Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Re: Russ is Back 

Post#22 » by og15 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 6:28 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
Well I was wrong, I thought a few more teams would jump at the opportunity to sign him. If I was Washington, or Chicago, i would have pulled the trigger for 10-12 million per season. But having him for 4 million per season is a great deal, and if something happens is an affordable cut bait signing. But I think he will be an amazing leader, energy guy the next couple of years and the rest of the players on the team love him. He can also opt out next year if he doesnt like the situation. Russ/Harden would be fun again as a unit. They were great together in OKC. They only lost to one of the best teams of all time in the Heat.

Maybe Chicago was the only other team interested but DC is going in another direction. All the point guard positions are pretty much filled plus teams want to develop and play the next generation. Glad Russ is back. Wish we had more money for him. Still need to move Morris and either Norm, Coffey, or RoCo. Need less of a log jam at wings this year and with Russ back I don't see the need to go after Harden

I dont feel bad for him 4 million dollars and living in LA. I could only dream. Yes, we need to move a few players but I dont think that many teams are interested in our overpaid mediocre front line.
Like I posted in the general board, this was a "forced" hometown discount. I say forced in quotations because he wants to be in LA, but it's also real because there was no larger contract he could sign with the Clippers.

The Clippers obviously have no cap space (LOL) and don't have exceptions to use for free agent signing, not even the tax payer exception because the team is above the second apron and using the tax payer exception (which can give a starting salary of $5 million) would hard cap a team at second apron which is $182 million. Clippers would be over that amount, so it's not even available.

Clippers had no bird rights on Westbrook because they didn't trade for him, he was signed as a free agent, you need 2 years for early bird and three years for full bird.

As a non bird rights FA, the maximum the Clippers could offer was 120% of last seasons salary (minimum pro-rated), which is what they gave him. The player option in year two allows him to opt out as an Early Bird FA and then he would be eligible for a salary starting at a max of I think somewhere between $13-14 million if both sides decide it is good. Can't be more again because the Clippers are nor going to have cap space. So the contract wasn't a case of altruism, it was a case of this is the only way it works. A guy that has made $300+ million is probably not going to collapse at the thought of making $4 million to live where he wants, especially since he has other endorsements and such.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,955

Post#23 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:46 am

It wouldn't be unfair to say this is Russ's team now. PG made a stab at it, but Kawhi does what's best for Kawhi. And they're both signed only for this year. Ty too.

Signing for TWO years for the veterans' MINIMUM, Russ has the most skin in the Clippers' game now. At 35 years old in November, this is his last rodeo.

LA Clippers in review: The beating heart of LA, Russell Westbrook

https://clipperholics.com/2023/07/03/la-clippers-review-beating-heart-la-russell-westbrook/

After Leonard’s unexpected injury, Westbrook, despite being the shortest-tenured Clipper, emerged as the true leader. He made up for his abysmal shooting in game one with a scoring showdown in the next three games: he logged 28, 30 and 37 points consecutively.

Moreover, Westbrook flipped the switch once the postseason turned the corner. Despite losing in five games to Phoenix, the two-time scoring champion posted 23.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 7.6 assists. He also shot 41.0% from the field, 35.7% from three, and 88.0% from the line.

With the team’s two superstars sidelined, Westbrook and the Clippers did come up short in five games against the Suns. But even in a short-lived run, it didn’t take long for the nine-time All-Star to win the hearts of Clippers’ fans.

KL and PG aren't very vocal, but Russ is, and now he has the right to call out anyone and everyone.

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#24 » by og15 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:54 pm

esqtvd wrote:It wouldn't be unfair to say this is Russ's team now. PG made a stab at it, but Kawhi does what's best for Kawhi. And they're both signed only for this year. Ty too.

Signing for TWO years for the veterans' MINIMUM, Russ has the most skin in the Clippers' game now. At 35 years old in November, this is his last rodeo.

https://clipperholics.com/2023/07/03/la-clippers-review-beating-heart-la-russell-westbrook/

After Leonard’s unexpected injury, Westbrook, despite being the shortest-tenured Clipper, emerged as the true leader. He made up for his abysmal shooting in game one with a scoring showdown in the next three games: he logged 28, 30 and 37 points consecutively.

Moreover, Westbrook flipped the switch once the postseason turned the corner. Despite losing in five games to Phoenix, the two-time scoring champion posted 23.6 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 7.6 assists. He also shot 41.0% from the field, 35.7% from three, and 88.0% from the line.

With the team’s two superstars sidelined, Westbrook and the Clippers did come up short in five games against the Suns. But even in a short-lived run, it didn’t take long for the nine-time All-Star to win the hearts of Clippers’ fans.

KL and PG aren't very vocal, but Russ is, and now he has the right to call out anyone and everyone.

If true, we'll also find out whether it is a good thing or not. At $4 million it's a zero risk move. Many times players acquired later in a season off the waiver can have a honeymoon period, then when one has them through the ups and downs of a whole season, there's a little less grace shown by fans. We'll see if him and the team and coaching are able to really hone down a consistent role and expectation that maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses as much as possible.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#25 » by Ballings7 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:00 pm

esqtvd wrote:It wouldn't be unfair to say this is Russ's team now. PG made a stab at it, but Kawhi does what's best for Kawhi. And they're both signed only for this year. Ty too.

Generally agree with this - Russ' has built up his clout with the org. pretty well and quickly.. I think as long as he still has enough of the balance as a personality and player, and the level of humbleness he showed, there won't really be much issues.

Love his passion for the game.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#26 » by Clemenza » Tue Jul 4, 2023 4:58 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
Well I was wrong, I thought a few more teams would jump at the opportunity to sign him. If I was Washington, or Chicago, i would have pulled the trigger for 10-12 million per season. But having him for 4 million per season is a great deal, and if something happens is an affordable cut bait signing. But I think he will be an amazing leader, energy guy the next couple of years and the rest of the players on the team love him. He can also opt out next year if he doesnt like the situation. Russ/Harden would be fun again as a unit. They were great together in OKC. They only lost to one of the best teams of all time in the Heat.

Maybe Chicago was the only other team interested but DC is going in another direction. All the point guard positions are pretty much filled plus teams want to develop and play the next generation. Glad Russ is back. Wish we had more money for him. Still need to move Morris and either Norm, Coffey, or RoCo. Need less of a log jam at wings this year and with Russ back I don't see the need to go after Harden

I dont feel bad for him 4 million dollars and living in LA. I could only dream. Yes, we need to move a few players but I dont think that many teams are interested in our overpaid mediocre front line.

Low key and behind closed doors I think Ballmer will do some business with Russ down the line if he hasn't already. From what I hear he's got several car dealerships in LA and just started a digital advertising company called RWE, the "E" for enterprises. We didn't hear Russ complaining or any haggling over a few extra millions or anything like that during free agency. The signing was quick and easy. Plumlee was the one holding out for more money for example. There's some handshake extra incentives going on for Russ which is a good thing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#27 » by og15 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 6:04 pm

Clemenza wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Maybe Chicago was the only other team interested but DC is going in another direction. All the point guard positions are pretty much filled plus teams want to develop and play the next generation. Glad Russ is back. Wish we had more money for him. Still need to move Morris and either Norm, Coffey, or RoCo. Need less of a log jam at wings this year and with Russ back I don't see the need to go after Harden

Low key and behind closed doors I think Ballmer will do some business with Russ down the line if he hasn't already. From what I hear he's got several car dealerships in LA and just started a digital advertising company called RWE, the "E" for enterprises. We didn't hear Russ complaining or any haggling over a few extra millions or anything like that during free agency. The signing was quick and easy. Plumlee was the one holding out for more money for example. There's some handshake extra incentives going on for Russ which is a good thing.

Read my post above, there was no haggling to be done, this was the max contract the Clippers could give him, he has an agent, they know how the CBA works. A no -birds rights player re-signing with a team over the second apron can only get a max of 120% of his last seasons salary, there's no wiggle around it since the Clippers don't have any exceptions they can use.

If he wanted to stay with the Clippers, which he did, and it's both a basketball and lifestyle decision, this was the maximum contract possible. Westbrook has made $300 million+ in his career from just NBA contracts, he has shoe contracts and he has other endorsements, Ballmer doesn't need to risk doing anything extra, it would be foolish and unnecessary.

Plumlee on the other hand who was traded for, Clippers had his bird rights and therefore could have given him a lot more. Plumlee has only been on two teams his whole career where contending was even a consideration. He took less money to stay, and his max contract could be a lot higher, hence him and the Clippers had to negotiate how much they are willing to spend and get dinged with luxury tax payments and how much of a cut he was willing to take.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#28 » by Vae Victus » Tue Jul 4, 2023 8:03 pm

I still want the Clips to go hard for Harden. Use the expirings of Morris, RoCo, and Batum, and fork over at most 2 future protected FRPs (at min 1-6 prot, pref full lotto).

C - Zubac (24), Plumlee (24), Diabate
PF- Kawhi (30), KJM (18), Diabate
SF- PG13 (30), Mann (18), Coffey
SG- Harden (20), Powell (28), Boston Jr
PG- Westy (26), Harden (10), Bones (12), Preston

This lineup assume Westy is hellbent on starting, then we stagger Harden as the primary PG when Westy sits. No one should be playing more than 30 mins as the team is deep as all hell. Also will make it easy to load manage 1 player at any time as the team is deep enough to let backups get more PT as mins get juggled.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#29 » by clipperlover » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:09 pm

Every move they make is going to have 1 goal in mind: Hanging the first NBA Championship banner in Clippers franchise history when the Intuit Dome opens.

Won't matter who is on the roster when the stadium opens if they open by hanging a banner.

Would be quite sweet to have the 1st banner in franchise history hung in L.A.'s newest arena with the key players to that title having ties to the L.A./SoCal area.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Post#30 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 5:47 pm

clipperlover wrote:Every move they make is going to have 1 goal in mind: Hanging the first NBA Championship banner in Clippers franchise history when the Intuit Dome opens.

Won't matter who is on the roster when the stadium opens if they open by hanging a banner.

Would be quite sweet to have the 1st banner in franchise history hung in L.A.'s newest arena with the key players to that title having ties to the L.A./SoCal area.

If we were to get Harden (Roco, Morris, Mann going out) , and assuming an 9 man rotation of Russ, Harden, PG13, Kawhi, Zubac, Plumlee, KMJ, Powell, Batum, we'd have 6 players born and raised in SoCal.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#31 » by og15 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 7:16 pm

Vae Victus wrote:I still want the Clips to go hard for Harden. Use the expirings of Morris, RoCo, and Batum, and fork over at most 2 future protected FRPs (at min 1-6 prot, pref full lotto).

This lineup assume Westy is hellbent on starting, then we stagger Harden as the primary PG when Westy sits. No one should be playing more than 30 mins as the team is deep as all hell. Also will make it easy to load manage 1 player at any time as the team is deep enough to let backups get more PT as mins get juggled.

If I'm Philly GM, why am I even making this trade though? Let's just think of it from the perspective of if it was the Clippers who had Harden and a team offered that, what in the world would make me want to take that?

Not even including Mann or any young player, just forwards that the Clippers basically won't need and the Sixers themselves won't need. It's a really sad offer, let's be real here :lol: :lol:
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#32 » by Vae Victus » Wed Jul 5, 2023 8:06 pm

og15 wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:I still want the Clips to go hard for Harden. Use the expirings of Morris, RoCo, and Batum, and fork over at most 2 future protected FRPs (at min 1-6 prot, pref full lotto).

If I'm Philly GM, why am I even making this trade though? Let's just think of it from the perspective of if it was the Clippers who had Harden and a team offered that, what in the world would make me want to take that?

Not even including Mann or any young player, just forwards that the Clippers basically won't need and the Sixers themselves won't need. It's a really sad offer, let's be real here :lol: :lol:

Youre right, im being too greedy. I just dont see any other good team willing to offer up anything significant at a huge risk of Harden being a malcontent, LAC otoh is desperate enough to roll the dice.

Powell, Morris, and 1 top 6 protected future FRP

If that doesnt get it done, then just move on and wait until Harden wrecks that team's chemistry even more.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 5, 2023 11:54 pm

og15 wrote:

thank you

and it all starts with Ballmer who won't even part with Mann, the only decent thing in the whole proposed package
I think he's the one killing all these deals
there is no plan
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:38 pm

to know him is to love him

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:30 pm

'Because we’ve never had a leader and he’s our leader.’

Good News For LA Clippers Fans? | Head Coach Tyronn Lue Sets A New Path For Russell Westbrook As Official “Leader” Of The Clippers

While Russ isn’t the player he once was, he’s still very good, and that’s not much money, but Arenas says Lue explained why he still signed.

“He said, ‘We gave him everything we had. He didn’t wanna go nowhere. And we are glad he didn’t. Because we’ve never had a leader and he’s our leader.’

“Think about the perception around Westbrook, and Tyronn Lue said we finally have a leader on our team to push us forward.”

https://theshadowleague.com/he-is-our-leader-los-angeles-clippers-head-coach-tyronn-lue-raves-about-russell-westbrook-during-interview-with-gilbert-arenas/

ADD: good podcast about this

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#36 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 4, 2023 9:35 am

Read on Twitter
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,874

Post#37 » by Beethoven » Fri Sep 8, 2023 3:58 pm

I was one of the few, very few Russ proponents when he was on the Lakers. I'm more about character and work ethic than anything else in sports. He exudes that constantly. I was actually ambivalent when he left the team. I am so glad he is a huge part of this Clippers team. I said this in previous posts years ago, I'll go to war with this dude. If I had to choose someone it would be Russ.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#38 » by Clemenza » Sat Sep 9, 2023 6:12 am

esqtvd wrote:

Good News For LA Clippers Fans? | Head Coach Tyronn Lue Sets A New Path For Russell Westbrook As Official “Leader” Of The Clippers

While Russ isn’t the player he once was, he’s still very good, and that’s not much money, but Arenas says Lue explained why he still signed.

“He said, ‘We gave him everything we had. He didn’t wanna go nowhere. And we are glad he didn’t. Because we’ve never had a leader and he’s our leader.’

“Think about the perception around Westbrook, and Tyronn Lue said we finally have a leader on our team to push us forward.”

https://theshadowleague.com/he-is-our-leader-los-angeles-clippers-head-coach-tyronn-lue-raves-about-russell-westbrook-during-interview-with-gilbert-arenas/

Read on Twitter

We all know Russ is the leader now but still these "we finally have a leader on our team now" comments is not a good look for Kawhi & PG
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Sat Sep 9, 2023 7:26 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Read on Twitter

We all know Russ is the leader now but still these "we finally have a leader on our team now" comments is not a good look for Kawhi & PG

But that's what they wanted. They torpedoed T-Mann as a starter although they were winning and Mann was putting up career numbers.

Read on Twitter

Ballmer doesn't know whether to spit or go blind.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

You love to see it 

Post#40 » by Dynamix » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 pm

Return to Los Angeles Clippers