ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#461 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:39 am

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
my goodness. names of O'neale and Finney-Smith are in the same sentence with a first round pick. No effing way.
I still have nightmares about the picks we gave up for Jared Dudley or Jeff Green, which ended up being OG Anunby and Mathias Thybulle.

For context: The Anonuby pick was swapped first by Milwaukee ALONG WITH NORMAN POWELL for the legendary Greivis Vásquez, lol. And Anonuby didn't even average 10 ppg until FIVE YEARS LATER.

When you're faced with a win-now scenario, a "maybe" 5 years down the line is not a consideration.

As for Matisse Thybulle, it's 7 years later and he still hasn't done anything in the NBA. Terance Mann is better and he was drafted at #48. [BTW, I'm projecting Mann as the centerpiece of any deal for a PF/C. Coffey has been doing almost as well in that role, and the new PF/C would get a lot of Mann's minutes anyway.]

I'm not in favor of trading future first round picks for guys that may or may not move the needle. Especially a pick that will be convened after Kawhi's extension concludes.

Neither am I. But their value is theoretical. There are many more examples where they were worthless. Anonuby was one that actually wasn't, but the pick was first swapped again and took years to turn into an actual useful player.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#462 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:34 am

It's refreshing to not have to hold our breaths until ASB waiting to get a point guard (or get rid of Marcus Morris...)
Fungus_Amongus
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#463 » by Fungus_Amongus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:22 pm

The announced price of 2 1st round picks for Finney-Smith is ridiculous. He is just an average role-player, not Siakam, not Jerami Grant. His advanced stats are pretty poor, his shot is OK, but not recently. In his last 10 games, he's shooting just 26% from the field and 22.6% from the 3-point line. His defense is good, as I remember from his time playing for Dallas, but not at the All-defensive teams level. His size at PF is not quite what Clippers need. I'd like someone who's 6'8" or even 6'9" with a wingspan over 7 feet. Clippers definitely shouldn’t give up the 2030 pick for him. Surely there are cheaper options at the market.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#464 » by esqtvd » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:58 am

Fungus_Amongus wrote:The announced price of 2 1st round picks for Finney-Smith is ridiculous. He is just an average role-player, not Siakam, not Jerami Grant. His advanced stats are pretty poor, his shot is OK, but not recently. In his last 10 games, he's shooting just 26% from the field and 22.6% from the 3-point line. His defense is good, as I remember from his time playing for Dallas, but not at the All-defensive teams level. His size at PF is not quite what Clippers need. I'd like someone who's 6'8" or even 6'9" with a wingspan over 7 feet. Clippers definitely shouldn’t give up the 2030 pick for him. Surely there are cheaper options at the market.

Great post. With one of the best records in the NBA over the last 6 weeks, the Clips are dealing from a position of strength. There is no reason to overpay; in fact, unless we come up to the trading deadline in some desperate need, we should wait for somebody's fire sale.

With Kawhi already re-signed, PG in negotiations and Beard making hometown-discount noises, this is no longer a one-way ticket for Ballmer. The trade for Beard has already paid off.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#465 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:39 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Fungus_Amongus wrote:The announced price of 2 1st round picks for Finney-Smith is ridiculous. He is just an average role-player, not Siakam, not Jerami Grant. His advanced stats are pretty poor, his shot is OK, but not recently. In his last 10 games, he's shooting just 26% from the field and 22.6% from the 3-point line. His defense is good, as I remember from his time playing for Dallas, but not at the All-defensive teams level. His size at PF is not quite what Clippers need. I'd like someone who's 6'8" or even 6'9" with a wingspan over 7 feet. Clippers definitely shouldn’t give up the 2030 pick for him. Surely there are cheaper options at the market.

Great post. With one of the best records in the NBA over the last 6 weeks, the Clips are dealing from a position of strength. There is no reason to overpay; in fact, unless we come up to the trading deadline in some desperate need, we should wait for somebody's fire sale.

With Kawhi already re-signed, PG in negotiations and Beard making hometown-discount noises, this is no longer a one-way ticket for Ballmer. The trade for Beard has already paid off.

When we're healthy, our roster is about as set as it can realistically be. And we can't predict any injuries in advance to know who to keep or who to trade for. But I think there's always a chance at one of the following:

1. A really good win-win type trade that just works out by addressing both teams' needs.
2. Signing a buyout.
3. Helping grease the wheels in a 3-way deal.

#3 seems less likely now since we traded away all the expirings, but who knows. My main hope is health, but if something turns up at the deadline that would be nice too.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 776

Post#466 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:42 am

Now that Doc is Bucks HC, do you guys think we can squeeze them into taking PJ tucker and giving us a first round pick for it ? :D
Fungus_Amongus
Ballboy

Post#467 » by Fungus_Amongus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:05 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Now that Doc is Bucks HC, do you guys think we can squeeze them into taking PJ tucker and giving us a first round pick for it ? :D

Unfortunately, he is just a coach there, not the president of basketball operations.
Fungus_Amongus
Ballboy

Post#468 » by Fungus_Amongus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:23 pm

If Phoenix believes they have enough assets for Miles Bridges, maybe Clippers should try to acquire him as well? A couple of possible trades that I like https://ibb.co/PFddrh4 or even https://ibb.co/zXxSt8s . Of course, Clippers would have to give up most if not all of their second-round picks. The 2030 1st round pick should not be touched. Unfortunately, acquiring Bridges would just be a rental. Clippers won't be able to extend his contract, so it makes sense to look for a better option. Moreover, for all his merits, Bridges does not quite fit the archetype of a high 3 and D wing that Clippers need.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#469 » by donemilio21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:18 pm

Fungus_Amongus wrote:If Phoenix believes they have enough assets for Miles Bridges, maybe Clippers should try to acquire him as well? A couple of possible trades that I like https://ibb.co/PFddrh4 or even https://ibb.co/zXxSt8s . Of course, Clippers would have to give up all of their second-round picks, and it still might not be enough. The 2030 1st round pick should not be touched.

I don't think we necessarily need a small forward, having more a traditional PF who can shoot would be better as we could give Kawhi more minutes at SF.

Fun fact: We technically drafted him using Pistons pick we got for Blake, and traded him to Charlotte in order to get SGA in 2018.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#470 » by donemilio21 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:19 pm

Fungus_Amongus wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Now that Doc is Bucks HC, do you guys think we can squeeze them into taking PJ tucker and giving us a first round pick for it ? :D

Unfortunately, he is just a coach there, not the president of basketball operations.

he finessed the president of basketball operations there into giving him $40M, I'm sure he can make him give out an FRP too
Fungus_Amongus
Ballboy

Post#471 » by Fungus_Amongus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:32 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Fungus_Amongus wrote:If Phoenix believes they have enough assets for Miles Bridges, maybe Clippers should try to acquire him as well? A couple of possible trades that I like https://ibb.co/PFddrh4 or even https://ibb.co/zXxSt8s . Of course, Clippers would have to give up all of their second-round picks, and it still might not be enough. The 2030 1st round pick should not be touched.

I don't think we necessarily need a small forward, having more a traditional PF who can shoot would be better as we could give Kawhi more minutes at SF.

Fun fact: We technically drafted him using Pistons pick we got for Blake, and traded him to Charlotte in order to get SGA in 2018.

Yeah, Clippers definitely need PF, but Bridges played at PF most of his career. He's a slightly taller and better-shooting version of Kenyon Martin Jr. Still not quite what Clippers need, but he would make the LAC a much more athletic team. His cuts to the rim and Harden alley-oops to Bridges would add a new dimension to the Clippers' offense.
Otto Porter is more of a PF than a SF now, Toronto had too many power forwards, he had to play at SF this season, that’s why he is listed on ESPN as a small forward.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#472 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:26 am

Given his off court issues, you'd have to be really desperate to acquire Bridges.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#473 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:34 am

yeah he's non-starter imo
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#474 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:09 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/bucks/news/milwaukee-bucks-targeting-matisse-thybulle-and-p-j-tucker-before-trade-deadline

article suggest Bucks would trade Connaughton and Payne to target PJ tucker.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#475 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:31 pm

Trade Checker says OK, let's do it!!

clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 999

Post#476 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:45 pm

esqtvd wrote:Trade Checker says OK, let's do it!!

Let's work a 3 way deal with Brooklyn and Bucks where they take the Guards and we take Nic Claxton and Jae Crowder. Bucks get P.J and Royce O'Neal.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 731

Post#477 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:12 am

I'm counting on our old pal Winger to get his draftee BJ Boston, and Wolves' Tim Connelly to get his draftee from Nuggets Bones Hyland. Get some 2nds to unload PJ or attach them to PJ.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,097

Post#478 » by LamarWho » Sun Feb 4, 2024 9:09 pm

Definitely looking forward to getting of these big wing players like Washington and Finney Smith.

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#479 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:39 am

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 731

Post#480 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:27 am

esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

from that list, I would be interested with Chimezu Metu only. Athletic tweener 4-5 with little scoring ability but inconsistent one.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6

Return to Los Angeles Clippers