ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#421 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:19 am

Sofia wrote:Wouldn’t be mad if they kicked the tyres on Buddy

Ballmer--I'm convinced it's Ballmer--doesn't want to part with anybody. If you examine his l̸e̸a̸d̸e̸r̸s̸h̸i̸p̸ stewardship at Microsoft, where he became one of the richest men in the world, he took zero chances. Apple kicked Microsoft's ass by going all-in on the iPhone. Microsoft just swept up the rest with the PC market because Apple kept a [fascist] control of their code, and third parties couldn't get in.

Ballmer's embrace of "open code" made the PC the most popular computer but not the best. And as a basketball owner, Ballmer is in turns sentimental [hugging Kawhi as everything turned to s*hit in the playoffs last year], ruthless [declaring Blake a "Clipper For Life" and comparing him to Martin Luther King, then dumping him in NBA Siberia (Detroit) 3 months later], and indifferent [4 great Clippers-Bev and Lou and Trezz and Reggie kicked to the curb without a word].

I believe it was Ballmer who chickened out on the Brogdon deal, yes? If Ballmer wanted it done it was DONE.

Code: Select all

“[The Clippers] were ready to trade [Marcus] Morris, [Amir] Coffey and the draft pick that was later used on [Kobe] Brown to complete the deal,” Murray wrote.

But it wasn’t meant to be. Per Marc Stein, the Clippers grew concerned over Brogdon’s uncertain injury condition, likely in regards to a partial tendon tear in his elbow. They soon changed their minds and nixed the deal. The Celtics and Wizards still wanted a similar trade to go through and eventually made one, but without the Clippers.

“But after expressing misgivings with Brogdon’s injury history,” Murray wrote, “The Clippers ran out of time to complete the deal before the Celtics moved on to a three-team trade in which they kept Brogdon and traded Marcus Smart to the Memphis Grizzlies instead.”

All fingers point to Ballmer. Just reminding y'all. We could have dumped Mook [poison] and his contract [bigger poison]. For Brogdon, who can actually play. Even if he can't play this year. The elbow will come around. It's not a knee.

As for Buddy Hield, I don't think he's a fit unless the Pacers want to swap SGs with no D, Powell for Hield. But they can do better, I think. I'm not a huge T-Mann booster but he's a solid bits-and-pieces guy who will be much more effective off the bench than a Hield or Powell, ball-intensive SGs who don't shoot particularly well. I would probably do Hield for Powell/Mann, but if Ballmer were to put Mann on the trading block, Daryl Morey is getting desperate over there.

Harden has his negatives, but let's not EVEN put Hield in the same tier. IND is looking for a package that Morey would probably settle for.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#422 » by ejftw » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:26 pm

Yeah, I don't see any sort of move for Buddy unless it's to be roped into a Harden trade with Hield to Philly and Powell to Indiana to help the 76ers keep their cap as clear as possible
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#423 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:51 pm

What do you guys think of Jrue Holiday? I would rather get Harden on the cheap, but Holiday is the better overall player. All these various options make us older, but I don't see us as a real contender right now as is (not that we should give up too much for one of these guys.)

There is also talk of a 3-team with Blazers and Sixers to send Jrue to Sixers and Harden to us. I like that idea perhaps the best, if we can get better trade value facilitating Jrue to the Sixers.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,299

Post#424 » by nickhx2 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:17 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:What do you guys think of Jrue Holiday? I would rather get Harden on the cheap, but Holiday is the better overall player. All these various options make us older, but I don't see us as a real contender right now as is (not that we should give up too much for one of these guys.)

There is also talk of a 3-team with Blazers and Sixers to send Jrue to Sixers and Harden to us. I like that idea perhaps the best, if we can get better trade value facilitating Jrue to the Sixers.

i'm not sure i've ever been impressed with any guard on defense as i have been with jrue - even as he gets older

and while not having seen so much of him the last couple years i can confidently say just how he would impact our team's offense and defense compared to harden (i mean i haven't seen that much of harden either tbh), conceptually when you add a vicious defender to two already very good wings, as well as a solid piece in zu, the lineup starts to turn into one of those "greater than the sum of their parts" kinda things

and i think that this teams needs a lot more of that than it wants the offensive side of that: which, you know, if this was tip top shape james harden just a year or two off of his once mvp-level play? i could get with that. but that's not where he's at now, and there's a legitimate headache component that is so potentially an issue that i don't see how his addition is better than jrue's.

fortunately the team's already signaled that harden isn't their way forward, but if it came down to the two i think it's clear that acquiring jrue's the way to go
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,708

Post#425 » by KL2 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:18 pm

Reggie Bullock was just bought out. Why are so many on Twitter thinking he’s a Clipper?

Keaton Wallace is on the Hawks training camp roster.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#426 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 3, 2023 12:00 am

Jason Preston, we hardly knew ye...

It's a shame for him personally, he loses out on that near-$2M option year. Maybe he can land on somewhere else.
KL2
Analyst

Post#427 » by KL2 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Fungus_Amongus
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#428 » by Fungus_Amongus » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:11 pm

Now we need PFs with length. Any trade ideas? I think Boucher and Porter from Toronto are realistic targets. Maybe even both in one trade for Powell.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#429 » by ejftw » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:25 pm

Well, down to one roster spot with Primo being converted
KL2
Analyst

Post#430 » by KL2 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:52 pm

Must be high on Primo to covert his contract no? Or a trade that will consolidate the guard position?

I like Moon but how many times are we going to do this?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#431 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:40 pm

PJ washington if Hornets still serious about Miles Bridges.
Kelly Oynyk.
Wendell Carter as Magic looked better with Wagner brother and Goga Bitadze.
All 3 have different but sharper offensive skills to close out games in the playoffs.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
ejftw
General Manager

Post#432 » by ejftw » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:54 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:PJ washington if Hornets still serious about Miles Bridges.
Kelly Oynyk.
All 3 have different but sharper offensive skills to close out games in the playoffs.

Maybe KO can be an option, but no way there's a road to Carter nor PJ.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#433 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Nov 7, 2023 10:58 am

ejftw wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:PJ washington if Hornets still serious about Miles Bridges.
Kelly Oynyk.

Maybe KO can be an option, but no way there's a road to Carter nor PJ.

I don't think any of them are untouchable. They are not Terrance Mann after all :lol:

Seriously though, especially after Mason injury, I would force my hand with Mason + N. Powell for Wendell + Filler(Okeke maybe).

Kelly would be the most cheaper but I don't think Utah will be interested in Norman as they already rostered tons of scorer guard(Clarkson-Sexton-Keyonte etc.) But If T.Mann would come in to play, Maybe Powell + Mann for John Collins.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,959

Post#434 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:17 am

Wenyen Gabriel?
JaMychal Green?
Rudy Gay?
Nerlens Noel?
Dewayne Dedmon?

Clippers got to be making some phone calls right now right? They need another big man on the roster sooner than later after the Plumlee injury.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Be Prepared For A No-Big Season 

Post#435 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:37 am

I have a feeling Clippers may pivot from a true big man and go the masquerade route. Like they did a long time ago with guards and power forwards pretending to be a small forward with Lob City; and then shooting guards, forwards and centers pretending to be a point guard up until the acquisitions of Westbrook and Harden; now they'll be looking towards their guards and forwards all pretending to be a center. Their last hurrah campaign could end up leading Clippers into trading Zubac and going for a guard whose arm length has center reach. In other words, Antetokoumpo-like.

Keep an eye out for the Clippers to make a bold move just because it is their last hurrah. But the move may be for a small forward or guard.
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Be Prepared For A No-Big Season 

Post#436 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 8, 2023 11:13 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:I have a feeling Clippers may pivot from a true big man and go the masquerade route. Like they did a long time ago with guards and power forwards pretending to be a small forward with Lob City; and then shooting guards, forwards and centers pretending to be a point guard up until the acquisitions of Westbrook and Harden; now they'll be looking towards their guards and forwards all pretending to be a center. Their last hurrah campaign could end up leading Clippers into trading Zubac and going for a guard whose arm length has center reach. In other words, Antetokoumpo-like.

Keep an eye out for the Clippers to make a bold move just because it is their last hurrah. But the move may be for a small forward or guard.

I don't see why the Clippers wouldn't throw a 10-day at SOMEBODY. Meyers Leonard took two 10-days from the Bucks last spring until they finally signed him for the rest of the year.

I can only suppose that some of the better FAs out there like Noel and Dedmon are waiting for better opportunities than just being a injury stopgap. Or that the Clippers are going to give Diabate a little burn to see if he can really contribute at an NBA level.

But as underwhelming as Plumlee has been, the results last year without a genuine backup for Zu were disastrous.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#437 » by Ballings7 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 8:08 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273627/Clippers-Interested-In-Trading-For-Daniel-Theis

Liked what I've seen of Theis, gets after it defensively, on gladd, and isn't nothing on offense either - wouldn't be a mediocre option at backup C or third string either (in case Plumlee is back this year).

Wonder what package would go out?
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#438 » by Devilanche » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:58 am

esqtvd wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:I have a feeling Clippers may pivot from a true big man and go the masquerade route. Like they did a long time ago with guards and power forwards pretending to be a small forward with Lob City; and then shooting guards, forwards and centers pretending to be a point guard up until the acquisitions of Westbrook and Harden; now they'll be looking towards their guards and forwards all pretending to be a center. Their last hurrah campaign could end up leading Clippers into trading Zubac and going for a guard whose arm length has center reach. In other words, Antetokoumpo-like.

I don't see why the Clippers wouldn't throw a 10-day at SOMEBODY. Meyers Leonard took two 10-days from the Bucks last spring until they finally signed him for the rest of the year.

I can only suppose that some of the better FAs out there like Noel and Dedmon are waiting for better opportunities than just being a injury stopgap. Or that the Clippers are going to give Diabate a little burn to see if he can really contribute at an NBA level.

But as underwhelming as Plumlee has been, the results last year without a genuine backup for Zu were disastrous.

10 days contract would be 2 months away

https://sportsbrief.com/nba/36431-how-a-10-day-contract-nba-everything-explained/
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#439 » by esqtvd » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Devilanche wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

10 days contract would be 2 months away

https://sportsbrief.com/nba/36431-how-a-10-day-contract-nba-everything-explained/

Thanks. The only reasonable excuse.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#440 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:13 pm

do the Clippers have the resources to trade for Myles Turner? He would be an ideal big man- can stretch the floor and is a solid defender.

It would be great to be able to trade Powell in such a deal but they likely have no interest due to all of their guards.

How about Zubac and Mann for Turner? I would prefer to trade Westbrook instead of Mann but the Pacers likely have no interest in Westbrook either.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers