Game #17: LAC (7-9) @ SAC (10-6) WED 11/29—7 PM, NBA-TV

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,019

Re: Game #17: LAC (7-9) @ SAC (10-6) WED 11/29—7 PM, NBA-TV 

Post#81 » by clipperlover » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:06 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
clipperlover wrote:Not worried about the 1st part of this season. Seen too many teams struggle in the first part of the NBA season before turning it on. Boston a couple of years back is a recent example. They came out at the beginning of the calendar year and went on a huge winning streak.

It's always tempting to try to create conclusive narratives off a small stretch of games, but hey that's fandom and part of the fun.

Bye and bye we are getting better, no question. The big question will be how good can we get, and if we can find another significant trade over the course of the year to balance our roster. It would be incredible to kill 2 birds with one stone and get some front court value back for Norm, and simultaneously free up a rotation spot for Bones. I'm not against Norm individually at all, this is nothing like a Mook situation, but we need more youth and balance in the rotation.

I don't know how James' season averages will settle out out, whether he will end up near a 21/11/6 like he was last year in Philly. He's now all crafty with minimal explosiveness, but that was already the case last year. It does seem like he doesn't feel the pressure to try to score 30 points every night as this team learns how to play together. That's a good thing.

It would also be a huge bonus if Kobe gradually develops into a regular rotation player for us over the course of the year. I get the impatience about him not getting a chance earlier, but we are so early in the season. As a rookie he is still learning to catch up to NBA play and do all the right things, we all see the potential for this though so fingers crossed.

Our season will depend on how our D transforms. Right now, we are giving up less than 109 PPG. One of only 6 teams doing that. Only us, Houston and Knicks aren't at least 9 games over .500 with that kind of defensive PPG. We are 4th in Pt differential in the West. If we keep bringing that number down, our record will improve.

Despite how bad everything has gone, we are 2 games from the #6 seed and 3 from 3rd with 5 months left to play. Our longest winning streak last year was 5 games (1 time in January). I fully expect this team to have several 5+ game winning streaks and no more significant losing streaks.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#82 » by nickhx2 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:25 pm

Clemenza wrote:We got the BBQ, rotisserie, and the main course dishes slowly coming together.. Now we got the back burners going with the mac n cheese, coleslaw, and baked beans. Let the kid play though a few mistakes and uncertainty on certain occasions while on the floor. Its going to pay off for us in the end. Lets Go!!

bro it ain't right to talk about this kinda food at that time of night
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#83 » by nickhx2 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:42 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:It's always tempting to try to create conclusive narratives off a small stretch of games, but hey that's fandom and part of the fun.

Bye and bye we are getting better, no question. The big question will be how good can we get, and if we can find another significant trade over the course of the year to balance our roster. It would be incredible to kill 2 birds with one stone and get some front court value back for Norm, and simultaneously free up a rotation spot for Bones. I'm not against Norm individually at all, this is nothing like a Mook situation, but we need more youth and balance in the rotation.

I don't know how James' season averages will settle out out, whether he will end up near a 21/11/6 like he was last year in Philly. He's now all crafty with minimal explosiveness, but that was already the case last year. It does seem like he doesn't feel the pressure to try to score 30 points every night as this team learns how to play together. That's a good thing.

It would also be a huge bonus if Kobe gradually develops into a regular rotation player for us over the course of the year. I get the impatience about him not getting a chance earlier, but we are so early in the season. As a rookie he is still learning to catch up to NBA play and do all the right things, we all see the potential for this though so fingers crossed.

i think i agree with all of this.

- norm powell has pretty much been at peak NORMAL POWER all season and it makes me feel really yucky to even want to trade him, as the last couple seasons i've considered him rather indispensable. but now with bones showing he's up for the task (heh), and considering our lineup imbalance, it's clear that NP's our best asset and the one that kinda needs to be moved. or, if not him, then pray a team that's not going anywhere right now loves bones enough that they're willing to trade a "right now" piece for a "maybe later" piece. like, how much better do we feel with a herb jones type defender in place of powell? it's hard not to think about. and it sucks because it wasn't all that long ago that trading for powell and covington felt like the end-game trade we'd all been waiting for.

- i'm not sure how harden's gonna look by end of season either, and if he actually achieved those numbers i'd think we should all be thrilled. but of course, it's about basketball on the court and less so about the numbers, so i'd wanna ask: how do we feel about what he's doing for the team right now in terms of the good and bad things? i think we can see the positive impact he's having on offense for sure in terms of facilitation. and it's not like he's decrepit and long, long past his prime in terms of scoring/shooting. that's still there and that's a great thing for us. but not just that, it's pretty clear he's still figuring himself out in terms of fit as well as conditioning. at some point i do think things will click for him and he'll just be a really consistent scorer and we'll be much better off. and on defense of course he's still james harden-level meh but in a way that's a good thing, because while it's weird to say, he's kinda underrated on defense, has been throughout his career, and he still is giving us some good defense and effort (at least more than we should expect). i think there's a LOT left on the table we're not getting yet, all things considered.

- agree about brown. he looks NBA-ready (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread). i mean i'm not quite sure at all how much he'll do for us, but he doesn't look super raw/lost the way diabate unfortunately does. he's a big body, a need, and when he took and missed that 3 last night it felt like the "right" shot in that it was smart, timely, and the thing this team needs from that spot at that juncture of the game.

all-in-all, out of all the feelings i think i could have up to this season and including denver's game, i'm maybe a notch or two beyond cautiously optimistic. if you asked me after the loss, i'd have quietly said "yeah this is pretty terrible, but there's like a 90%+ chance we come out stomping the next team in the next game, and there's maybe less than a 2% chance we'd have a similar effort, implying we'd need to fire lue or blow things up." like it sucked but i wasn't SUPER worried because if you've followed the NBA for a long time, you know you're just gonna have extremely weird games where extremely bad things happen that it feels like you can do nothing about - and conversely, games where you can't do anything wrong and you make the other team look like they're in the wrong league. so given that we cleared that hurdle of maybe the team actually gave up on lue, i feel like we're back on track and we mostly only have good things to look forward to.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#84 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#85 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:35 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:It's always tempting to try to create conclusive narratives off a small stretch of games, but hey that's fandom and part of the fun.

- norm powell has pretty much been at peak NORMAL POWER all season and it makes me feel really yucky to even want to trade him, as the last couple seasons i've considered him rather indispensable. but now with bones showing he's up for the task (heh), and considering our lineup imbalance, it's clear that NP's our best asset and the one that kinda needs to be moved. or, if not him, then pray a team that's not going anywhere right now loves bones enough that they're willing to trade a "right now" piece for a "maybe later" piece. like, how much better do we feel with a herb jones type defender in place of powell? it's hard not to think about. and it sucks because it wasn't all that long ago that trading for powell and covington felt like the end-game trade we'd all been waiting for.

- i'm not sure how harden's gonna look by end of season either, and if he actually achieved those numbers i'd think we should all be thrilled. but of course, it's about basketball on the court and less so about the numbers, so i'd wanna ask: how do we feel about what he's doing for the team right now in terms of the good and bad things? i think we can see the positive impact he's having on offense for sure in terms of facilitation. and it's not like he's decrepit and long, long past his prime in terms of scoring/shooting. that's still there and that's a great thing for us. but not just that, it's pretty clear he's still figuring himself out in terms of fit as well as conditioning. at some point i do think things will click for him and he'll just be a really consistent scorer and we'll be much better off. and on defense of course he's still james harden-level meh but in a way that's a good thing, because while it's weird to say, he's kinda underrated on defense, has been throughout his career, and he still is giving us some good defense and effort (at least more than we should expect). i think there's a LOT left on the table we're not getting yet, all things considered.

- agree about brown. he looks NBA-ready (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread). i mean i'm not quite sure at all how much he'll do for us, but he doesn't look super raw/lost the way diabate unfortunately does. he's a big body, a need, and when he took and missed that 3 last night it felt like the "right" shot in that it was smart, timely, and the thing this team needs from that spot at that juncture of the game.

all-in-all, out of all the feelings i think i could have up to this season and including denver's game, i'm maybe a notch or two beyond cautiously optimistic. if you asked me after the loss, i'd have quietly said "yeah this is pretty terrible, but there's like a 90%+ chance we come out stomping the next team in the next game, and there's maybe less than a 2% chance we'd have a similar effort, implying we'd need to fire lue or blow things up." like it sucked but i wasn't SUPER worried because if you've followed the NBA for a long time, you know you're just gonna have extremely weird games where extremely bad things happen that it feels like you can do nothing about - and conversely, games where you can't do anything wrong and you make the other team look like they're in the wrong league. so given that we cleared that hurdle of maybe the team actually gave up on lue, i feel like we're back on track and we mostly only have good things to look forward to.

I thought a saw a bit of a burst from Beard on a drive last night. He missed, but any burst to the rim was conspicuously lacking last year with the Sixers. Attacking the hoop is half his offensive bag---not only the points, but the defender backing off to guard it and leaving more room to shoot the 3, and also all those cheap points at the line. Harden's FTAs last year were only half of his career highs.

Harden had big problems with a serious hamstring injury in 2021 and 2022, and only played 58 games last year with the Sixers, going in and out with a sprained foot, then an Achilles, and may still have had some lingering issues with the hammy. If he's past all that, we may see a better Harden than we have in years.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#86 » by ERClips » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:57 pm

esqtvd wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:

I thought a saw a bit of a burst from Beard on a drive last night. He missed, but any burst to the rim was conspicuously lacking last year with the Sixers. Attacking the hoop is half his offensive bag---not only the points, but the defender backing off to guard it and leaving more room to shoot the 3, and also all those cheap points at the line. Harden's FTAs last year were only half of his career highs.

Harden had big problems with a serious hamstring injury in 2021 and 2022, and only played 58 games last year with the Sixers, going in and out with a sprained foot, then the Achilles, and may still have had some lingering issues with the hammy. If he's past all that, we may see a better Harden than we have in years.

That would be amazing even if he can’t finish at the rim like he used to but still gets fouled to get to get to the line.
If he does miss time because of any injuries we got a solid backup in Bones.
It’ll be interesting to see who gets Norm’s minutes right now. I’m assuming that he’s gonna miss a few games at least? As long as we can keep winning a majority of the games no matter who’s on the floor.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,838

Post#87 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:06 pm

ERClips wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:

Harden had big problems with a serious hamstring injury in 2021 and 2022, and only played 58 games last year with the Sixers, going in and out with a sprained foot, then the Achilles, and may still have had some lingering issues with the hammy. If he's past all that, we may see a better Harden than we have in years.

That would be amazing even if he can’t finish at the rim like he used to but still gets fouled to get to get to the line.
If he does miss time because of any injuries we got a solid backup in Bones.
It’ll be interesting to see who gets Norm’s minutes right now. I’m assuming that he’s gonna miss a few games at least? As long as we can keep winning a majority of the games no matter who’s on the floor.

I really hope it's Bones, if we can't find a good win-win type trade for Norm then Bones becomes the 'next asset up'. Him and some other money could bring something in return, especially if Bones gets more minutes and continues to play well. He has been a good soldier since day 1 for us, which should help rehabilitate his reputation a bit too. Keeping Bones would seem to be far preferable though for multiple reasons, including being cost-controlled for 2 more years (possibly a 3rd.)
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,019

Post#88 » by clipperlover » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:54 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
I really hope it's Bones, if we can't find a good win-win type trade for Norm then Bones becomes the 'next asset up'. Him and some other money could bring something in return, especially if Bones gets more minutes and continues to play well. He has been a good soldier since day 1 for us, which should help rehabilitate his reputation a bit too. Keeping Bones would seem to be far preferable though for multiple reasons, including being cost-controlled for 2 more years (possibly a 3rd.)

If Bones was an "asset" he wouldn't be firmly planted on the bench. He is a shorter, lighter Jamal Crawford without as good of a shot. He isn't someone that is going to be a difference maker in the playoffs.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,494

Post#89 » by Ballings7 » Fri Dec 1, 2023 12:57 am

Awesome win, best of the year

That is great to read about Kobe Brown.. I think he's going to be a factor ultimately off the bench. Save PJ for spot games, situations, and match ups.

Kawhi looked great. I'm not worried about him or doubting him, playing at an elite level, and is capable of it every game.

Kawhi loves to play against the Warriors and historically plays well against them; and relishes those match ups against their core -- should be a fun game.

Zubac was fantastic, as was Mann, Harden, George.

Lots of guys played well tonight.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics

Return to Los Angeles Clippers