ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 4 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#441 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:01 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:do the Clippers have the resources to trade for Myles Turner? He would be an ideal big man- can stretch the floor and is a solid defender.

It would be great to be able to trade Powell in such a deal but they likely have no interest due to all of their guards.

How about Zubac and Mann for Turner? I would prefer to trade Westbrook instead of Mann but the Pacers likely have no interest in Westbrook either.

IIRC we've wanted him for years but never had the juice to get him in trade.

Frankly, I think he's a bit of a dog and that's the last thing we need. Zu and Mann [and Coffey] are the last remaining Clippers from the pre-Kawhi era, and remain REAL Clippers. They have given their ALL since Day One.

I just don't have the same feeling about the rest, even KL and PG, who are going on their 5th year here but still seem like renters, not homeowners, in Clipper Nation. I have ZERO feeling one way or the other they'll be here to open the Ballmerdome.

I feel more affection and attachment for Russ, to tell you the truth, even though he's been a Clipper for 29 games. He took less to sign here--for TWO years. And now we have Beard--it feels like he's been living out of a suitcase for the last 5 years.

This franchise is at the point--and I think Ballmer knows it--that the whole Kawhi/PG house of cards could tumble, and he needs at least a LIKEABLE team to open the new arena. Zu, Mann, and I think Russ, are IT.

[And maybe a couple FAs from Clippers East, if you know what I mean. :wink: There are 3 guys over there I'd happily take back.]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#442 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:09 am

esqtvd wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:do the Clippers have the resources to trade for Myles Turner? He would be an ideal big man- can stretch the floor and is a solid defender.

It would be great to be able to trade Powell in such a deal but they likely have no interest due to all of their guards.

How about Zubac and Mann for Turner? I would prefer to trade Westbrook instead of Mann but the Pacers likely have no interest in Westbrook either.

Frankly, I think he's a bit of a dog and that's the last thing we need. Zu and Mann [and Coffey] are the last remaining Clippers from the pre-Kawhi era, and remain REAL Clippers. They have given their ALL since Day One.

I just don't have the same feeling about the rest, even KL and PG, who are going on their 5th year here but still seem like renters, not homeowners, in Clipper Nation. I have ZERO feeling one way or the other they'll be here to open the Ballmerdome.

I feel more affection and attachment for Russ, to tell you the truth, even though he's been a Clipper for 29 games. He took less to sign here--for TWO years. And now we have Beard--it feels like he's been living out of a suitcase for the last 5 years.

This franchise is at the point--and I think Ballmer knows it--that the whole Kawhi/PG house of cards could tumble, and he needs at least a LIKEABLE team to open the new arena. Zu, Mann, and I think Russ, are IT.

[And maybe a couple FAs from Clippers East, if you know what I mean. :wink: There are 3 guys over there I'd happily take back.]

I would rather keep Mann. I’m just brainstorming about what Indiana would find acceptable in a trade. The clippers need a big who can stretch the floor and isn’t a liability on defense. I think Turner is a very good player with rare versatility
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#443 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:50 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I would rather keep Mann. I’m just brainstorming about what Indiana would find acceptable in a trade. The clippers need a big who can stretch the floor and isn’t a liability on defense. I think Turner is a very good player with rare versatility

And although I think Ballmer and especially internet Clipper Nation have vastly overrated Mann--who's 27 now and hardly "the future"--I'm looking at why Ballmer drew a line in the sand at T-Mann.

One explanation is he's the ONLY homegrown Clipper. [Except for Coffey, who's so fringe he hardly counts.] And Zu was basically a Laker G-Leaguer when we acquired him. Almost homegrown.

I understand why he doesn't want to open the Ballmerdome without them. He's a nice player, but seriously, he's a 7th man or a placeholder starter. T-Mann is a Clipper. Zubac is a lower-2nd tier center [behind Vucevic, Nurkic, etc.] but he's a Clipper.

I think maybe Mann and Zu could get Myles Turner. But Ballmer has already rolled too many dice. Or if you want a more accurate craps table analogy, already has chips on every number. Hoping he doesn't crap out.

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#444 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:42 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Can't get Turner but there is another center from Indy whom might be cheaper to get.

2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,708

Post#445 » by KL2 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:29 pm

I think Ballmer has shown he’ll trade anyone away. I don’t see him drawing the line at Zu and/or Mann.

It’ll take those two to get Turner. I’d do it but why would Indiana? They’re 3rd in the east right now and rolling pretty good.

The problem with Theis is it’ll take Mann straight up or it’ll be Brown/Bones/Coffey/Boston. That’ll decimate our all ready weak bench.

We need size and Ballmer will have to pay for it dearly. The FO talks about needing to lean on Diabate/Brown but that’s just the scramble path until they decide the next move.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#446 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:49 pm

KL2 wrote:I think Ballmer has shown he’ll trade anyone away. I don’t see him drawing the line at Zu and/or Mann.

It’ll take those two to get Turner. I’d do it but why would Indiana? They’re 3rd in the east right now and rolling pretty good.

The problem with Theis is it’ll take Mann straight up or it’ll be Brown/Bones/Coffey/Boston. That’ll decimate our all ready weak bench.

We need size and Ballmer will have to pay for it dearly. The FO talks about needing to lean on Diabate/Brown but that’s just the scramble path until they decide the next move.

Nobody's untouchable but I'd be surprised if Ballmer goes any farther in. Mann seems to be at the heart of Plan B, and you should have a Plan B. He and Zu are our most popular players, if only because of seniority. [Altho Zu's luster is wearing off a bit.]
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,708

Post#447 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:21 pm

So happy we were gifted another game with Denver. On national tv too. Fun times right?

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#448 » by donemilio21 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:26 am

Theis has been playing really well for us. Plumlee is expected to return sometime in January.
I don't believe we'll have room to have a plyer their caliber as a 3rd big.
Who gets traded ? Both are on expiring contracts, Plumlee makes $5M, Theis makes $1.7M
Given how well we have been doing as a team with Theis, and salary difference I'd prefer to trade Plumlee.
Teams such as the Atlanta Hawks ($23 million), Brooklyn Nets ($19.9, $18.1 and $6.8 million), Washington Wizards ($12.3 million and $9.8 million), Miami Heat ($9.5 and $7.2 million), Portland Trail Blazers ($8.8 and $8.3 million), Memphis Grizzlies ($7.5 million), Philadelphia 76ers ($6.8 million), New York Knicks ($6.8 million), Phoenix Suns ($6.5 million) and Boston Celtics ($6.2 million) have large trade exceptions and can acquire Plumlee without sending back any salary.
I doubt we can squeeze a FRP, but maybe 2 second rounders ? Ballmer would also save close to $30M in salary and luxury tax.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#449 » by Dynamix » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:41 am

We should absolutely hold on to Plumlee. We were in big trouble last season when Moses was the only backup and also struggled recently after Plumlee got hurt, before Theis became available. If we traded Plumlee and Zu goes down (heaven forbid), we'd be absolutely cooked with only Theis and Moussa as our centers, and you don't want to rely on the FA market to fill that hole heading into the playoffs.

So I say keep them all. We're still thin at PF, and while it's not ideal, Ty could give Theis a look at that position next to Zu or Plum. Can't be worse than pairing them with Tucker.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#450 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:02 pm

We keep seeing stories about teams interested in PJ Tucker. I don't want to get my hopes up but it would be wonderful to get anything minimally serviceable for him in return, possibly in a 3-way deal. Obviously getting expiring money back would also be fine, if only to save Ballmer some money that will go into re-signing 213.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#451 » by clipperlover » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:47 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:We keep seeing stories about teams interested in PJ Tucker. I don't want to get my hopes up but it would be wonderful to get anything minimally serviceable for him in return, possibly in a 3-way deal. Obviously getting expiring money back would also be fine, if only to save Ballmer some money that will go into re-signing 213.

Only possible deal that could make sense for both teams is P.J. Tucker for Jock Landale. Houston could use his veteran presence. We need a backup big next season if Plumlee leaves.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 365

Post#452 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 am

clipperlover wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:We keep seeing stories about teams interested in PJ Tucker. I don't want to get my hopes up but it would be wonderful to get anything minimally serviceable for him in return, possibly in a 3-way deal. Obviously getting expiring money back would also be fine, if only to save Ballmer some money that will go into re-signing 213.

Only possible deal that could make sense for both teams is P.J. Tucker for Jock Landale. Houston could use his veteran presence. We need a backup big next season if Plumlee leaves.

I like Landales game. Very similar to Hartenstein
Kobe187
Starter
And1: 1,905

Post#453 » by Kobe187 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:24 am

Clippers still too small to compete with the Juggernauts of the West. Need Tucker in the rotation. Should have 2 bigs on the floor at all times.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#454 » by donemilio21 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:22 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274274/Clippers-Looking-On-Trade-Market-For-Tweener-Forward-Backup-Center
What the heck is a tweener forward? A back up center? To back up who? Plumlee who backs up Theis who backs up Zu?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#455 » by ejftw » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 am

donemilio21 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274274/Clippers-Looking-On-Trade-Market-For-Tweener-Forward-Backup-Center
What the heck is a tweener forward? A back up center? To back up who? Plumlee who backs up Theis who backs up Zu?

Assuming the target is a "modern big," a Myles Turner type.

Obviously won't be Myles but just the mold
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#456 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:59 pm

ejftw wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274274/Clippers-Looking-On-Trade-Market-For-Tweener-Forward-Backup-Center

During a recent episode of The Lowe Post, ESPN's Zach Lowe said,
"I think the Clippers are still looking around. I think they're gonna be aggressive at the trade deadline. Specifically - they play as a little small when Kawhi is off the floor. Kawhi is kind of the default power forward now. They've got that one pick, they've got money, I think they're gonna look around at tweener-forward types. I would be shocked if there is not some conversations between the Nets and Clippers about [Dorian] Finney-Smith, Royce O'Neal."

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/la-clippers-possible-trade-deadline-plan-revealed
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#457 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:15 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:

"I think the Clippers are still looking around. I think they're gonna be aggressive at the trade deadline. Specifically - they play as a little small when Kawhi is off the floor. Kawhi is kind of the default power forward now. They've got that one pick, they've got money, I think they're gonna look around at tweener-forward types. I would be shocked if there is not some conversations between the Nets and Clippers about [Dorian] Finney-Smith, Royce O'Neal."

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/la-clippers-possible-trade-deadline-plan-revealed

my goodness. names of O'neale and Finney-Smith are in the same sentence with a first round pick. No effing way.
I still have nightmares about the picks we gave up for Jared Dudley or Jeff Green, which ended up being OG Anunby and Mathias Thybulle.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#458 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:17 am

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:

my goodness. names of O'neale and Finney-Smith are in the same sentence with a first round pick. No effing way.
I still have nightmares about the picks we gave up for Jared Dudley or Jeff Green, which ended up being OG Anunby and Mathias Thybulle.

For context: The Anonuby pick was swapped first by Milwaukee ALONG WITH NORMAN POWELL for the legendary Greivis Vásquez, lol. And Anonuby didn't even average 10 ppg until FIVE YEARS LATER.

When you're faced with a win-now scenario, a "maybe" 5 years down the line is not a consideration.

As for Matisse Thybulle, it's 7 years later and he still hasn't done anything in the NBA. Terance Mann is better and he was drafted at #48. [BTW, I'm projecting Mann as the centerpiece of any deal for a PF/C. Coffey has been doing almost as well in that role, and the new PF/C would get a lot of Mann's minutes anyway.]
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#459 » by ejftw » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 am

Man, I thought Vasquez was gonna be a long time starter.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#460 » by donemilio21 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:36 am

esqtvd wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

For context: The Anonuby pick was swapped first by Milwaukee ALONG WITH NORMAN POWELL for the legendary Greivis Vásquez, lol. And Anonuby didn't even average 10 ppg until FIVE YEARS LATER.

When you're faced with a win-now scenario, a "maybe" 5 years down the line is not a consideration.

As for Matisse Thybulle, it's 7 years later and he still hasn't done anything in the NBA. Terance Mann is better and he was drafted at #48. [BTW, I'm projecting Mann as the centerpiece of any deal for a PF/C. Coffey has been doing almost as well in that role, and the new PF/C would get a lot of Mann's minutes anyway.]

I'm not in favor of trading future first round picks for guys that may or may not move the needle. Especially a pick that will be convened after Kawhi's extension concludes.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers