ImageImageImageImageImage

Shawn Marion?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

bulldogcharly
Junior
And1: 6

Shawn Marion? 

Post#1 » by bulldogcharly » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:14 am

What're the chances we have enough money to entice Marion to sign with us? I feel like he's the last piece to the championship puzzle. I thought Dudley was that piece last year, but he looked more like a lego trying to fit in our puzzle.

Regardless, there are a lot of teams that can offer him more money and to my knowledge the Spurs still haven't used their MLE so if he wants to stay in Texas and have a shot at a championship he could go there, but we have a great city and a shot at a ring to offer as well. We could also go for younger guys like Aminu or take a gamble on Beasley, but someone like Marion with his leadership and championship experience is something I feel we really need.

Thoughts?
Spoiler:
<3Kobe<3
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Shawn Marion? 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 am

i have always liked Marion for his rebounding rate and versatility. but I highly doubt he would leave the Mavs.

if we can sign and trade dud for shawn, i would be more than satisfied, but again, i think it is a pipe dream.
ehhhhh f it.
bulldogcharly
Junior

Post#3 » by bulldogcharly » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:45 am

Neddy wrote:i have always liked Marion for his rebounding rate and versatility. but I highly doubt he would leave the Mavs.

if we can sign and trade dud for shawn, i would be more than satisfied, but again, i think it is a pipe dream.

There was an article on ESPN that the signing of Parsons is pretty much the end of Marion's time with the Mavs. I feel like he would want to play for us, but the only issue is money. Like you said the only way we get him at this point is with a S&T. If all else fails and we're done making signing for the summer, we better hope that either Duds gets his act together or Bullock develops into a formidable 3&D guy.
Spoiler:
<3Kobe<3
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#4 » by LACtdom » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:10 am

I have a scary feeling that if we trade Dudley he will have a good year.
krazyclipperfan
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#5 » by krazyclipperfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:25 pm

bulldogcharly wrote:What're the chances we have enough money to entice Marion to sign with us? I feel like he's the last piece to the championship puzzle. I thought Dudley was that piece last year, but he looked more like a lego trying to fit in our puzzle.

Regardless, there are a lot of teams that can offer him more money and to my knowledge the Spurs still haven't used their MLE so if he wants to stay in Texas and have a shot at a championship he could go there, but we have a great city and a shot at a ring to offer as well. We could also go for younger guys like Aminu or take a gamble on Beasley, but someone like Marion with his leadership and championship experience is something I feel we really need.

Thoughts?

Marion would be a great fit for us to bad we dont have money to pay him, i think that might be a big factor in his decision. Beasley is another intresting option for us, i think he is really good friends with DJ, I remember seeing videos of them hanging out their rookie season. I think he still has a great deal of potential that is untapped. We have the perfect coach to bring that potential out of him. I like Aminu but he cant shoot and he wont be able to spread the floor for us. He would be a great rebounder and could provide the defense we need at the 3. I just think we would need someone who could knock down the open 3 from the SF postion. So of these 3 players Beasley is tje player we have the best shot at getting to sign for what we can pay.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#6 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:51 am

LACtdom wrote:I have a scary feeling that if we trade Dudley he will have a good year.

It is possible that last season was just a bad season for Dudley and that he may play well this coming year even with the Clippers. I haven't totally lost hope for him. The thing that surprised me more than his off shooting (which wasn't that bad actually- he had his moments) was how bad he was on defense. He was supposed to be a decent defender.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#7 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:42 am

bulldogcharly wrote:
Neddy wrote:i have always liked Marion for his rebounding rate and versatility. but I highly doubt he would leave the Mavs.

There was an article on ESPN that the signing of Parsons is pretty much the end of Marion's time with the Mavs. I feel like he would want to play for us, but the only issue is money. Like you said the only way we get him at this point is with a S&T. If all else fails and we're done making signing for the summer, we better hope that either Duds gets his act together or Bullock develops into a formidable 3&D guy.

i think the only way Dudley gets his game back is if he has a change of scenery. as long as he is still in our uniform, his mental approach will always be timid and unsure. I think there is a better chance Bullock becomes a decent 3 and D guy, but would hate to see his great size at 2 be wasted as a smallish 3.

if Dud do better in another team's uni, good for him. i just hope we can get value for him in return.
ehhhhh f it.
Solo11
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#8 » by Solo11 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:06 am

God I hope we get Marion. At this point I'd take anyone over Dudley. We need to improve our SF position badly.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#9 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:57 am

Dudley needs to drop a few lbs
bulldogcharly
Junior

Post#10 » by bulldogcharly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
LACtdom wrote:I have a scary feeling that if we trade Dudley he will have a good year.

It is possible that last season was just a bad season for Dudley and that he may play well this coming year even with the Clippers. I haven't totally lost hope for him. The thing that surprised me more than his off shooting (which wasn't that bad actually- he had his moments) was how bad he was on defense. He was supposed to be a decent defender.

Yeah that was honestly the most frustrating part for me. The guy got beat off the dribble by pretty much everyone.
Spoiler:
<3Kobe<3
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,185

Post#11 » by og15 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:23 am

In the end Dudley was still injured, and he had played and shot well for 3+ seasons with Phoenix, so unless his injury issues aren't gone, it is probably the most likely situation that he does have a good year whether we trade him or not.

Marion would be nice, so would Aminu, but of course the pricing is going to be difficult.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#12 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:22 pm

I'd love AFA back
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#13 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:10 pm

I think we only yet Marion of he will sign for the minimum. I haven't heard our team linked to him so who really knows. However he would be a nice addition if we could get him.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:38 pm

RIP losing on the boards all the time with Shawn Marion.

We'd be soooo much better.

36 but still has some bounce in those legs. A defender as well.

Plz lettuce sign Shawn.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,185

Post#15 » by og15 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:30 pm

krazyclipperfan wrote:
bulldogcharly wrote:What're the chances we have enough money to entice Marion to sign with us? I feel like he's the last piece to the championship puzzle. I thought Dudley was that piece last year, but he looked more like a lego trying to fit in our puzzle.

Thoughts?

Marion would be a great fit for us to bad we dont have money to pay him, i think that might be a big factor in his decision. Beasley is another intresting option for us, i think he is really good friends with DJ, I remember seeing videos of them hanging out their rookie season. I think he still has a great deal of potential that is untapped. We have the perfect coach to bring that potential out of him. I like Aminu but he cant shoot and he wont be able to spread the floor for us. He would be a great rebounder and could provide the defense we need at the 3. I just think we would need someone who could knock down the open 3 from the SF postion. So of these 3 players Beasley is tje player we have the best shot at getting to sign for what we can pay.

Sigh, Beasley. I think it is time for people to give up on that one. The fit doesn't make sense though. We don't need a mediocre efficiency volume scorer on the team, and we need defense at SF. And I'm being generous by saying mediocre efficiency, he's usually bad, but he was above average last season in 15 MPG

Bealsey actually seems to play best offensively at PF, not SF, and defensively he's not good at SF. Just don't see how he fits into what the team would be trying to do, what role does he have on this team?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#16 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:RIP losing on the boards all the time with Shawn Marion.

We'd be soooo much better.

36 but still has some bounce in those legs. A defender as well.

Plz lettuce sign Shawn.

one thing i do remember from Elton, Sam, and Cat's Clipper days, is that Shawn had one of the ugliest jump shot i have had ever seen, but one of the highest rebounding rate player covering the 4 in 3's body and playing well.

even in his old age, it would be a dream to grab a player of his caliber.
ehhhhh f it.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#17 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Shawn shoots from his dick lol. Ugliest J in the league
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#18 » by illastrate » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Clips are one of the teams he's considering. The question is...is he willing to take the minimum? According to him, money isn't a factor:

Still, Marion says money will not be his motivating factor as he listens to potential suitors, pursuing a second title to further cement his legacy.

“I’ve actually never really experienced free agency,” a modest Marion said. “You know, after your 15th year in the league it’s a weird feeling. But, you know, I’m not even thinking about that. When July 1 comes I’ll just look at my options and see which one is best suited for me to add to my legacy.

“You know, it’s not about money right now. I’ve made a lot of money in my career and I’ve been truly blessed. You know, I take none of this for granted, and I think I’ve just got to weigh my options. I think when it’s all said and done, of course, I think we’re close here and not too far. But I think we’ve got a lot of guys here that are free agents again, so it’s going to be interesting. We’re going to see what’s out there and what’s available, and I’ve just got to weigh it out. I’m going to put it in God’s hands.”

http://www.mavs.com/heart-dallas-shawn- ... 2nd-title/
McAdoo
Junior
And1: 44

Post#19 » by McAdoo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:17 am

I would love to have Marion, for the simple fact he can grab boards and play some D. We lack someone who can guard opposing wings and who can help on the boards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#20 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:45 pm

marion signing with us would be a huge get in an otherwise droll offseason.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers