Bill Simmons: Clippers as Dysfunctional as Ever

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Truth to the Hate 

Post#41 » by Neddy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 am

NYKAL wrote:
PS.: if my comments are unwelcome, I apologize.

any educated, civilized and thoughtful post are welcome here. no worries. we just dislike trolls and idiots. it's okay to disagree as long as both sides have merits. we respect Ranma and his thoughtful posts, and we respect your POV coming from first hand encounter and experience as a fan of the NYK's franchise.
ehhhhh f it.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#42 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Neddy wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

any educated, civilized and thoughtful post are welcome here. no worries. we just dislike trolls and idiots. it's okay to disagree as long as both sides have merits. we respect Ranma and his thoughtful posts, and we respect your POV coming from first hand encounter and experience as a fan of the NYK's franchise.

thanks man. You never really know what to expect when posting for the 1st time on another board. Like I said, Clips are my west coast squad and I've been lurking for a while. Can't wait until the season starts...good luck guys.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: Bill Simmons: Clippers as Dysfunctional as Ever 

Post#43 » by QRich3 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:13 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Wait, why would Austin stir up some sh*t on the front office of the team he plays for and his father directs? how does that benefit him in any way? and more importantly, why would he use Simmons of all people to do it?

I think Austin posted a tweet/was about to go somewhere his dad didnt want him to. I dont think Austin is the source, I think he is the smoke and Doc is the one leaking some of this info. Pure speculation, but why cant Doc use Simmons (or at least Simmons got his info from someone close to Doc)

Ha! that's so sick and twisted that it hadn't even occurred to me, and just for that reason it might even be true.

But no, it's pretty unlikely I'd say, Simmons has spent the better part of two years trying to weaken the general public's perception of Doc as a coach, an executive and specially as a person. Him going to Simmons of all people to get back at Zucker would be something out of a soap opera script. nor is anyone close to Doc gonna have a good relationship with Simmons, just because of the same reason, he's been attacking the whole front office pretty heavily to get back at Doc.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#44 » by TucsonClip » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:22 pm

QRich3 wrote:Ha! that's so sick and twisted that it hadn't even occurred to me, and just for that reason it might even be true.

But no, it's pretty unlikely I'd say, Simmons has spent the better part of two years trying to weaken the general public's perception of Doc as a coach, an executive and specially as a person. Him going to Simmons of all people to get back at Zucker would be something out of a soap opera script. nor is anyone close to Doc gonna have a good relationship with Simmons, just because of the same reason, he's been attacking the whole front office pretty heavily to get back at Doc.

I would say its a stretch, but its also a good play to keep the source of the information under wraps. I think that is why Doc was so upset over Austin's tweet (assuming he wasnt tweeting about his contract, which I dont think he would considering his dad is GM/coach).

Still, Doc or someone close to him being given the ok to leak (Wohl/Sacks?) some of this through Simmons does make sense. The TMZ report cites Simmons' tweets and then their sources as people inside the organization and players. I highly doubt these were rogue leaks. Doc gives the ok for Wohl/Sacks to get Simmons to highlight the case in a very Simmons way (anti Ballmer/Doc) and then the nod to Wohl/Sacks, his son and other players to leak through TMZ.

Finally, Simmons then tweets out the TMZ story and says "getting warmer." He also discloses that the firing/resignation of many long-time employees because of the non-basketball/Zucker side of things.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#45 » by nickhx2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 pm

if i had a long time completely irrational hater on me who was my own freddie lounds (hannibal!) for SURE i'd do this. i'd pick one random summer day and flood them with as much troll drivel as possible so i could attempt to obliterate any remaining credibility they had.

not even kidding.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Post#46 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:57 pm

nickhx2 wrote:if i had a long time completely irrational hater on me who was my own freddie lounds (hannibal!) for SURE i'd do this. i'd pick one random summer day and flood them with as much troll drivel as possible so i could attempt to obliterate any remaining credibility they had.

It's not just that, it's also to get rid of a person completely. Kind of like a lifetime ban, like how TMZ gave the NBA the power to finally ban Donald Sterling (they couldn't before because Sterling was slippery, and had friends in high places protecting him).

But revenge is too steep of a level on my part, it's practically evil. I would be honestly too chicken to do such a thing.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#47 » by Neddy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:17 am

NYKAL wrote:
Neddy wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

thanks man. You never really know what to expect when posting for the 1st time on another board. Like I said, Clips are my west coast squad and I've been lurking for a while. Can't wait until the season starts...good luck guys.

:thumbsup:

vast majority of the fellas in here are good guys who genuinely care about tho perpetual underdog franchise that is the clippers, for years, if not for decades. these guys won't attack anyone unless provoked, and I don't see that happening with you. good luck to your upcoming season and I do like me some Knicks as they were the franchise that got Mark Jackson's career started ( i hate that guy now but loved him as our point guard in the early 90s) and that's where Charles Smith went to end his... Malik Sealy was our guy who played "Stacy Patton" in your uni in the movie "eddie". there are a ton of relationship between the two franchises and I can't say I disliked John Starks Knicks as another undersized two guard in my day...

I hope you stick around and become an asset to our little haven that is RealGM Clipper forum.

see you around, brother.
ehhhhh f it.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

The Logo Is The Basis Of Bill Simmon's Tweets 

Post#48 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Clips Nation beat writer Justin Russo reveals that there is a rift. And it's all because of the logo.

(from Panic Over Patience: A Logo Story: http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story)

Purportedly, in late 2014, Gillian Zucker addressed the Clippers in-house design team and stated that she wanted a rebrand. There’s usually zero problem with doing that. Teams do it all the time and come up with new designs over a few years and make it work for themselves. The issue in this case is that Zucker urged the team that she wanted to unveil the new logo and stuff by June 2015. We’re talking doing everything she wanted within the time frame of roughly seven or eight months. That’s a tall task; and the staff let her know that it wasn’t enough time and that it would take approximately a year to do everything properly. She was not onboard with that idea.

Because of the design staff effectively informing her that it would take longer than she liked, Zucker then outsourced the logo to the Heat design team. In some ways that is a conflict of interest since, after all, they are part of the same umbrella of corporations – so to speak. In other ways, when someone allegedly offers you $1 million to do the job, you find a way to do the job and do it quickly. And so they did. In fact, they did it in approximately six or so weeks. Why did she pick the Heat? My source divulged to me that she has a peculiar liking to the Heat organization – as well as the Brooklyn Nets. This is where the all-black alternate uniforms that the Clippers might be wearing this season come into play.

Furthermore, the source informed that this is part of the reason why Zucker is looked at unfavorably inside the Clippers organization. Few like her at all and many find her oblivious. While no one can doubt that Zucker has a keen sense of business practice due to her time in NASCAR, it seems like she might be out of her element when it comes to the basketball landscape and dealings of this magnitude. She is also the reason that an unnamed player – one who I actually do happen to know the name of – decided not to return to the Clippers this upcoming season. There’s also a supposedly interesting non-Zucker related story surrounding Doc Rivers but that will have to be for a far later time.

Long story short, Zucker could get fired for having another team do the Clipper's logo.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

I Believe the Rumor 

Post#49 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 5, 2015 8:59 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Clips Nation beat writer Justin Russo reveals that there is a rift. And it's all because of the logo.

(from Panic Over Patience: A Logo Story: http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story)

Long story short, Zucker could get fired for having another team do the Clipper's logo.

Ms. Zucker has lost my support now. I've been saying for years that the Clippers needed a logo change because it was a Lakers knock-off...and she supposedly ups and goes with a design from a rival ballclub's design team that invokes elements from other teams. Absolutely ridiculous!

Plus, the notion that the priority was to get a new logo out as soon as possible taking precedence over doing it properly illustrates the lack of care and thought that went into the design we got. Hey, I admit I actually wrote to her (she received my attempt to write to Ballmer) that a logo change for the Clippers was long overdue and would embody the change in direction under new ownership, but what I meant with regards to urgency was that the process should have been started as soon as possible, not rushed. She even replied to me saying that such a process normally takes a couple of years.

Ranma wrote:Without approving or disapproving the logo concept as described in the opening post, I hope the team is working on having a new logo by 2016. I've been holding back buying gear in the hopes of investing in a more long-term representation of the team. I wrote an email to Ballmer back in September but never got a response, unsurprisingly.

However, I forwarded that same email to Gillian Zucker, the new president of business operations, a couple of months ago and she actually replied. She cited the 2-year process it would take to have a new logo and stated that, while the club was not opposed to changing the logo and would give it consideration, the Clippers' immediate attention would focus on addressing those issues that would have shorter time frames to implement. I appreciated the courtesy of her response.

Hey, I'm glad that she chose to make the logo change and rebranding a priority, but I'm disappointed that she neglected the importance of going through the proper design process. I even provided suggestions to incorporate historical and thematic elements for the proposed new logo, which she apparently ignored.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#50 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 9:13 pm

i actually kinda wanted to chime in on this.

whatever actually happened, this whole "dysfunction" business that simmons tried to blow up as a gigantic thing?

well, turns out nobody really cared and it apparently was pretty microscopic in the overall nba universe. what do you know
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#51 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:35 pm

LOL, I believe it because there has to be some reason why our new logo is not just bad, but seems to have no design concept/thought process whatsoever.

The only other plausible reason we have such a terrible logo is that Donald Sterling designed it (along with those horrible LA Times ads.)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers