a lot of dogs in this game, Austin still has the eye of the tiger and a chip on his shoulder.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#107 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:14 am

wco81 wrote:Looks like Suns bought him out, even though they could use a ball handler, though he’s not a playmaker.

Good thing for Clippers fans that Doc isn’t GM.

Good thing for our board. It's bad enough without him around anymore even with a winning record. :roll:
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#108 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:01 pm

The Grizz are reportedly going to sign Austin. He does have some physical skills. Maybe he can be late bloomer and figure things out like Billips or Lowry? I do not think the Clips should sign him manly because I think it puts both the father and son in a awkward position. It is hard to coach a son in amateur sports. Imagine doing it at the pro level with millions of dollars and fans.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#109 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:The Grizz are reportedly going to sign Austin. He does have some physical skills. Maybe he can be late bloomer and figure things out like Billips or Lowry? I do not think the Clips should sign him manly because I think it puts both the father and son in a awkward position. It is hard to coach a son in amateur sports. Imagine doing it at the pro level with millions of dollars and fans.

The irony is that Austin was traded partly or even mostly because he was redundant. But Avery still stinks and Pat's still short. And the nepotism rap hasn't gone anywhere. In fact, Austin never stank to the degree Avery has.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#110 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:The Grizz are reportedly going to sign Austin. He does have some physical skills. Maybe he can be late bloomer and figure things out like Billips or Lowry? I do not think the Clips should sign him manly because I think it puts both the father and son in a awkward position. It is hard to coach a son in amateur sports. Imagine doing it at the pro level with millions of dollars and fans.

The irony is that Austin was traded partly or even mostly because he was redundant. But Avery still stinks and Pat's still short. And the nepotism rap hasn't gone anywhere. In fact, Austin never stank to the degree Avery has.

I don't think Doc plays favorites. He needs to win as a coach. That doesn't mean he (or any coach) never makes mistakes but its not out of favoritism. He won't risk his job and reputation to play guys he likes more. Avery and Bev and Milo's have all had issues. Its not like the team is sitting on Westbrook or Curry. Who should they play? Sadly guard is not the only weakness. Last game they had 0 points from the starting center as well. The team needs better play. Right now too much is on Harris, Gallo, and to some extent SGA.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Junior vs. the Dragon 

Post#111 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:48 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
wco81
RealGM

Post#112 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 pm

So Austin has been doing podcasts for The Ringer every other week, talking about life in the NBA as a role player.

Now Bill Simmons has him on his latest podcast, talking a bit about trying to get a contract over the summer -- I think he's still unsigned. Also about playing with Jokic and Ant Edwards.

Then talk about his opinions of whether top NBA prospects should go to college as opposed to enter the NBA directly.

Simmons seems to think Rivers has wisdom to impart given his experience, since he gave Austin a podcast as well as have him on.

His affect though is intense, loud, speaks fast.

Well he never backed down as a player, yapped at opponents all the time. So maybe he's going to be similar in his media career.

He's played 11 seasons, about what you expect as the 10th pick of the draft. But says he's been in tough situations, like not getting any minutes when in high school and college, he was the man.

Probably could have earned more during his career but there's always inheritance money.

Who knows, maybe he gets a bigger media role somewhere like his father.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#113 » by esqtvd » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:22 am

wco81 wrote:So Austin has been doing podcasts for The Ringer every other week, talking about life in the NBA as a role player.

Now Bill Simmons has him on his latest podcast, talking a bit about trying to get a contract over the summer -- I think he's still unsigned. Also about playing with Jokic and Ant Edwards.

Then talk about his opinions of whether top NBA prospects should go to college as opposed to enter the NBA directly.

Simmons seems to think Rivers has wisdom to impart given his experience, since he gave Austin a podcast as well as have him on.

Well he never backed down as a player, yapped at opponents all the time. So maybe he's going to be similar in his media career.

He's played 11 seasons, about what you expect as the 10th pick of the draft. But says he's been in tough situations, like not getting any minutes when in high school and college, he was the man.

Probably could have earned more during his career but there's always inheritance money.

THE definition of "journeyman." Got 11 years in the NBA, qualified for his pension, made $50M, and out of the league by age 30. Not bad for a failure. May we all fail so well.

Doc was scapegoated for the failure of Lob City. And his [only slight IMO] favoritism toward Austin was part of it.

Yes, CP and BG thought Doc wasn't as hard on Austin as he was on the other players. OTOH, Austin was a bust when the Clips traded fellow bust Reggie Bullock and an undisclosed amount of trash for him. Austin came into the NBA as a lottery pick [#10] and was a complete disaster with NOLA, who drafted him. And I don't feel like looking it up, but I bet he was a disaster off the court too.

What Austin needed was positive re-inforcement, and his dad gave it to him, and Austin DID become a legit NBA rotation player here on the Clippers. When Doc was finally obliged to dump him because of team and organizational politics, Austin was averaging 15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting and a career-high 4 apg.

Oh yeah, we got Gortat in return. LOL. Dumped later in mid-season. Marcin, bless his heart, was one of the worst Clippers ever.

Doc is a dead issue. Long gone. I'm talking about Austin Rivers here:

I don't think Austin ever enjoyed a day he played in the NBA. He was handed a job, he took it, was paid an insane amount of money to do it, and now that the money's in the bank, I bet he's enjoying this 30,000-foot level looking down on it all and commenting and sharing his inside knowledge of how the game works. How The Game works.

Austin Rivers can still get out on an NBA floor and be completely adequate, neither helping nor hurting you, which is better than 50% of the people drawing NBA salaries. Make me an offer. The NBA minimum still pays more than doing podcasts with Bill Simmons. :lol:

I'm not trying to revive the Doc Rivers wars. PLEASE. It is what it is. Austin never took minutes from anybody more deserving on the Clippers. He even played well sometimes, and if he didn't earn his paycheck--which came in the weird paycheck inflation summer of 2016*--he never cheated us either.

Austin seems happier now than I've ever seen him. He is finally able to be who he is, not what everyone expects him to be. Mazel tov.

IMO, this SHOULD be the most iconic image in Clipper history. It's a shame so much baggage is attached.

General Manager
And1: 4,194

Post#114 » by ejftw » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm

Austin was one of the first players that got the hype due to social media/highlights that he shouldn't have as he wasn't that good to live up to those expectations.

Then, throw in the nepotism arguments, and it's easy to see why he got so much hate.

But the dude had effort and heart, always gave it his all and I thought was one of the better guards at getting to the rim. Now, once he gets there, he didn't know what to do :lol:

In either case, he's a better end of bench guy than, say, an Amir Coffey, Giannis lil bros, etc.
Agent13
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#115 » by Agent13 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:06 am

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Post#116 » by donemilio21 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:33 am

**** man. I saw the topic title, didn't look at the date and almost had a heart attack. :D
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,024

Post#117 » by clipperlover » Mon Oct 2, 2023 9:40 pm

esqtvd wrote:
wco81 wrote:So Austin has been doing podcasts for The Ringer every other week, talking about life in the NBA as a role player.

THE definition of "journeyman." Got 11 years in the NBA, qualified for his pension, made $50M, and out of the league by age 30. Not bad for a failure. May we all fail so well.

Doc was scapegoated for the failure of Lob City. And his [only slight IMO] favoritism toward Austin was part of it.

Yes, CP and BG thought Doc wasn't as hard on Austin as he was on the other players. OTOH, Austin was a bust when the Clips traded fellow bust Reggie Bullock and an undisclosed amount of trash for him. Austin came into the NBA as a lottery pick [#10] and was a complete disaster with NOLA, who drafted him. And I don't feel like looking it up, but I bet he was a disaster off the court too.

What Austin needed was positive re-inforcement, and his dad gave it to him, and Austin DID become a legit NBA rotation player here on the Clippers. When Doc was finally obliged to dump him because of team and organizational politics, Austin was averaging 15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting and a career-high 4 apg.

Oh yeah, we got Gortat in return. LOL. Dumped later in mid-season. Marcin, bless his heart, was one of the worst Clippers ever.

I don't think Austin ever enjoyed a day he played in the NBA. He was handed a job, he took it, was paid an insane amount of money to do it, and now that the money's in the bank, I bet he's enjoying this 30,000-foot level looking down on it all and commenting and sharing his inside knowledge of how the game works. How The Game works.

Austin Rivers can still get out on an NBA floor and be completely adequate, neither helping nor hurting you, which is better than 50% of the people drawing NBA salaries. Make me an offer. The NBA minimum still pays more than doing podcasts with Bill Simmons. :lol:

I'm not trying to revive the Doc Rivers wars. PLEASE. It is what it is. Austin never took minutes from anybody more deserving on the Clippers. He even played well sometimes, and if he didn't earn his paycheck--which came in the weird paycheck inflation summer of 2016*--he never cheated us either.

Austin seems happier now than I've ever seen him. He is finally able to be who he is, not what everyone expects him to be. Mazel tov.

IMO, this SHOULD be the most iconic image in Clipper history. It's a shame so much baggage is attached.

Come on now. Let's make sure we tell the correct history.

1. Silver Spoon was on his way to being cut and available on a 10 day contract. Instead,the Clippers unnecessarily traded assets to obtain Spoon.

The only person that benefited was Spoon. We traded Bullock, Douglas-Roberts and a 2nd round pick to obtain a guy that was going to be cut by Boston. Spoon's Daddy couldn't live with that embarrassment, so he overpaid.

January 15, 2015: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Boston Celtics to the Los Angeles Clippers; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Chris Douglas-Roberts and a 2017 2nd round draft pick (Jabari Bird was later selected) to the Boston Celtics; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Reggie Bullock to the Phoenix Suns; and the Phoenix Suns traded Shavlik Randolph to the Boston Celtics.

July 13, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Because the Clippers traded for him, he was able to have Bird Rights and then they were able to overpay for him in the Summer of 2015 rather than signing him for the proper minimum salary. He was paid 3 times more than he would have received by getting the minimum at the time (~$1M).

2. Spoon made more in his 2016 contract than T Mann makes now. Because he was WAY overpaid, there were secondary impacts to the other people on the roster, so we had to overpay for them also.

It was bad enough Spoon's dad was giving him unearned time over other players, but overpaying him had impacts to the salary cap.

If Spoon had been signed to a 10 day contract and earned his playing time, then most fans could have stomached it. His undeserved over payment and playing time ruined team morale.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,024

Post#118 » by clipperlover » Mon Oct 2, 2023 9:52 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Gortat was a totally issue. Clips had the chance to get Gortat in 2014 when we needed a backup C and he was still valuable. Doc and the dumbass Gentry overvalued career bench player Redick and the Stay-Puft-SF Dudley. Suns gave away Gortat in the Okafor trade a couple months later. A month after we traded Butler in the Redick, Bledose, Stay-Puft deal, the Suns gave away Butler to the Bucks.

Because we didn't get Gortat in the Bledsoe trade, we ended up signing Byron Mullens as the backup C. We traded him for a conditional 2nd round pick that we never got and he has never played in the league again.

Just goes to show how terrible the front office decision making was.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#119 » by esqtvd » Mon Oct 2, 2023 11:24 pm

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

1. Silver Spoon was on his way to being cut and available on a 10 day contract. Instead,the Clippers unnecessarily traded assets to obtain Spoon.

The only person that benefited was Spoon. We traded Bullock, Douglas-Roberts and a 2nd round pick to obtain a guy that was going to be cut by Boston. Spoon's Daddy couldn't live with that embarrassment, so he overpaid.

January 15, 2015: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Boston Celtics to the Los Angeles Clippers; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Chris Douglas-Roberts and a 2017 2nd round draft pick (Jabari Bird was later selected) to the Boston Celtics; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Reggie Bullock to the Phoenix Suns; and the Phoenix Suns traded Shavlik Randolph to the Boston Celtics.

Because the Clippers traded for him, he was able to have Bird Rights and then they were able to overpay for him in the Summer of 2015 rather than signing him for the proper minimum salary. He was paid 3 times more than he would have received by getting the minimum at the time (~$1M).

2. Spoon made more in his 2016 contract than T Mann makes now. Because he was WAY overpaid, there were secondary impacts to the other people on the roster, so we had to overpay for them also.

It was bad enough Spoon's dad was giving him unearned time over other players, but overpaying him had impacts to the salary cap.

If Spoon had been signed to a 10 day contract and earned his playing time, then most fans could have stomached it. His undeserved over payment and playing time ruined team morale.

Nice story for Rivers haters. Little of it is true, though.

Austin didn't affect the salary cap--the Clippers were capped out in that crazy summer of 2016--where EVERYBODY got overpaid. The Clippers could only re-sign their own free agents. It was either pay the overpriced market rate for Jamal and Austin or fill the roster with whoever was available at the NBA minimum. He averaged 12 ppg on 44%/37% shooting that year, and didn't take minutes from anybody. The next best guard was the forgettable Raymond Felton, who still got 21 minutes a game.

As for Bullock, he was useless. He ended up playing 11 games for the Suns, averaged 0.4 points a game, and was dumped for a second-rounder on the Pistons. Austin was far more useful to the Clippers. He even averaged 15 points a game his last year here.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 469

Post#120 » by Chronz » Tue Oct 3, 2023 12:37 am

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Nice story for Rivers haters. Little of it is true, though.

Austin didn't affect the salary cap--the Clippers were capped out in that crazy summer of 2016--where EVERYBODY got overpaid. The Clippers could only re-sign their own free agents. It was either pay the overpriced market rate for Jamal and Austin or fill the roster with whoever was available at the NBA minimum. He averaged 12 ppg on 44%/37% shooting that year, and didn't take minutes from anybody. The next best guard was the forgettable Raymond Felton, who still got 21 minutes a game.

As for Bullock, he was useless. He ended up playing 11 games for the Suns, averaged 0.4 points a game, and was dumped for a second-rounder on the Pistons. Austin was far more useful to the Clippers. He even averaged 15 points a game his last year here.

His ortg was never above league average so who gives a **** about his percentages especially how open teams left him.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers