Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Re: Game #12: LAC (4-7) @ SPURS (3-10) MON 11/20, 5 PM 

Post#41 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:16 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I take back everything bad I said about Daniel Theis

Us getting him for vet min after a buyout this early in the season was absolute HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Next season, unless we shed a LOT of salary, the new CBA will not let us sign even people from the buyout market. These new draconian rules are designed to hamstring the richer owners--and Ballmer is the richest. After all, who WOULDN'T sign with the Hollywood Clippers with a $2B arena, all-charter travel, the best hotels, the best facilities, and the highest payroll?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#42 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:32 am

og15 wrote:Nothing can boost confidence like playing a bottom 3 offense and defense

Theis is definitely a solid backup / rotation C

And we made them look like a bottom 3 team, so yeah solid all around.

Bones/ Coffey combo was +3 in 4 minutes…
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#43 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:33 am

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:I take back everything bad I said about Daniel Theis

Us getting him for vet min after a buyout this early in the season was absolute HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

Next season, unless we shed a LOT of salary, the new CBA will not let us sign even people from the buyout market. These new draconian rules are designed to hamstring the richer owners--and Ballmer is the richest. After all, who WOULDN'T sign with the Hollywood Clippers with a $2B arena, all-charter travel, the best hotels, the best facilities, and the highest payroll?

Maybe we can get one more good buyout signing at ASB and go out with a bang this year…
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#44 » by Clemenza » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:36 am

Well "The System" is starting to work with the right lineups. Harden really does make PG and Kawhi's game a lot easier as they don't have to take turns going ISO for difficult shots all game long. It was the right play to make a Big 3 and move Russ to the bench. Plumlee might be regulated to the bench when he gets healthy if Theis has more of this in store. Mann is still doing all the little things that lead to victory but his offense has fallen off a cliff and nosedived. Hopefully he can turn it around soon. On another note, Wemby looked awful for the Spurs tonight. Good win nevertheless. Good to see a functioning offense again
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#45 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:41 am

madmaxmedia wrote:It’s rough when the team swings it to the wide open spot up 3, and then it’s RWB so he just dribbles the ball, advantage gone.

Yah, they'll give us RWB shooting 3s all day. Forever.

And NB: Mann is 0-6 from the field, and 0-4 from distance. 20% from 3 on the year. Let's not forget Teacher's Pet :wink:. Both finished plus+7--

Code: Select all

Mann = zero points, 6 rebs, 2 asst, 3 steals, 1 TO, 0-4 on 3pt
RWB = 10 pts, 2 rebs, 6 asst, 3 steals, 1 TO, 0-1 on 3pt

All in all, can't say RWB would have done any better with the first unit and there's NO WAY Mann can quarterback the second. Looks like the necessary adjustment has been made.

Ty has to juggle the minutes just enough to make sure RWB doesn't fall below 27 mpg or so. Respect must be shown. HOFer Westbrook signed here for next to the minimum. For TWO years, a total commitment for the remainder of his career. If he's not going to start, he still has to get something close to starter's minutes. I think 27 is a nice number.

As for Mann, he's not hitting the 3, or taking the 3. It's amazing how he's turned into PJ Tucker, lol. Doing all the dirty work, and better than PJ:

Mann = 25 minutes, zero points, 6 rebs, 2 asst, 3 steals, plus+7
PJT = 16 minutes, zero points, 5 rebs, 0 asst, 3 steals, plus+5

And I think T-Mann will start taking them. And hopefully hit enough of them. But you gotta take 'em. RWB has to stop taking them--and he is. Mann, I think, knows he needs to take 'em.

Not quite time to fire Ty. :lol:
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#46 » by Clemenza » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:43 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Maybe we can get one more good buyout signing at ASB and go out with a bang this year…

I think that might be it as far as signings go. Kobe and Bones will get some run here and there but it looks like Josh Primo and Brandon Boston will be stashed for the future. Boston will be a free agent but I see us bringing him back on something like 2 years $8 million.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#47 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:44 am

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:It’s rough when the team swings it to the wide open spot up 3, and then it’s RWB so he just dribbles the ball, advantage gone.

And NB: Mann is 0-6 from the field, and 0-4 from distance. 20% from 3 on the year. Let's not forget Teacher's Pet :wink:. Both finished plus+7--

All in all, can't say RWB would have done any better with the first unit and there's NO WAY Mann can quarterback the second. Looks like the necessary adjustment has been made.

Ty has to juggle the minutes just enough to make sure RWB doesn't fall below 27 mpg or so. Respect must be shown. HOFer Westbrook signed here for next to the minimum. For TWO years, a total commitment for the remainder of his career. If he's not going to start, he still has to get something close to starter's minutes. I think 27 is a nice number.

As for Mann, he's not hitting the 3, or taking the 3. It's amazing how he's turned into PJ Tucker, lol. Doing all the dirty work, and better than PJ:

Agreed on Russ, I’d like to see him happy.

With the right lineup, we can reach the point where we WANT Russ on the floor 27 minutes per game. Our Big 3 are all shooters, so he can always share the floor fine with any of them- it just made no sense as a starting lineup.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#48 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:18 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

With the right lineup, we can reach the point where we WANT Russ on the floor 27 minutes per game. Our Big 3 are all shooters, so he can always share the floor fine with any of them- it just made no sense as a starting lineup.

Mann is the NEW PJ Tucker. Ours. A lifelong Clipper. He LOVES doing the dirty work, and he's rangier and quicker. If you go back to his college career, that was his job at Florida St.: Filling up the stat sheet everywhere but shooting and scoring. [And I DO think he will become useful on the spot-up 3. Right now, he's a bit intimidated starting between THREE Hall Of Famers--and sending another to the bench.]

And Tucker will be VERY happy doing his dirty-work thing on the 2nd unit. He might even start shooting that corner 3 himself--36.6% lifetime on the corner 3--just good enough to be a threat.

That's hilarious. This might just work.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#49 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:20 am

Clemenza wrote:Well "The System" is starting to work with the right lineups. Harden really does make PG and Kawhi's game a lot easier as they don't have to take turns going ISO for difficult shots all game long. It was the right play to make a Big 3 and move Russ to the bench. Plumlee might be regulated to the bench when he gets healthy if Theis has more of this in store. Mann is still doing all the little things that lead to victory but his offense has fallen off a cliff and nosedived. Hopefully he can turn it around soon. On another note, Wemby looked awful for the Spurs tonight. Good win nevertheless. Good to see a functioning offense again

I think Plumlee is a better fit with Harden than Zubac, at least on offense- so, perhaps Zubac shouldn't play as much when Plumlee recovers
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 390

Post#50 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:59 am

Theis +18 was awesome. Plays well with Harden. Good passer with a decent shot.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,361

Post#51 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:11 am

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Mann is the NEW PJ Tucker. Ours. A lifelong Clipper. He LOVES doing the dirty work, and he's rangier and quicker. If you go back to his college career, that was his job at Florida St.: Filling up the stat sheet everywhere but shooting and scoring. [And I DO think he will become useful on the spot-up 3. Right now, he's a bit intimidated starting between THREE Hall Of Famers--and sending another to the bench.]

And Tucker will be VERY happy doing his dirty-work thing on the 2nd unit. He might even start shooting that corner 3 himself--36.6% lifetime on the corner 3--just good enough to be a threat.

It would huge if PJ got his corner shot back. I remember in his Houston days it was almost an automatic bucket. I actually think he lead the league in corner 3 percentage in 2018 or 2019.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#52 » by Captain Ballmer » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:40 am

We are gonna have some Mason Plumlee problem when he returns from that injury because Theis is here to stay!
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#53 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:21 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:We are gonna have some Mason Plumlee problem when he returns from that injury because Theis is here to stay!

Theis can close the games instead of Small ball hell. I would give less minutes to Zubac.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#54 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:34 am

Scoundreldays wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

It would huge if PJ got his corner shot back. I remember in his Houston days it was almost an automatic bucket. I actually think he lead the league in corner 3 percentage in 2018 or 2019.

Philly was begging PJ to shoot it last year too. They liked him and trusted him too. When he DID take one and make one, you could see the entire 5 on the floor get a psychological lift and SPRINT down the other end on D. I mean, it was PALPABLE.

And I think Mann has proven he can hit the 3 at a high percentage when left open. But you gotta have the guts to take it. That's why the Clippers dumped Luke Kennard. You gotta have the guts to take it--when you're not open, and when the chips are down. Luke is averaging 8 points a game in Memphis. Forget percentages, PRODUCTION is what matters.

JJ Redick averaged 15.8 ppg and shot 44% on 3s as a Clipper. And although not much a defender, ran around like a MANIAC running backcuts when he didn't have the ball. Percentages AND production.

Just sayin'. After Mann starts taking and making 3s, this thing is gonna go ZOOOOOOOOM!.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,311

Post#55 » by Dynamix » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 am

All we have to do now is bring back Blake and everything will click into place.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,622

Post#56 » by The High Cyde » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:09 am

Harden might overtake PG as the second best player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.
Hmm I might even say Beard might be better than Kawhi or at least on par with him on most regular season nights, just because James might legit avg 10 assists with this team, making everyone’s job easier, especially Kawhi’s.
Fun game. It’s the Spurs but take it we will. Team is looking better by the game, which is much needed.
wakelaunch1
Senior

Post#57 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:15 am

The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.
Hmm I might even say Beard might be better than Kawhi or at least on par with him on most regular season nights, just because James might legit avg 10 assists with this team, making everyone’s job easier, especially Kawhi’s.
Fun game. It’s the Spurs but take it we will. Team is looking better by the game, which is much needed.

PG running the offense is a black hole. He dribbles too much and doesnt pass well. I like PG catching the the pass in the midrange where he gets off a nice midrange jumpshot. Kawhi/Harden pick and rolls will be deadly. Theis does all the little things well. Im giving him all of PJ Tuckers mins. Im trading Powell for another power forward and getting bones mins.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#58 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:25 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Well "The System" is starting to work with the right lineups. Harden really does make PG and Kawhi's game a lot easier as they don't have to take turns going ISO for difficult shots all game long. It was the right play to make a Big 3 and move Russ to the bench. Plumlee might be regulated to the bench when he gets healthy if Theis has more of this in store. Mann is still doing all the little things that lead to victory but his offense has fallen off a cliff and nosedived. Hopefully he can turn it around soon. On another note, Wemby looked awful for the Spurs tonight. Good win nevertheless. Good to see a functioning offense again

I think Plumlee is a better fit with Harden than Zubac, at least on offense- so, perhaps Zubac shouldn't play as much when Plumlee recovers

I think Zu is our REAL heart, a TRUE Clipper, and there are a lot of advanced stats that say he's an incredible plus on D. I don't give a fk enough to look them up but I saw them from sources I trust.

I remember Plumlee killing us on 10-ft midrange jumpers. Haven't seen that guy since he got here. And he seems to fumble the bounce-pass feed cutting to the hoop as bad as Zu.

But hey, maybe we can work that out too. Plumlee has played only 29 games as a Clipper and none of them in the same role with the same 5 he's supposed to play with now. Let's give the fellow a little space.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,351

Post#59 » by rocketsfan100 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:54 am

Harden is one of the most intelligent cerebral basketball players of all time....the way he can read the defensive schemes and counter it with his counter moves is out of this world . He is just getting started folks
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,476

Post#60 » by og15 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:21 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.

PG running the offense is a black hole. He dribbles too much and doesnt pass well. I like PG catching the the pass in the midrange where he gets off a nice midrange jumpshot. Kawhi/Harden pick and rolls will be deadly. Theis does all the little things well. Im giving him all of PJ Tuckers mins. Im trading Powell for another power forward and getting bones mins.

Being a point guard is not just about handles and being able to pass. PG is actually a good passer too in terms of the quality of shots he gets guys when he makes passes after drawing the defense. The thing is that being a PG is also about running the offense, getting guys to their spots, organizing everyone, and it's hard to just pick up at year 12/13 (past two seasons) and do it well.

Look at the Spurs trying to teach Sochan PG skills, he's in year 2, he's a TERRIBLE point guard, but, it's early, and there's no winning pressure, so he can go through the growing pains, and if primary or secondary ball handler / playmaker isn't the role for him, at least he tried.

PG is best when focusig on scoring and then playmaking out of his scoring when the defense closes in, vs trying to make plays. That said, you do want to distribute the bringing the ball up duties, just for a different look and to give guys some rest, so Kawhi and PG bringing the ball up and initiating once in a while is still fine

Return to Los Angeles Clippers