ImageImageImageImageImage

Game #16: NUGGETS (10-6) @ LAC (7-8) MON 11/27—7:30 PM, NBA-TV

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Re: Game #16: NUGGETS (10-6) @ LAC (7-8) MON 11/27—7:30 PM, NBA-TV 

Post#81 » by Clemenza » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:44 am

esqtvd wrote:Outscored 24-8 in the 4th quarter after leading by 11 after 3 quarters. I'm not even gonna go to Kawhi and PG choking in Game 7 vs the Nuggets.

Ty tried every combination but they all ate donkey dink. Forget "adjustments." You can't score only 8 points in the 4th quarter and win. Coach can't call plays like the NFL. This is the NBA. One man can score 20 points in a quarter. Give me the ball and get out of the way.

It's these players. They're just too rich, too fat, or too old to give a spit. Kawhi has his rings, and the rest have learned to live without one.

It's not that they don't care. It's that they just don't CARE. It's just a job now. But Ballmer is out of roster options now unless he wants to give away our 2030 FIRST ROUND PICK. [If that's even legal.]

It's not that Ty can't straighten this out. It's that NOBODY can straighten this out. All you can do is shake things up for the sake of shaking things up. Can't fire the whole team.

This is not about Xs and Os. Coach gotta go. Another scapegoat. Pack YOUR sins on HIS back, and chase him out of town. Your sins will go away.

I agree. I don't see a different coaching making this work unless he sits some guys and plays some youth but of course that would cause the locker room to burn down and turn into anarchy. These are very comfortable, rich, and laid back group of vets. Then adding the ultimate vacation beer belly guy in Harden didn't help matters at all. A washed PJ Tucker coming in and instantly getting minutes. I just don't see it with this group, even with a coaching change.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,773

Post#82 » by KL2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:50 am

We had something to work with. A focused training camp. A game plan. Health for once.

Ballmer got greedy and we may not recover.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#83 » by Clemenza » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:56 am

esqtvd wrote:
Dynamix wrote:That's it, I'm instituting a 10 game sample size before I can allow myself to be invested in this team again. Although looking at our upcoming schedule, might need to make it 20.

Can't remember any other season with so many embarrassing losses early on, despite all our stars being healthy.

I am not having fun.

I see rumors on Twitter that I haven't posted, that Ty is playing who the Front Office is ordering him to. If there were a bot commanding Ty to give out minutes according to salary and length of contract, this is what we would see.

I'm not blaming Ty for any of this at all. If I'm Ty, I'll say to Ballmer and his underlings, "OK, I'll do it YOUR way, as best I can. But if it doesn't work, before you fire me, let me try it MY way."

Nothing I'm seeing is on Ty's head. If I'm right about this, then either Ballmer will let Ty COACH this team, or Ballmer will fire Ty and stick with the course of trying to make the Over The Hill Gang win a title.

With its dying breath. There is no future for this team either way, even if they win it all this year. Russ and Beard are 35 [more or less], and Kawhi and PG are 32+ [more or less].

This is a one-way ticket.

Post 'em. I'm wondering the same thing some of these guys that are getting minutes. Lue was at the Clippers G League game front and center scouting and they played at 10am this morning.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Post#84 » by donemilio21 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:14 am

PG, Harden, Westbrook combined : 31 points, 11 assist, 2 Steals, 3 3PM

Reggie Jackson: 35 points, 13 assists, 2 Steals. 3 3PM
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#85 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:17 am

donemilio21 wrote:PG, Harden, Westbrook combined : 31 points, 11 assist, 2 Steals, 3 3PM

meanwhile, Jackson looked washed up last season- I guess you get out of LA and find the fountain of youth. DJ looked 10 years younger today too. Must be nice
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#86 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:19 am

esqtvd wrote:Outscored 24-8 in the 4th quarter after leading by 11 after 3 quarters. I'm not even gonna go to Kawhi and PG choking in Game 7 vs the Nuggets.

Ty tried every combination but they all ate donkey dink. Forget "adjustments." You can't score only 8 points in the 4th quarter and win. Coach can't call plays like the NFL. This is the NBA. One man can score 20 points in a quarter. Give me the ball and get out of the way.

It's these players. They're just too rich, too fat, or too old to give a spit. Kawhi has his rings, and the rest have learned to live without one.

It's not that they don't care. It's that they just don't CARE. It's just a job now. But Ballmer is out of roster options now unless he wants to give away our 2030 FIRST ROUND PICK. [If that's even legal.]

It's not that Ty can't straighten this out. It's that NOBODY can straighten this out. All you can do is shake things up for the sake of shaking things up. Can't fire the whole team.

This is not about Xs and Os. Coach gotta go. Another scapegoat. Pack YOUR sins on HIS back, and chase him out of town. Your sins will go away.

Of course, the fault lies with the players too- but why were they so lackluster? Lethargic? Uninspired? Isn't the coach supposed to fire them up? It seems like Lue just sulks when they play like that rather than getting energetic. Sometimes you need a coach to get really angry. Maybe he does behind the scenes, but on the sidelines it is needed too.

Also, although we all know Jackson is barely a back up in this NBA now, he looked like a hall of famer tonight- so, why not make some adjustments earlier? The same thing happened with Ingram and Zion. Just let them get as comfortable as they want and then it's too late when you try to make adjustments.
KL2
Analyst

Post#87 » by KL2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,955

Post#88 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:25 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:

Of course, the fault lies with the players too- but why were they so lackluster? Lethargic? Uninspired? Isn't the coach supposed to fire them up? It seems like Lue just sulks when they play like that rather than getting energetic. Sometimes you need a coach to get really angry. Maybe he does behind the scenes, but on the sidelines it is needed too.

Also, although we all know Jackson is barely a back up in this NBA now, he looked like a hall of famer tonight- so, why not make some adjustments earlier? The same thing happened with Ingram and Zion. Just let them get as comfortable as they want and then it's too late when you try to make adjustments.

You are correct. Ty is in "let's figure this out" mode as all the players are talking. Ty is low-key. He's not the rah-rah type.

And if you bring in a rah-rah type, this team of aging, lazy, fat and happy HOFers would laugh at him.

These guys aren't just millionaires--anybody with a guaranteed contract is pretty much a millionaire. Amir Coffey is making $3 million-plus this year and barely sees the court.

These guys--KL, PG, Harden-Russ--are worth $200 MILLION each. What the hell can coach say?

I watched the Sixers beat down the Lakers by 44 points tonight. [Sixers fan and I'll watch any game just to root against the Lakers. :lol: ]

LeBron was out there SWEATING BLOOD. Between his lifetime salary and investments, 39-year-old Bron is a BILLIONAIRE.

I never liked the guy, but JEEZ. Played 30 minutes in a 44-point LOSS. And was humping EVERY MINUTE.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#89 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:47 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Of course, the fault lies with the players too- but why were they so lackluster? Lethargic? Uninspired? Isn't the coach supposed to fire them up? It seems like Lue just sulks when they play like that rather than getting energetic. Sometimes you need a coach to get really angry. Maybe he does behind the scenes, but on the sidelines it is needed too.

Interesting question. FTR---CLIPPERS are my NUMBER ONE. Sixers are my hometown team. My #2. But my wife is not from Philly and Clippers are her #1 team in all of sports. 8-)

Coach can't fire up anybody. That rah-rah shtt only works on kids. We have a team of 30+ yr-olds who have $200 million in the bank.

Not $2 million, which we'd all be happy with. Not $20 million, which is rich by any standard. But TWO HUNDRED MILLION. Unimaginable.

Kawhi and Beard are birds of a feather, the most talented. They play slow, and they play cool. PG and Russ are out here humping. Fire. That's why Ty made these pairs, fire and ice.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#90 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:57 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
With its dying breath. There is no future for this team either way, even if they win it all this year. Russ and Beard are 35 [more or less], and Kawhi and PG are 32+ [more or less].

This is a one-way ticket.

Post 'em. I'm wondering the same thing some of these guys that are getting minutes. Lue was at the Clippers G League game front and center scouting and they played at 10am this morning.

You're already ahead of me. The problem is not Ty. He cannot Xs and Os or rah-rah speeches our way out of this.

I was wondering why Popovich is still coaching at age 74. I'd rather coach Wemby than uncoach these Clippers!
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,437

Post#91 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:59 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Of course, the fault lies with the players too- but why were they so lackluster? Lethargic? Uninspired? Isn't the coach supposed to fire them up? It seems like Lue just sulks when they play like that rather than getting energetic. Sometimes you need a coach to get really angry. Maybe he does behind the scenes, but on the sidelines it is needed too.

This isn't Remember The Titans. A coach can't make a group of 30 year old wealthy men want to give a $#!t. They have to want it too. Lue played our top 8 players in every conceivable lineup in the fourth. That's a coaching cry for help. Nothing worked. I don't blame Lue much.

Thies? Tucker? They're new and didn't play much. Don't blame them much either.

Powell? Bad game. Mann? Mediocre game. But with PG and Harden sucking like they did, somebody has to step up. Lue told them, I guarantee it; hell, a middle school player would know it. Kinda blame them.

Zu? You got outplayed by a 3rd string C whose career is on fumes. Blame.

Westbrook? Up and down game, lost his temper at the end. Didn't run an offense, got dominated by Reggie. Blame.

Kawhi? The softest 31 points ever. Looked slow on D. At some point you have to care, or pretend to care. Last night was that point and you didn't. Blame.

PG? You've played well this year, but you stunk it up big. No excuses. Blame.

Harden? This is supposedly why we got you. Big 2 having off games. Time to be the system, or whatever. Instead -- after 3 quarters of crap, a completely invisible 4th. No FGA. No assists. Biggest blame.

About as bummed as I've ever been a a Clipper fan.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 394

Post#92 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:PG, Harden, Westbrook combined : 31 points, 11 assist, 2 Steals, 3 3PM

meanwhile, Jackson looked washed up last season- I guess you get out of LA and find the fountain of youth. DJ looked 10 years younger today too. Must be nice

When you play against people like Zubac and Harden who are terrible on defense, its easy to cook. Also they are being coached by a real coach.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,276

Post#93 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:23 pm

This team isn't just bad, it's a total disgrace. If Ballmer cares about winning even a little bit, he'll start firing people.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#94 » by HardenGoat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:22 pm

The pick and roll between Reggie and Jordan was ridiculous, Harden got burned and Zubac overhelped leaving Jordan open all night for dunks. Harden is simply not a perimeter defender for quick fast guards. This will happen again unless they somehow come up with a defensive plan that can thwart it and hide Harden in these situations. I know it sucks and hate to admit it but that's the reality right now. The other issue is we are still not making shots, particularly PG. I think if you constantly defer to him or Kawhi the defense can gameplan that, Harden needs to shoot more if he's going to stay on the court. Offense is stagnant and predictable. Big bump in the road right now. These guys have to figure it out with Ty. I know the narrative coming is Harden is washed, heck the narrative is they are all washed, but we need to push Harden offensively more to find out.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#95 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:33 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:This team isn't just bad, it's a total disgrace. If Ballmer cares about winning even a little bit, he'll start firing people.

You are full of overractions and hottakes. But this time you sound perfectly reasonable on a calm, wise tune my friend.

Its had to be a bloody time when reggie&dj abuse your team full of "stars".

Everybody should be in the hot seat.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
KL2
Analyst

Post#96 » by KL2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:50 pm

Blame is all around.

I start with Ballmer because he pushed for the Harden trade. Patted Frank on the head and said I’ll get it done because you can’t.

Players certainly need to take a look in the mirror and answer some questions.

But saying coach isn’t to blame because you can’t rah rah with this team? Coaches lead every day. Light fires and push whatever buttons. If players are tuning him out maybe it’s time to get a new voice. It’s not just the players who appear to be settling.

Problem is no one is available right now and they’re so afraid Lue will run to the Lakers. They’ll overpay him to make sure that doesn’t happen.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Post#97 » by Dynamix » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:23 pm

Read on Twitter

This wasn't just a bad loss, it was on a whole other level. Reggie and DJ weren't just good, they put up career numbers.

My armchair analysis, after a quick afternoon nap that didn't really calm me down:

- our players found out Denver was resting their stars and totally mailed it in, which you see quite often in the NBA (especially with us), but usually the favorite team wakes up in time, which seemed to be the case last night, until that terrible 4th quarter

- their role players saw an opportunity and left it all out there; somewhat similar to what Morris did recently, starting for Embiid and having one of his best games in over a year; it won't happen every night, but it doesn't have to, those improbable wins are the ones everyone remembers

- Kawhi wanted to be more aggressive and have a bounce back performance, but wasn't efficient; PG and Norm simply didn't have it; Harden and Terance were bystanders; Russ did the best he could; Zu put up solid numbers, but still got outplayed by DJ

- if a few more shots drop you probably feel better about the offense, but it still wouldn't look right

- defense was inconsistent, to put it mildly

- Ty used what on paper should be our playoff rotation, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence

Can't say "just a bad loss, it happens", because we've already had a bunch of them, definitely more than good wins or "good" losses.

While firing Ty won't magically fix everything, he's definitely not guilt-free either. But is Brian Shaw the answer? Does Coach Bud come aboard mid-season and turn it all around? Highly unlikely.

Are the stars just a really bad fit and/or on a rapid decline? Do they want Ty fired? Is the FO asking some players to tank games so Ty quits himself? This team feels so disfunctional right now that no theory seems too outlandish.

Like I said previously, I'm tired of bouncing around from being optimistic one night to having my heart broken the next, so I'll try to take a step back and judge the team after December. It remains to be seen if the decision makers are willing to be as patient.

Being a fan of the Clippers has definitely made my life more exciting, have to give them that.
KL2
Analyst

Post#98 » by KL2 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:58 pm

Dynamix wrote:While firing Ty won't magically fix everything, he's definitely not guilt-free either. But is Brian Shaw the answer? Does Coach Bud come aboard mid-season and turn it all around? Highly unlikely.

Are the stars just a really bad fit and/or on a rapid decline?

For once guys are healthy. They looked good before the trade. Flashes here and there since. Fit may be an issue but Lue won’t try anything else. He’s not shaking the whole tree just the same branches over and over thinking it’ll click one day. Guys still don’t seem to understand their roles. That’s a coaching issue not the players not caring enough. Really makes you wonder what the hell they all talk about.

When the same thing isn’t working you try something different. Do I think Brown would have put Jordan in his place? No. Do I think Miller or Primo is going to shut down Curry? No. But we got some young guys who offer some different things and are hungry. They’re fearless and just go out and play. They don’t overthink everything. But that can lead to mistakes and you can’t have that. All that talk about youth and athleticism was just that.

I don’t think Shaw would take the reins. It would be Dan Craig who I like. Forgot about Bud. It doesn’t matter though. Ballmer has proven he’ll shuffle the players deck but not the coaching one. And they’re too afraid of Lue running to the Lakers.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,276

Post#99 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:13 pm

KL2 wrote:Problem is no one is available right now and they’re so afraid Lue will run to the Lakers.

At this point, I'd gladly pack his bags for him. He's the worst coach in the league and LeBron isn't in his prime anymore to make him look good.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,496

Post#100 » by Ballings7 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:32 pm

One of the very worst losses in team history... I didn't even follow/watch the game, and jaw dropped at seeing the loss, and then Reggie/DJ stats..

My goodness. Hell of a game from both those guys though... (but would either of them ever play close to that on a regular basis, even in condensed, lesser minute form?? Nope). Even if its largely a one off.

No Jokic, Murray, or Gordon, and still lose.. at home!

Pretty sad state right now for the org.

Hopefully things can turn around soon. Not closing the book on the season yet, though.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to Los Angeles Clippers