Around the NBA II

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Re: Around the NBA II 

Post#2481 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:00 pm

esqtvd wrote:Doc never went after KL & Pandemic P for the Bubble

He was too busy using Zubac as his scapegoat instead. Then he casually threw Lue under the bus that offseason ("he was sitting next to me, it won't be much different").

Let's also not forget the meltdown against Houston that he publicly blamed on Gary Sacks.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#2482 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:07 pm

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#2483 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:12 pm

esqtvd wrote:JJ was vicious toward Doc and purely personal. It's simply uncalled for. Doc never did anything approaching this level

I can't remember a single time Doc ever failed and said "it's my fault, I didn't do a good enough coaching job, I let my players down. I need to do better in the future." Players, refs, general managers, the schedule, bad luck... despite him being the only common denominator, it's always been someone or something else's fault. Always, consistently, for over 25 years, to a level where it borders on self-parody.

Doc created all this bitterness towards him from his former players by being so quick to throw everyone else under the bus whenever it was convenient for him. If he had just admitted where he was falling short, none of this discourse would exist - and he would have been a much better and more accomplished coach anyway.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#2484 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:27 pm

esqtvd wrote:Doc blamed Zu? First I've heard that one, lol.

Read on Twitter

This was after Game 6 against Denver when Zubac, despite a rough offensive performance, was +11 and had been crashing the boards, while Doc's guy Trez was -19 and contributed nothing at all in any phase of the game. Rather than admit he was wrong, he threw Zu under the bus by implying they played equally bad.

He then made this transparent comment going into Game 7:

Read on Twitter

Guess whose playing time got reduced so Trez could spend 25 minutes being torched by Jokic defensively and not getting any rebounds again.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2485 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:31 pm

I don't really care whether Doc dodges blame or not. People have a right to defend themselves. And Zu DID have an effectiveness problem past 24 minutes. Still does. That was a basketball FACT, not a slag on Zu as a person. Doc was being attacked for not playing Zu more minutes, so he explained his thinking. Otherwise he sits there and takes the attacks from morons without response? Nobody does that.

The IRONY here is Hot Take Redick screaming like a madman and throwing DOC under the bus to try to build HIS brand. :lol:

A lot of Doc's former players love him. The ones who don't are IMO the guilty ones. After Pandemic P shat the bed, he tried to blame Doc. Doc handled it as well as can be expected, and better than PG deserved.

"The way I was being used, I felt Doc was trying to play me as like a Ray Allen or like a JJ Redick, all pin-downs. I can do it, but that ain't my game," George said.

Rivers responded with a somewhat muted response.

"Hey, listen, I enjoyed coaching him. So not a lot to say there,” Rivers said. “Listen, we lost the game, and I think everybody needs to take ownership. [Me] obviously. We can always do better. Players can play better. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll leave it there."
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#2486 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:37 pm

Does Doc get another HC job if it doesn't work out with the Bucks?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#2487 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 pm

How could I forget this gem?

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2488 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 pm

Zubac at age 26 is not the Zubac of age 22. And there were 22 games last year Ty didn't play Zubac in the 4th quarter AT ALL. It's been a process.

But it's moot. Doc didn't blame Zu. That's another lie. He played him as much as he thought he could handle.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2489 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:57 pm

wco81 wrote:Does Doc get another HC job if it doesn't work out with the Bucks?

I doubt it. Doc gets $10M a year for the next 4 years from the Bucks whether he coaches or not. And he certainly won't get another shot with a contender if he blows this one. All I could see is him getting itchy in a few years and maybe coaching kids with a basket-case franchise like Orlando, where I think he still has a home.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,206

Post#2490 » by og15 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:15 pm

esqtvd wrote:I don't really care whether Doc dodges blame or not. People have a right to defend themselves. And Zu DID have an effectiveness problem past 24 minutes. Still does. That was a basketball FACT, not a slag on Zu as a person. Doc was being attacked for not playing Zu more minutes, so he explained his thinking. Otherwise he sits there and takes the attacks from morons without response? Nobody does that.

The IRONY here is Hot Take Redick screaming like a madman and throwing DOC under the bus to try to build HIS brand. :lol:

A lot of Doc's former players love him. The ones who don't are IMO the guilty ones. After Pandemic P shat the bed, he tried to blame Doc. Doc handled it as well as can be expected, and better than PG deserved.

"The way I was being used, I felt Doc was trying to play me as like a Ray Allen or like a JJ Redick, all pin-downs. I can do it, but that ain't my game," George said.

"Hey, listen, I enjoyed coaching him. So not a lot to say there,” Rivers said. “Listen, we lost the game, and I think everybody needs to take ownership. [Me] obviously. We can always do better. Players can play better. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll leave it there."
Screaming about Doc doesn't build his brand, lol

Redick just got triggered by Doc's statements in a way none of the other participants who weren't coached by him and then had their team thrown under the bus would understand. Hence why Redick's wife even told him after that show that he needs to stop yelling, because it's not making him look good. He went on his own podcast and admitted that his delivery was not good, but he got wrapped up in the situation and context.

His Clippers guys wouldn't have said much about him if he didn't start revising history and then suddenly, they are like, come on, really? Doc brought it upon himself, that's the thing, it's not random and out of nowhere, he brought issues where there otherwise wouldn't be any, and weren't any for 8 years, not because he was trying to, but because when he gets questioned, at some point he will come up with some rationalization that he technically doesn't have to come up with. Like I said, this is simply a personality trait, it's just his means of self preservation.

Doc saying that those Clippers teams could never have won and he never thought they could have won because they never got along and didn't have cooperation hit all of them by surprise. First because that's not what they believed, especially as Jamal said, as a team who knocked out the Warriors the season before and knocked out the defending champs. Also they all have agreed that their chemistry was actually great in 13-14 and 14-15, sure they had issues here and there like every other team, but they enjoyed playing together, and it was in 15-16 and 16-17 when they had no chance to win anyways just based on health, etc that chemistry was declining, but Doc's comments made it seem like they never got along.

JJ had a much different disposition towards Doc before that, and Jamal probably wouldn't have made his "Doc is a great coach in the first year comment" on the TNT panel after the Bucks hired him. It's just what it is, you reap what you sow. Doc does not feel like he gets the respect he believes he should get as a coach, hence the "you wouldn't ask Pop that" comment, and he therefore tries to protect his coaching legacy and perception by some of the comments he makes after the fact.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2491 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:34 pm

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:I don't really care whether Doc dodges blame or not. People have a right to defend themselves. And Zu DID have an effectiveness problem past 24 minutes. Still does. That was a basketball FACT, not a slag on Zu as a person. Doc was being attacked for not playing Zu more minutes, so he explained his thinking. Otherwise he sits there and takes the attacks from morons without response? Nobody does that.

Redick just got triggered by Doc's statements in a way none of the other participants who weren't coached by him and then had their team thrown under the bus would understand. Hence why Redick's wife even told him after that show that he needs to stop yelling, because it's not making him look good. He went on his own podcast and admitted that his delivery was not good, but he got wrapped up in the situation and context.

His Clippers guys wouldn't have said much about him if he didn't start revising history and then suddenly, they are like, come on, really? Doc brought it upon himself, that's the thing, it's not random and out of nowhere, he brought issues where there otherwise wouldn't be any, and weren't any for 8 years, not because he was trying to, but because when he gets questioned, at some point he will come up with some rationalization that he technically doesn't have to come up with. Like I said, this is simply a personality trait, it's just his means of self preservation.

Doc saying that those Clippers teams could never have won and he never thought they could have won because they never got along and didn't have cooperation hit all of them by surprise. First because that's not what they believed, especially as Jamal said, as a team who knocked out the Warriors the season before and knocked out the defending champs. Also they all have agreed that their chemistry was actually great in 13-14 and 14-15, sure they had issues here and there like every other team, but they enjoyed playing together, and it was in 15-16 and 16-17 when they had no chance to win anyways just based on health, etc that chemistry was declining, but Doc's comments made it seem like they never got along.

JJ had a much different disposition towards Doc before that, and Jamal probably wouldn't have made his "Doc is a great coach in the first year comment" on the TNT panel after the Bucks hired him. It's just what it is, you reap what you sow. Doc does not feel like he gets the respect he believes he should get as a coach, hence the "you wouldn't as Pop that" comment, and he therefore he tries to protect his coaching legacy and perception by some of the comments he makes after the fact.

Asked and answered. NOT what Doc said. He said that IN RETROSPECT, he sees why Lob City couldn't win. They did not pull together. And Matt Barnes agreed. Egos. Their own worst enemy. And after leaving the Clippers, none of those guys got anywhere. Even CP was kicked to the curb by Beard in Houston and the Suns last year.

I'm not even saying Doc is a good coach; I just hate lies. And backstabbing jerks like JJ. Doc COULD have returned fire like Austin did, that JJ was good but also a liability on both ends when it came to Winning Time.

JJ looked like a hot take opportunist, and I gave you 3 other occasions when he beclowned himself attacking other people, including some legends. Jamal is a gentleman. He dissed Doc in a quiet, considered way, with no intent to embarrass Doc. Like a professional.

And now Doc has another $40 million in the bank from the Bucks. So here's to you, JJ Redick. :kissmybutt:
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2492 » by esqtvd » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:42 am

oh I missed this one
Thanks, Doc

you disappointed a lot of people around here :lol:

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,206

Post#2493 » by og15 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:44 pm

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:

JJ had a much different disposition towards Doc before that, and Jamal probably wouldn't have made his "Doc is a great coach in the first year comment" on the TNT panel after the Bucks hired him. It's just what it is, you reap what you sow. Doc does not feel like he gets the respect he believes he should get as a coach, hence the "you wouldn't as Pop that" comment, and he therefore he tries to protect his coaching legacy and perception by some of the comments he makes after the fact.

Asked and answered. NOT what Doc said. He said that IN RETROSPECT, he sees why Lob City couldn't win. They did not pull together. And Matt Barnes agreed. Egos. Their own worst enemy. And after leaving the Clippers, none of those guys got anywhere. Even CP was kicked to the curb by Beard in Houston and the Suns last year.

I'm not even saying Doc is a good coach; I just hate lies. And backstabbing jerks like JJ. Doc COULD have returned fire like Austin did, that JJ was good but also a liability on both ends when it came to Winning Time.

JJ looked like a hot take opportunist, and I gave you 3 other occasions when he beclowned himself attacking other people, including some legends. Jamal is a gentleman. He dissed Doc in a quiet, considered way, with no intent to embarrass Doc. Like a professional.

And now Doc has another $40 million in the bank from the Bucks. So here's to you, JJ Redick. :kissmybutt:

I'll just leave this as my "response" and let's no go into an attack the messenger, because that's the default stuff. This is representative of what most players think:

Like Draymond says, "nobody disputed what JJ actually said, they instead attacked his playing career, and the reason is because they didn't disagree with that he said". Then also mentioned that people also focused on the delivery, which even JJ himself admitted was over the top with him getting caught up in the moment, and not with the content, and again, that's another sign that when people attack the delivery and the messenger, but don't dispute the content, that's generally a sign that people don't have an argument against the content. If the content is just ridiculous, we generally will just go after the content of the message.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2494 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:57 pm

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:Screaming about Doc doesn't build his brand, lol

I'll just leave this as my "response" and let's no go into an attack the messenger, because that's the default stuff. This is representative of what most players think:

Like Draymond says, "nobody disputed what JJ actually said, they instead attacked his playing career, and the reason is because they didn't disagree with that he said". Then also mentioned that people also focused on the delivery, which even JJ himself admitted was over the top with him getting caught up in the moment, and not with the content, and again, that's another sign that when people attack the delivery and the messenger, but don't dispute the content, that's generally a sign that people don't have an argument against the content. If the content is just ridiculous, we generally will just go after the content of the message.

Yes, it was the viciousness that was the issue. Jamal planted some gentle digs at Doc, which is professional. What JJ did was not.

But Doc was also setting the record straight--he didn't stab Adrian Griffin in the back. The Bucks ownership said, hey, we've already fired him, do you want the job? Knowing that it might be now or never to get another shot with a team this good, he took it, although the timing was far from ideal. So yes, he was making "excuses" for the poor [3-7] start, and very reasonable excuses they are. Since then, they beat the first-place Timberwolves on the road, and blew out Philly yesterday.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#2495 » by clipperlover » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:30 am

I always hated Redick and the trade for him. He was bench level player that Doc gave the starting spot to vice earning it. He was a terrible defender, but Doc kept on trotting him out there.

That said, J.J. was spot on with his comments. Doc is a broken record that gets coddled by the media. Silver Spoon coming to Daddy's defense is laughable and shows the underlying tension Silver Spoon's presence caused in L.A.. His presence damaged team chemistry. In his comments, Spoon accidentally gave insight into his dad's team.

Spoon's comments: "We had to sit you", "Our whole system was drafted around you". Hmm, didn't realize he was on the coaching staff.

Sorry Spoon, but J.J. was there before you got there. J.J. was on the losing end of minutes while your Dad force fed you minutes. Yet, J.J. still outplayed you while getting paid much less than you. He didn't have his dad unjustly enriching him in the NBA. One day the truth will come out about how badly Spoon negatively impacted the Lob City team.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2496 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 am

Can't have it both ways. If JJ sucked, Doc sure made him a lot of money he didn't deserve after he left the Clippers. [$23M with the Sixers.]

As for Austin, his final year here, he scored 15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting with 4 apg as a combo guard. I'd take those numbers from Mann [7.9 ppg, 47%/32%, 3.4 rebs].
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#2497 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:18 am

esqtvd wrote:Can't have it both ways. If JJ sucked, Doc sure made him a lot of money he didn't deserve after he left the Clippers. [$23M with the Sixers.]

As for Austin, his final year here, he scored 15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting with 4 apg as a combo guard. I'd take those numbers from Mann [7.9 ppg, 47%/32%, 3.4 rebs].

What a joke.

Let's at least try to make things more apples to apples:
1. Spoon made $11.8M in 2017-2018 dollars vice Mann making $10.6M in 2023-2024 post Covid inflation dollars
2. Spoon 33.7 MPG, 13.2 shots/gm, and 5.9 3s/gm, Mann 25.4 MPG, 6.5 shots/gm, 2.9 3s/gm
3. Spoon #3 in shot attempts/gm and #2 in 3 attempts/gm for his team, Mann #7 and #6 respectively for his team
4. Spoon chucking up shots on a non-playoff team, Mann playing his role on the team with a Big 3 and with a chance to get the #1 seed in the West.

Are we saying that Mann couldn't average similar numbers on a non-playoff team? Mann couldn't put up similar numbers if his mom was coaching the team and giving him undeserved minutes over other players?

Keep on defending Spoon, but let's not act like he would do any better than Mann on this team. Spoon will NEVER have a game like Mann's Game 6 to lead us into the WCF with Kawhi out.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2498 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:29 am

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Can't have it both ways. If JJ sucked, Doc sure made him a lot of money he didn't deserve after he left the Clippers. [$23M with the Sixers.]

What a joke.

Let's at least try to make things more apples to apples:
1. Spoon made $11.8M in 2017-2018 dollars vice Mann making $10.6M in 2023-2024 post Covid inflation dollars
2. Spoon 33.7 MPG, 13.2 shots/gm, and 5.9 3s/gm, Mann 25.4 MPG, 6.5 shots/gm, 2.9 3s/gm
3. Spoon #3 in shot attempts/gm and #2 in 3 attempts/gm for his team, Mann #7 and #6 respectively for his team
4. Spoon chucking up shots on a non-playoff team, Mann playing his role on the team with a Big 3 and with a chance to get the #1 seed in the West.

Are we saying that Mann couldn't average similar numbers on a non-playoff team? Mann couldn't put up similar numbers if his mom was coaching the team and giving him undeserved minutes over other players?

Keep on defending Spoon, but let's not act like he would do any better than Mann on this team. Spoon will NEVER have a game like Mann's Game 6 to lead us into the WCF with Kawhi out.

Just setting the facts straight. Again. If JJ sucked as much as you say, he owed all that money he made to Doc lol. If he lost any minutes To Austin, it's because he couldn't play the point and Austin can. But mostly it's as Austin said--JJ was useless in the 4th quarter, on both ends. He lost those minutes to Jamal, not Austin. And when he moved to Philly, he only averaged 2 more minutes for Brett Brown than he did for Doc. [And shot much less efficiently.]

I get you don't seem to like Austin. :lol: We've been through the facts 100 times:

Austin hit the jackpot in that crazy $$ summer of 2016. Everybody got crazy contracts. Because they were capped out, the Clippers could only re-sign their OWN free agents, who were Austin and Jamal. Right place, right time. The Clippers had no choice but to pay market price.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-12-worst-nba-contracts-of-infamous-2016-free-agency-with-most-finally-expiring-this-offseason/

And he earned his money as a Clipper. Had several great playoff games, especially the heroic Game 6 against Portland where he went 21/6/8 with a broken face.

[Which may have pumped up his market value that summer. He was still only 23 and looked to have turned a corner.]

Always gave 100% and did quite well his final season here. He pretty much fell apart after he was shipped out, but that's not our lookout. Although he hung around another five years, I think he lost his heart for the game.

As for Mann, he always gets a pass on this board and Austin gets the hate. So it goes. I think Mann's a bit better all-around, but not to the degree of the emotions here.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,097

Post#2499 » by LamarWho » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:20 am

Watching DLo lighting up the Bucks like the 4th of July. Doc's adjustment? Let the players figure it out.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,423

Post#2500 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:46 pm

LamarWho wrote:Watching DLo lighting up the Bucks like the 4th of July. Doc's adjustment? Let the players figure it out.

Doc blew another huge lead last night.

Must be nice to play a team that can't make even wide open shots- seems like that never happens against the Clippers.

If the Clippers aren't careful, the Lakers might catch them in the standings. Seems like the Clippers can only win against teams that are essentially trying to lose (Portland).

Return to Los Angeles Clippers