ImageImageImageImageImage

20 games in - what does the West look like?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,097

Re: 20 games in - what does the West look like? 

Post#21 » by LamarWho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:46 pm

The west is as competitive as ever. Imaging having to play teams like Dallas, Nola and the Lakers in the 1st round, when you are the higher seed. If a team like Minny loses to the Lakers in the 1st round, I wouldn't even call that an upset.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,750

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:02 pm

LamarWho wrote:The west is as competitive as ever. Imaging having to play teams like Dallas, Nola and the Lakers in the 1st round, when you are the higher seed. If a team like Minny loses to the Lakers in the 1st round, I wouldn't even call that an upset.

There is a such a tight cluster within #1-4, and #5-8, if the season ended this weekend we would have no idea yet where we would end up, nor who we'd play at that seed.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#23 » by clipperlover » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:23 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
LamarWho wrote:The west is as competitive as ever. Imaging having to play teams like Dallas, Nola and the Lakers in the 1st round, when you are the higher seed. If a team like Minny loses to the Lakers in the 1st round, I wouldn't even call that an upset.

There is a such a tight cluster within #1-4, and #5-8, if the season ended this weekend we would have no idea yet where we would end up, nor who we'd play at that seed.

Think the West playoff picture is now down to 11 teams. While Houston was a nice story, I just don't see them making a run that overcomes the three losses they are behind in the standings. LOL, GS and Utah will battle for those last 2 play-in spots. The Warriors have gotten hot since Draymond returned, but it is only a matter of time before he is no longer on his best behavior. I give think Utah hangs around and pulls off one of the play-in spots. LOL or GS is going to have some struggle down the stretch that will allow Utah to sneak past them.

Top 2 spots in the West will end up being LAC and Den. Minny and OKC will fall out of the top 2 as the end of season draws closer and everything starts to have a playoff atmosphere. Dallas and its new new additions likely end up 5 at worst.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#24 » by clipperlover » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:42 pm

After last night's win, the Clips are very solidly locked into the Top 4. We are 5 games up in the loss column on the #6 and #6 seeds with only 29 games to go.

We would have to lose 5 of those 29 just to tie while they couldn't lose any more games. Suns and Pelicans still have to play each other twice, so if they split, then we would need to lose 6 games rest of the way to tie.

Focus for the team should be completely on the #1 spot.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#25 » by esqtvd » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:38 am

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:11 pm

So I guess Kawhi has been making the point recently (and especially after the Minnesota game) that the team has been more or less getting by on talent lately, and that they just need to get down to business again and find that next level. I thought that was really great to hear. We had been winning so many games that it's natural to let up a little...when what you're doing is working so well, why change?

So the last couple of games and the the ASB can serve as a nice mental reset for us, and I think we can find that next gear down the stretch before the playoffs start.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#27 » by jengmann3 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 pm

Would you take 20-9. What seed do you think that would get the team.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:30 am

I don't have the stats but it's felt like Harden isn't taking as many as he has historically--or even with the Sixers last year. But he's still burying them.

Read on Twitter

Very good news indeed. One of the deadliest weapons in the history of the game.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 804

Post#29 » by PeteyPablo » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:40 am

Lob city went 56-26 in 12/13 season and 13/14 season.

If this team can beat that record this season, that would be the bench mark.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#30 » by clipperlover » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:39 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:Lob city went 56-26 in 12/13 season and 13/14 season.

If this team can beat that record this season, that would be the bench mark.

The team should be shooting for 60 wins. 20-9 the rest of the way gets to 56. 24-5 gets to 60. 15 of the remaining 29 are at home.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:53 pm

I read that the ESPN predictor (which typically seems neutral to favorable to us most game nights) has us at 20-9. I would love to match the best Lob City seasons or even get 60, but I am pretty sure the W-L record is only going to be secondary to how I feel about the team as it goes into the playoffs (assuming we are in top 3 or 4.)

When our team plays good defense it looks like they are putting a lot of hustle and effort into it, and I think we'll do a reasonable job doing that. But when our team plays good offense it looks absolutely effortless, which is a different animal. We've lost a little bit of that offensive flow lately, that's one of the main things I'll be looking for us to get back and really establish in the remaining games.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#32 » by ERClips » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:37 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I read that the ESPN predictor (which typically seems neutral to favorable to us most game nights) has us at 20-9. I would love to match the best Lob City seasons or even get 60, but I am pretty sure the W-L record is only going to be secondary to how I feel about the team as it goes into the playoffs (assuming we are in top 3 or 4.)

When our team plays good defense it looks like they are putting a lot of hustle and effort into it, and I think we'll do a reasonable job doing that. But when our team plays good offense it looks absolutely effortless, which is a different animal. We've lost a little bit of that offensive flow lately, that's one of the main things I'll be looking for us to get back and really establish in the remaining games.

I think getting that Harden-Zu connection back will be vital opening up the offense to the perimeter guys. If Zu can roll with confidence to either finish or dish it out to a shooter/slasher we’ll get a lot of good looks. That’s been missing since his injury & return.
We may be a small team because of the PF position but with Zu we do have good size and rim protection. Unfortunately he’s switched out to the perimeter a lot or covering his own man who can also shoot 3’s.
Also, if Mann shoots with confidence and can give us some opportunistic points that really helps. 8-10 from him and 10-14 from Coffey is a great thing.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#33 » by clipperlover » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:47 pm

clipperlover wrote:After last night's win, the Clips are very solidly locked into the Top 4. We are 5 games up in the loss column on the #6 and #6 seeds with only 29 games to go.

We would have to lose 5 of those 29 just to tie while they couldn't lose any more games. Suns and Pelicans still have to play each other twice, so if they split, then we would need to lose 6 games rest of the way to tie.

Focus for the team should be completely on the #1 spot.

Suns have lost twice now and Pelicans once, so the Clips loss is offset and those 5 and 6 seeds prior to the break have gained no ground. We are still perfectly situated to go 20-9 or better post break. Beating SAC next game will put them 6 losses back. SAC and DAL have multiple games against each other as do NOP and PHX. Still believe we are locked into a playoff position in the Top 4 with the #1 spot well within reach.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#34 » by Ballings7 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:01 pm

I'm just not that worried about OKC's success in the playoffs.. the drop off after SGA.. of for their combination of stability, reliable above-"good" talent, is noticable.

Jalen Williams is a good young two-way player, but he's not an all-star level wing. Maybe one day he is, but is he going to be a tier-2 guy that they need next to Shai? I don't think so at least within the next year or so, because he's fairly undersized even with his wingspan. Core guy on the wing for them in the starting line-up, sure.

Giddey is a solid utility bigger wing, but he's not someone like Kukoc, Hedo, or even prime MIke Miller.. he may break out a bit in the POs, who knows, but I don't think he's proven and polished enough as an overall offensive threat.

They have way less size up front than this team at this time, let alone at the 3/4 forward spots. Chet is Chet, and at best a question mark as a rookie in the playoffs.

Chet could be really good and a force, but the likelyhood that he is consistently impactful on both ends over a series is not in their favor.

OKC is a fun regular season story for the league and writers to promote the league, but I will be shocked if they get out of the 2nd round without respectable luck (like injuries to some team).

I just don't see them going that far and aren't built reliably for a long playoff run. A team like Golden State or Lakers or Dallas healthy, will basically be the favs against them.

----

Minnesota, are more well off for sure in terms of being built for a long(er) postseason run -- I think have quality potential to get to the WCF, and are a respectable threat to Denver, next to the Clips..

But I question how well KAT and AntMan can carry the load with the rest of their group offensively (which is a pretty nice and deep group of role-guys who bring different things), when the other doesn't have it going or is in foul trouble, etc. And then, defenses are zoning in on their sets more.

Who's going to be the consistent threat on offense to help them out, when there's a struggle from KAT/AntEd? Guess we'll see. Will Edwards come out to be a dominant wing like prime Kobe, Jordan, Wade, or Manu (2005)? Or is that maybe another year away? Guess we'll see.

I definitely respect the TWolves more than OKC right now as a long-haul threat, and against this team, and looking forward to those two games left against them in March, and the Pelicans game remaining as well.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#35 » by donemilio21 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:12 am

something interesting I noticed while looking at the standings, and dove into a little detail.
against the 3 top teams of the West, that's Denver, Minnesota and OKC, our record is 2-6. There is only one Western conference team with a winning record against those 3. That's the Kings and they are 6-2 against them. Mike Brown must be doing something right, we need to figure out what that is.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by LamarWho » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:08 pm

Well, this is big

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#37 » by clipperlover » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:20 pm

LamarWho wrote:Well, this is big

Read on Twitter

Don't think it will be that big of a deal for them. He is a 7 footer that has only achieved 7 Double Doubles in his last 34 games. Over that same time period Zubac has more double-doubles and he sat out 12 games while not being a top 3 scoring option. Minny will have other guys pick up the scoring.

Minny was entering a tough stretch with or without Charmin. 8 of their next 11 games are against teams that are locked into playoff/play-in seeding fights. They have a 6 game road stretch starting @Indy and 7 of the next 11are on the road. After their 6 game road trip, they get Denver and Cle as the 1st 2 opponents at home.

Clips still have strong chance to get #1 or #2 seed. #1 getting harder. However 6 of OKC's last 8 road games are against tough competition.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,206

Post#38 » by og15 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:50 pm

clipperlover wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Well, this is big

Read on Twitter

Don't think it will be that big of a deal for them. He is a 7 footer that has only achieved 7 Double Doubles in his last 34 games. Over that same time period Zubac has more double-doubles and he sat out 12 games while not being a top 3 scoring option. Minny will have other guys pick up the scoring.

Minny was entering a tough stretch with or without Charmin. 8 of their next 11 games are against teams that are locked into playoff/play-in seeding fights. They have a 6 game road stretch starting @Indy and 7 of the next 11are on the road. After their 6 game road trip, they get Denver and Cle as the 1st 2 opponents at home.

Clips still have strong chance to get #1 or #2 seed. #1 getting harder. However 6 of OKC's last 8 road games are against tough competition.

It's definitely a big blow to them. Yes, you can replace scoring, though not necessarily at his efficiency and they are already a weaker offense.

Who cares about his rebounds and double doubles when he's playing next to Gobert and they are 4th in the league in DRB%. He could go steal some rebounds from Rudy so his stats look better but they wouldn't make them a better team or a better rebounding team.

The Wolves don't have scorers and just lost one of their two main ones. They'll survive the regular season, but without him they are simply not going to be anywhere as strong in the playoffs.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer

Post#39 » by LamarWho » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:34 pm

Lol yea not that big of a deal. He's their 2nd best player. A 50/40/90 shooter. One of the best stretch big in the league. Is he soft? Yea. Is he a constant crybaby on foul calls? Yea. Saying it's not a big deal is just straight up foolish.
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 804

Post#40 » by PeteyPablo » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:08 pm

from what I have been seeing the past couple of weeks , post All Star. The Clippers defense and activity has been slacking.

Yesterday we saw how much better they are when locked in defensively ( as is any team ).

Offense - they have been missing shots and seem to be a step too slow running an offense. It is a long season and maybe they are fatigued but they need to get back into a groove before the post season.

21 games are left in the season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers