ImageImageImageImageImage

R2 G7: Los Angeles Clippers (3) @ Houston Rockets (3)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

big_ticket
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: R2 G7: Los Angeles Clippers (3) @ Houston Rockets (3) 

Post#381 » by big_ticket » Sun May 17, 2015 11:55 pm

sigh im rooting for the clipps..what a meltdown...
Hodges4Three
Starter
And1: 1,027

Post#382 » by Hodges4Three » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am

Paul, DJ and Blake played well enough that they should be in the Conference Finals.

Sadly the role players collapsed and choked hard. There's only so much the stars can do.

Look at the Rockets, Brewer, Smith, Prigioni, Terry, Ariza, these guys all stepped up and carried the Rockets to victory, especially in game 6 with Harden on the bench the entire 4th.

JJ, Barnes, Crawford and Rivers were absolutely putrid the last 3 games, with Reddick shooting 6-26 from deep, most of them wide open looks. Pretty sure all of them combined have shot less than 30% the last 3 games.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#383 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 18, 2015 12:09 am

Being an old basketball vet here I can tell you Clipper fans that they're in a similar position the Lakers were in back in 1979. Your problem is with Redick and Crawford, much like the Lakers was with Adrian Dantley and Jammal Wilkes. Both players are one in the same...provide the same services and bottom line is you don't need both. Doc has to make a decision on who to erase.

The Laker situation was much easier back in '79 because while Dantley and Wilkes were small forwards, it was Dantley that got in the way of things because he wanted the ball on the post a lot. It was no need for that seeing as the Lakers had Abdul-Jabbar, so Dantley was out.

The Clippers to me need to move Crawford and replace him with a more prototypical 3 off the bench.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Hodges4Three
Starter
And1: 1,027

Post#384 » by Hodges4Three » Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Being an old basketball vet here I can tell you Clipper fans that they're in a similar position the Lakers were in back in 1979. Your problem is with Redick and Crawford, much like the Lakers was with Adrian Dantley and Jammal Wilkes. Both players are one in the same...provide the same services and bottom line is you don't need both. Doc has to make a decision on who to erase.

The Laker situation was much easier back in '79 because while Dantley and Wilkes were small forwards, it was Dantley that got in the way of things because he wanted the ball on the post a lot. It was no need for that seeing as the Lakers had Abdul-Jabbar, so Dantley was out.

The Clippers to me need to move Crawford and replace him with a more prototypical 3 off the bench.

Reddick is the better shooter and gets his shots within the offense. He also plays much better defense.

Crawford is better at creating his own shot, but they are usually low percentage/bad shots and he has the tendency to ice out teammates.

Moving Crawford is definitely the way to go.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#385 » by theFRANCHISE » Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 am

seeingstars wrote:Clippers should be going to the WCF. Harden plays unmasculine basketball with all his bs flops and cheap foul drawing. Dwight Howard is still a very unintelligent plauer. I'll enjoy watching them fall to the warriors in the next round but you guys were screwed.

some bad calls in game 7 but there isn't a game 7 if you can finish off a team in game 6. Clippers screwed themselves.
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
KingKellz
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#386 » by KingKellz » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 am

mkwest wrote:Outside fans that want to come in here and rub salt in the wounds will be dealt with swiftly.

Sore loser
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#387 » by og15 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Being an old basketball vet here I can tell you Clipper fans that they're in a similar position the Lakers were in back in 1979. Your problem is with Redick and Crawford, much like the Lakers was with Adrian Dantley and Jammal Wilkes. Both players are one in the same...provide the same services and bottom line is you don't need both. Doc has to make a decision on who to erase.

Redick is much better for team basketball that Crawford. Redick is far more limited physically but better on defense. Jamal is also 35 years old. Problem is that this is nothing new. Not tooting my own horn but as soon as Redick was signed, my first reaction was Jamal needs to go because you need to have more of a balance / complimentary situation at the wing position. By that I meant more of a longer, bigger, more defensively capable player. Trade some offense for defense, especially because in the playoffs Jamal's offense doesn't hold up to be positive impact and he gives you no more offensively team wise than a player like Ariza gives while playing a more complimentary role and allowing guys like CP and Blake to be decision makers. Jamal had value then, you could have gotten something for him, now it is much harder.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#388 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 18, 2015 1:10 am

og15 wrote:

Redick is much better for team basketball that Crawford. Redick is far more limited physically but better on defense. Jamal is also 35 years old. Problem is that this is nothing new. Not tooting my own horn but as soon as Redick was signed, my first reaction was Jamal needs to go because you need to have more of a balance / complimentary situation at the wing position. By that I meant more of a longer, bigger, more defensively capable player. Trade some offense for defense, especially because in the playoffs Jamal's offense doesn't hold up to be positive impact and he gives you no more offensively team wise than a player like Ariza gives while playing a more complimentary role and allowing guys like CP and Blake to be decision makers. Jamal had value then, you could have gotten something for him, now it is much harder.
The part I put in bold is exactly my thought also, and truth being told it's what needs to happen for the Clippers to reach the next step. A basketball team has to be symmetrical in terms of player to player, the better the team is built the more options a coach has in lineups to use. Doc was very limited in what he could run out on the floor, lack of depth on the wing was just one of the problems.

But I agree with everything you said.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#389 » by og15 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:14 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
og15 wrote:

The part I put in bold is exactly my thought also, and truth being told it's what needs to happen for the Clippers to reach the next step. A basketball team has to be symmetrical in terms of player to player, the better the team is built the more options a coach has in lineups to use. Doc was very limited in what he could run out on the floor, lack of depth on the wing was just one of the problems.

But I agree with everything you said.

Jamal has had a way of playing well enough in the regular season despite wild inconsistencies and just being such a dang nice guy to keep himself on the roster I guess
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#390 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 am

KingKellz wrote:
mkwest wrote:Outside fans that want to come in here and rub salt in the wounds will be dealt with swiftly.

Sore loser
Nah is't not about that, it's the guys that come and say stupid stuff just to bait. Simply put just stay away if you can't post something in terms of having a mature conversation about ball....simple as that. Hell I'm and outsider and much worse in terms of a rival fan...that I'm a Laker fan.

But my postings here haven't been anything about the game, it's talk about moving forward and looking at the team as a whole.

It's not hard to post something intelligent.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#391 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 am

I'll be interested in how the board monitor looks at this...
You guys beat Spurs in the first round. That was epic and proves Clippers are a top 4 team in the league IMO. Game 6...that crap just happens and it's why I hate watching games up big down the stretch. Heck...you could see Houston falling apart and Harden wanted NO part of the ball for about 4 minutes.

Bottom line from an outsider, Clippers have two of the top players in the league...a defensive monster...but need more depth defensively. Ariza type player would be perfect. For the amount of depth, Clippers had a fantastic season. I"m super glad Warriors got lucky and didn't have to face you guys.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#392 » by og15 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:21 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I'll be interested in how the board monitor looks at this...
You guys beat Spurs in the first round. That was epic and proves Clippers are a top 4 team in the league IMO. Game 6...that crap just happens and it's why I hate watching games up big down the stretch. Heck...you could see Houston falling apart and Harden wanted NO part of the ball for about 4 minutes.

Bottom line from an outsider, Clippers have two of the top players in the league...a defensive monster...but need more depth defensively. Ariza type player would be perfect. For the amount of depth, Clippers had a fantastic season. I"m super glad Warriors got lucky and didn't have to face you guys.

There wasn't really a point in the season where we thought we would be favorites against the Warriors. The starting lineup can only do so much and it would have been an uphill battle the whole way, especially being the third series in a row where the team would be relying on their starters to play heavy minutes and win the series by themselves.

Clippers have needed and Ariza player for some time, but they all just keep slipping away. Even Pierce would have been nice which pushes Barnes to the bench and gives more depth. Heck, a healthy Martell Webster could have been nice just to give more size with a mix of shooting and the ability to defend at the wing position, but he's kinda done with his back issues.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#393 » by DEEP3CL » Mon May 18, 2015 1:33 am

og15 wrote:Jamal has had a way of playing well enough in the regular season despite wild inconsistencies and just being such a dang nice guy to keep himself on the roster I guess
Yeah I know...he's gonna have exciting games during a stretch of a season, but in the playoffs when you can key in on players I'm guessing he's much easier to take away in a series. Jamal's never been a headache during his time in the league and that carries a long way for vets who still want to play. Somebody will want him, just not sure if any value can be had for him at this stage in his career.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Kmartshopper
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#394 » by Kmartshopper » Mon May 18, 2015 2:06 am

Clippers just need real basketball players on their bench. Just look at our bench and try not to laugh, or in the case of us Clippers fans, cry. We don't have a cookie cutter starting five, but they are championship caliber if they are not ragged from overuse. Got to move Barnes to the bench somehow. Need a younger guy to soak up his minutes.

Turkoglu: Dribble aimlessly around 3 pt line before shooting contested fallaway three. Trash. No value.
Big Baby: Decent, possibly has some value after Spurs series.
Crawford: I would like to keep him, but I would also like him to play within the offense and facilitate more. It's on the coaches to make him do these things. His infinite green light should be revoked.

Hamilton: Not related to Doc, therefore small sample size.
Hudson: Performed decently in limited appearances, but not related to Doc, so his minutes were not increased.
Hawes: Only hope is this guy remembers how to play basketball. I have a feeling we're going to be stuck with him for quite some time.
Udoh: Guy runs like a 75 year old man, but still might be faster than Turkoglu. Not sure. I think something is physically wrong with him and Doc is hoping to dump him on a bigger sap than he is.
Jones: An excellent foul sponge, but can this guy actually play basketball? I've never seen him do it. I know he used to on other teams but I don't remember. Was he signed for his excellent hacking form?
Wilcox: Not related to Doc. I don't really know what he can do.
Rivers: He's welcome as long as he remains cheap. He shoots layups like a sixth grader though. Might want to work on those kiddo.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#395 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 am

It certainly helped the Lakers that a guy named Earvin Johnson joined the team in 1979!
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#396 » by LACtdom » Mon May 18, 2015 2:56 am

nickhx2 wrote:
LACtdom wrote:I'd rather lose early and force management to make big changes instead of just falling short and keeping the same pieces for next season.

don't agree. if you are gonna lose, this is pretty much best possible way, cause

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

if you want change, it most often happens after hitting rock bottom. well for us, this is about as rock bottom as you can get. i don't want to see doc here next year. or jamal. or hawes. what just happened now is the biggest impetus for change we could have asked for.

if we can dump doc and get a real coach and gm, pick up a couple guys, we will be in pretty good shape come next year.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant lose early as in not make it out of the second round. We are both making the same point.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#397 » by TheNewEra » Mon May 18, 2015 3:25 am

Team disgusts me what a epic choke. Doc Rivers got outcoached by Kevin Mchale.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,902

Post#398 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 18, 2015 5:45 am

Tough way to end the season Clippers fans! I hate it when people say a team choked as I think it takes away from the team that came back. I didn't see any quit in your team and beating the Spurs in 7 was impressive. CP3 seemed to play well against the Rockets but I wonder how healthy he was after straining his hammy against the spurs. I am still shaking my head over how poorly Hawes played for you guys. When he signed with you I thought it was a great signing and that he would really help you out. He was someone I hoped we would target. Should be an interesting offseason for you guys and I look forward to our continued rivalry. I think that if the Warriors AND Clippers had made the WCF the earth may have been knocked of its axis!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#399 » by nickhx2 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:37 am

thank you for your well wishes. honestly a lot of warriors fans have done well to change my personal opinions of them and their team. don't take it the wrong way, i still would rather see atlanta or cleveland win it all but my hatred for GS is much less so after reading posts like yours and from other GS fans. if draymond green weren't on the team i would actually like GS quite a bit, i think. but hey i'd rather see GS win it all than houston, so that counts for something, right? lol

fwiw i thought hawes played fairly well against the rockets. on the season as a whole he didn't play well but he wasn't utilized as a center: he was used as a stretch 4 which is completely out of his comfort zone. plus a lot of what he did in the post season was far more due to the fact that doc didn't actually PLAY him, rather than him playing poorly. the times he did get in i thought he gave us meaningful minutes. it's too bad doc will probably try to make a hawes/DJ/blake package deal just to get rid of hawes's contract, cause i think with the right coach and some REAL trust he can do some good things for us.
mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#400 » by mike3 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:51 am

I wanna reply to so many things in this thread but it's all over.

Depth is obviously the main issue, as someone stated the Rockets won the series cause of Ariza, Smith, Brewer etc. DEPTH, their Howard and Harden is like our CP and Blake, they'll do what they'll do, and without them the Rockets don't win. But you need other guys to stand up.

I still know that we're the better team, I truely believe that, we just got out played.

Sucks big time.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers