And1: 404

Re: 2023 Summer League Roster and Thread 

Post#21 » by wakelaunch1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:40 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:Havent seen one player I want getting minutes. lol

Hopefully they calm down. Dont even notice Brown

Below the rim Brown. SMH no lift

This team sucks. terrible draft evaluators. If this team was any good they would be dominating. Starting lineup is mostly Ontario. New players mediocre at best. The GM should have been fired along with Lue.

Oddly, I thought exactly the opposite. I thought for a first game, we looked pretty good. I mean, we basically lost because of poor foul shooting. And I thought the two “new” guys looked very good, especially considering they’ve had less than a week of court time with the roster. They looked kinda lost—to be expected—in the first half, but got it together in the second hald. That fourth quarter was a blast to watch, and Preston, Miller, and Brown were locked in pretty damn well. They were making smart plays and screening well. Brown only had two points, but he and Miller and Preston were all +5 for the quarter. Especially on help D and rotations (offensive and defensive), they played smart basketball—especially Brown and Miller.

I think it's important to wait until at least the second half of their first summer league game to make a judgment on a player.

I still feel the same way. Preston is not an NBA rotation player on an playoff team. He is a point guard on a team from the 80s. He doesnt have crazy handles, cant really create space or create his own shot. His defense is not good, and hes not an elite shooter.

Moon is a fun dleague, european league player.

Diabate is a great offensive rebounder but doesnt really have a ton of finishing moves around the rim. Still awkward as to what to do with the ball around the rim. Hes not strong enough to finish with contact.

Brown Im not completely sure but he is not explosive. Reminds me a lot of Morris.

Jordan im still unsure of. But he plays a position where we are loaded. Hes playing behind Kawhi, PG, Mann, Martin, Boston, Coffey.

lastly i dont think the Clippers offensive or defensive system helped anyone. Playing zone in summer league is one of the stupidest things i have ever seen. To play an effective zone, you have to have tons of practice. They basically let George go off with wide open shots.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:44 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:

Oddly, I thought exactly the opposite. I thought for a first game, we looked pretty good. I mean, we basically lost because of poor foul shooting. And I thought the two “new” guys looked very good, especially considering they’ve had less than a week of court time with the roster. They looked kinda lost—to be expected—in the first half, but got it together in the second hald. That fourth quarter was a blast to watch, and Preston, Miller, and Brown were locked in pretty damn well. They were making smart plays and screening well. Brown only had two points, but he and Miller and Preston were all +5 for the quarter. Especially on help D and rotations (offensive and defensive), they played smart basketball—especially Brown and Miller.

I think it's important to wait until at least the second half of their first summer league game to make a judgment on a player.

I still feel the same way. Preston is not an NBA rotation player on an playoff team. He is a point guard on a team from the 80s. He doesnt have crazy handles, cant really create space or create his own shot. His defense is not good, and hes not an elite shooter.

Moon is a fun dleague, european league player.

Diabate is a great offensive rebounder but doesnt really have a ton of finishing moves around the rim. Still awkward as to what to do with the ball around the rim. Hes not strong enough to finish with contact.

Brown Im not completely sure but he is not explosive. Reminds me a lot of Morris.

Jordan im still unsure of. But he plays a position where we are loaded. Hes playing behind Kawhi, PG, Mann, Martin, Boston, Coffey.

lastly i dont think the Clippers offensive or defensive system helped anyone. Playing zone in summer league is one of the stupidest things i have ever seen. To play an effective zone, you have to have tons of practice. They basically let George go off with wide open shots.

Well this is amusing after all the abuse I've taken for calling our G-Leaguers G-Leaguers. :wink:

It would be nice to hit the 30th pick or a second-rounder, but the odds are against it. But since Utah had already played 3 games and the Clippers zero, they were bound to look bad regardless.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,187

Post#23 » by Bobbymcgee » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:31 pm

Hard for me to get excited about the Clippers young guys since they hardly get minutes during the regular season. I can't tell if its because they suck or because Lue just doesn't give them a chance to play.

I would be interested to see some of these guys play on a young team where they get minutes just to see if they are actually good players or not. Or at least get some time to develop by actually playing.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,783

Post#24 » by KL2 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:54 am

Put Brown in the post and let him go to work.

I like Morgan. Depending on the other 2-way options I wouldn’t mind him getting one of them.

Brown with that nasty dunk. Steal and 3. Nice.

Bowden showing some nice things too.

2-way contracts will be interesting.
KL2
Analyst

Post#25 » by KL2 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 am

Read on Twitter

PG with high praise for Brown.

Shout out Moon, Diabate, and Preston too.
wakelaunch1
Pro Prospect
And1: 404

Post#26 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:08 am

Preston is just out there, not doing much. I would not sign him. Let him find work in Europe. He needs more playmaking skills. He is literally just out there to pass. Not gonna fly in the NBA

What a shot by Moon at the end of the clock. Moon is the star of the game by far. excellent play.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 535

Post#27 » by Kelphus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:38 am

Missed the game, but who is J. Bowden - 17 minutes, 7 of 9 for 18 points and a +19?

Those are pretty ok numbers

much to like about Xavier Moon - who in 29 minutes was 6 for 12 for 18 points, 4 steals, 6 assists, and 5 boards.. and a +11.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:37 am

KL2 wrote:Put Brown in the post and let him go to work.

I like Morgan. Depending on the other 2-way options I wouldn’t mind him getting one of them.

Brown with that nasty dunk. Steal and 3. Nice.

Bowden showing some nice things too.

2-way contracts will be interesting.

FYI teams get 3 two-ways under the new CBA
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,596

Post#29 » by og15 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:00 pm

Kelphus wrote:Missed the game, but who is J. Bowden - 17 minutes, 7 of 9 for 18 points and a +19?

Those are pretty ok numbers

much to like about Xavier Moon - who in 29 minutes was 6 for 12 for 18 points, 4 steals, 6 assists, and 5 boards.. and a +11.

Sadly summer league is just a glorified scrimmage and the statistics gathered give very little information about players real value.

So it ends up being about evaluating specific skills and abilities and seeing who you want to bring back for more evaluation or what guys need to work on.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,442

Post#30 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:47 pm

og15 wrote:Sadly summer league is just a glorified scrimmage and the statistics gathered give very little information about players real value.

So it ends up being about evaluating specific skills and abilities and seeing who you want to bring back for more evaluation or what guys need to work on.

This. And because summer league rosters are thrown together and have little practice or strategy time, you find out very little about how good of a team player a guy is. Summer league teams have almost no defensive planning and little in the way of planned offense either. Players that put up "good" offensive numbers are usually doing it in a hero ball context, showing off physical skills that could be nullified by good defensive rotations and simple practice. It's why low rotation players that go off in game 82 rarely can duplicate it in a real regular season game.

But you can see some things. Preston, for instance, has legit NBA starter court vision and passing skills. But he's average at best in a couple of different areas, and looks like a big minus in others. I don't think the passing alone is enough. Too bad.

Xavier Moon is a guy who can get hot and really set things on fire offensively. But he's lacking physically and doesn't seem to play well within a structure.

Brown and Miller seem to "get it" more than those guys. They know how to play decent D even without a system; they seem to work off screens and move without the ball well on offense. If they have enough raw physical skills and are willing to keep learning--sure, they could be rotation players (albeit low ones) in their rookie years. That's what it looks like to me, at least.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:03 am

TrueLAfan wrote:
Brown and Miller seem to "get it" more than those guys. They know how to play decent D even without a system; they seem to work off screens and move without the ball well on offense. If they have enough raw physical skills and are willing to keep learning--sure, they could be rotation players (albeit low ones) in their rookie years. That's what it looks like to me, at least.

Yeah, I liked Diabate from last year's summer league because he was always in the right place on the floor. Unfortunately, he's a smallish 6'10" and skinny at 210 and can't shoot. Otherwise he's perfect.

Hopefully these new guys have better NBA skills and bodies. We even have skills enough already. We need good bodies with just enough brains not to get us killed out there.
KL2
Analyst

Post#32 » by KL2 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:49 pm

Brown with another solid start. 3 ball looks smooth. A little polish needed around the basket but more than capable. Active hands.

Castaneda reminds me a bit of Barea.

Bowden showing out again.

I know I’m a broken record but the 2-way contract situation will be interesting. Some new blood would be welcomed.
KL2
Analyst

Post#33 » by KL2 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:47 pm

Second quarter was sloppy and carried over into the 3rd. Thankfully they righted the ship and got the win.

Brown continues to impress.

Miller is more active and does things I feel doesn’t show in the box score.

As for the others. I don’t envy the Clippers having to decide who the 2-way contracts go to.

Bowden, Thomas, and Castaneda are interesting. Some good stuff and then the warts you expect.

Lue had high praise for both Brown and Miller. They play the right way. Want them to have freedom but play the right way.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,305

Post#34 » by Clemenza » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:40 am

Give Xavier a spot on the roster already. He should be the third pg on the team and it fills a need instead of all the redundant wings we have layered up. Also Kobe Brown is starting to look like a really good pick for us
Clipp312s
Ballboy
And1: 59

Post#35 » by Clipp312s » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:08 am

Clemenza wrote:Give Xavier a spot on the roster already. He should be the third pg on the team and it fills a need instead of all the redundant wings we have layered up. Also Kobe Brown is starting to look like a really good pick for us

Agreed! Moon deserves a contract as a 3rd string at least, but doubt it happens. Kobe Brown has exceeded my expectations, he’s got good handles for a big, not afraid to shoot and decent defense w his long arms. Still not ready for rotational minutes by any means, but looking forward to him learning from Batum or Roco (if they stay). He’s got a lot of work ahead of him, but his base is pretty solid. Hope he shows out in game 4, just need to see a better shooting % because year 4 Kobe Brown shooting % looking like they could have been one off.

Wish we saw more in Preston, i like the kid and his court vision, but he’s likely not going to get a contract. He might not want to stay w Ontario either and looks for other opportunities.
Clipp312s
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Clipp312s » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:20 pm

Kobe Brown is doing exactly what I was hoping for in this last game before consolation.

22 pts, 6 rebs, 3 ast, 3 steals, 1 blk 57.1% from the field in 3 quarters??? oh man, what a game!

Let's try to get the win young fella! Moon has been a little off today.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Post#37 » by Dynamix » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:42 pm

I know it's just Summer League, but a rookie going off like that (7/10 3P!) is still a very welcome sight.
KL2
Analyst

Post#38 » by KL2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:53 pm

Brown and Miller are fun to watch.

Wallace clueless they needed a 3 to stay alive. Oh well.
Clipp312s
Ballboy

Post#39 » by Clipp312s » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Kobe Brown!!!

What a game, and a win!

35 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast, 4 stl, 2 blk, 68.4% FG, 70% 3PFG

I'm know it's only summer league, so trying not to get too excited, but that's a promising game for a rookie!!!
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Let it fly! 

Post#40 » by Dynamix » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers