CDR Coming to Lob City

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

CDR Coming to Lob City 

Post#1 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:29 pm

Dan Woike @DanWoikeSports
Can confirm Woj report that LAC is close to a deal with Hedo Turkoglu. Team is also close to signing Chris Douglas-Roberts, per a source.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Re: CDR Coming to Lob City 

Post#2 » by og15 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:10 pm

I like the CDR signing. I think if he repeats the similar level of play from last season, he's a very good addition.

Let's look at him statistically last season:
6.9 ppg / 2.4 rpg / 1.0 apg / 0.6 spg / 0.3 bpg / 0.7 tpg / 1.7 fta

44% FG / 38.6% 3PT / 80.5% 3PT / .588 TS% / 111 Ortg

Per 36:
12.0 pts / 4.2 rebs / 1.8 ast / 1.0 stl / 0.6 blk / 1.3 tov / 2.9 FTA / 4.7 3PTA

Team Drtg
On: 104.7
Off: 104.1

Very good efficiency stats. Defense wasn't significantly different with him on or off. Low turnovers, good 3PTA rate and good percentages. Just an okay rebounder. Physically he has good length, okay quickness, but he's not explosive and doesn't really get off the floor in any impressive manner.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:31 pm

CDR is a fan favorite here in Charlotte. Good luck. Hope he gets some burn in LA because he completely deserves it. You'll like him for sure- perfect 3&D guy. He pretty much shot 40% from deep, played solid defense, and works his ass off every time he plays no matter how often that may be. He's really not going to stand out in any way: he shoots, passes, defends, handles, and finishes well but nothing spectacular. Just a good solid role player. He's everything you guys wanted from Jared Dudley, but much cheaper.

We were clamoring for him to start over Henderson toward the end of last season, and I think you guys will be doing the same this season. Good luck!
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#4 » by LACtdom » Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:49 pm

Can anyone make a guess about who will start? CDR or Barnes?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#5 » by og15 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:22 am

Definitely Barnes unless he gets injured
scratch21
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#6 » by scratch21 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:36 am

LACtdom wrote:Can anyone make a guess about who will start? CDR or Barnes?

i like Barnes off the bench
La clipshow
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by La clipshow » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:43 am

BizGilwalker wrote:CDR is a fan favorite here in Charlotte. Good luck. Hope he gets some burn in LA because he completely deserves it. You'll like him for sure- perfect 3&D guy. He pretty much shot 40% from deep, played solid defense, and works his ass off every time he plays no matter how often that may be. He's really not going to stand out in any way: he shoots, passes, defends, handles, and finishes well but nothing spectacular. Just a good solid role player. He's everything you guys wanted from Jared Dudley, but much cheaper.

We were clamoring for him to start over Henderson toward the end of last season, and I think you guys will be doing the same this season. Good luck!

All of us clipper fans love to hear that.

Suddenly we have a competition at small forward. I feel like I can breathe a small sigh of relief. #InDocWeTrust
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#8 » by Dynamix » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:54 am

Welcome aboard and please don't be Dudley 2.0! :)
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#9 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 2, 2014 5:51 am

La clipshow wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:CDR is a fan favorite here in Charlotte. Good luck. Hope he gets some burn in LA because he completely deserves it. You'll like him for sure- perfect 3&D guy. He pretty much shot 40% from deep, played solid defense, and works his ass off every time he plays no matter how often that may be. He's really not going to stand out in any way: he shoots, passes, defends, handles, and finishes well but nothing spectacular. Just a good solid role player. He's everything you guys wanted from Jared Dudley, but much cheaper.

All of us clipper fans love to hear that.

Suddenly we have a competition at small forward. I feel like I can breathe a small sigh of relief. #InDocWeTrust

welcome to the nation, brother.
ehhhhh f it.
bulldogcharly
Junior
And1: 6

Post#10 » by bulldogcharly » Tue Sep 2, 2014 6:13 am

Absolutely love this signing. We've all been waiting for it for the past week or so. Are there any reports of it being finalized though?

Regardless he's a great addition and did a great job in Charlotte last year. I can't help but think being around a group of guys like we have will only make him a better player. Is this our last signing for the offseason though? With Hedo back are we done with Udoh and just leaving the last spots for 10 day contracts throughout the year?
Spoiler:
<3Kobe<3
SnapBack30
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#11 » by SnapBack30 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 6:41 am

CDR's skills added to this LA Clippers talent is gonna be a FANTASTIC mix. I am a big fan of CDR and am glad to see him get this opportunity. Looking forward to seeing him play for a full season. After what he did at Charlotte last year (as a late signing in December), man CDR will be ballin big time for LAC! Gotta get that NBA League Pass again. Lob City has CDR? Oohwee!
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#12 » by mttwlsn16 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 7:46 am

LACtdom wrote:Can anyone make a guess about who will start? CDR or Barnes?

I'd be fine w CDR
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#13 » by QRich3 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 10:48 am

og15 wrote:I like the CDR signing. I think if he repeats the similar level of play from last season, he's a very good addition.

Not that I don't like the guy, but that's a big if. I hope he can replicate what he did last year, but his career arc says different, he had never shot above league average and he had trouble adjusting to his role basically his whole career. There's a reason he spent two seasons in the D-League before he went to Charlotte, and he's unsigned in September. Clifford was able to keep him to his role and make him play proper defense, let's see if Doc is capable of the same.

In any case, this team needs a good SF if we want to compete with the big boys in San Antonio and Oklahoma, CDR is an ok piece but not the guy we were hoping for. If Barnes was a problem last year, I don't see CDR surpassing Barnes' performance by much. We needed a trade for a better player or for Dudley to be back to his Phoenix days (long shot, I know). As it is, we still have a big hole at the wing.

Sorry to be the Debbie downer of the thread, just calling it like I see it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#14 » by og15 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 12:53 pm

QRich3 wrote:
og15 wrote:I like the CDR signing. I think if he repeats the similar level of play from last season, he's a very good addition.

Not that I don't like the guy, but that's a big if. I hope he can replicate what he did last year, but his career arc says different, he had never shot above league average and he had trouble adjusting to his role basically his whole career. There's a reason he spent two seasons in the D-League before he went to Charlotte, and he's unsigned in September. Clifford was able to keep him to his role and make him play proper defense, let's see if Doc is capable of the same.

In any case, this team needs a good SF if we want to compete with the big boys in San Antonio and Oklahoma, CDR is an ok piece but not the guy we were hoping for. If Barnes was a problem last year, I don't see CDR surpassing Barnes' performance by much. We needed a trade for a better player or for Dudley to be back to his Phoenix days (long shot, I know). As it is, we still have a big hole at the wing.

I think he used his stint in the D-league to understand what type of NBA player he is and his shot looks improved. What I like most were his shot areas for a role player. At the rim or three's, leave the shot creating and mid-range to the Paul and Blake's

He played much more like a role player not a guy trying to be a big scorer in the NBA.

I actually think there was a very good chance of getting phoenix Dudley. That was really based on health. Tendinitis made Duncan look old a couple years ago, he got healthy and had a "resurgence".
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#15 » by Lindecision » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:27 pm

Watching CDR play last year was like watching a Matt Barnes replica.

Solid 3D guy. I like it.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by QRich3 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:44 pm

og15 wrote:
QRich3 wrote:

I think he used his stint in the D-league to understand what type of NBA player he is and his shot looks improved. What I like most were his shot areas for a role player. At the rim or three's, leave the shot creating and mid-range to the Paul and Blake's

He played much more like a role player not a guy trying to be a big scorer in the NBA.

I actually think there was a very good chance of getting phoenix Dudley. That was really based on health. Tendinitis made Duncan look old a couple years ago, he got healthy and had a "resurgence".

I really hope you're right and he's our Danny Green or something like that. I agree with the Dudley part, and that's another of the reasons I was pissed off at the selling low on him (and giving away a pick on top of it). That's one of the reasons I still don't trust the CDR signing, if all other teams didn't think he was worth the minimum, I don't see our front office as the clever guys discovering something everyone else missed. Hope I'm wrong tho.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#17 » by Lindecision » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:02 pm

QRich3 wrote:I really hope you're right and he's our Danny Green or something like that. I agree with the Dudley part, and that's another of the reasons I was pissed off at the selling low on him (and giving away a pick on top of it). That's one of the reasons I still don't trust the CDR signing, if all other teams didn't think he was worth the minimum, I don't see our front office as the clever guys discovering something everyone else missed. Hope I'm wrong tho.

Who says they didn't?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by QRich3 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:04 pm

Dunno, I kinda assumed that by him being unsigned in September...
SnapBack30
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#19 » by SnapBack30 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:09 pm

CDR only played 49 games last season. Was signed as a replacement for an injured player and worked himself into the rotation, even starting a few games. I think after a full season with the Clippers, the dialogue will be about how to resign him. He is that good. Doc Rivers got it right.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#20 » by og15 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 9:41 pm

CDR's first three years in the league 33.5% of his FGA were from 10-23 feet. Mid-long mid-range jumpers. He shot 34.2% and 40.8% respectively from 10-16 and 16-23. 40.8% really isn't so bad from 16-23, but depends on the rest of the players game. 11% of his FGA were 3PA those first three years.

Last season, 8.4% of his FGA were from 10-23 feet and 52.4% were from 3PT range. He attempted (and obviously made) more three's in 49 games last season than he had in the first 161 games of his career. Is his shooting sustainable? I have no clue, but what seems apparent is that his approach to the game has changed in terms of his scoring role.

The other interesting thing is that 40.9% of his 3PA were corner three's, which means 59.1% were above the break three's. He shot 44.4% on corer three's, which were 54 attempts (24/54). This means he shot a fairly decent 27/78 (34.6%) on three's above the break.

I think his new changed mentality about what kind of player he believes he is can be seen through his "I'm Not a Star Series": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bqo4g2bC4o

I've watched a little bit of it, and it is interesting.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers