ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME #46: LAC (30-15) @ WIZ (9-37) WED 1/31—4PM

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Re: GAME #46: LAC (30-15) @ WIZ (9-37) WED 1/31—4PM 

Post#21 » by Clemenza » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:46 am

Kawhi and Harden led the way like they supposed to. Coffey is a good sub for when a star is out and maybe Boston backing up Coffey might be a thing too if needed. Moon would probably have the 3rd stringers looking better than Bones who's not good at running point imo. I have a feeling PG sits out the Piston game as well. They're playing much better these days so we can't slack up and take them lightly at all.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 394

Post#22 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:45 am

Missed the game but listened to the last 6 minutes on the radio. After the last few games, seems like Bones is the worst garbage time teammate. Hes a chucker and doesnt make his teammates better. He also misses a ton of shots. I know hes being put in a difficult place but he still is constantly auditioning for the rest of his career. Wish he would actually take these minutes serious. I now question whether he should be in our long term plans and if he should ever be given a decent contract. Hes also killing his trade value.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#23 » by jengmann3 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:52 am

nickhx2 wrote:well, good win. nice to see harden step up with PG gone. been kinda wondering where he'd been the past couple weeks.

it might seem imperceptible to most people, but coffey's development into a really reliable rotation player is definitely a thing that is making a difference for us. every year you see the top teams with some random, end of bench guy who's doing a buncha solid stuff and you're like "how come WE never have that type of guy?" well, now we do, and come playoff time he might be a difference maker.

glad to see boston play well. kinda funny how his expectations went way up right away then cratered for pretty much, well, ever. if you were at a game with your kids you'd need to do some combination of covering their eyes and giving them hard hats whenever he shot the ball, since when he missed it'd be pretty ugly. so it's nice to see him have a decent game, and i'm sure it helps his confidence, too. i don't have a ton of hope he'll amount to an impact player for us but hey, who knows? still a chance!

Coffey is legit turning into one of my favorite players on the team. He's just been so reliable. That's my thing with role players. I get it's hard but you have to be reliable and try to make an impact. It's obvious Coffey will need to make open shots, attack closeouts on occasion and defend to the best of his abilities. He consistently does that.

Theis and Plumlee are a bit different. Sometimes they are true difference makers. Against Boston they were great. Both protected the rim a bit. Did some good things offensively. Then against the Cavs, they had no impact.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:43 am

jengmann3 wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:well, good win. nice to see harden step up with PG gone. been kinda wondering where he'd been the past couple weeks.

it might seem imperceptible to most people, but coffey's development into a really reliable rotation player is definitely a thing that is making a difference for us. every year you see the top teams with some random, end of bench guy who's doing a buncha solid stuff and you're like "how come WE never have that type of guy?" well, now we do, and come playoff time he might be a difference maker.

glad to see boston play well. kinda funny how his expectations went way up right away then cratered for pretty much, well, ever. if you were at a game with your kids you'd need to do some combination of covering their eyes and giving them hard hats whenever he shot the ball, since when he missed it'd be pretty ugly. so it's nice to see him have a decent game, and i'm sure it helps his confidence, too. i don't have a ton of hope he'll amount to an impact player for us but hey, who knows? still a chance!

Coffey is legit turning into one of my favorite players on the team. He's just been so reliable. That's my thing with role players. I get it's hard but you have to be reliable and try to make an impact. It's obvious Coffey will need to make open shots, attack closeouts on occasion and defend to the best of his abilities. He consistently does that.

Theis and Plumlee are a bit different. Sometimes they are true difference makers. Against Boston they were great. Both protected the rim a bit. Did some good things offensively. Then against the Cavs, they had no impact.

I'd like to know who's been the Coffey backer in the org. Or maybe they just got lucky. He's got an NBA body [6'7"], plays for cheap, can hit the occasional 3 and won't screw you up by blowing his defensive assignments. Learn to go stand in the right place and be tall. Everything they want from the G-Leaguers. Except the G-Leaguers are too green to give you what a guy who's been in the org 5 years can.

And now at almost-age 27, it's all starting to click for Amir. After skimming by on G-League/two-way wages, he's got a REAL contract and will finally walk away from the game as a millionaire. He doesn't have to open eyes and put up numbers. His only job now is to do his job.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,293

Post#25 » by playaloc916 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:15 am

esqtvd wrote:
jengmann3 wrote:

I'd like to know who's been the Coffey backer in the org. Or maybe they just got lucky. He's got an NBA body [6'7"], plays for cheap, can hit the occasional 3 and won't screw you up by blowing his defensive assignments. Learn to go stand in the right place and be tall. Everything they want from the G-Leaguers. Except the G-Leaguers are too green to give you what a guy who's been in the org 5 years can.

And now at almost-age 27, it's all starting to click for Amir. After skimming by on G-League/two-way wages, he's got a REAL contract and will finally walk away from the game as a millionaire. He doesn't have to open eyes and put up numbers. His only job now is to do his job.

Gotta agree with you guys. He became a really pleasant surprise when Ty suddenly put him in as a starter when PG was hurt earlier in the season. Prior to that, he was pretty much non-existent during garbage time. That and the off-season gun charge, I really thought it could have been the end of him being a rotation player.

My favorite thing about him is that he plays like he belongs. Has a similar physique as PG.
Nothing flashy about him, he just does what he's supposed to do. We know he's capable. We saw it last season when he was arguably the best player for small stretches (and lol at Kristina Pink slipping during that post game interview last season). Glad the team stuck with him.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Good guy Russ 

Post#26 » by Dynamix » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:37 am

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Re: Good guy Russ 

Post#27 » by donemilio21 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:42 pm

Dynamix wrote:

:D improvise
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Post#28 » by donemilio21 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:46 pm

I feel like Lue can try mixing some of the benchwarmers earlier when we have solid leads, rather than putting everyone in at once to play garbage time with 5 min left.
It would be beneficial to the team and the players to have Kobe, Bones or Boston Jr. play with Kawhi, PG and Harden more. any of these guys could have come in and have floor time with the starters/rotation players while we are up 15-20 in the 3rd.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#29 » by ERClips » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:48 pm

donemilio21 wrote:I feel like Lue can try mixing some of the benchwarmers earlier when we have solid leads, rather than putting everyone in at once to play garbage time with 5 min left.
It would be beneficial to the team and the players to have Kobe, Bones or Boston Jr. play with Kawhi, PG and Harden more. any of these guys could have come in and have floor time with the starters/rotation players while we are up 15-20 in the 3rd.

Problem with Bones is that he’s basically position-less if he’s not playing point guard. He was pretty good when running with our starters at the beginning of the season. Expectations are high when you have Kawhi & PG on either side of you. In garbage time he has been particularly bad. Never runs a set play and turns it over or fouls. BBJ to some extent too. But put him out there with our real guys and he falls in line.

Hate to tinker when we’re having such success & good vibes but I’m ok with shipping Bones and PJ if that’s all it takes to get a potential someone. We have enough to replace Bones if necessary.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Clemenza » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:43 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
jengmann3 wrote:

Gotta agree with you guys. He became a really pleasant surprise when Ty suddenly put him in as a starter when PG was hurt earlier in the season. Prior to that, he was pretty much non-existent during garbage time. That and the off-season gun charge, I really thought it could have been the end of him being a rotation player.

My favorite thing about him is that he plays like he belongs. Has a similar physique as PG.
Nothing flashy about him, he just does what he's supposed to do. We know he's capable. We saw it last season when he was arguably the best player for small stretches (and lol at Kristina Pink slipping during that post game interview last season). Glad the team stuck with him.

Yeah Coffey has had a hell of a trajectory and it's been fun to watch. And to think we thought he was toast and out the door when he had that horrible summer league stint three years ago. He definitely had a strong backer in the organization.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:50 pm

playaloc916 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
jengmann3 wrote:

The one thing about Coffey is even as a rookie, he could fill in a few minutes and not kill the team. That doesn't seem like much, but what gets most young players is not lack of production but making mistakes. He wasn't a high producer but was at least a credible threat from 3. Then we had that stretch in 2021/22 where he played really well and I think our expectations got a bit high (just like with Terance), but it's great to see him settling into a regular role now with our actual A-team.
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#32 » by KingCrimzzon » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:10 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:Missed the game but listened to the last 6 minutes on the radio. After the last few games, seems like Bones is the worst garbage time teammate. Hes a chucker and doesnt make his teammates better. He also misses a ton of shots. I know hes being put in a difficult place but he still is constantly auditioning for the rest of his career. Wish he would actually take these minutes serious. I now question whether he should be in our long term plans and if he should ever be given a decent contract. Hes also killing his trade value.

Bones definitely seems strange right now. The last few times out he seems like he's acting too cool for school and chucking half court 3s. He seems to be sulking that he's basically sitting on the bench right now. Problem is that he's not helping his cause if someone gets hurt to be the next guy up. I get the feeling they will probably ship him at the deadline (if anyone wants him).
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,154

Post#33 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:48 pm

I think the Clippers should send Bones down to the G-League at this point. Maybe call up Moon as the designated garbage time point guard. Probably should send Boston Jr. down there as well. What happened to Moussa? I would prefer him in garbage time too.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Clemenza » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:48 pm

KingCrimzzon wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:Missed the game but listened to the last 6 minutes on the radio. After the last few games, seems like Bones is the worst garbage time teammate. Hes a chucker and doesnt make his teammates better. He also misses a ton of shots. I know hes being put in a difficult place but he still is constantly auditioning for the rest of his career. Wish he would actually take these minutes serious. I now question whether he should be in our long term plans and if he should ever be given a decent contract. Hes also killing his trade value.

Bones definitely seems strange right now. The last few times out he seems like he's acting too cool for school and chucking half court 3s. He seems to be sulking that he's basically sitting on the bench right now. Problem is that he's not helping his cause if someone gets hurt to be the next guy up. I get the feeling they will probably ship him at the deadline (if anyone wants him).

The Lakers could use him badly.. A back up guard who can score. He would try to get back at us when we play the Lakers tho. Maybe the Wizards, Suns, or Warriors could give him a look. The coaching staff might be higher on Josh Primo at this point.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:24 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:I think the Clippers should send Bones down to the G-League at this point. Maybe call up Moon as the designated garbage time point guard. Probably should send Boston Jr. down there as well. What happened to Moussa? I would prefer him in garbage time too.

Moussa broke his hand January 4.

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/la-clippers-player-suffers-fractured-hand
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#36 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:12 pm

KingCrimzzon wrote:

Hes given the keys with 30 point leads in several games over the past month and he shoots a terrible percentage, makes wild passes, doesnt set up his teammates. last night against scrubs, our lead when from 29 to 16 in like 6 minutes. Same thing happened in Boston and a few other games. He was good with Russ earlier in the season but when he is the lead ball handler, he is a hot mess. Hes not a point guard.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#37 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#38 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:59 pm

ERClips wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:I feel like Lue can try mixing some of the benchwarmers earlier when we have solid leads, rather than putting everyone in at once to play garbage time with 5 min left.

Problem with Bones is that he’s basically position-less if he’s not playing point guard. He was pretty good when running with our starters at the beginning of the season. Expectations are high when you have Kawhi & PG on either side of you. In garbage time he has been particularly bad. Never runs a set play and turns it over or fouls. BBJ to some extent too. But put him out there with our real guys and he falls in line.

Hate to tinker when we’re having such success & good vibes but I’m ok with shipping Bones and PJ if that’s all it takes to get a potential someone. We have enough to replace Bones if necessary.

The problem with Bones is that he is a younger, smaller Jamal Crawford that doesn't shoot as well. He in small and isn't a good defender. His inability to defend probably makes him unplayable alongside Kawhi and PG because they aren't going to be covering down for him. I have no long term expectations for him. If the Clips traded him before the deadline, I am not losing any sleep. Does anyone really miss Luke Kennard?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#39 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:00 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's lock down that #1 spot by the break and let Ty coach the All-Star game
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#40 » by wakelaunch1 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 4:22 pm

Clemenza wrote:
KingCrimzzon wrote:

The Lakers could use him badly.. A back up guard who can score. He would try to get back at us when we play the Lakers tho. Maybe the Wizards, Suns, or Warriors could give him a look. The coaching staff might be higher on Josh Primo at this point.

at best he is a second round pick. he hasnt helped his trade value or garnering playing time.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers