ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Re: OK, Whining is over / Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) (merged thread) 

Post#21 » by ejftw » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 pm

Wonder if we can talk the Pelicans into a Morris/Graham swap....Graham isn't the point guard we need but it would also save around $6M over the next two years and Graham's extra year is only 2.6M guaranteed, so not taking on anything extra really.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,769

Re: OK, Whining is over / Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) (merged thread) 

Post#22 » by KL2 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter
ejftw
General Manager

Post#23 » by ejftw » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:27 am

Didn't know the NBA needed to confirm that...was there a tie breaker?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,841

Post#24 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 pm

Priority 1- re-sign RoCo. After that it’s point guard, Morris, center in no particular order, with Kennard as possible package piece seems to be the general consensus. The net effect should be consolidation, I’d like to see room for Amir because he can be a really solid rotation piece going forward.

I think Kennard has solidified his shooting and improved his defense and is now reasonably worthy of his contract, especially for a team looking to really boost their 3PT shooting. If he can get a little better shooting in traffic but maintain that % he becomes even better, that’s about the only thing I’d like to see him improve at (in terms of realistic improvement.) But Norm is obviously still our #1 off guard so Kennard becomes a piece that can be moved.

I’m not pushing Brogdon either, but injury concerns and/or contract:value are gonna be the red flags you have to accept to get a guy like Brogdon for cheap (without going full Westbrook LOL.) For example, what if it was Brogdon for Morris + minimum money filler? I think the upside is bigger than the downside in that hypothetical.

Obviously there’s hopefully a healthier option out there. I will say with all the names and scenarios mentioned here, my guess is that we will be able to find a good value trade that fits our needs this off-season. Maybe not the same haul as Norm/RoCo, but something we will be pleasantly surprised at.
KL2
Analyst

Post#25 » by KL2 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:18 pm

ejftw wrote:Didn't know the NBA needed to confirm that...was there a tie breaker?

I’m sorry. I just realized the 2nd part to that tweet wasn’t posted. It’s because the Heat and Bucks lost picks for their respective tampering. There will be only 58 picks this year.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#26 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:58 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Priority 1- re-sign RoCo. After that it’s point guard, Morris, center in no particular order, with Kennard as possible package piece seems to be the general consensus. The net effect should be consolidation, I’d like to see room for Amir because he can be a really solid rotation piece going forward.

I think Kennard has solidified his shooting and improved his defense and is now reasonably worthy of his contract, especially for a team looking to really boost their 3PT shooting. If he can get a little better shooting in traffic but maintain that % he becomes even better, that’s about the only thing I’d like to see him improve at (in terms of realistic improvement.) But Norm is obviously still our #1 off guard so Kennard becomes a piece that can be moved.

I’m not pushing Brogdon either, but injury concerns and/or contract:value are gonna be the red flags you have to accept to get a guy like Brogdon for cheap (without going full Westbrook LOL.) For example, what if it was Brogdon for Morris + minimum money filler? I think the upside is bigger than the downside in that hypothetical.

Obviously there’s hopefully a healthier option out there. I will say with all the names and scenarios mentioned here, my guess is that we will be able to find a good value trade that fits our needs this off-season. Maybe not the same haul as Norm/RoCo, but something we will be pleasantly surprised at.

Spurs sign&trade L.Walker(3/50m) for M.Morris and pick 43.
Then, We trade Kennard&Mann&Zubac to Pacers for M.Turner&TJ Mcconnell.

Reggie/TJ
Pg13/ Powell
Kawhi/Walker
Covington/Batum
Turner/Hartenstein for MLE

Coffey&BJ Boston for 11&12th spots.
Stretch 5 Defensive Center that can play 30+ minutes solved.
Backup PG solved.
Athleticism? Turner&Walker solved.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
ejftw
General Manager

Post#27 » by ejftw » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Priority 1- re-sign RoCo. After that it’s point guard, Morris, center in no particular order, with Kennard as possible package piece seems to be the general consensus. The net effect should be consolidation, I’d like to see room for Amir because he can be a really solid rotation piece going forward.

Reggie/TJ
Pg13/ Powell
Kawhi/Walker
Covington/Batum

Backup PG solved.

Clippers can not acquire a player via S&T due to the apron, and even if they could, San Antonio wouldn't consider that, nor would Indiana.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,435

Post#28 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:19 pm

I largely agree about Brogdon for Morris and filler--except for the whole four years left on his deal thing. Four years. I'd probably want some low picks picks--maybe a low first and a second--too. Really. That injury record is an issue. His value in trade is (much) lower as a result.

I kind of agree about Luke--but I want to point out that a package of TMann and Morris might be attractive to Charlotte for Rozier. They've got LaMelo now at the point. Bridges is already a 20+ ppg guy, and Cody Martin looks totally capable (and a good defender!) at the 2. They'll need to pay up in a year or so, and this is a way to get under/around that and also help the team. And Mann and Mook would help that team. I just have a feeling that, now that there's at least two other 20 ppg guys on the team, one of them at PG, that Charlotte might be willing to move Rozier. He'd be a stellar addition.

btw, for the big, one word: Orlando. They have the following players with options or under contract next year: Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter Jr., Jonathan Isaac, Chuma Okeke and Moritz Wagner. They're likely to get a PF/C in the draft this year. Something has to give there. Someone's going to be on the move. Carter had a great year--but he also has to play out of position next to Bamba. Mook and Mann for Carter and Terrence Ross (who has a lousy contract with a year left on it) would be terrific. Or, we could do a Brogdon-esque dice roll for Jonathan Isaac, who has missed even more time--but is much younger, and would command some picks too. A future Orlando first along with the 32 and 35 this year, at a minimum, for Mook.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#29 » by ejftw » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm

This is definitely going to be out of left field and probably hated by most here, but I wonder if the Spurs would pay their high second and another future or two to dump Zach Collins into the Bev TPE.

Collins could be an interesting rehab project, and having that high second could be combined to move up high enough to snag a Jovic or Koloko.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#30 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:38 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:

I largely agree about Brogdon for Morris and filler--except for the whole four years left on his deal thing. Four years. I'd probably want some low picks picks--maybe a low first and a second--too. Really. That injury record is an issue. His value in trade is (much) lower as a result.

I kind of agree about Luke--but I want to point out that a package of TMann and Morris might be attractive to Charlotte for Rozier. They've got Lonzo now at the point. Bridges is already a 20+ ppg guy, and Cody Martin looks totally capable (and a good defender!) at the 2. They'll need to pay up in a year or so, and this is a way to get under/around that and also help the team. And Mann and Mook would help that team. I just have a feeling that, now that there's at least two other 20 ppg guys on the team, one of them at PG, that Charlotte might be willing to move Rozier. He'd be a stellar addition.

btw, for the big, one word: Orlando. They have the following players with options or under contract next year: Mo Bamba, Wendell Carter Jr., Jonathan Isaac, Chuma Okeke and Moritz Wagner. They're likely to get a PF/C in the draft this year. Something has to give there. Someone's going to be on the move. Carter had a great year--but he also has to play out of position next to Bamba. Mook and Mann for Carter and Terrence Ross (who has a lousy contract with a year left on it) would be terrific. Or, we could do a Brogdon-esque dice roll for Jonathan Isaac, who has missed even more time--but is much younger, and would command some picks too. A future Orlando first along with the 32 and 35 this year, at a minimum, for Mook.

What's weird about Rozier is that he doesn't look like a very good player whenever I watch him play (which admittedly isn't very often), but his stats look good overall.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#31 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:53 am

ejftw wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

Reggie/TJ
Pg13/ Powell
Kawhi/Walker
Covington/Batum

Backup PG solved.

Clippers can not acquire a player via S&T due to the apron, and even if they could, San Antonio wouldn't consider that, nor would Indiana.

You right, I can cut Spurs part. I think there are trades we could discover in the market with package of Morris&future second rounder for a younger piece.

Also, in the Indi trade, I think you are undervaluing our players, or overvaluing others.

This FO got Norm+RoCo for Koen+Bled+Winslow and I'm pretty sure you would say Portland wouldn't consider that trade if someone else wrote it before happened as hypotetycal like this one. Anything Possible. :nod:
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,287

Post#32 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:11 am

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#33 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:10 pm

I think we need to be creative and make some big moves. Luckily taking on more salary shouldn't be an issue for Ballmer.

- If Bulls and Lavine have disagreement on contract extension, we could explore and S&T with them. A combination of Powell, Morris, Kennard, Mann could do it.
- If Bucks fall short this year, and want to reduce payroll, we could look into getting Jrue Holiday.
- If Jazz fall short, they might look into trading Gobert and/or Conley. Gobert would be a tough sell for us due to his salary though.
- Pacers are gonna want to trade Brogdon. But I'd rather explore acquiring Rubio via S&T. Myles Turner would be great, but he'd be on an expiring deal, so I'd be reluctant to give up any assets for him, unless he agrees to an extension prior to the trade.
- Nets can fall short, and Kyrie will probably decline his PO. Again an S&T opportunity might come up for us. If we are lucky, we'd have two of Kyrie, PG or Kawhi uninjured at any given time.
- Hawks might be willing to part with one of Capela or Collins. I'm not sure if they'd want any of our available players besides Powell though.
- Christian Wood from Houston. Expiring deal, Rockets arent going anywhere, and they might be willing to give Sengun more minutes. This might require a 3rd team to complete, as they'd most likely won't want a long deal and an FRP in the deal.
- S&T for Collin Sexton is a possibility as mentioned before.
- If Mavs resign Brunson, they will be looking at total salaries north of $170M. They'd look to unload Dinwiddie, but they'd want draft picks no doubt, so again a 3rd team would be needed.

3rd team on potential trades could be Blazers. Portland is a potential suitor for Zubac, Kennard, Morris, if they decide to keep Lillard, as they'd be looking to improve immediately.
KL2
Analyst

Post#34 » by KL2 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm

I hope this is ok to post here. Lawrence Frank gave his exit interview this morning. Maybe still going. Not sure as I’m still catching up.

Read on Twitter

Click on the link to read the entire thread.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#35 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:45 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:This FO got Norm+RoCo for Koen+Bled+Winslow and I'm pretty sure you would say Portland wouldn't consider that trade if someone else wrote it before happened as hypotetycal like this one. Anything Possible. :nod:

The Clipper FO has always been good at searching out for good trade opportunities, rather than say specifically shopping one or more of our guys for specific players on other teams. We have a couple of different ways to improve the team (what team doesn't?), and we have essentially a roster with too much depth but this makes for a great trade toolkit.

I remember Jerry West saying in an interview that good trades can take months to set up and eventually execute, you have to develop relationships, get a good understanding of other teams' needs and goals, etc. That's how I think some of our recent trades were pulled off, especially the recent Portland trade. We are also very tight-lipped, so that gives other teams confidence in talking to us. I think that all goes into how we were able to land Norm and RoCo without giving up any of our current core players.

So I wouldn't be surprised if we make 2 moves this offseason- one being a out of left field great value trade that may or may not address say our point guard situation but definitely improves the talent level of the team. And then maybe another trade where we cast a narrower net to bring in a point guard, but more along the lines of an equal value for value transaction.

If we can do both in a single trade, great. But that will depend on what other teams are trying to do themselves.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#36 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:56 pm

We all knew but it's nice to hear it from the horse's mouth...
(RoCo, not the Kawhi quote)

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst

Post#37 » by KL2 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:38 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033319-latest-buzz-on-john-wall-nba-play-in-tournament-winners-and-losers

More Wall speculation.

If the Rockets are unable to find a trade for Wall before the June 23 NBA draft, all signs now point to Houston and Wall's representation revisiting buyout talks prior to free agency in July. In that event, Wall would become an unrestricted free agent, and the Clippers, along with the Miami Heat, have been mentioned by league sources as strong potential landing spots for him.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#38 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:20 pm

KL2 wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033319-latest-buzz-on-john-wall-nba-play-in-tournament-winners-and-losers

More Wall speculation.

If the Rockets are unable to find a trade for Wall before the June 23 NBA draft, all signs now point to Houston and Wall's representation revisiting buyout talks prior to free agency in July. In that event, Wall would become an unrestricted free agent, and the Clippers, along with the Miami Heat, have been mentioned by league sources as strong potential landing spots for him.

At this point I think there's little chance of a trade materializing, and you'd think a buyout makes sense for both Wall and Houston. We're obviously a good contender with a need at his position. I am guessing we can also offer the most among contending teams with one of our TPE's (not saying we should offer the full amount, just that we have the most room.)

Not sure how our cap situation looks after hopefully re-signing RoCo first. But if we only kept RoCo and signed Wall that would be reasonable IMO entering the season (if no good trade opportunities materialized.)
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 788

Post#39 » by donemilio21 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:55 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Not sure how our cap situation looks after hopefully re-signing RoCo first. But if we only kept RoCo and signed Wall that would be reasonable IMO entering the season (if no good trade opportunities materialized.)

Salary cap is $122M, Luxury tax threshold is $149M for next year.
We have $159.6M committed to 11 players, assuming we pick up Zubac's CO and Batum picks up his $3.3M PO (unlikely). Hartenstien and Roco are FAs while Coffey is RFA. If we sign RoCo to $13M, Hartenstein to $7M and Coffey and Batum come back for $8M each, we'd be at $196M. We might be hard capped at that point.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#40 » by nickhx2 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:24 pm

it's also jake fischer so it's basically just him asking random execs around the league what they THINK might POSSIBLY COULD happen even though they don't know jack monkey squat

Return to Los Angeles Clippers