ImageImageImageImageImage

20 games in - what does the West look like?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Re: 20 games in - what does the West look like? 

Post#41 » by ERClips » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:46 pm

I think a big motivation to move up is to avoid Suns or Pelicans in the first round. Whether we have home court against them doesn’t seem like a huge advantage for us. Almost feel better about the road with the Clippers.

Minny without Towns isn’t gonna make it through in the west.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 998

Post#42 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:35 pm

LamarWho wrote:Lol yea not that big of a deal. He's their 2nd best player. A 50/40/90 shooter. One of the best stretch big in the league. Is he soft? Yea. Is he a constant crybaby on foul calls? Yea. Saying it's not a big deal is just straight up foolish.

He is their 2nd leading scorer, not 2nd best player. If Ant goes down, their team suffers offensively and defensively. If Gobert goes down, their D is severely impacted. Charmin going down just means they need other players to step up in the scoring department. They will be able to get out in transition more. The Wolves are a ridiculous 100 with Gobert and Naz Reid on the court together.

Charmin's absence may be the best thing long term for Minny. They can see what their team looks like moving forward. Might make them consider moving Charmin in the off-season before his extension kicks in. He will be making $14M -$18M per season MORE than Ant over that extension. Ant can't be the #1 in those conditions. Charmin to GS or Brooklyn.

Here is what Minny is going to see more of now:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matissa/2023/11/24/why-naz-reid-makes-karl-anthony-towns-expendable/?sh=7e329174229c
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#43 » by ERClips » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:07 am

Who’s everybody kidding though?
Barring any serious injuries Denver is the team to beat.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#44 » by Ballings7 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:33 am

Minnesota's problem without KAT has now come to reality, and it showed tonight against Cleveland.

Edwards will be playing 40+ minutes a night without decent, consistent spacing around him as a team. Gonna be some tough-ish, long nights for him I think.

Starting lineup went 1-12 from three.

The game at Indiana was amazing though; quite a bit because Indiana doesn't defend.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#45 » by donemilio21 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:26 pm

Looking at the schedule of us and other west teams, there is a very real possibility of us entering April as a play-in team. :o
Players and Lue downplaying regular season and saying "they'll turn it up in playoffs" has no bearing if you put yourself in situation of "lose one game and you are out".
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Post#46 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:28 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Looking at the schedule of us and other west teams, there is a very real possibility of us entering April as a play-in team. :o
Players and Lue downplaying regular season and saying "they'll turn it up in playoffs" has no bearing if you put yourself in situation of "lose one game and you are out".

I can't think of a team less built for the play-in, too. We have two of the biggest choke artists in the NBA and a coach who already blew it last time we were in the play-in.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

You Had "One Job" 

Post#47 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:03 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Looking at the schedule of us and other west teams, there is a very real possibility of us entering April as a play-in team. :o

That's what they seem to want. When they were down 2-0 in the 2021 NBA Playoffs, all they thought of at that time was "Lose one more, you're automatically out." Even though you actually need to win four times to advance, going down 3-0 was the equivalent of an automatic win as no team has ever come back from down 3-0. The best they could do is tie the series to a Game 7 like what the Celtics did last season, but that's it: you are only allowed to tie a series, not beat it. So the fear of being down 3-0 was akin to what you just said, and that's the only reason why Clippers got to a conference finals in a first place.

Teams have come back from 2-0 before, and Clippers are no stranger to that. But what if they actually get their wish, down 3-0 and an automatic series loss? Worse, if Leonard and George were to get tossed from a game, Westbrook has a setback, Harden joins the other superstars, and Clippers are forced to pull off a Hail Mary with a Revenge Of The Role Players Redux. They want a situation to be so difficult, so impossible, so ambitious to the point of unbeatable, just so they can an attempt a Cy Schneider "Against The Odds" Herculean feat, and for what? Just to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers!?

Yeah, this is why I've always called Clippers the losers, even though I want them to succeed. Clipper fans have prayed for the franchise to be normal like everyone else, but they go out of their way to be spectacular, and the end result is their efforts being left in vain, if not used against them.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#48 » by clipperlover » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:57 am

If you are looking at the win column, then you are looking wrong. You have to look at the loss column. Clip are up 3 wins in the loss column. Over our last 10 games, we have gone 5-5. The Kings have went 7-3. There are only 12 games left in the season to make up 3 additional games.

Based on Phoenix's remaining schedule, they have a better chance ending up #9, #10 or out of the playoff/playin than #6.
Kings and Mavs have 2 games against each other, so either they both move back 4 losses from us or one of them moves back 5 losses. Kings also have a difficult road trip on the horizon while still having to play us and the Pelicans.

We have to beat a team with a winning record for the first time since the All-Star break though. We are getting opponent's best shots, but I don't think we have been giving our best shot.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#49 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm

On a side note, Big Government is having a pretty good year statistically-

In 20 MPG (18 starts)- 10/1.8/3.8 (1.3 TOV) on 44%/35.6%/78.8%.

Not that he would fit on this roster, but he always gave us a little more pep in our step (when he wasn't totally gassed out trying to do too much for us.)
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#50 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:23 pm

clipperlover wrote:

If you are looking at the win column, then you are looking wrong. You have to look at the loss column. Clip are up 3 wins in the loss column. Over our last 10 games, we have gone 5-5. The Kings have went 7-3. There are only 12 games left in the season to make up 3 additional games.

Based on Phoenix's remaining schedule, they have a better chance ending up #9, #10 or out of the playoff/playin than #6.
Kings and Mavs have 2 games against each other, so either they both move back 4 losses from us or one of them moves back 5 losses. Kings also have a difficult road trip on the horizon while still having to play us and the Pelicans.

We have to beat a team with a winning record for the first time since the All-Star break though. We are getting opponent's best shots, but I don't think we have been giving our best shot.

Looking at the loss column. Dallas and Kings have only 2 losses less than us. Our last 5 wins came against Rockets, Bulls and Blazers. We have one game against a team of that level in the next 5. Finishing the season 6-5 seems doubtful to me, which is theoretically minimum what we would need to stay at least 6th seed. It is far more likely we'd go 4-7 and go into playoffs 8th seed. It is concerning. :cry:
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#51 » by clipperlover » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:39 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Looking at the loss column. Dallas and Kings have only 2 losses less than us. Our last 5 wins came against Rockets, Bulls and Blazers. We have one game against a team of that level in the next 5. Finishing the season 6-5 seems doubtful to me, which is theoretically minimum what we would need to stay at least 6th seed. It is far more likely we'd go 4-7 and go into playoffs 8th seed. It is concerning. :cry:

We aren't falling into the play-in. You have to look at the schedules those teams are playing also. SAC has to make up 3 losses and 2 wins in 10 games while facing Dal, @Knicks, @Celtics, @Thunder, NOP and Clips

GS, Hou, Phoenix and the Lakers will be fighting for 8-10.

GS and Hou both have to play Dallas 2 times each as well as each other once. GS has 7 of 10 left on the road.
Phoenix has a brutal end to the season. Playing all Top 5 WC teams + Cleveland
Houston has 7 of 11 on the road where they have 10 wins all year. Their remaining home games are Dall, GS, Miami and Orlando.

Lakers road is no picnic. In the media, it appears they are looking strong and ready to complete for the title, but let's peel back that onion:
1. Prior to last night, they played 11 of their last 15 at home (including a 6 game homestand, @Sac and 4 game homestand stretch)
2. Prior to last night, they played 13 of their last 15 at Crypto
3. Prior to last night, they played 15 of 15 in the Pacific Time Zone (CA and AZ, so short flights)
4. Since Feb 5, Lakers haven't had to spend more than 1 night away from their homes. Makes for a lot of access to their facilities and practice time.
5. Lakers were 9-6 during that very favorable schedule stretch
6. Until tonight, they haven't played a back to back since @Clips and then Wiz on 2/28-2/29.
7. They haven't played an away back to back since the end of January.
8. They have 7 of their last 10 on the road where they are 13-20 on the season.

Clips last 15:
1. Central Time Zone twice (3 game trip, then 2 game trip)
2. Both Central Time Zone trips had games in the top of the timezone and bottom of the timezone causing late arrivals
3. After the 3 game Central trip, we were presented with a Daylight Savings Time matinee back to back
4. 4 Back to Backs
Just a brutal stretch of games. Despite all of that, Clips went 7-8.

At least, our upcoming road trip has no back to backs. We also don't come back to a matinee home game.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

We All Keep Forgetting 

Post#52 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 pm

Has anyone considered that Clippers may end up getting Mavericks again in the 1st round? I'm not saying I want it, I'm saying that Mavs have been doing okay so far. The scenario for Clippers-Mavericks III can still happen.

Also, keep in mind, Clippers have always been to the 2nd round or further when their 1st round opponent is the Mavericks. One more win, and something huge could happen. I always follow a Rule Of Three, after all.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#53 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 pm

clipperlover wrote:Lakers road is no picnic. In the media, it appears they are looking strong and ready to complete for the title, but let's peel back that onion:
1. Prior to last night, they played 11 of their last 15 at home (including a 6 game homestand, @Sac and 4 game homestand stretch)
2. Prior to last night, they played 13 of their last 15 at Crypto

3. Prior to last night, they played 15 of 15 in the Pacific Time Zone (CA and AZ, so short flights)
4. Since Feb 5, Lakers haven't had to spend more than 1 night away from their homes. Makes for a lot of access to their facilities and practice time.
5. Lakers were 9-6 during that very favorable schedule stretch
6. Until tonight, they haven't played a back to back since @Clips and then Wiz on 2/28-2/29.
7. They haven't played an away back to back since the end of January.
8. They have 7 of their last 10 on the road where they are 13-20 on the season.

I admit it took me a second to parse out #1 vs. #2. :lol:

Clips last 15:
1. Central Time Zone twice (3 game trip, then 2 game trip)
2. Both Central Time Zone trips had games in the top of the timezone and bottom of the timezone causing late arrivals
3. After the 3 game Central trip, we were presented with a Daylight Savings Time matinee back to back
4. 4 Back to Backs
Just a brutal stretch of games. Despite all of that, Clips went 7-8.

At least, our upcoming road trip has no back to backs. We also don't come back to a matinee home game.

While we'd like to think NBA players lead pampered lives of comfort and luxury, these details are very valid to point out and consider- especially for an older team. While obviously better trained and conditioned, a 32 year old NBA player in actuality has more the body of a 40 year old regular guy because of all the miles (figuratively.)

Looking back at our recent stretch, we certainly didn't go gangbusters but the only really bad beat was ATL IMO (it was really bad though!) Getting the next 3 would really help to make up for that one.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: We All Keep Forgetting 

Post#54 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Has anyone considered that Clippers may end up getting Mavericks again in the 1st round? I'm not saying I want it, I'm saying that Mavs have been doing okay so far. The scenario for Clippers-Mavericks III can still happen.

Also, keep in mind, Clippers have always been to the 2nd round or further when their 1st round opponent is the Mavericks. One more win, and something huge could happen. I always follow a Rule Of Three, after all.

Looking at remaining schedules for Mavs and Pels, I'd say it's actually more likely than not. The series would be James Harden vs. Mavs announcer guy.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#55 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:24 pm

Malik Monk and Lauri Markannen are both out for awhile and will miss upcoming games against us. We play Utah twice and they are in full tank mode.

I think we get 50 for sure. My over/under would be 51, depending on if we actually need to win the last game or 2 to keep a seed. I'd rather us lock the 4th seed before end of year and drop a couple of games to rest our guys.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#56 » by clipperlover » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:19 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Malik Monk and Lauri Markannen are both out for awhile and will miss upcoming games against us. We play Utah twice and they are in full tank mode.

I think we get 50 for sure. My over/under would be 51, depending on if we actually need to win the last game or 2 to keep a seed. I'd rather us lock the 4th seed before end of year and drop a couple of games to rest our guys.

I could be wrong, but based on the tiebreakers, I think our magic number for locking in #4 comes down to the following:
Dal - 6
NOP - 7

Unfortunately, DAL could run the table, so we may need to be playing to the end.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#57 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:52 pm

clipperlover wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Malik Monk and Lauri Markannen are both out for awhile and will miss upcoming games against us. We play Utah twice and they are in full tank mode.

I could be wrong, but based on the tiebreakers, I think our magic number for locking in #4 comes down to the following:
Dal - 6
NOP - 7

Unfortunately, DAL could run the table, so we may need to be playing to the end.

Roughly in order of difficulty- Utah twice, Houston, Sacramento, Phoenix twice, Cleveland, Denver

If Dallas can lose a game that would be the most helpful, and winning tomorrow against Kings would be pretty important.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#58 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:43 pm

2 wins against Utah, 1 win against Houston and 1 win against Phoenix guarantees 6th seed, might be just enough to keep #4.
If we go 1-2 in the next 3 games (Denver at home, and then Cleveland matinee with Utah in between) , last week is going to be stressful.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#59 » by esqtvd » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#60 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers