ImageImageImageImageImage

Josh Primo - What!?

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,016

Re: Josh Primo - What!? 

Post#21 » by clipperlover » Mon Oct 2, 2023 9:57 pm

DeShaun Watson still has a job and getting paid millions. I don't think Primo's actions were worse than that.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#22 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Oct 2, 2023 10:53 pm

clipperlover wrote:DeShaun Watson still has a job and getting paid millions. I don't think Primo's actions were worse than that.

The Browns aren't exactly great company to be in as a franchise.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,828

Post#23 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Oct 2, 2023 11:43 pm

esqtvd wrote:I'd have to know more specifics. On the whole, I don't think people should be ruined for life unless they killed somebody or something. It's very easy to get self-righteous judging someone else and take away everything they have and everything they could ever have. It may not be a death sentence, but it's a life sentence. He didn't rape anybody or even physically assault anyone. Justice demands that the punishment must fit the crime.

This is basically where I am with the signing. I think everyone here, for or against or neutral, agrees he should be on a really short leash. One (reasonably substantiated) report of bad behavior, and he's out of here. But I hope he can turn his life around, whether it's here or elsewhere, not hurt anyone else, and generally live a decent life. And then yes after all that, be a good player on the Clippers.

If he can be a good citizen going forward, we have added some young talent on the cheap the last year or so- Bones, KJ Martin, and now Primo. None are stars, but we needed some young legs and energy on this team and we had little means to get it. Of course we are still hoping that BBJ and Kobe Brown can show something (Moussa too), but these other 3 are already NBA players.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,410

Post#24 » by og15 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 2:07 pm

The guy shouldn't be ostracized, but he should be on a short leash.

He has talent, whether he can actually be an average or even good NBA player though, that is not clear yet.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#25 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 3, 2023 4:25 pm

og15 wrote:The guy shouldn't be ostracized, but he should be on a short leash.

He has talent, whether he can actually be an average or even good NBA player though, that is not clear yet.

Right- in reviewing his stats his NBA numbers are actually pretty similar to Brandon Boston. He got more minutes because he was on a worse Spurs team.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,435

Post#26 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:31 pm

Well, he's a first time offender--so it's not like it would be kosher for the league and all NBA teams to lock the guy out. He's also the youngest player in NBA history to play in an NBA game after attending/playing in college. The interviews I've seen with him from the draft and his rookie year show a young, but pretty well spoken guy. With no past history of on- or off-court issues and based on him doing and saying the right things now, he deserves a second chance.

Whether that will translate to being a good player is another quesiton entirely. I think the consensus was that he was a reach at 12, but that he developed well for a guy his age. This SI article lays out his rookie season pretty thoroughly

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/news/san-antonio-josh-primo-rookie-year-draft-review-gregg-popovich-mock-lottery-alabama-crimson-tide#gid=ci02a26910f00026bc&pid=primo
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,112

A Primo Plan? 

Post#27 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:13 pm

Already I spotted a question regarding the availability of Primo for the Clippers this season on another website, 213 Hoops. As a reminder, he will not be playing at all this pre-season. When the regular season begins, he will serve a four game suspension for his controversial actions.

But I have a feeling he may not play with the Clippers at all. So why sign him? Maybe, to get his suspension out of the way.

This is what I think is going to happen with Primo: after he serves his four games as an NBA player, Clippers will immediately waive him. Now his 2-way contract feels more like a probation contract, the purpose of returning was to regain eligibility. If he wants to really play again (let alone for Clippers), he would need to get a new contract, maybe a couple of 10-days.

Looking at this theoretical setup objectively, Clippers are pulling a Spurs. What better form of a character test than to waive him after his suspension is cleared. Makes me wonder if Clippers will use this method for other players facing something akin to Primo's.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,273

Re: A Primo Plan? 

Post#28 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Already I spotted a question regarding the availability of Primo for the Clippers this season on another website, 213 Hoops. As a reminder, he will not be playing at all this pre-season. When the regular season begins, he will serve a four game suspension for his controversial actions.

But I have a feeling he may not play with the Clippers at all. So why sign him? Maybe, to get his suspension out of the way.

This is what I think is going to happen with Primo: after he serves his four games as an NBA player, Clippers will immediately waive him. Now his 2-way contract feels more like a probation contract, the purpose of returning was to regain eligibility. If he wants to really play again (let alone for Clippers), he would need to get a new contract, maybe a couple of 10-days.

Looking at this theoretical setup objectively, Clippers are pulling a Spurs. What better form of a character test than to waive him after his suspension is cleared. Makes me wonder if Clippers will use this method for other players facing something akin to Primo's.

Why in the hell would we waive him after taking him in and enduring the backlash for doing so? That doesn't make any sense. Frank and the front office is going to try to rehabilitate him and sign him to the main team eventually.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,059

Post#29 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:10 pm

Clippers have a lot of depth at the guard position so I imagine he is going to get a lot of DNP-COACH'S DECISION next to his name throughout the season, especially in the big games. But, hopefully he at least gets some time on the court during garbage time when the Clippers are blowing out there opponents.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,765

Post#30 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#31 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:21 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ballmer's Plan B, I make it. Have some young talent in house in case all the older FAs bolt for the exits next summer.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 389

Post#32 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:12 am

just what this team needs, another guard... SMH. we dont even have minutes for Bones.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,765

Post#33 » by KL2 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,489

Post#34 » by Ballings7 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 12:35 am

Well, thats good news for everyone on Primo's side, or who was in the middle..

Now can move on with more credibility.. he's a good combo guard prospect with good defensive potential, on and off ball.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#35 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:36 pm

So played the other day- anyone catch his minutes???

2 points, 1 block and 3 TO's LOL.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 389

Post#36 » by wakelaunch1 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:31 am

madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:47 pm

But hey Jordan Miller is playing well!
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1641757/

Not sure if he has just been on a heater from 3, or if his 42% from 3 is sustainable (even in the G League.) He didn't shoot the 3 remotely that well in 4 years of college (but improved his senior year.)
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,273

Post#38 » by Clemenza » Wed Jan 3, 2024 7:17 am

madmaxmedia wrote:But hey Jordan Miller is playing well!
https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1641757/

Not sure if he has just been on a heater from 3, or if his 42% from 3 is sustainable (even in the G League.) He didn't shoot the 3 remotely that well in 4 years of college (but improved his senior year.)

Another 30 point game for Miller tonight in a loss to the Austin Spurs. Something is definitely brewing with this kid

Return to Los Angeles Clippers