Sam Cassell hired assistant 

Post#1 » by scratch21 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 6:48 pm

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Sam Cassell hired assistant 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:43 pm

LOVE IT!

with Tokowitz gone, Sam back in the fold, maybe it is time for us to forgive Elton and bring him back in some capacity too in near future, whether it is as a backup big or as a coach.
ehhhhh f it.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Post#3 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Aug 3, 2014 12:08 am

Here's another: DC is reporting that Sam Cassell will be released voluntarily by the Wizards front office. Had the Wizards demanded a compensation trade, the Clippers and Wizards would have been put in a gag order preventing both teams from trading with each other for a full year and delaying the inevitable Doc-Pierce reunion. Because he was voluntarily released and not compensated for, we might see a Doc-Pierce reunion this season. Here's how I see it:

1. Doc wanted Pierce, and was willing to sign-and-trade for him, but Nets refused to cooperate. In addition, they wanted to ruin the Clip's playoff chances by requiring J.J. Redick and/or a first round draft pick. No deal, Pierce walks.

2. Cassell steps in and suggets to Pierce he sign with Wizards. Go for the full mid-level, stay in DC for the first half of the season. When the deadline comes, Cassell will remind Doc to trade for Pierce.

Doc's love for Pierce might be the reason why the Clips refused to go after another small forward. This is further proof that he really needs his guys back. And if the rumors of a Kevin Garnett trade are true, then we might have a starting lineup where we have TWO dynamic duos (Paul-Griffin and Pierce-Garnett) on the starting lineup instead of a traditional Big 3.
bulldogcharly
Junior
And1: 6

Post#4 » by bulldogcharly » Sun Aug 3, 2014 12:26 am

Great move. I had a feeling this was gonna happen, but I'm happy it finally did. Him working with CP3/Farmar/Crawford/Redick will greatly improve our backcourt. None of them will magically gain skill, but they'll all start making smarter decisions and start making the right plays at the right times. I love what he did with Wall and Beal in Washington so I can't wait for this.
Spoiler:
<3Kobe<3
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#5 » by mttwlsn16 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 1:26 am

Sweeeeeet
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#6 » by playaloc916 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 5:28 pm

Great pickup. Having a crafty veteran like Cassell on the sidelines will always be a benefit. Would be nice if a Wizards/Pierce trade is in the works too.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,178

Post#7 » by og15 » Sun Aug 3, 2014 6:41 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Here's another: DC is reporting that Sam Cassell will be released voluntarily by the Wizards front office. Had the Wizards demanded a compensation trade, the Clippers and Wizards would have been put in a gag order preventing both teams from trading with each other for a full year and delaying the inevitable Doc-Pierce reunion. Because he was voluntarily released and not compensated for, we might see a Doc-Pierce reunion this season. Here's how I see it:

1. Doc wanted Pierce, and was willing to sign-and-trade for him, but Nets refused to cooperate. In addition, they wanted to ruin the Clip's playoff chances by requiring J.J. Redick and/or a first round draft pick. No deal, Pierce walks.

2. Cassell steps in and suggets to Pierce he sign with Wizards. Go for the full mid-level, stay in DC for the first half of the season. When the deadline comes, Cassell will remind Doc to trade for Pierce.

Doc's love for Pierce might be the reason why the Clips refused to go after another small forward. This is further proof that he really needs his guys back. And if the rumors of a Kevin Garnett trade are true, then we might have a starting lineup where we have TWO dynamic duos (Paul-Griffin and Pierce-Garnett) on the starting lineup instead of a traditional Big 3.

Garnett is still a very good defender, but not any sort of member of a "dynamic duo" at this stage and we don't have $11M or whatever it is in contract that we would be willing to trade for KG, especially since we now have Hawes and aren't desperate for a backup big. Clipper aren't trading for KG, only way Clippers get KG is if he is traded, waived and then we pick him up.

You're omitting the will of Washington in this scenario where they might not want to trade Pierce. They look like what will be the makings of a pretty good team, not sure why they would trade Pierce just to make the Clippers happy. Still if they did, we would have to give value back, Jamal might be the only guy that makes sense for Washington, so it's about whether people like a trade like that.

Cassell is nice to replace the assistants that were lost, still hoping for either Frank or Skiles for defense though.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#8 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:15 am

Happy that we were able to get Cassell. He is a guy that I always respected and deeply loved when he was here. He did a lot for our franchise for the short time he was here. Now he's back to help us further, I believe Cassell will be a great addition to the coaching staff.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#9 » by keynote » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:23 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Here's how I see it:

OK, as a Wizards fan, I'll bite. The Wizards just lost last year's starting SF to the Rockets, and have their own postseason aspirations. Pierce is signed to a cheap, short deal. Who/what would the Clips offer in this hypothetical trade to entice the Wizards to give up Pierce?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#10 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:29 pm

keynote wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:Here's how I see it:

OK, as a Wizards fan, I'll bite. The Wizards just lost last year's starting SF to the Rockets, and have their own postseason aspirations. Pierce is signed to a cheap, short deal. Who/what would the Clips offer in this hypothetical trade to entice the Wizards to give up Pierce?

DTS
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Post#11 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Aug 4, 2014 7:43 pm

keynote wrote:OK, as a Wizards fan, I'll bite. The Wizards just lost last year's starting SF to the Rockets, and have their own postseason aspirations. Pierce is signed to a cheap, short deal. Who/what would the Clips offer in this hypothetical trade to entice the Wizards to give up Pierce?

Most likely, Jamal Crawford. Any trade the Clips want to make, teams will ask for Crawford up front. Doc won't do it.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#12 » by mj_shoefanatic » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:49 pm

Welcome back SAM I AM.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers